• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Zaru

According to AMuS, Pirelli is expecting most races to be 1-stop and the performance gap between compounds to be smaller than last year.
A direct result of the "less overheating and degradation" requirement. I figure it's kind of hard to find the right "range" for such a tyre when the cars that will use it don't EXIST yet.

So let's recap...

- More downforce dependence, shorter braking distances and wider cars, so following and overtaking could be much more difficult outside DRS straights
- Less tyre strategy variance might rob us of the excitement that the extra compound brought us in 2016
- One less engine for the season so teams might run everything even more conservatively

Literally the only thing that can save us from a boring season is the two top teams being very close to each other.

Zeknurn

According to AMuS, Pirelli is expecting most races to be 1-stop and the performance gap between compounds to be smaller than last year.
A direct result of the "less overheating and degradation" requirement. I figure it's kind of hard to find the right "range" for such a tyre when the cars that will use it don't EXIST yet.

So let's recap...

- More downforce dependence, shorter braking distances and wider cars, so following and overtaking could be much more difficult outside DRS straights
- Less tyre strategy variance might rob us of the excitement that the extra compound brought us in 2016
- One less engine for the season so teams might run everything even more conservatively

Literally the only thing that can save us from a boring season is the two top teams being very close to each other.

At least the cars will look "better" and be quicker!

Aiii

So not worth it
Can we not hold off with complaining about how boring things are until we've had at least one practice session?

Zaru

Can we not hold off with complaining about how boring things are until we've had at least one practice session?

It's not weird to speculate on the effects of major rule changes.

Plus, lower expectations means less possible disappointment!

Mastah

2010 season featured cars with the biggest downforce in the history of F1 (according to Newey) and durable tyres, which could be pushed to the limit all race long. We had double the number of overtakes compared to 2009, the most in 20 years and in the last race 4 drivers from 3 different teams fought for the title.

But sure, it's going to be the worst year ever, blah blah blah.

The fact that this year's cars is gonna have faster laptimes than the best V10 era cars had to offer is exciting enough for me.

Y'all were complaining that cars were getting slower every year and they finally did something about it but it's never enough.

I swear F1 fans are no different than Wrasslin fans :p
there's no pleasing anyone and constantly complaining, reminicing how much better it was in the 80s/90s but you continue to watch it anyway

Aiii

So not worth it
I swear F1 fans are no different than Wrasslin fans :p
there's no pleasing anyone and constantly complaining, reminicing how much better it was in the 80s/90s but you continue to watch it anyway

Pretty much. Before last month, they even had in common that they were franchises ran by ancient out-of-touch dictator CEO's.

Zaru

2010 season featured cars with the biggest downforce in the history of F1 (according to Newey) and durable tyres, which could be pushed to the limit all race long. We had double the number of overtakes compared to 2009, the most in 20 years and in the last race 4 drivers from 3 different teams fought for the title.

But sure, it's going to be the worst year ever, blah blah blah.
I would LOVE nothing more than to be wrong here, you know.

But the big factor you're forgetting here is that 2010 was the first season in a long, long time where refueling was not allowed. That had a major impact on the amount of overtakes even before DRS was introduced and increased it even further, because overtaking people in the pits with different strategies was less feasible.
And that 3 teams were able to win the championship was a complete happenstance. Which is what I've put my hopes on for 2017 as well.

Mastah

What matters is racing in 2010 was good and season was fun, with cars featuring huge downforce and lasting tyres. We have no idea what 2017 has in store, so let's just wait and see until Melbourne at least. Complaining right now, without even seeing first new car, is a bit silly.

All great seasons simply happened. No one thought 2004 would be so dominated by Ferrari after such close year in 2003. Who knows what will happen this year? Maybe it will be a borefest, maybe it will be great. I'm excited for it, because you heard all the drivers saying 2014-16 cars were awful to drive and how they can't wait to taste superfast machines and enjoy racing again.

edit: James Allison joins Merceces as Technical Director from 1st March:

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/me...lison-to-join-mercedes-as-technical-director/

Zaru

because you heard all the drivers saying 2014-16 cars were awful to drive
That's for three main reasons though:
-Easily overheating, quickly degrading tyres
-Fuel saving
-Engine life saving

If Pirelli gets it right then the first reason wont matter anymore.
But what about the other two?
Especially the engine issue since they've got one less engine to work with over the season and some engine manufacturers might do radical changes with the token system gone, leading to another spurt of blown engines unless they drive with conservative engine modes.

DBT85

Merc video explaining some of the rule changes and where performance will be gained.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ONfK64MvBQ

What matters is racing in 2010 was good and season was fun, with cars featuring huge downforce and lasting tyres. We have no idea what 2017 has in store, so let's just wait and see until Melbourne at least. Complaining right now, without even seeing first new car, is a bit silly.

All great seasons simply happened. No one thought 2004 would be so dominated by Ferrari after such close year in 2003. Who knows what will happen this year? Maybe it will be a borefest, maybe it will be great. I'm excited for it, because you heard all the drivers saying 2014-16 cars were awful to drive and how they can't wait to taste superfast machines and enjoy racing again.

edit: James Allison joins Merceces as Technical Director from 1st March:

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/me...lison-to-join-mercedes-as-technical-director/

Have to agree.

And nice. Merc taking advantage of Ferrari's loss.

Aiii

So not worth it
FIA kindly tells the EU to fuck right off:
In light of this, the FIA wishes to make clear the following once again:

Firstly, the prize money allocated in the Formula One World Championship is done so in accordance with the bilateral agreements that exist between each team and the Commercial Rights Holder (CRH). The FIA has no knowledge of these agreements

Secondly, there is no conflict of interest on the part of the FIA with regard to its approval of the change of control of the CRH which has been approved by the World Motor Sport Council taking into consideration exclusively the terms of the existing agreements between the CRH and the FIA and the best interests of the Championship

As per the Agreements made in 2001 for 100 Years, the FIA could only have withheld its consent in the event that the change of control would materially alter the ability of the CRH to fulfil its obligations; it is obvious that the taking of control of the Formula One Group by Liberty does not create such a risk, and nobody has ever suggested a different view in this respect

The FIA would naturally be happy to demonstrate the absence of any conflict of interest to any competent authority that may so request.
http://www.fia.com/news/fia-clarifies-position-sale-one-cent-shareholding-delta-topco

Aiii

So not worth it
I like Bottas, I hope he does well. Reminds me so much of Mika, a nice well-spoken lad off-track, and a great methodical driver on track.

I think a lot of people underestimate him. He'll have an adjustment period for sure, but I think he'll give Lewis quite a challenge in the back half of the season.

DBT85

Fully expecting him to rack up huge miles in testing and in the simulator.

I'm sure he'll push Lewis quite well and might even beat him. I'm sure that would please all of the "Nico" fans.

Zaru

I wonder how much we'll get to see of Bottas' personality now. He'll get more interview and media attention as a top team driver, also possibly standing on the podium a lot more often (though I almost forgot he had 6 podium appearances in 2014).
Not to mention Lewis is going to be a more "difficult" teammate than Massa, on and off the track.

ramparter

Banned
-Fuel saving
-Engine life saving

Especially the engine issue since they've got one less engine to work with over the season and some engine manufacturers might do radical changes with the token system gone, leading to another spurt of blown engines unless they drive with conservative engine modes.
Cant stress how much I loath fuel saving. I understand saving fuel as part of your strategy so maybe it makes sense to save instead of having bigger load. But having a limiter on how much fuel you are allowed to consume? Stupid and unnecessary. It should be completely up to the drivers and teams. Other than that I never minded Turbo V6 engines because it was only a matter of time to get them up there with the previous generation.

Mastah

-Fuel saving
-Engine life saving

Fuel saving probably will return to a certain extent in few races, yes. But I think we saw how greatly it was reduced over last 3 years, so I expect the same to happen in 2017. In theory every manufacturer can introduce 7 different power units during the season, so that's a lot of opportunities for development.

As for engine saving, I find it a red herring. They are saving power units on straights, not in corners, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ted Kravitz says Red Bull exceed their wind tunnel target numbers:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...-director?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Mastah

The moment we were waiting for :D

94b635337c7d8b80c0ecf96cc6b00c06.jpg

6022babb47daeeccbb46975317ec192f.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFagk2lpseQ

I don't like thumb nose (who does?), but the rest looks very cool, even shark fin. Now show us real cars, not renders!

DBT85

I don't think that's that representative of the final car, there should be bodywork in front of the side pod intakes since that area is open and I can't understand why they'd still have the nose.

Someone also wasn't paying attention when texturing where the nose joins the chassis.

Eugh, bring on testing.

Please were finally getting a look at least. But they'll all be a fair way from their final form as no or will want to give away too much yet.

Though I have to say that diffusor, datass.gif

Yup, that looks like a Williams F1 car right there, tyres don't look as hugely out of place on it. Render could do with some work though, would look better in UE4.

It looks okay. I'm mostly disappointed by the rear wing. I knew we wouldn't get the super wide and flat ones from the concepts.

1452080398641.jpg

It was already hinted by the Manor wind tunnel model and the Ferrari test mule.

The wing looks as wide as that mockup once you adjust for perspective. The struts bending inwards towards the base also give the impression that it's narrower than it is.

You're probably right, but my expectations are still lowered. I feel like the biggest change in terms of looks are going to be the completely new liveries from Toro Rosso and McLaren.

That Williams render isn't really exciting.

Zeknurn

I was about to say it doesn't look any different.

My guess is that they took their 2016 render, simplified it, stretched it a bit to look more like a 2017 car and the actual car will look considerably different.

DBT85

Honestly expect similar from them all, with the change in regs they will all have developed their own solutions, some will be better than others, so they'll not show them off yet, they might not even do it at the first test where all they'll care about is getting laps done.

This is far from its final form.
I still don't understand that reference

Mastah

Pascal Wehrlein ‏@PWehrlein 1m1 minute ago

I have to skip the first wintertest due to medical advice because of a BACK issue. I feel sorry for the team but we'll come back stronger!

Fritz-Dieter Rencken ‏@RacingLines 28s29 seconds ago

Hearing future FIA press conferences sponsored via FOG deal (RedB?), IF so I no longer participate - refuse to be commercially exploited

NHale

I don't think that's that representative of the final car, there should be bodywork in front of the side pod intakes since that area is open and I can't understand why they'd still have the nose.

Someone also wasn't paying attention when texturing where the nose joins the chassis.

Eugh, bring on testing.

Please were finally getting a look at least. But they'll all be a fair way from their final form as no or will want to give away too much yet.

Though I have to say that diffusor, datass.gif

It looks like a S-Duct to me.

sammex

Scarbs saying there's a lot of detail missing on the renders (to be expected really). I would've expected a bit more difference in the side pods though.

Mastah

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsTech 30m30 minutes ago

This area is oversimplified for these renders. Expect slots and double layers on the bargeboards and something attached to the cockpit fin

Again only a simplified floor area shown and the retention of the Y rear wing mount

spuckthew

I hope the rear wings look more like pre-2009 rear wings rather than some odd-looking splicing of a low-and-wide wing with a tall-and-narrow wing.

Even if it is lacking detail, that looks thoroughly underwhelming.

Top Bottom