• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
17159107_772452186245099_4218998541556080480_o.jpg

Bottas really took his job very seriously

Mastah

No onboards on demand for now :/

Towards the end of last season I mentioned that FOM were running test’s in preparation to have live streams of the in-car cameras on the official app this year. Then I later mentioned that this was looking increasingly unlikely due to contractual issues with broadcasters & it now seems as if it won’t be happening; At least not in time for the start of the season https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/03/06/news-round-up-sky-linked-with-motogp-f1-app-updates-for-2017/

Adding to that I gather that everything is ready to go, They have a version of the app built with all the new bits in place & are ready to launch it whenever they are able. However due to the way the contracts are & these exclusivity clauses i’ve discussed in the past there not able to roll it out until all the rights issues have been worked out.

Several broadcasters around the world already have there own services in place for accessing a lot of the in-car cameras & have put a lot of time & money into developing there services & buying the rights to those extra angles & as such don’t want to give those services up.
I gather that FOM did consider geo-blocking some features in those regions but ultimately want everyone to have access to the same content so would rather try & work out the rights issues before rolling the extra stuff out in some places & blocking them in others, Especially since getting around geo-blocking is relatively simple anyway.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/03/07/f1-fanatic-round-up-0703-3/#comment-3439236

Zaru

A few days ago I was tempted to make a shitpost that Honda was running their engine on an isolated stand in the factory and didn't take into account what effect vibrations in an actual car would have.

Now I just read that they realized the engine is causing things to fall apart because of vibrations.

Honda is a materialized punchline.

BigAl1992

A few days ago I was tempted to make a shitpost that Honda was running their engine on an isolated stand in the factory and didn't take into account what effect vibrations in an actual car would have.

Now I just read that they realized the engine is causing things to fall apart because of vibrations.

Are you seriously telling me that the engine is causing the actual car itself to break down from within? Fucking hell.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Are you seriously telling me that the engine is causing the actual car itself to break down from within? Fucking hell.

So the engine isn't just underperforming and failing, it's actually breaking the rest of the damned car.

That's actually an impressive feat.

Rolfgang

What the... You might think this was a mistake from a first time engine builder, not from a company that has been ages in the sport.

Dilly

Banned
To quote from Autosport:

The engine Honda brought to the final pre-season test certainly was - vibrating so badly it started to break other parts of the car, and cause the electrical systems to fail repeatedly without warning.

Honda has spent much of the winter working on advanced combustion technology in its bid to close the gap to the leading manufacturers, but the combustion process it has created is so unstable the engine will not hold together. Apparently, one unit even ejected a piston during one of Stoffel Vandoorne's runs in the car!

How do you fuck up this badly?

BigAl1992

To quote from Autosport:

How do you fuck up this badly?

This engine sounds like a bomb on wheels. It wouldn't surprise me at this rate if mid-way through a race, we see a Honda engine blow up and rip the back half of the car open in the process.

nekkid

This engine sounds like a bomb on wheels. It wouldn't surprise me at this rate if mid-way through a race, we see a Honda engine blow up and rip the back half of the car open in the process.

I'd imagine the FIA will now want evidence that this is safe to run.

DBT85

If they ask very nicely they can have a lend of my f20c. She sings at 9k.

Hardly a great advertisement for the new NSX or the rumours of the S2000 successor.

Bouniter

I honestly find it hard to believe how poor that Honda engine really is. I've been a fan of Mclaren since I started watching F1 properly (mainly because I liked Jenson and Lewis tbh ). Its now got to the point of becoming painful to to see them and I cannot imagine how the rest of the McLaren team feels, to have all their hard work completely undone by a contractor for 3 years on the trot, I'd be furious.

Honda you are a literal joke step up or leave.

Jezbollah

I honestly find it hard to believe how poor that Honda engine really is. I've been a fan of Mclaren since I started watching F1 properly (mainly because I liked Jenson and Lewis tbh ). Its now got to the point of becoming painful to to see them and I cannot imagine how the rest of the McLaren team feels, to have all their hard work completely undone by a contractor for 3 years on the trot, I'd be furious.

Honda you are a literal joke step up or leave.

Honda are more than a contractor though - they're a technical and financial partner. It's not in their best interests financially or reputationally to fail - which makes all this more baffling.

BigAl1992

Honda are more than a contractor though - they're a technical and financial partner. It's not in their best interests financially or reputationally to fail - which makes all this more baffling.

Correct me if I'm wrong but back in 2015, I remember there was this big bru ha ha about Honda not employing people outside of their company into their F1 engine division because they wanted to learn it on their own, or some bullshit like that. Is it likely that's still the case here, because I don't recall anyone from outside of Honda being employed within that division, because it's definitely making them look like amateurs out there. Even Renault are getting their act back together, and they were having issues of their own in testing.

Bouniter

Without a doubt I'm not sure baffling is even a strong enough word.

Correct me if I'm wrong but back in 2015, I remember there was this big bru ha ha about Honda not employing people outside of their company into their F1 engine division because they wanted to learn it on their own, or some bullshit like that. Is it likely that's still the case here, because I don't recall anyone from outside of Honda being employed within that division, because it's definitely making them look like amateurs out there. Even Renault are getting their act back together, and they were having issues of their own in testing.

I remember reading the same thing if they really are still being that hard headed and stupid after their failures and are still not willing to accept advice, fresh faces and ideas all I can say is they brought it all upon themselves.

DBT85

With the amount of race/performance engines Honda have developed over the decades, they really shouldn't need to hire anyone else in.

I just can't fathom how they are this bad. I get that its a new engine this year and you can kind of expect some issues. But the oil tank thing? vibrations shaking the car loose? This isn't gremlins in the design, this is full on "we dun goofed".

BigAl1992

I can't work it out either. They have HPD in the US that they can draw experience from, they've worked with Turbo V6s before for Endurance racing; They have the R & D department working with their racing companies to come up with new concepts; They have nearly two decades worth of experience themselves working with hybrid engines. How they could still not make a decent engine at least out of this is beyond me. I just can't believe they could drop the ball like this.

EDIT: It's also just occured to me how much morale in McLaren must be at an all time low when you realise that they were last on a podium in Australia in 2014, and haven't won a race since Jenson Button in Brazil in 2012. That's a lifetime in this sport.

i-Lo

WOW! TIL Rosberg has retired!! I was so confused seeing Bottas on that time sheet (thinking at first that he was a reserve driver, which I thought was such a waste). I know everyone wants to retire when on top but I felt there were at least a few more good if not great years left for him in the game. I'm going to miss him. Anyone know what is he planning to do next?

Hammer24

Banned
WOW! TIL Rosberg has retired!! I was so confused seeing Bottas on that time sheet (thinking at first that he was a reserve driver, which I thought was such a waste). I know everyone wants to retire when on top but I felt there were at least a few more good if not great years left for him in the game. I'm going to miss him. Anyone know what is he planning to do next?

Mercedes Brand Ambassador

Zeknurn

I wonder if the FIA has started a meme with those pictures.

"Don't drive while tired"
*picture of Kimi sleeping*

"Make sure your car is in perfect running order"
*picture of McLaren Honda burning*

With the amount of race/performance engines Honda have developed over the decades, they really shouldn't need to hire anyone else in.

That's not how motorsport works.

When you enter motorsport you always look to get the best people for the job.
When Mercedes first entered F1 as an engine supplier they didn't just give a bunch of AMG engineers the project and hoped for the best because they knew this isn't what they do. They bought Ilmor and hired a lot of people that knew better to get their project going.

Meanwhile McLaren is basically begging Honda to hire external help but they are too stupid to shallow their pride and accept that their own engineers are not up to the task.

You can't be successful in motorsport with a company culture like that.

Ark

Is anyone really surprised? It's the Japanese way. Toyota's biggest failing was that they never hired outside of Japan.

I can't help but hope that after all these official F1 videos they're publishing on Facebook and their website, that when the broadcasting contracts are up we might get an F1/FIA standalone yearly-streaming pass, hopefully with tonnes of extras. It's really all I want from F1 now.

I can buy a WEC/Le Mans pass and have access to hundreds of hours of fantastic content and information, I really want the same from F1.

nekkid

Is anyone really surprised? It's the Japanese way. Toyota's biggest failing was that they never hired outside of Japan.

I can't help but hope that after all these official F1 videos they're publishing on Facebook and their website, that when the broadcasting contracts are up we might get an F1/FIA standalone yearly-streaming pass, hopefully with tonnes of extras. It's really all I want from F1 now.

I can buy a WEC/Le Mans pass and have access to hundreds of hours of fantastic content and information, I really want the same from F1.

Am I missing something? Or did you mean Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom