• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Zaru

I'm kind of amused that Pirelli has a backup 2016 compound version of the wider 2017 tyres in case their new compound fails as spectacularly as, say, elimination qualifying.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Da Costa binned his car.

https://grabyo.com/g/v/4S00If4NyPi

C48ZPc6WQAAWFBg.jpg:large

Aiii

So not worth it
Bit cloudy, nothing special. Lopez is looking strong, but since it was such a messy session, it's not very representative.

DBT85

Ferrari wanted Bottas in 2015 according to Claire Williams. So she not only saved him from going to Ferrari, but she also let him go to Mercedes. And people say guardian angels aren't real.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128147/williams-made-bottas-vow-after-ferrari-block
"Valtteri has been an important part of Williams, he's got that fiery passion that you want in a driver because all he wants to do is be in the best car and win," deputy team principal Williams told Autosport.

"When you have a driver that you know that's all they want, why force them to race your car? That's not the right thing to do.

"We stood in Valtteri's way once, when Ferrari came along, and I made a promise to Valtteri I wouldn't stand in his way again - I honour my promises.

"He has an amazing opportunity, and it will be interesting to see how Valtteri does this year."

Zeknurn

At least your odds of seeing explosions are increasing by the second.

The last turn is no doubt going to claim a victim before the session is over.

Oh Da Costa..

I was about to say that Lopez is strong around this track but I wasn't fast enough.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Messy qualifying.

F-E needs better ways to clear cars - have openings they can roll cars behind, more cranes. Talk to Monaco guys. But I guess cost is also a factor.

Edit: Da Costa pls

Zeknurn

Just watch the official stream, links on the FE reddit.

I'd prefer to watch Channel 5 HD via satellite because the bitrate is five times higher than the official stream.

It's all good, the guy next to Jaime just said uninterrupted coverage of the race.

Zeknurn

Yeah. With Di Grassi having no pace it's a done deal at the front.

It's too bad Rosenqvist didn't qualify higher because he's good on energy conservation this stint.

All aboard the Turvey Train.

Aiii

So not worth it
My five wishes for FE:
-Ban all non-English board radio
-More competition
-One race ever two weeks
-No more fan boost
-At least half of the races happen on actual race tracks

Mastah

Oh look, another Buemi win. Yawn.

Shame that Lopez binned it in quali, because he had great race pace. He would be fighting for podium, I think. Nice moves from back of the grid up to P10, though.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Interesting battles down the grid though. D'Ambrosio sure lost a lot of places in the last lap. Shame about Rosenquist's pit problems.

Zaru

If I and that sport make it to 2060, I'll probably see people consider Buemi as some sort of Fangio-esque figure for Formula E

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So RoboRace ran 2 cars at Buenos Aires today which is a first. Unfortunately one of them crashed. Supposedly the other car managed to go around the stalled car safely and finished with a top speed of 186kph which is pretty decent. Still a long way to go though...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So RoboRace ran 2 cars at Buenos Aires today which is a first. Unfortunately one of them crashed. Supposedly the other car managed to go around the stalled car safely and finished with a top speed of 186kph which is pretty decent. Still a long way to go though...

But it was the first time that two AI controlled cars went out on the same lap

DD

So, I was reading that the F1 teams are studying bringing the active suspensions back, and I was thinking...

The problem with cars with too much downforce is that they don't allow other cars following close because of the dirty air. But reducing the wings made the drivers whine a lot. Back in the 80's some cars didn't have front wings because they didn't need, thanks to the ground effect. The problem with the ground effect is that if the air was sucked into that 'vacuum' area under the car due to a bump on the track or something else, the car would suddenly lose grip, so it was dangerous, and it was forbidden. But what if they mix the ground effect with active suspensions, wouldn't it make it safer, and allow the cars to run with less wings?

EDIT: Monaco without a front wing, lol.

0157c51086e081b52f7b2662c0dcdeed.jpg

DBT85

So, I was reading that the F1 teams are studying bringing the active suspensions back, and I was thinking...

The problem with cars with too much downforce is that they don't allow other cars following close because of the dirty air. But reducing the wings made the drivers whine a lot. Back in the 80's some cars didn't have front wings because they didn't need, thanks to the ground effect. The problem with the ground effect is that if the air was sucked into that 'vacuum' area under the car due to a bump on the track or something else, the car would suddenly lose grip, so it was dangerous, and it was forbidden. But what if they mix the ground effect with active suspensions, wouldn't it make it safer, and allow the cars to run with less wings?

EDIT: Monaco without a front wing, lol.

0157c51086e081b52f7b2662c0dcdeed.jpg

Yes.

But you think they'd restrict the wings that much?

The other suggestion as part of the move to active suspension is spec parts for it, eliminating the arms race to develop them.

DD

Yes.

But you think they'd restrict the wings that much?

The other suggestion as part of the move to active suspension is spec parts for it, eliminating the arms race to develop them.

It would drastically change the current designs. I don't know, maybe they can come up with something better?

The Red Bull's Gran Turismo prototype didn't have an aggressive front wing, and the rear wing is really shallow.

autodromo-nazionale-monza_16.jpg

Kind of same with this McLaren prototype:

56ad060940029_610x310.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Holy shit that looks amazing. Livery actually doesn't look like it was painted with paint from a pound store.

And that rear wing, too. Finally we have F1 cars that don't look like shit anymore, yay.

Top Bottom