• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaru

I really hope Renault actually delivers on that life-saving Melbourne update. If it's a dud, the Renault customers might need to wait until summer to be anywhere near their chassis potential...

DBT85

Well, time to buy your 4K TV. Sky are advertising the new season in 4K pretty hard.

My only question to that is if its all actually 4k or whether they are doing what they did in Singapore last year and maxing 4k cameras in with the 1080 cameras and the FOM world feed pumping out whatever they like.

Would love to see it in 4k as I have the TV for it, but I'm not paying what Sky want for both the F1 channel and SkyQ.

Jezbollah

My only question to that is if its all actually 4k or whether they are doing what they did in Singapore last year and maxing 4k cameras in with the 1080 cameras and the FOM world feed pumping out whatever they like.

Would love to see it in 4k as I have the TV for it, but I'm not paying what Sky want for both the F1 channel and SkyQ.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ations-readies-sky-for-f1-in-uhd-in-2017.html

I havent found any place that shows that all the cameras in use within the broadcast will be 4k :/

DBT85

Onboard comparison between 2016 pole position and the fastest lap in testing:

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/3/Onboard_comparison__2017_vs_2016_at_Barcelona.html

Cool that they put the track map on there too. You can easily see the 2016 lap has the edge...all the way to the apex of the 2nd corner lol.

And to think, that pole last year was 3/10ths fater than Nico and 7/10ths fster than Ric in 3rd.

And these cars are going to be even faster by the time we get there.

Business

RIP John Surtees

RIP legend

Surtees-Clark_1963_Germany_01_BC.jpg

I already have the sound of the US announcers in my head of how they'll all scream when they see a 1:17:xxx on the board. Going into turn 1 is interesting. You could say Ferrari still have it dialed back a little or has more fuel, but it's possible that these cars have so much damn downforce that they can't quite hit the same top speeds. Kimi hitting 8th gear entering turn 3 makes me think the engine is on, though.

Haas still has brake issues! Joy. Even building a new car from scratch didn't fix it.

Edit: And what's with the good social media access and videos from FOM? Is the new management not going to clamp down as hard on that stuff? Would be very welcomed.

Jezbollah

Edit: And what's with the good social media access and videos from FOM? Is the new management not going to clamp down as hard on that stuff? Would be very welcomed.

??

If it's from the FOM, then you can be sure this is part of the new direction of utilising Social Media......

DBT85

I already have the sound of the US announcers in my head of how they'll all scream when they see a 1:17:xxx on the board. Going into turn 1 is interesting. You could say Ferrari still have it dialed back a little or has more fuel, but it's possible that these cars have so much damn downforce that they can't quite hit the same top speeds. Kimi hitting 8th gear entering turn 3 makes me think the engine is on, though.

Haas still has brake issues! Joy. Even building a new car from scratch didn't fix it.

The cars won't have as high top speeds becasue of the wider wings and tyres causing more drag. But losing 20kph on the log straights is more than made up for when you get it all in the corners and can brake later and get on throttle earlier.

As for the social side, they've already relaxed it to allow teams to do more from the pitlane, though they still can't show anything outside of the pit IIRC.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I found that my Sky monthly cost went down when I upgraded to Q last year, after a bit of a haggle.

DBT85

Do it after it expires. They usually buckle pretty hard once you're out of contract.

Yeah. I'd get rid of it all tbh but the mrs wants to watch ghost ticklers and shit.

Didn't mind as much when F1 was just an extra thing on its own. I don't want the other sports. Their big seller is the PL and I fucking watch it all day every day at work lol.

Larger issue is that because our internet is shite (yay farm livin') I can't reasonably get BT.

Zaru

Are FOM broadcasting in 4k though? Or are Sky just upscaling it?

I am a TV noob, but I thought FOM cameras would have to all be 4k.
Actual 4k as far as I know.

They specifically talked about onboard cameras NOT being 4k, unlike the rest of the broadcast, because the wireless technology on track is not good enough yet, as well as the difficulties of providing 4k in so many different countries unlike their existing 4k offering (premier league) which only covers the UK.

Ark

Actual 4k as far as I know.

They specifically talked about onboard cameras NOT being 4k, unlike the rest of the broadcast, because the wireless technology on track is not good enough yet, as well as the difficulties of providing 4k in so many different countries unlike their existing 4k offering (premier league) which only covers the UK.

Well then.

To the shops!

DBT85

Are FOM broadcasting in 4k though? Or are Sky just upscaling it?

I am a TV noob, but I thought FOM cameras would have to all be 4k.

FOM are sending a Sky a 4k feed, which Sky will, in the traditional fashion, compress to all buggery and then beam it to you. In Singapore last year they had some 4k cameras mixed in with the standard 2k cameras and the whole feed was mixed as normal by FOM and sent to Sky.

The question for me is are all trackside cameras 4k or just some. We'll probably not know.

RIP John Surtees, I don't think his heart was in it any more after his son died. He looked a very changed man after it.

I suppose that leaves Jackie as the oldest living WC now.

DBT85

That's really cheeky.

Yeah, but the FIA will just introduce a deflection test of hanging a weight on one side and if it moves it'll be banned. The only reason RedBull got away with it was because the FIA couldn't make a test that worked in the same way that happens when the car is running through the air.

What the... The T wings are movable?!

Is it the T-wing moving or the entire shark fin? If you look close the mount is still square so I assume the side force from the air is twisting the end of the fin in. That sort of twist can easily be achieved depending on how you put the carbon fibre down.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
While we're on the topic of troublesome engines, does anyone know what F1 race had the most retirements due to engine failure? I was wondering if there was a siliar analogue in F1 to this CART race. All the teams and engine manufacturers (Ford, Honda, Mercedes, Toyota) were tuning their engines to the limit in the final race of the season and this was what happened:

https://youtu.be/hbz8KONVrUk

Out of 26 drivers there were only 6 finishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom