• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
XiaNaphryz said:
Doesn't Burnout stop everything going on in the game and let the damage sim take over? Hence the close-up and super slow playback.
Burnout always seemed to damage a car in the exact same way every time to me, every head on collision looks the same.

Maybe I am remembering it wrong though.

Truespeed

ShapeGSX said:
Well, first of all, it stops everything and it runs the crash in super slow motion. :) I'm not sure that's an option in a 60fps simulator. I do seem to remember that rollovers can run at full speed, though. Those are probably not as demanding as the full on crushing that the front of the car can get in slow motion, though.

Besides this, though, licensed car manufacturers simply won't allow the kind of destruction that Burnout does to their cars in a game. If you were Ford, would you want a game showing your car crumpling like an accordion? Hell, Turn 10 only just convinced them to let cars roll over!

Ya, but you know why they play it in super slow mo - it's because it gives us more time to appreciate the destruction and they know it. But, ya, it would be nice if they buried the option to crash in real time somewhere in the menu. I'm just wondering if there's any randomness to the Burnout crashes or all they all just scripted.

Also, if I was in charge of Ford, GM or Chrysler I would be pleading with PD, T10 and Criterion to do whatever they want to my cars. These companies need the exposure because their commercials certainly aren't doing the job.

Truespeed

XiaNaphryz said:
Doesn't Burnout stop everything going on in the game and let the damage sim take over? Hence the close-up and super slow playback.

It does for the wrecked crashes and drive away's, but not for the crashes that don't total your car I think.

Truespeed said:
Ya, but you know why they play it in super slow mo - it's because it gives us more time to appreciate the destruction and they know it.
Alex Fry (senior engineer Criterion Games)
"Paradise really did not stress the CPUs of these consoles. There's an awful lot of room left."

Jack B

shpankey said:
Sorry, I do apologize. As you said, I made the comment on the lack of information. I haven't followed iRacing too closely except back when they first started I was invited to the beta, where you actually had to have a copy of NR03 to even install it. I'm sure since then it's gone through major changes that I'm obviously unaware of. But believe me when I say, I absolutely meant no disrespect whatsoever. I've been tempted a few times to jump in, but the subscription model and my lack of time and family, work etc has always given me pause.

No problem. You aren't the first to think that. :) It's really hard to keep up with all the different racing sims. Although, I've gravitated to the PC sims, because I'm most interested in very competitive racing, I've had a lot of fun on console titles too.

Many PC sim fans don't give the console sims much credit and many of the console fans don't realize what many of the PC sims have to offer.

iRacing has quite a few Forza and Gran Turismo fans, but it's hard to go back to racing with 8 people online when you've gotten used to up to 43. Bigger fields aren't necessary to have fun, but running at Daytona or Watkins Glen or Indianapolis with 8 drivers just isn't the same as a full field.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Console sims tend (big generalization coming) to focus on ambiance, atmosphere, graphics and fun. PC sims tend to focus on physics and realism. Console sims are fun, PC sims are fun too, but with less fanfare and more focused on physics.

iRacing is probably the most hardcore. It's expensive and very competitive. It's collected more of the best PC sim racers all in one place. I've been in competitive sports all my life, so I want to be tested against the best. Thus, even though iRacing is very expensive it's where I spend most of my time.

New GT5 crash vid up! Nice! You can actually see the driver inside!

crash2.gif

TylerD

GT5 is my most anticipated game of all time, but I just ordered a 360 Elite for Forza 3. They are both amazing games in different areas and if you own both consoles, are a petrol head and don't get both... i don't know what to tell you.

I can't wait to experience the best that both of these games have to offer.

TylerD said:
GT5 is my most anticipated game of all time, but I just ordered a 360 Elite for Forza 3. They are both amazing games in different areas and if you own both consoles, are a petrol head and don't get both... i don't know what to tell you.

Wrong thread dude.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
TylerD said:

GTFO troll.

Apex

Iknos said:
With previous GT games car and tire performance was tweaked so that it would get similar times to real life track times.

X variable + Y variable = RL track time
So you play around with X and Y to get the right track time. Sort of working backwards from the answer.
Were that info come from? or its only an assumption?

shpankey

not an idiot
belvedere said:
Must be GT PSP then.

:lol
I think so too, see he doesn't have a car yet because on this day they weren't selling the car he wanted. So he has to drive like this until tomorrow, and then maybe they will be selling then. Maybe.

Branson

Jack B said:
No problem. You aren't the first to think that. :) It's really hard to keep up with all the different racing sims. Although, I've gravitated to the PC sims, because I'm most interested in very competitive racing, I've had a lot of fun on console titles too.

Many PC sim fans don't give the console sims much credit and many of the console fans don't realize what many of the PC sims have to offer.

iRacing has quite a few Forza and Gran Turismo fans, but it's hard to go back to racing with 8 people online when you've gotten used to up to 43. Bigger fields aren't necessary to have fun, but running at Daytona or Watkins Glen or Indianapolis with 8 drivers just isn't the same as a full field.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Console sims tend (big generalization coming) to focus on ambiance, atmosphere, graphics and fun. PC sims tend to focus on physics and realism. Console sims are fun, PC sims are fun too, but with less fanfare and more focused on physics.

iRacing is probably the most hardcore. It's expensive and very competitive. It's collected more of the best PC sim racers all in one place. I've been in competitive sports all my life, so I want to be tested against the best. Thus, even though iRacing is very expensive it's where I spend most of my time.

Pretty much. Loooooveee iRacing. And also like GT and Forza.

Jack B

TylerD said:

What a buzz kill for this thread! Just kidding... +1,000,000 :D

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
TylerD said:
GT5 graphix kick Forza 3's graphix in the nuts. Is that better? :D

That video interview in gamtrailers with GT5 playing in the back didn't look as impressive as the pics shown. Just watching that video, I would assume they are just replaying GT3.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jack B said:
What a buzz kill for this thread!
The ISR review pretty much said the same thing - if they didn't already own 360s, they'd buy one and a wheel setup just for Forza.

skulpt

100% cosmetic is a joke. Actual damage that tweaks the cars performance? It's there but very basic. You're not going to be getting varying degrees of anything. But I'm not saying GT5 will be any better with this kind of damage. I'm really glad it's there in Forza 3, but it's predictable and very basic. At least from my time with the demo. But I'm sure people who have spent more time with the game can easily back me up or dispel what I'm saying. :)

XiaNaphryz said:
Are we just talking about visual damage only here? Because the damage modeling in terms of how the cars perform can't be described as "arcade" at all. Hell, it sounds like you can totally trash your clutch, gearbox, transmission, etc just from improperly using the clutch while shifting if you do it enough according to the ISR Forza review, who also thought that while the damage model still seemed too soft it was good enough to be considered a benchmark and was even better than some PC sims like iRacing.

ShapeGSX

skulpt said:
100% cosmetic is a joke. Actual damage that tweaks the cars performance? It's there but very basic. You're not going to be getting varying degrees of anything. But I'm not saying GT5 will be any better with this kind of damage. I'm really glad it's there in Forza 3, but it's predictable and very basic. At least from my time with the demo. But I'm sure people who have spent more time with the game can easily back me up or dispel what I'm saying. :)

No, you do get varying degrees of damage to different driveline parts in Forza. You can even view what is damaged and how much in the telemetry.

TylerD said:

kanye?

ShapeGSX

skulpt said:
I think a just as important question is...

Have people / reviewers playing Forza 3 compared their lap times to actual races with the same cars? I know some of the tracks are fictional. But for the ones that are 100% the same, are people getting the same track times?

I personally could care less about how many calculations are happening per second if the cars aren't making the same kind of lap times. It's obvious then that those calculations don't mean as much as Turn10 would want them to be.

Apparently it is good enough for a driver like Stephane Sarrazin to be within 2/10th of his actual time on LeMans vs in Forza 3:
http://kotaku.com/5382400/real-racers-talk-forza-3

Watch the 1st video (well, and the 2nd, if you want):

Real track: 1:06.5
Forza 3: 1:06.7

That's pretty amazing.

RankoSD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PGrDgJ9zmU

Video that shows physics difference between F3 and GTPSP :lol
It clearly shows how much the F3 physics is forgiving (you can't feel the momentum of the car when you go left and right on the strait line) and how much you can go off the track with losing nearly nothing while in the GTPSP (if you try the momentum of the car on the strait line you will soon turn around) tires get more dirtier if the car goes off the track so it slides like in GT5p...
F3 was driven with the full gas and full brake because PSP doesn't have pressure sensitivity so the comparison makes sense...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Youc an't really say anything about "feel" with momentum without knowing how the controller/wheel is rumbling, especially if you have a high-end setup like the Fanatec.

Isn't ISR doing a GT PSP review soon anyway? I'm sure that will provide more fodder for this nonsense. ;P

RankoSD

XiaNaphryz said:
Youc an't really say anything about "feel" with momentum without knowing how the controller/wheel is rumbling, especially if you have a high-end setup like the Fanatec.
I'm talking about the weight of the car, if you go left and right the weight of the car will start shifting and you will eventually lose the grip and turn around, it doesn't happening in F3...

Flo_Evans

RankoSD said:

It clearly shows how much the F3 physics is forgiving (you can't feel the momentum of the car when you go left and right on the strait line) and how much you can go off the track with losing nearly nothing while in the GTPSP (if you try the momentum of the car on the strait line you will soon turn around) tires get more dirtier if the car goes off the track so it slides like in GT5p...
F3 was driven with the full gas and full brake because PSP doesn't have pressure sensitivity so the comparison makes sense...

uh, what tires are you using in Forza? Put R3's on in GTpsp and it will act pretty much the same...

skyfinch

RankoSD said:

D-pad to play a racing game? I remembering doing that for Hang-On on my Sega Master system.

belvedere

Junior Butler
RankoSD said:

Obviously it's a bit foolish to make a complete verdict from a video, but the car barely even looks like it's reacting to the track in FM3. If you'd take the cockpit out of the view it would be like a camera simply following the track, or more like driving a hover craft around the track instead of a car.

Cheeto

belvedere said:
Obviously it's a bit foolish to make a complete verdict from a video, but the car barely even looks like it's reacting to the track in FM3. If you'd take the cockpit out of the view it would be like a camera simply following the track, or more like driving a hover craft around the track instead of a car.
Hmm, hovercraft...perhaps Magic Carpet?

ShapeGSX

belvedere said:

Drive around a concrete track like Sebring and you wouldn't have the same opinion. There is a bump on the last corner of the full track that has taken out many Forza 2 drivers.

ShapeGSX

RankoSD said:

To me, it just looks like it is easier to counter-steer correctly on an analog controller than a D-pad.

ShapeGSX said:
Apparently it is good enough for a driver like Stephane Sarrazin to be within 2/10th of his actual time on LeMans vs in Forza 3:
http://kotaku.com/5382400/real-racers-talk-forza-3

Watch the 1st video (well, and the 2nd, if you want):

Real track: 1:06.5
Forza 3: 1:06.7

That's pretty amazing.
What variant of the Le mans circuit is that? This years pole time was 3:22.888. The Bugatti Circuit (used by Moto GP and DTM) is shorter, but 1:06 still seems fast. I'm confused.

Edit:
Okay it's the Petit Le Mans, Road Atlanta not the Circuit de la Sarthe. It's confusing when they show the Le Mans circuit on the screen (as he is playing it). Bit of a mix up there.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Cheeto said:
Hmm, hovercraft...perhaps Magic Carpet?

Hey, didn't want to go there. :lol

ShapeGSX said:
Drive around a concrete track like Sebring and you wouldn't have the same opinion. There is a bump on the last corner of the full track that has taken out many Forza 2 drivers.

I know most of the sponsor race cars have much tighter suspension, maybe that's what he was driving. I haven't got to sit down with it yet but I'll definitely do as you suggested.

This thread sure has gone quiet now that F3 is dominating the universe with an every growing array of of 10's.

The King is Dead.
Long Live the King.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Omar Ismail said:
This thread sure has gone quiet now that F3 is dominating the universe with an every growing array of of 10's.

The King is Dead.
Long Live the King.

Actually, I think the Uncharted and Demon's Souls threads just keep knocking it back a page.

Keikoku

Banned
belvedere said:
Actually, I think the Uncharted and Demon's Souls threads just keep knocking it back a page.

Bu-bu-but Uncharted 2 and Demon's Soul threads have more pages.

Wow dude. That's pathetic. You're a good successor to Interfectum though, good job.

Shaneus

belvedere said:

You've noticed that all the posts on this page on the thread have been spread over several days, yeah?

Top Bottom