• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Zaru

If you had told me at any point last year that 2017 would go on without Rosberg but Bottas at Merc, Massa returning, Paddy Lowe leaving Merc, Ron Dennis getting ousted from McLaren, fucking Ecclestone getting the boot... I wouldn't have believed you.
Pretty decent off-season I'd say.

dubc35

F1: Le Mans feeder series.
Ex-Formula One driver Robert Kubica will make his Le Mans 24 Hours debut and compete in the World Endurance Championship with the ByKolles privateer LMP1 team in 2017.
Eleven-time F1 grand prix winner Rubens Barrichello will also make his Le Mans 24 Hours debut this year, partnering 1988 race winner Jan Lammers at the Racing Team Netherlands LMP2 squad.
2014 WEC champion and former Red Bull F1 driver Mark Webber has been appointed Grand Marshal for the 85th 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Rubens me if old

Jezbollah

Paddys going to Williams. That wont be changing now. He's getting shares and will be a director too.

In the article: "McLaren Team Manager Dave Redding is to leave the outfit for rival Williams."

I was suggesting that Paddy may have suggested to Williams, that Redding would be a good person to acquire after his time at McLaren.

DBT85

Not long till we see the new cars lads!

In the article: "McLaren Team Manager Dave Redding is to leave the outfit for rival Williams."

I was suggesting that Paddy may have suggested to Williams, that Redding would be a good person to acquire after his time at McLaren.

I'm sure, but Paddy is going in at a level above where Redding would be.

Hopefully this is just the start of a bit of a Williams revival with the right people coming in.

chadskin

Oops

Seb had an accident (he went into the barrier approaching the hairpin) during the Pirelli test today - driver okay
C4OexrkXUAApfb4.jpg
C4OeyPaWEAAh3qX.jpg
https://twitter.com/Gianludale27/status/829681352496791552/photo/1

DBT85

I love that it's happened on a warm up lap and that the reason they want to do these tests is because they are worried about how long it takes for the tyres to come up to temperature.

Unrelated, I was reading something the other day about dirty air. It was saying that in recent years with the top of the diffuser being lowered and the rear wings being raised up, coupled with the beam wing being removed has made for worse dirty air behind cars, because the flow from the diffuser doesn't attach to the flow from the rear wing and get thrown up as much as it used to.

It suggested that since the top of the diffusers are higher this year and the rear wings being lower and wider, dirty air might actually improve, as the two flows will interact more and pull the diffuser air up and away from cars behind. Fingers crossed!

Unrelated, I was reading something the other day about dirty air. It was saying that in recent years with the top of the diffuser being lowered and the rear wings being raised up, coupled with the beam wing being removed has made for worse dirty air behind cars, because the flow from the diffuser doesn't attach to the flow from the rear wing and get thrown up as much as it used to.

It suggested that since the top of the diffusers are higher this year and the rear wings being lower and wider, dirty air might actually improve, as the two flows will interact more and pull the diffuser air up and away from cars behind. Fingers crossed!

Here's hoping, but with the front wings still as they are, they're going to still be hyper-sensitive to such things.

Lach

Had such a stressful week that I wasn't able to think about how long it will be until the F1 Tests / any F1 news!

Looking forward to the new Sauber livery. With Nasr/Banco de Brasil gone I'm sure it will be something new.

Mastah

Yeah, I know about it, but for the first time I've watched it in 60fps ;) The feeling of speed is insane, I would love to see similar footage from F1 practice or testing.

Speaking of which, MotoGP broadcast 3 days of testing from Sepang, Malaysia, featuring cameras in the pitlane with reporter, free live timing and commentary from the studio. Indycar right now broadcast oval testing on their YouTube channel. What F1 (pinnacle of the sport, lol) will offer in that respect with "new exciting cars aiming to make F1 great again" running at Barcelona circuit in over 2 weeks? Nothing, as usual, even with Liberty Media at the helm?

dubc35

Yeah, I know about it, but for the first time I've watched it in 60fps ;) The feeling of speed is insane, I would love to see similar footage from F1 practice or testing.

Speaking of which, MotoGP broadcast 3 days of testing from Sepang, Malaysia, featuring cameras in the pitlane with reporter, free live timing and commentary from the studio. Indycar right now broadcast oval testing on their YouTube channel. What F1 (pinnacle of the sport, lol) will offer in that respect with "new exciting cars aiming to make F1 great again" running at Barcelona circuit in over 2 weeks? Nothing, as usual, even with Liberty Media at the helm?

Probably just Ted's Notebook via Sky like the last couple years. :(

DBT85

It'll be limited again this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that change for next year. Liberty simply haven't had control long enough to make many changes like that.

Aiii

So not worth it

I am glad we are giving Liberty some time to sort things out and not call them out on old shit after less than three weeks as owners of F1.

Fox Mulder

Liberty just took over. Hopefully it's in the plans.

NASCAR even puts full races on their YouTube channel like two weeks later, which is still great.

Mastah

It'll be limited again this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that change for next year. Liberty simply haven't had control long enough to make many changes like that.

I am glad we are giving Liberty some time to sort things out and not call them out on old shit after less than three weeks as owners of F1.

Liberty just took over. Hopefully it's in the plans.

NASCAR even puts full races on their YouTube channel like two weeks later, which is still great.

There are FOM cameras during testing. There is detailed live timing available in the pitlane and media centre. I understand it would take some time to set up streaming via app or official site, but I really, really doubt it's that difficult to organize the simplest YouTube stream, if they only want to.

New rules, new cars, which were made significantly faster to create a challenge to drivers, who want to be seen as heroes. If now it's not the time to act quickly and hype up fans to the maximum, giving them a glimpse of what kind of "awesomness" is coming, when is it?

Zaru

That looks more LMP than open wheel formula. Not that I mind, they don't NEED to look like anything in particular. Benefts of a new series.

Top Bottom