• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
I can't help but hope that after all these official F1 videos they're publishing on Facebook and their website, that when the broadcasting contracts are up we might get an F1/FIA standalone yearly-streaming pass, hopefully with tonnes of extras. It's really all I want from F1 now.

I can buy a WEC/Le Mans pass and have access to hundreds of hours of fantastic content and information, I really want the same from F1.

I'm sure this will happen, but it'll be a while.

The thing with F1 is that broadcasters are actually interested in paying for it. Lets face it, WEC isn't nearly popular enough for broadcasters to care about competing with an over the top service. WEC is relatively cheap filler for their sports channel at best.

Fox Mulder

I can't help but hope that after all these official F1 videos they're publishing on Facebook and their website, that when the broadcasting contracts are up we might get an F1/FIA standalone yearly-streaming pass, hopefully with tonnes of extras. It's really all I want from F1 now.

I can buy a WEC/Le Mans pass and have access to hundreds of hours of fantastic content and information, I really want the same from F1.

F1 still gets network money though. NBC spent like $3 billion for it in the US a few years ago and just extended.

NASCAR puts full races up on YouTube two weeks later or whatever. I don't see f1 doing much more than that, there's no point to when you get billions from Sky, NBC, etc.

WEC would ask for billions too if they could get it. It's less popular and the format isn't as tv friendly really.

Spladam

With the amount of race/performance engines Honda have developed over the decades, they really shouldn't need to hire anyone else in.

I just can't fathom how they are this bad. I get that its a new engine this year and you can kind of expect some issues. But the oil tank thing? vibrations shaking the car loose? This isn't gremlins in the design, this is full on "we dun goofed".

They're trying to take steps larger than their legs.

This.

Isn't it possible that Honda is just trying to develop some engine advancements that are a bit too ambitious? Maybe they had some super secret idea in that engine that did not work out as expected. It doesn't make sense that a company with an engine R & D department with as much experience, know how, and money cannot build a stable engine.

I think maybe they might have just been too forward thinking or overly ambitious with something.

DD

This.

Isn't it possible that Honda is just trying to develop some engine advancements that are a bit too ambitious? Maybe they had some super secret idea in that engine that did not work out as expected. It doesn't make sense that a company with an engine R & D department with as much experience, know how, and money cannot build a stable engine.

I think maybe they might have just been too forward thinking or overly ambitious with something.
It doesn't seem so, according tho this page.

Mastah

Nando:

“The way you attack the corners, the way you feel the grip, has been a good surprise,” he said. “To be able to drive the way you want and not like a small child so the tyres don't overheat - that's the best way to feel a Formula 1 car.

“So it's been fun to drive freely again.
Now we just need to be as quick as the others on the straight.”

Hulk:

“If you go faster it’s always more spectacular,” said the German. “If you go flat through Turn 3, it’s a hell of a ride.

“It’s pretty amazing. It’s difficult for the public and you guys [the media] to understand. You don’t get that sensation. It’s pretty f***ing cool.”

K-Mag:

“It is such a big relief to be able to push, and really push hard on one lap but also more than one,” he said. “The tyres do have degradation. But even when they degrade they have so much grip and you can still push really hard.

"So it is so much more fun to drive in my opinion. Over one lap it is massively good fun, really impressive to drive. And in race distance it is much more fun because you feel like you are going fast.

“With the old cars it sometimes felt embarrassing to go that slow – there were some corners where in between you weren’t even full throttle, even though there was a straight. And it was just horrible.

"This is completely different, a lot better.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...ger-have-to-drive-like-small-children-882119/

Yagami_Sama

The manager then explained that he was aware of the performance of the Honda engine, but that he had no idea the opponents were so high up. "Of course we knew our level of performance, but we did not know the level of other teams," he said.

This is horrible, is not that the Honda's engine had problems and they are losing power, the engine power is not match for the other, plus the problems,

This will be a tough season for McLaren.

Zaru

At the very least, with the scrapped token system Honda doesn't need to wait until 2018 to try fixing the major issues.
Though people are probably still pessimistic that they can do it...

BigAl1992

Honda have a serious amount of work for the engine to even be reliable, never mind competitive. The clock is ticking, but they've a lot to prove.

nny

1qOYDyx.jpg

I'm sorry

Fox Mulder

At the very least, with the scrapped token system Honda doesn't need to wait until 2018 to try fixing the major issues.
Though people are probably still pessimistic that they can do it...

The only team that can't improve their engines is sauber though, i believe. So McLaren should at least not finish last.

ramparter

Banned
This is horrible, is not that the Honda's engine had problems and they are losing power, the engine power is not match for the other, plus the problems,

This will be a tough season for McLaren.

Yeah I expected them to be either really slow or have serious problems, not both :/

BigAl1992

Remember when Schumacher won his first title with Ferrari in 2000?
Before that? Jody Schekter in 1979.
Honda needs patience and a lot of work.

I'll​ agree with you on the amount of time it took Ferrari to win a world championship, and that McLaren are pulling a Williams here, but Ferrari have the excuse of actually winning races and being in contention for a world championship in that time period. Also, Ferrari were and still are a premium car brand that people will pay out the arse to own their cars, so they've never worried about cash on their part for the F1 Team. McLaren only started making their own cars less than a decade ago, and their drop in form could lead the shareowners in the company to pull the plug on the team in the very worst case scenario. It's not pleasant to think about, but F1 teams are ultimately run as a business, and if the team continues to flounder for years on end, it could end up being terminal.

Aiii

So not worth it
In this scenario we are ignoring that McLaren's main business is making proprietary components for racing competitions? Like the standard ECU that every F1 car has?

The F1 team is going to be around for a while, don't worry. I'm sure none of the shareholders have the illusion that their business can survive on a handful of hypercars.

Zaru

I'll​ agree with you on the amount of time it took Ferrari to win a world championship, and that McLaren are pulling a Williams here, but Ferrari have the excuse of actually winning races and being in contention for a world championship in that time period. Also, Ferrari were and still are a premium car brand that people will pay out the arse to own their cars, so they've never worried about cash on their part for the F1 Team. McLaren only started making their own cars less than a decade ago, and their drop in form could lead the shareowners in the company to pull the plug on the team in the very worst case scenario. It's not pleasant to think about, but F1 teams are ultimately run as a business, and if the team continues to flounder for years on end, it could end up being terminal.

They're paying a dude 40 mil a year to occasionally drive into the points. It's a huge waste of their money and his time. All because of the optimistic but ultimately misguided belief that they'll become a top team again aaaaany second now.

BigAl1992

In this scenario we are ignoring that McLaren's main business is making proprietary components for racing competitions? Like the standard ECU that every F1 car has?

The F1 team is going to be around for a while, don't worry. I'm sure none of the shareholders have the illusion that their business can survive on a handful of hypercars.

Which is why I placed an emphasis on very worst cast scenario, as in it's possible, but extremely unlikely. Then again, Brabham, Tyrrell, BRM and Lotus all won constructors championships, all four never got back to form and eventually faded into obscurity with Williams once in danger of following them, so who knows what'll happen in the future.

They're paying a dude 40 mil a year to occasionally drive into the points. It's a huge waste of their money and his time. All because of the optimistic but ultimately misguided belief that they'll become a top team again aaaaany second now.

It's a complete waste of Alonso's talents, and it's why I've felt bad for him driving those god awful Honda engines. 2007 was a messy divorce between him and the team, but no one deserves to have this happen to them. Poor Jenson ran out of luck too and it's making me nervous for Vandoorne as well.

McLaren sold its 10,000th car (over a period of just 5 years) in December. They will be making over 4000 cars per year soon.

Staab

Alonso gambled like Lewis did when he switched to Mercedes.
Only for him it was the complete opposite scenario: disaster.
It really pains me to see him slowly lose it over there :(

Massa

Alonso gambled like Lewis did when he switched to Mercedes.
Only for him it was the complete opposite scenario: disaster.
It really pains me to see him slowly lose it over there :(

He didn't really gamble though, McLaren-Honda was his only choice and even that is because Honda pushed really hard for it, the McLaren side was strongly against hiring him. None of the top teams want anything to do with him.

DD

You thought that Bernie Ecclestone was retired from motor racing, but guess who's behind the Formula E race in Sao Paulo to occur next year...

Zaru

None of the top teams want anything to do with him.

Yeah it's really tight up there. Red Bull has a very successful junior program to pick from which includes some of the most talented drivers in F1, Ferrari is fine with Vettel for now and already had Alonso for half a decade (and won't replace Kimi with a super expensive driver after his retirement), Mercedes can pick whatever they want for now and Lewis is kind of a hurdle.

The only other team left which could become a contender for wins again is Renault, and Alonso has been there TWICE already - and they're clearly not intending to spend big bux on a top driver before making it close to the top, unlike McLaren.

Carn82

Did this get covered?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...gine-has-exceeded-performance-targets-882373/

Although Renault endured some frustrations with reliability over the Barcelona test revolving around its ERS - which forced its teams to run it in conservative engine modes – there is some optimism about the potential it has for 2017.

Having set a target of a 0.3 seconds per lap improvement over its 2016 engine, Abiteboul said that indications were of a bigger step than that.

"I think we are on target, and even maybe I think exceeding that target, subject to reliability," he said. "We came into this with a whole new engine architecture, not just in terms of ICE but also ERS.

"That means quite a great challenge, particularly in terms of reliability, and there is no surprise. We were expecting to encounter some difficulties – we had those difficulties that materialised.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Indeed.

It's very bewildering. Honda is seriously struggling in both F1 and Indycar right now.
Well, Honda just won the Indycar season opener. But the engine in Indy is developed by Honda Performance Development, an American subsidiary. I don't know if the work culture is similar with them and the parent.

BigAl1992

Well, Honda just won the Indycar season opener. But the engine in Indy is developed by Honda Performance Development, an American subsidiary. I don't know if the work culture is similar with them and the parent.

As far I know, the American Subsidiary would have a different work culture to the parent company in Japan. It's a bit like comparing work cultures of the same company across different countries, there's going to be differences between them as a result. As for the HDP, they have experience in Endurance racing, in building both the engines and the chassis' for teams who're willing to shell out the cash for them, as well as the engines and cars in the Indycar series, but again, their work practices would be different from say Honda Racing Corporation, who'd be involved in the Motorcycle racing for Honda on a global level as part of the parent company itself. But I'm just hypothesizing from my own knowledge of companies working under one "umbrella" corporation.

Mastah

This is waiting :(

"The reliability issues I think we can solve before Melbourne. At least the problems we have had, we applied some countermeasures for those and it should be all right.

"But in just two weeks it is very difficult to squeeze more power and performance [out of the current specification]. So from the point of view that we are thinking the concept is a very good direction, in a few grands prix we may introduce some more updates to get some more power."

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/138818-reliability-can-be-fixed-for-melbourne-honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom