• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Can anyone get rid of the white background?
e7avatar.jpg

Thanks.

Edit:Weird glitch but fixed.

Clipper

Here's a fixed one, which also happens to be bigger by removing the excess space:
blue.png

You weren't adding the transparent background Frankenstrat. Instead you were changing the colour of the background to be one of the two greys that GAF uses for posts. The avatar would only show properly in the dark posts (with odd numbers) that way.

Triton55

Could someone kindly clean up my avatar a bit? Y'know, less blurry edges and such. Getting rid of the gray background would be great but that's probably too hard with the text and all.
Here's the original source if that helps.

Jarmel

Banned
Clipper said:
Here's a fixed one, which also happens to be bigger by removing the excess space:
blue.png

You weren't adding the transparent background Frankenstrat. Instead you were changing the colour of the background to be one of the two greys that GAF uses for posts. The avatar would only show properly in the dark posts (with odd numbers) that way.

Thanks man.

When did the non-animated avatar rule begin? I have been gone a few months and noticed my avatar removed and I'm unable to add a new one.

[EDIT: It's fixed, please ignore. Thanks for whoever that did it.]

Clipper said:
img

wait, what? I added an alpha channel, deleted the space around the character, saved as a png, and it looked fine on my comp. It's only when I upload it that it gets all borked :/

[using gimp, btw]

Clipper

Setvan2734 said:
Could someone make mine transparent?
dog2-1.png
dog-1.png

Frankenstrat said:
wait, what? I added an alpha channel, deleted the space around the character, saved as a png, and it looked fine on my comp. It's only when I upload it that it gets all borked :/

[using gimp, btw]
Weird. Perhaps it has to do with where you uploaded it to?

Edit: no, I just realised the problem and should have seen it much earlier. You didn't shrink the avatar to GAF size, so whatever tool was being used to make it avatar size was messing up the background.

If this resize is being done by GAF itself, then there is a bug that probably needs to be fixed. The workaround is to only supply images that are smaller than 100*120 so that no further tool is needed to resize them, of course.

Clipper - is there an easier way to do that than zooming in and manually erasing all the white/missed spots on the edge of the black lines?

Clipper

Maklershed said:
Clipper - is there an easier way to do that than zooming in and manually erasing all the white/missed spots on the edge of the black lines?
I used Gimp's select by colour tool with two different thresholds to produce those two images. The one with thicker lines was at a threshold of 108 and the other was at 170 or so, IIRC. Default threshold is 15, which leaves you with much more grey pixels left over.

TheBear

Clipper said:
I have to admit, both out of respect for both people depicted, I nearly refused this, but here you go:
randy.jpg

Many thanks! I suppose for some it could be seen as disrespectful, but being both a fan of Macho Man and a fairly devout Catholic I don't see it that way at all. If anything I think it's a tribute of sorts. Thanks again.

Plasmid

has anyone seen anyone with this avatar?

gob_bluth_cries_sm.jpg

if so can anyone avatar this for me? Trimming the side off will be okay.

jeff-bridges-true-grit.jpg

Thanks avatar-gaf <3.

Clipper

Plasmid said:
Thank you! <3. summer avatars ahoy.
Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I have seen the avatar you chose. I don't know who it was or whether they re still using it, but it definitely seems familiar.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm trying to find my old avatar... but it's lost somewhere in imgur now, and i don't remember on which AVGN episode i got it.

You know, that avatar with the AVGN doing a D: face. Not the gif i had before that one of course.

I'm sure it was quoted somewhere in some old thread months ago, but it's not a simple task to find. :(

Clipper

Bisnic said:
I'm trying to find my old avatar... but it's lost somewhere in imgur now, and i don't remember on which AVGN episode i got it.

You know, that avatar with the AVGN doing a D: face. Not the gif i had before that one of course.

I'm sure it was quoted somewhere in some old thread months ago, but it's not a simple task to find. :(
Your old avatar is still linked in your public profile data. Evilore didn't delete that field for this specific reason.

PgCmE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom