• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This is really not how you fix damaged tethers. Belongs more on FailBlog.

f1-british-gp-2017-damaged-wheel-tether-on-the-car-of-carlos-sainz-jr-scuderia-toro-rosso.jpg

Xando

Hmm... so did they already stop the oil burning, or does this stop the oil burning (and it being slower)?
Not sure about the oil burning stuff but german media reported update gives them a quali mode with atleast 15 hp more(HAAS supposedly tested it in spielberg).

That actually does look kinda dope, way better than the RB shield from last year. Once it's a bit more integrated into the aero/general design of the car it'd look even better.

Fox Mulder

Omg this press confererence with Ricciardo legendary. He is on a roll. Laughed my ass off haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek9fNsWq7Kw&feature=youtu.be&t

Came to post this. Great dude, made it fun, and helped diffuse the tone of the media constantly asking Lewis about the street event.

Hamilton missing the event when everyone else showed was lame, but he gave his reasons. No need to ask him the same thing a dozen times with varying levels of snark.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The only issue with the shield is visibility. If it gets gunked up, can the driver pull a tearaway himself? Will he just throw it on the track? Screw it, just give them a towel and a spray bottle.

Zaru

The only issue with the shield is visibility. If it gets gunked up, can the driver pull a tearaway himself?

Good point. I remember that insect genocide shot from Canada. That amount of undefined goop would affect visibility, and a tearoff of that size would be dangerous.

I guess you could have tear-offs which the pit crew take off like they have in WEC I believe, but even then on a one-stop race thats, like, 50 minutes straight you're driving into bugs.

DD

The only issue with the shield is visibility. If it gets gunked up, can the driver pull a tearaway himself? Will he just throw it on the track? Screw it, just give them a towel and a spray bottle.

On endurance races like Le Mans they tear or wash it during pitstops.

Zaru

Then wipe it off during your pitstop, WEC style.

Wiping a surface of that size might take longer than current pitstops and if you're in a 1-stop race with a long ass stint it'll be pointless.

They've got some of the world's best material engineers, I'm sure they'll figure something out to not make the concept fail for such a trivial reason.

Zaru

Not if everyone is doing it.

You know someone's gonna risk driving with reduced vision if it means gaining seconds on the competition.

At least if they make it mandatory, we'll get fast technical advancements in... windshield wiping?

Have religiously watched pretty much every GP in the last 20 years, but sure, okay.
Honestly, be it Halo or shield or whatever, I have yet to see anything that doesn't completely ruin the look of the cars, so I'm feeling you.

Jezbollah

Have religiously watched pretty much every GP in the last 20 years, but sure, okay.

That's fine, I have been watching since Mansell's rear blew up on the main straight at Adelaide. I don't feel compelled to give up just because of a bit of plastic.

There has been worse things happen to the look of the cars since before and after you decided to tune in.

McNum

I imagine the shield will be hydrophobic, too. Not reason to let it get wet when you can make it immune to water and mud and such.

tomtom94

Visibility is, as it was with the halo tests, presumably the reason it's being run, so that they can find out quickly if there are any problems.

Fox Mulder

I imagine the shield will be hydrophobic, too. Not reason to let it get wet when you can make it immune to water and mud and such.

Sure, but it'll still get oil and grime and other shit like every other series on the planet. Stuff like WEC and Nascar have tear offs, but they don't have 2 second pit stops either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom