• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The grilling of Hamilton was insufferable.

I get it, people were miffed by his absence but stop pretending to be smart by asking the same question in 10 different ways.

Yeah, and hearing Kyvat and Ricciardo defend Hamilton at the end was super cool. Of course the terrible questions and framing came from the Sun and Daily Mail.

M52B28

Banned

I get it, people were miffed by his absence but stop pretending to be smart by asking the same question in 10 different ways.
Well, Austria didn't produce much excitement, so they need something to write on. It got pretty annoying to hear, so I couldn't imagine being the one being asked those questions.

Lewis said something along the lines of 'That's one of the dumbest questions I've heard in quite a while', or something like that.

stryke

Didn't Webber walk out of a conference before? (although I think it was for something petty like not being asked questions).

I would have done that if I was Hamilton.

Fox Mulder

Well, Austria didn't produce much excitement, so they need something to write on. It got pretty annoying to hear, so I couldn't imagine being the one being asked those questions.

Lewis said something along the lines of 'That's one of the dumbest questions I've heard in quite a while', or something like that.

They asked him how he felt about Toto going to Vettel's birthday party after he crashed into him at Baku.

Lach

Ricciardo is the best. Brought some levity to a press conference that could have been a downer with all the press hounding Hamilton so much.

Talking about the Shoey was great. That look by Danyl! RIC saying he felt pressured into it by the interviewers the last two times around (Brundle frothing :D ).

[edit]
lol @ Lewis shaking his head at the "Toto going to Seb's birthday" while it's being asked. "This might be the dumbest question ever".

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So has Toro Rosso fixed Sainz' car yet? Does it need to pass scrutineering before it can take part of the Practice Sessions?

Zeknurn

9SvOvwZ.png

Mohonky

If I was Hamilton I'd have flat out said Ive answered the question, there's nothing to add, I'm ignoring every question aboiut it from here on out.

Seruously they kept asking the same question over and over. Even the other guys were laughing about it.

So has Toro Rosso fixed Sainz' car yet? Does it need to pass scrutineering before it can take part of the Practice Sessions?

There was nothing to fix, the supplier sent the tethers like that and were deemed safe, all the cars passed yesterday.

Car numbers Team

44, 77 : Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
3, 33 : Red Bull Racing
5, 7 : Scuderia Ferrari
11, 31 : Sahara Force India F1 Team
19, 18 : Williams Martini Racing
14, 2 : McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team
26, 55 : Scuderia Toro Rosso
8, 20 : Haas F1 Team
27, 30 : Renault Sport Formula One Team
9, 94 : Sauber F1 Team

All the above cars were found to be in conformity with the safety requirements of the 2017 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations.

xrnzaaas

If I was Hamilton I'd have flat out said Ive answered the question, there's nothing to add, I'm ignoring every question aboiut it from here on out.

Seruously they kept asking the same question over and over. Even the other guys were laughing about it.

The problem are the conferences themselves. If there's a repeating question the person in charge of the conference should intervene. Also imo each conference should have two rows of drivers so that there could be smaller chances of one person getting all the questions.

Rahvar

Honda seems to be in the process of screwing 2 teams over, (as opposed to just Mclaren...) with their decision to decide in October if they are staying in F1 or not.

Rahvar

The current lap record for Silverstone is 1.29.2 and now Bottas has done 1.29.8 on softs in FP1... Guessing pole time will be sub 1.28?

tomtom94

BBC have a breakdown of the Honda/Mclaren/Sauber situation.

Andrew Benson but not talking about Hamilton for once so it's okay said:
There is an interesting - and cloudy - situation developing at Sauber. New team boss Frederic Vasseur - who starts work on Monday - has done his first media interview, with France’s L’Equipe newspaper, and said the team’s engine deal with Honda was “a project that’s on the table and will be the first I am going to work on”.

That sounds innocent enough until you read the next sentence: “It is necessary to deal with it rapidly. In view of what I understand of McLaren it can be scary.” Not exactly a vote of confidence. For the last couple of days rumours have been buzzing around - Sauber want to get out of the deal; Honda wants to get out of the deal; there is no actual contract signed yet; Honda wants to quit F1 altogether etc.

Clearly all is not well. It raises all sorts of possibilities - if Sauber and Honda don’t work together in 2018, the team need an engine. Ferrari is the obvious given their long relationship with Sauber. But Vasseur is close friends with Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff, whose protege Pascal Wehrlein drives for the team. So it’s not hard to imagine Vasseur seeing Mercedes as an attractive option - and that could spell bad news for McLaren, who hope to switch to Mercedes engines next year, because Mercedes can only supply one more team. And if McLaren don’t switch to Mercedes, what happens to Fernando Alonso? With no other obviously appealing options, it could push him into retirement from F1.

valkyre

The current lap record for Silverstone is 1.29.2 and now Bottas has done 1.29.8 on softs in FP1... Guessing pole time will be sub 1.28?

I'd say 1.27 ... easy.

If you think Ferrari genuinely only has the pace to beat McHondas and Toro Rossos around Silverstone, then I can't help you.

Ferrari sure can do better. Quite a bit actually. But not enough to even bother the Mercedes cars for this track... and I am a Ferrari supporter, but it is clear that Mercedes generally has a faster car. Ferrari has been quite lucky lately, especially Vettel. The difference in performance is quite larger than what it was 3-4 races ago. Mercedes is getting the upper hand more and more with each race...

Zaru

The difference in performance is quite larger than what it was 3-4 races ago. Mercedes is getting the upper hand more and more each race...

In quali, yes. In the race, no.

Let's look at Vettel's races after the first few races:
Russia - finished 6 tenths behind Bottas
Spain - finished 3.5 seconds behind Hamilton with bad VSC luck
Monaco - won
Canada - pace outlier just like Mercedes had in Monaco
Azerbaidjan - was able to follow Hamilton the entire time until road rage happened and managed to hold him back afterwards (despite the huge quali gap)
Austria - finished 6 tenths behind Bottas

Basically, the situation is still very similar as in the first few races, in the end track position and setup variability matter and Mercedes is generally faster in qualifying.

Now they might REALLY have a problem if Red Bull becomes a serious kingmaker threat after the summer break, but right now it's mostly "FERRARI CAN'T DEVELOP A CAR" confirmation bias.
And I say that as someone who's quite pessimistic about Ferrari's title chances.

I'd say 1.27 ... easy.

Ferrari sure can do better. Quite a bit actually. But not enough to even bother the Mercedes cars for this track... and I am a Ferrari supporter, but it is clear that Mercedes generally has a faster car. Ferrari has been quite lucky lately, especially Vettel. The difference in performance is quite larger than what it was 3-4 races ago. Mercedes is getting the upper hand more and more with each race...

? Mercedes and Ferrari were totally neck and neck in Austria.

I think you might be misunderstanding what I was trying to say there. Sure, it's obvious that they can go quicker, but I saw nothing that would make me think they're on the pace of the Merc.

valkyre

In quali, yes. In the race, no.

Let's look at Vettel's races after the first few races:
Russia - finished 6 tenths behind Bottas
Spain - finished 3.5 seconds behind Hamilton with bad VSC luck
Monaco - won
Canada - pace outlier just like Mercedes had in Monaco
Azerbaidjan - was able to follow Hamilton the entire time until road rage happened and managed to hold him back afterwards (despite the huge quali gap)
Austria - finished 6 tenths behind Bottas

Basically, the situation is still very similar as in the first few races, in the end track position and setup variability matter and Mercedes is generally faster in qualifying.

Now they might REALLY have a problem if Red Bull becomes a serious kingmaker threat after the summer break, but right now it's mostly "FERRARI CAN'T DEVELOP A CAR" confirmation bias.
And I say that as someone who's quite pessimistic about Ferrari's title chances.

Race pace is better yes, but keep in mind that being in front makes you determine the pace. I could be faster 1 sec per lap, have a lead of 15 secs and allow the guy behind me to finish one sec apart when crossing the line. That doesnt necessarily mean his pace was great, rather than that I was simply cruising to the finish line.

I am not saying that this is what happened in every situation you presented, but nevertheless I am pretty sure Mercedes boys eased off in several occasions.

Race pace is better yes, but keep in mind that being in front makes you determine the pace. I could be faster 1 sec per lap, have a lead of 15 secs and allow the guy behind me to finish one sec apart when crossing the line. That doesnt necessarily mean his pace was great, rather than that I was simply cruising to the finish line.

I am not saying that this is what happened in every situation you presented, but nevertheless I am pretty sure Mercedes boys eased off in several occasions.

That's not at all what happened in Russia and Austria, though...

Happy to have a British GP, but they're saying nothing they haven't already said. It's gratingly repetitive.

...and those know know the details already know that Silverstone has a better deal than most other tracks. If it doesn't work, financially... then it doesn't work. So be it.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Sitting at Copse right now. Mercs noticably more grounded at full chat.

Grosjean is looking being pretty committed round here, too.

Zaru

wwPjklM.jpg

If Vettel fixes his setup he can probably hang with Mercedes (before quali modes are activated), and Kimi's optimal lap would be quite close to the Mercs.
Now to wait for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom