• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

DBT85

FIA just upped the minimum weight limit for this season to 728kg because they finally got a number from Pirelli on how heavy the new tyres are (6kg more).

Cars will now be 26kg heavier than last year.

KdotIX

With Liberty's take over of F1, could they be more lenient with the licensing in terms of games? For example, let a game maker with the licence have cars from the past? Have a season spanning from 2010-2017 - with driver changes as they happened in real life? Even let the player work their way up from GP3 to F2 to F1?

Mastah

Ron is gone, MP4 name is gone too:

McLaren ‏@McLarenF1 3m3 minutes ago

2017 is all about change, and our car name is changing too. Ladies and gents, get set for the McLaren-Honda MCL32. #MCL32 #ChangeYourName

xrnzaaas

Kubica will be fulltime in the WEC this year with ByKolles the privateer LMP1 team.

I'm very happy to hear this. :) The only thing that makes me sad is that we'll only have five LMP1 cars and only two competing manufacturers.

With Liberty's take over of F1, could they be more lenient with the licensing in terms of games? For example, let a game maker with the licence have cars from the past? Have a season spanning from 2010-2017 - with driver changes as they happened in real life? Even let the player work their way up from GP3 to F2 to F1?

There's a bigger problem imo - is F1 2017 even coming? Afaik Codemaster's deal ended with F1 2016 and unless they renegotiated to get a much better extension I don't see them making another F1 game. F1 2016 was their best F1 game and it still sold much worse than F1 2015.

I'm still hoping for a new F1 manager game at some point. Motorsport Manager looks great and all, but it's better when you have all cars, drivers and tracks without having to rely on mods or use your imagination. ;)

Zaru

One can dream, since multi-season games (e.g. 99-02 Challenge, or GP3/4 with season addons) happened before. Though they don't need to get as lenient as during the 90s when more F1 games came out in a year than Codemasters made in total or something.
The issue is of course, can a modern F1 game deliver all these features in a satisfying way? Game production costs obviously increased since back in the day.

The 2010-2017 thing is pretty much impossible at a consistent quality level, since both tracks and drivers/personell are scanned/photographed for current gen. This data doesn't EXIST for the previous years, or only in much lower quality.

And it's not like the F1 organization is the only one with a word to say here, some drivers had licensing on their likeness (cough Jack Newville cough)

KdotIX

There's a bigger problem imo - is F1 2017 even coming? Afaik Codemaster's deal ended with F1 2016 and unless they renegotiated to get a much better extension I don't see them making another F1 game. F1 2016 was their best F1 game and it still sold much worse than F1 2015.

I'm still hoping for a new F1 manager game at some point. Motorsport Manager looks great and all, but it's better when you have all cars, drivers and tracks without having to rely on mods or use your imagination. ;)

Codies have been tweeting photos of driver head scans for what I assume will be another instalment for their franchise.

Motorsport manager with Enzolis F1 2016 mod makes the base game great because it also includes GP3, GP2 teams as well as F1. It's really worth checking out. Also mod support for it should be easier because it now has Steam Workshop. The modder is also making a mod for the 2017 season

xrnzaaas

Codies have been tweeting photos of driver head scans for what I assume will be another instalment for their franchise.

Motorsport manager with Enzolis F1 2016 mod makes the base game great because it also includes GP3, GP2 teams as well as F1. It's really worth checking out. Also mod support for it should be easier because it now has Steam Workshop. The modder is also making a mod for the 2017 season

I didn't know there were mods available already, looks like I'm buying the game. :)

DBT85

Meh, the name was all to do with a cigarette maker and an old Ron Dennis team. Neither of which are involved any more. Maybe they'll get over it with the 1500bhp engine Honda will dominate with this year.

lol, so apparently there's a whole bunch of McLaren fans pissed off about the name change. Delicate little snowflakes.

Some nostalgic bullshit I guess.

Lets be fair here. Formula 1 is a nostalgic sport in some ways. It's not surprising that fans get upset, when one of the oldest teams on the grid changes the naming structure of their car.

Imagine Ferrari showing up with a blue livery one day.

KdotIX

It's a codename ffs. It's pathetic.

It is silly for so many people to get bent out of shape for the model number/codename of a car. It's not like MP4 sounds better than MCL.

What I don't get is why didn't they start with "MCL-1" instead of "MCL-32".

It is silly for so many people to get bent out of shape for the model number/codename of a car. It's not like MP4 sounds better than MCL.

MP4 stood for Marlboro-Project 4 as a joint venture of sorts between Marlboro and Ron Dennis's Project 4 team and ever since the the Chassis had the first MP4/# and later MP4-/

Before that the Chassis were just M#

Just to keep some form of legacy to Mclaren history likely

Mastah

That's interesting, Wehrlein's neck injury sustained in this accident is more severe than it was previously thought. He may miss first or even both pre-season tests:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/wehrlein-verletzung-test-verzicht-11678435.html

edit: And few minutes later:

Sauber F1 Team ‏@SauberF1Team 5m5 minutes ago

1/2 Current rumors about Pascal Wehrlein in the media: The medical examinations are still ongoing.

2/2 Therefore, the reports are pure speculations. We will provide information in due time.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Zeknurn

E4rcyB0.png

We're getting close. This off-season flew by quickly.

Was there a greater "team" blunder suffered by Red Bull since they're championship contenders? I missed most of their competitive years

I can't think of anything worse.

DBT85

What we knew was coming anyway, that 1500bhp engine will save them.

A McLaren spokesman told Autosport: "Jost Capito joined McLaren after four successful years at VW Motorsport, with a strong commitment to bringing success back to McLaren.

"He wanted to build again a winning team and fully focus on making the McLaren Formula 1 car competitive, with the aim of winning world championships in coming years.
"Regrettably, we have not been able to find common ground with Jost with regard to what is and will be needed to make the team successful again.

"As a result, we have agreed that he will leave McLaren Racing and will now consider other opportunities.

"We wish him success in his future endeavours."

Aiii

So not worth it
150.000 dollars for a terribly ugly watch, that's lovely. I especially appreciate the neon red huge ass button on the side, looks just like the neon red/blue Switch.

h3ro

Rafa Nadal's custom RMs tend to be a bit more understated. Never been a fan of their design, they're way too " check how many bottles I bought at this club" for me.

Top Bottom