• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

Ferrari has made a better strategy call than Red Bull? What world is this?

The old Finn still has it in him. Great defending there.

Just let them say what they want I reckon. There's no clever way to do this.

Someone needs to take a stand at this point and just say what they want

Danny Ric is miles back now

DBT85

Just let them say what they want I reckon. There's no clever way to do this.

Someone needs to take a stand at this point and just say what they want

All we ages for was for teams to stop telling drivers that they should brake later in turn 3,or use 5th though turn 7 and that shit. From that desire the FIA came up with this bollocks.

mclem

Instructions to not shift gears. He's allowed to drive through pitlane to receive such instructions from this GP onwards, but this was given on track.

I don't agree the need for these rules, but yeah...

If you *are* going to have rules of this nature, perhaps it should work in a way kinda akin to the 'overtaking outside track limits' rule: if circumstances mean you have to break the rules, you're given the leeway to compensate for it yourself before penalties come into play.

So in this example, wouldn't it solve all the problems demonstrated so far is if the rule was tweaked to 'you can communicate fully in the pit or if you go into the pit within two laps of the communication' ? That gives the scope to give enough info to get to the pit safely.

Zeknurn

At least a Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel podium is something new and exciting.

I miss the first five races of this season. Oh well.

All we ages for was for teams to stop telling drivers that they should brake later in turn 3,or use 5th though turn 7 and that shit. From that desire the FIA came up with this bollocks.

Yes but then you have to make a distinction between where it might be an brake safety issue and coaching. It's too difficult, that's why the rules are so restrictive

DBT85

Yes but then you have to make a distinction between where it might be an brake safety issue and coaching. It's too difficult, that's why the rules are so restrictive

It's really not difficult. If the car has a mechanical issue it's fine. It's telling them how to drive the actual car that is the problem. Don't change gear clearly isn't coaching, it's preventing the car going bang.

It's really not difficult. If the car has a mechanical issue it's fine. It's telling them how to drive the actual car that is the problem. Don't change gear clearly isn't coaching, it's preventing the car going bang.

The teams will get clever though. Then it's a problem

spuckthew

Tbh unless Rosberg is well under a second, there's almost no chance he'll overtake easily.

If Ham is struggling, Rosberg isn't doing much about it.

Par Score

You need to be a couple of seconds a lap quicker here to overtake easily, under normal circumstances, so even if Lewis is struggling it's going to be hell for Rosberg to pass.

Mokubba

I think it's just taking a while for the Mercs to get the softs working.

You could tell from Lewis' outlap once he put them on.

DBT85

The teams will get clever though. Then it's a problem

Then you address it from there. That's how the rules of F1 have been made since the start. Make rule, teams work something out, make new rule.

Nobody wanted this, nobody asked for this. Just one more way that the FIA and the powers that be in F1 have their heads buried in their own arseholes.

Then you address it from there. That's how the rules of F1 have been made since the start. Make rule, teams work something out, make new rule.

Nobody wanted this, nobody asked for this. Just one more way that the FIA and the powers that be in F1 have their heads buried in their own arseholes.

I reckon eventually we'd be sat here discussing whether a coded or not coded message should decide the outcome of a race

And that would be the worst possible outcome

Ty4on

I agree. There should be an exception if it's to deal with mechanical problems or the team can prove a problem was likely (like high brake temperatures). I don't see how that can be exploited to coach drivers. "Avoid changing gears" is a very different message to "use gear X in turn Y" or "brake later in turn Z". IIRC they are still allowed to tell them default modes to activate as long as performance isn't improved over what it was prior to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom