• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

DBT85

Now, that's a sexy looking car.

Put a V10 in one and call it F1000.

The redbull design looks way better, but we can't get nice things in f1.

IIRC the Red Bull design failed the "tyres at the head" test which is the whole reason for them in the first place. Though I'm sure it could be made to work.

I have no issues with enclosed cockpits personally. The whole reason for the need for rapid egress from the car was due to cars exploding after a fuel tank went pop. That doesn't happen any more and hasn't since the fancy new tanks were mandated years ago.

itsgreen

Now, that's a sexy looking car.

Put a V10 in one and call it F1000.

IIRC the Red Bull design failed the "tyres at the head" test which is the whole reason for them in the first place. Though I'm sure it could be made to work.

I have no issues with enclosed cockpits personally. The whole reason for the need for rapid egress from the car was due to cars exploding after a fuel tank went pop. That doesn't happen any more and hasn't since the fancy new tanks were mandated years ago.

I believe they succeeded, but the teams had more experience with the Halo, so they opted for that.

Zaru

My god, the first reveals are in a week.

The first tests are only as far away as the 2 week wait between races. YESSS

Zaru

The rest (so far):

20 Feb Sauber F1 Team
21 Feb Renault
22 Feb Sahara Force India F1
23 Feb Mercedes AMG Petronas
24 Feb Scuderia Ferrari
24 Feb McLaren Honda
26 Feb Scuderia Toro Rosso

Someone better do a reveal on the 25th
I need a new car per day

Elros

The rest (so far):

20 Feb Sauber F1 Team
21 Feb Renault
22 Feb Sahara Force India F1
23 Feb Mercedes AMG Petronas
24 Feb Scuderia Ferrari
24 Feb McLaren Honda
26 Feb Scuderia Toro Rosso

Man, next week is going to be so exciting ! And the week after too, with the first pre-season tests ... D-7 until the new season begins !

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
GP2 champion, Pierre Gasly has been confirmed at Team Mugen Honda for the 2017 Super Formula season.

http://www.motorsport.com/super-formula/news/gasly-confirmed-at-mugen-for-2017-super-formula-season-873224/

super-formula-pierre-gasly-red-bull-unveil-2017-car-of-pierre-gasly-team-mugen.jpg

Mastah

Esteban Ocon ‏@OconEsteban 1m1 minute ago

This winter was hard. But Goals are reached +5kg of muscles, strength and cardio are almost twice better, and all aspects are improved !!

Zaru

For a second I was wondering which drivers would likely fall behind due to laziness but they're probably ALL perfectly coached for maximum efficiency and live on a strict diet.

Zaru

In a sport based on mental reaction and physical capability, plenty.

I'll be honest, I don't know much about what kind of substances are out there.
But I can't think of many ways to enhance driving. The drivers are trained well enough to not collapse after a race anymore, so drugs to stay awake aren't overly important, and if you push your limit beyond your normal capabilities, you risk crashing hard at 300+ km/h.
Anything taken for training outside the car just helps them reach the necessary physical level, but it doesn't really make them superior on track on a race weekend. There's a limit to how much muscle they can put on due to weight rules, it's quality over quantity.
Plus I doubt anything that could enhance reaction times would make much of a difference for someone who's been driving racing cars for as many years as an F1 driver.
Maybe something to boost focus but those are drugs that are currently fed to KIDS, hardly something that can be banned.

Looking it up, it seems people involved in FIA drug testing share my opinion. There's not much out there that would make a notable difference for a F1 driver and they're tested too often, in and out of race weekends, to reliably get away with it.

I'm talking about drugs that would give you the ability to put on 5kg of muscle in an off season. In the actual race, there are quite a few that would work.

Jezbollah

ALL HYPED TO FUCK! lol

Red Bull. It gives you legal wings :)

With regards to performance enhancing drugs like anabolic steroids, or something like ePO is that it aids body recovery from high intensity exercise. You can train for harder in a shorter amount of time. It won't be the only reason you are able to put 5kg on in an off-season, but it will certainly allow you to achieve that more effectively and quickly.

Incidentally, I just saw an article that has Jenson Button quoting that he can't remember when a F1 driver was last drug tested..

Who's to say it's actually 5kg of muscle, aside from his tweet. Hell, I'd say that after a long weight day and downing a cheeseburger afterward. Sure he could've gotten a bit more muscle but I'm gonna say that it's not 5kgs of pure lean muscle weight gained.

Also that FE concept was phenomenal.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Red Bull. It gives you legal wings :)

With regards to performance enhancing drugs like anabolic steroids, or something like ePO is that it aids body recovery from high intensity exercise. You can train for harder in a shorter amount of time. It won't be the only reason you are able to put 5kg on in an off-season, but it will certainly allow you to achieve that more effectively and quickly.

Incidentally, I just saw an article that has Jenson Button quoting that he can't remember when a F1 driver was last drug tested..

Tomas Enge was suspended by the FIA after failing a drug test while racing in the former GT1 Championship. It wasn't the first time, he was busted while competing in Formula 3000.

http://www.motorsport.com/bss/news/fia-suspends-tomas-enge-for-18-months-for-failing-drug-test/

Aiii

So not worth it
China, apparently.

---

Honda chief Yusuke Hasegawa admits choosing a completely different concept for its 2017 Formula 1 engine is a risk.

After a miserable return to F1 with McLaren in 2015, Honda made gains last year but remained at the back of the pack, behind rival manufacturers Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault.

As Honda bids to close that gap further this year, Hasegawa says the Japanese manufacturer is taking a risk with its next generation unit.

"The concept is completely different," he told Autosport.

"It's very high risk, we don't know a lot of things about that new concept.

"We know it will give us a performance advantage but the biggest risk is whether we can realise that potential this year."

McLaren technical director Tim Goss said last month that Honda had completed a redesign of its power unit, aided by the abolishment of the token system.

The unit is set to feature a revised architecture and a new layout in a bid to improve performance and packaging based on lessons learned from the past two seasons.

Hasegawa said the internal combustion engine remains a key focus for Honda but development of other elements are required in tandem to make progress.

"We need to concentrate on the ICE for this year," he said.

"If we improve the engine itself, which means boosting exhaust gas energy, we need to boost the turbine otherwise we cannot perform at the same level in terms of deployment.

"We still have to do some tests and there will be some trial and error.

"I hope we have understood the direction and the elements to focus on.

"But it's not easy to combine the elements to realise the improvements on the ICE completely."

Alonso is going to have a mental breakdown this year.

NHale

"I hope we have understood the direction and the elements to focus on.

no words...

Now I understand why no one is launching their car on the 25th. They are getting the day free to laugh and write articles how McLaren and Ferrari got their design wrong after they launch in the 24th.

Zaru

Now I understand why no one is launching their car on the 25th. They are getting the day free to laugh and write articles how McLaren and Ferrari got their design wrong after they launch in the 24th.

Hey now, this is about the engine. You won't know where they rank on the shitbox scale until the first tests!

https://twitter.com/kappa224/status/831483779520815105

Nice of Ferrari to let Kimi work drunk, it must make things easier for him.

Kimi saw the design of the car and decided to get drunk.

Here's a picture of Arrivabene with a 2017 tyre and a 2016 tyre to cheer you up.

I'm still baffled by the width of the 2017 tyres.

Hahaha, I appreciate it. Thank you.

I'm more baffled by the fact that they haven't fired Arrivabene yet. They probably haven't found a replacement willing to run that shit show.

Top Bottom