• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkyre

wwPjklM.jpg

If Vettel fixes his setup he can probably hang with Mercedes (before quali modes are activated), and Kimi's optimal lap would be quite close to the Mercs.
Now to wait for tomorrow.

Its not like the Mercedes boys are not going to get any better...

Also keep in mind that Hamilton did his best lap with Soft tyres if I am not mistaken.

I am still expecting pole position to be around 1.27.8-9

Will Vandoorne beat Alonso in any session this year other than through technical problems?

No.

He couldn't even beat him with the better engine last weekend in qualifying, and now with equal PUs the gap has gone back to the normal gappage of 6 tenths. If it stays the same in qualy then he just need replacing during the summer break. McLaren need two strong drivers in The Jense and Alonso to take advantage of the lean burn 50bhp upgrade that will await them on their return.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Does MB order Bottas to let Lewis pass him if they are 1-2 near the end of this race? I really hope this gets even tighter between them. Constructors wise it would be same crap.

xrnzaaas

Does MB order Bottas to let Lewis pass him if they are 1-2 near the end of this race? I really hope this gets even tighter between them. Constructors wise it would be same crap.

Hamilton would whine endlessly on the radio, but it's hard to say if they listened to him and went for it. Yes this is his home GP and yes he's ahead of Bottas in points, but it's far away until the end of the season and Bottas so far has proven that he's a very competent teammate.

Zaru

Hamilton would whine endlessly on the radio, but it's hard to say if they listened to him and went for it. Yes this is his home GP and yes he's ahead of Bottas in points, but it's far away until the end of the season and Bottas so far has proven that he's a very competent teammate.

Both Mercedes drivers have had quite varied form so far (at worst looking quite uninspired) but they'd be points-equal without that engine failure. Hamilton with no bad luck would still be within striking distance of his teammate - which is more than most people could have expected from Bottas.
Next year he might give Lewis even more trouble (well,l it's not like they've been actually fighting on track)

Something came to my mind last night. Was there any lawsuits or charges laid for Jules Bianchi's accident at the Japanese GP?

The fact that there was a marshall waiving a green flag with a crane there is totally mind blowing.

Something came to my mind last night. Was there any lawsuits or charges laid for Jules Bianchi's accident at the Japanese GP?

The fact that there was a marshall waiving a green flag with a crane there is totally mind blowing.

Yes. The Bianchi family has a number of pending(? I don't remember the status of these) lawsuits against the FIA, FOM, Manor Team and other parties.

Yes. The Bianchi family has a number of pending(? I don't remember the status of these) lawsuits against the FIA, FOM, Manor Team and other parties.

Good. That kid died for no reason at all. I remember when I first saw the video, I couldn't believe there was a crane lifting a car while people were still racing.

I always assumed that anytime a support vehicle enters the confines of a race track, safety car has to be deployed to control the pace.

This is the one accident that infuriates me because I cannot believe someone didn't say: "hey, no safety car, but should we be placing a giant steel vehicle right where a car slid and crashed?"

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Probably a precautionary gearbox replacement. Better to get a 5 place grid penalty than possible DNF on the race...I just wonder if it is the similar malfunction that they discovered at other car last weekend.

John_B

I think they could have waited with Hamilton as well but then both drivers would be down the grid in the same weekend. The racing gods have been generous towards Vettel since Canada. Avoided a black flag, a penalty to Hamilton and now a penalty to Bottas.

Did Bernie go and purchase a major share in NASCAR sometime in the past year? In an idea that's really as ridiculous as sprinklers were, they're testing synthetic rubber slathered all over the track for more grip this weekend. This before and on top of normal rubbering in. Instead of, you know, repaving or reprofiling the place, or changing the tyres or changing the cars, or just asking the drivers to drive the goddamn car. They even have talking points! How it's so totally common for playing surfaces to be kept up for top performance and better competition, like smoothing ice rinks between periods, watering football stadium lawns, and replacing divots.

As someone new to F1 some of these penalities are baffling.
There's meant to try to force reliability in the cars, done as a way of trying to cut down costs overall. It's marginally successful at that. Without penalties, nothing would stop the teams with the largest budgets from replacing everything every weekend, sacrificing reliability for performance, which would be a massive advantage.

It's just unusual to see Mercedes with any penalties. That car is indestructible and has been since the current engine era started 3 years ago. Fun fact, the engine (well, "power unit") has 5 different components that have to be treated separately for usage. Each car gets 5 of each part for the season. Any introduced after that = penalties. Because Honda is freaking horrible they've been taking penalties for many races already, where cars with Mercedes engines are largely only on their 2nd of each component still. Each component can be upgraded through the year, of course, as whatever the next one of the 5 you use.

There's meant to try to force reliability in the cars, done as a way of trying to cut down costs overall. It's marginally successful at that. Without penalties, nothing would stop the teams with the largest budgets from replacing everything every weekend, sacrificing reliability for performance, which would be a massive advantage.

It's just unusual to see Mercedes with any penalties. That car is indestructible and has been since the current engine era started 3 years ago. Fun fact, the engine (well, "power unit") has 5 different components that have to be treated separately for usage. Each car gets 5 of each part for the season. Any introduced after that = penalties. Because Honda is freaking horrible they've been taking penalties for many races already, where cars with Mercedes engines are largely only on their 2nd of each component still. Each component can be upgraded through the year, of course, as whatever the next one of the 5 you use.

Isn't it 4 for each? Atleast I seem to remember that Vettel is at 4 on one or two of those components and the next one used means he'll get a penalty.

Isn't it 4 for each? Atleast I seem to remember that Vettel is at 4 on one or two of those components and the next one used means he'll get a penalty.
It could be 4! It was 5 last year. I also cannot remember the total gearbox allocations, but that's become quite limited, too. If you follow onboards or telemetry you can see some teams just -not- using 8th gear at some tracks, probably saving that box and ratios for the higher speed circuits. At Silverstone, 7th gear topping out at 320ish could set up something to take 8th to 360ish at Monza or Mexico City, for example. The Sauber in FP2 stayed in 6th in mock qualifying! This would have been impossible with the V8-10s and their tiny power band.

It could be 4! It was 5 last year. I also cannot remember the total gearbox allocations, but that's become quite limited, too. If you follow onboards or telemetry you can see some teams just -not- using 8th gear at some tracks, probably saving that box and ratios for the higher speed circuits. At Silverstone, 7th gear topping out at 320ish could set up something to take 8th to 360ish at Monza or Mexico City, for example. The Sauber in FP2 stayed in 6th in mock qualifying! This would have been impossible with the V8-10s and their tiny power band.

It's 4 this year.

Spades

It's just unusual to see Mercedes with any penalties. That car is indestructible and has been since the current engine era started 3 years ago.

It's completely understandable - this is the first time in 3 years that the Mercs have to go flat out every single race.

spuckthew

The nature of Hamilton's gearbox replacement wasn't surprising given the circumstances, but Bottas' is a bit bemusing. Any info on why they needed to do it?

hadareud

The Translator
No.

He couldn't even beat him with the better engine last weekend in qualifying, and now with equal PUs the gap has gone back to the normal gappage of 6 tenths. If it stays the same in qualy then he just need replacing during the summer break. McLaren need two strong drivers in The Jense and Alonso to take advantage of the lean burn 50bhp upgrade that will await them on their return.

That's what I'm thinking.

He's just not very good, certainly nowhere near as does as some would have wanted him to be.

I think Sunday will be a make or break point for Hamilton's season. He seems to always be momentum sensitive. If the race goes according to plan, I think he has pole and a win in the bag. He is always strong at Silverstone. If some shit gets to him, or bad luck in with pit timing in the rain, I can see him having a difficult time getting his mind back in the game and letting more points slip. Edit: The press pressure (which I think is fair) with him skipping out on the F1 PR thing could get him worked up too.

ramparter

Banned
Sorry to ruin the party but people are already calling Bottas equal to Lewis, equal points without engine failure etc etc. When did Bottas showed actual faster pace than Lewis? Thats like saying Kimi is better than Vettel because he finished higher last year.

DBT85

For me, what Webber said the other day about the penalties is the key. Don't penalise the driver for manufacturer issues, punish the team. We'd still have Alonso fighting for points with that system and you just dock them any points because they keep falling apart.

Sorry to ruin the party but people are already calling Bottas equal to Lewis, equal points without engine failure etc etc. When did Bottas showed actual faster pace than Lewis? Thats like saying Kimi is better than Vettel because he finished higher last year.

People say lots of things. They are often completely wrong.

Zaru

He seems to always be momentum sensitive.

I'm not sure if that works the way you think. Last year he went into beast mode after a huge points deficit and a double knockout in Spain (won 6 out of the next 7 races)... and after that engine failure in Malaysia he went on to win 4 of the remaining 5 races.

Maybe I'm just looking at the momentum wrong, but...

For me, what Webber said the other day about the penalties is the key. Don't penalise the driver for manufacturer issues, punish the team. We'd still have Alonso fighting for points with that system and you just dock them any points because they keep falling apart.

If they just dock constructor points I doubt they'd really care all that much.

Zaru

Well, depends on who you're looking at.
Top teams might sacrifice a spot in the WCC to get the WDC if it's in reach.
But behind that? Like mid-field and below? Their drivers getting points that don't translate to millions in payout can hit those teams hard.

So it would probably punish the smaller teams harder. That just sounds like a bad idea.

DBT85

G-Force measurements at Copse have already increased from 4.1 in 2016 to 5.2 this year.

It's money pure and simple, and it would also stop them being able to claw back from being a bad manufacturer by running a weird strategy or something to still get 3rd or better after starting from the back of the grid.

But then, I also don;t understand why the gearboxes need to be used in consecutive races while the entire PU can be swapped around however you like from race to race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom