• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Zeknurn

ByyjgCj.jpg

Emphasis On Aerodynamic Stability
The most conspicuous changes that define the Sauber C36-Ferrari due to the new regulations are:

The cars are becoming wider again, from 1.80 to 2 metres.
The tyres are 25 % wider.
The front and rear wings are becoming wider as well.
The diffuser is being enlarged.
In total, this means more downforce, more grip and, as a result, faster lap times.

Consequently, work on the concept of the new car was focused on reducing the drag coefficient (due to the wider tyres) to a minimum as well as achieving a significant weight reduction (despite the minimum weight having been raised to 728 kg), for instance by means of the new roll structure. In certain areas of lightweight design the team went to the limits. The aero concept includes the optimisation of the front and rear wings and the underfloor. The radiator, the sidepods and the bodywork were designed to be as slim as possible.

Clear progress was also achieved in terms of additional downforce. The key here is to keep downforce, which is generated via driving, and remain stable in various track sections. Jörg Zander, Technical Director, explains the changes in the development procedure in more precise terms: ”We put greater emphasis on aerodynamic stability as opposed to maximising downforce."
hwQQqGW.jpg

New Regulations
The Sauber C36-Ferrari is a car which, due to the new technical regulations, has been redesigned from scratch. There is not a single part that could be adopted from its C35 predecessor. In 2017, the Ferrari powertrain in the Abu Dhabi 2016 configuration will be used initially together with the C36. One of the changes this season is that only four of the six units of a powertrain can be changed without penalty. In the next few years the number will be further reduced, which is why the manufacturers are going to put greater emphasis on the durability than on the top speed of their units.

Jörg Zander regards the 2016-spec engine as ”a tried and tested system with higher durability to begin with." In addition, with respect to the design resources in planning the development of the C36, Jörg Zander says that ”being able to get started early and defining the engine environment was an advantage because the team was familiar with the engine and the transmission as well as the cooling requirements the engine entailed."

The website finally loaded.

Ok, having looked at the livery for a while I have come to the conclusion that I like it a lot. It's very retro which is no doubt what they were going for due to their 25th anniversary. You got a gorgeous car if you remove the sharkfin from that sideshot.

Lach

I like the color combination (blue / white / gold). But the pattern could be a lot better.

The Shark fin looks bad. I guess we'll have it on all cars?

Overall not too bad.

New Ferrari engine barely needs cooling confirmed.

It's the old ferrari engine.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
That white color looks like a placement holder for any potential major sponsor

And yeah, I think that all cars will have sharkfins...

Mastah

Argh, not one good pic. What excites me the most about 2017 are wide cars with wide tyres and you can't see any of it here :/ Well, waiting for Renault then.

xrnzaaas

The shark fin doesn't look that bad on the Sauber, because it's pretty "hidden", but I reckon it will look horrible on other cars. And it's a shame that they have to go with the "please call us about sponsorship because we want to stay for another 25 years" livery. :(

John_B

The new front and rear wings look great. It gives the car a much more pleasing shape -- like that of an arrow.

It does look quite bulky though.

Lach

The shark fin doesn't look that bad on the Sauber, because it's pretty "hidden", but I reckon it will look horrible on other cars.

It's hidden because of the black backgound. I wonder how it will look in daylight.

Everytime I see the new livery I like it more....

Juicy Bob

I have a really bitter sweet feeling about launch season.

- I like the aggressive shape of the car
- I like the colour scheme
- I like the fact that we're building up to a new season again

- I worry about the lack of sponsors
- I fear about the new aero regs and how they may impact overtaking and the quality of racing
- It just reminds me that Manor are dead and we're down to only 20 cars on the grid again

Aiii

So not worth it
It appears my credit card is working with Now TV, looks like I get to dodge another year of Olav Mol, lets rejoice.

Lemonte

So the guaranteed backmarker with last year's engine will not have a main sponsor?
RIP Sauber unless they've got some kind of funding plan

the Ferrari powertrain in the Abu Dhabi 2016 configuration will be used initially together with the C36.

Could they upgrade to 2017 engine during the season?

Aiii

So not worth it
No, their contract is for the 2016 engine only. And I think the rules prohibit changing the entire engine despite rules now allowing development without points.

DD

I have a weird relationship with orange. It can be a hit or miss, but we're talking about McLaren, so certainly will be a miss.
Also, F* Sauber.

John_B

Only while operating in the grey area that is circumventing geo locks, which technically isn't illegal, yeah.
Also it seems you would need a British Apple-ID to access the apps. It would be damn nice if there was an official streaming service you could subscribe to.

dubc35

I feel the same as others. I kind of like some of the colors but the entire package is way too busy. However, as with all reveals, I'll hold final judgement until I see the cars on the track.

DD was signed to drive for them this season.
I lol'd

Top Bottom