• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

BeeDog said:
I hate to participate in these pissing contests, but if there's just one thing that GT5 will objectively do much better than its competitors, it's the photo mode options (and output). So I wouldn't worry about that part at all.

It is 8 megapixels right? That's fucking insane.

Haunted

Interfectum said:
6e408l.jpg

Did che make it through the night? Post something brah.
Good lord! Best rain effects in a racing game since PGR4.

And to think it took someone years since PGR4...

PGR5 better skip the 360 and just become a launch title for the next gen, as GT5 just satisfied my need for awesome rain effects at night. :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
CrushDance said:
:lol Unbelievable. You people do realize for the billionth time that this is not the standard development cycle for PD right? it took 5 years because they scrapped everything and started fresh. This whole "bu bu 5 years" thing is so old and wrong.
They certainly didn't scrap 80% of the cars.

RavenFox

Banned
Trickster said:
Yes, I'm sure we all expected him to say that there were a lot of big features they would loved to have in their game if they had been given more time. Afterall that's what studio heads normally do right around the time their new games is released, right?

I'd love to know your reasons for this, I mean, you have reasons for saying it, right?

Only reason I can see would be the storage limit of DVD's.
That's one reason
And then you incorporate Bandwidth and Cell. Shit I even get 7.1 sound.
Also I don't know what the denial is between 360 and PS3 these days. The 360 cannot keep up with PS3's best. Two wonderful machines but one just has the tech edge. If you can't understand that the machine is throwing 16 cars at you with dynamic weather and deformation plus all the other on the fly calculations while burning at full HD with a 99% 60fps framerate then we might as well just let it go.

evolution

Cuban Legend said:

PGR5 better skip the 360 and just become a launch title for the next gen, as GT5 just satisfied my need for awesome rain effects at night. :lol
I think PGR is dead, microsoft killed it

AndyD

aka andydumi
evolution said:
I think PGR is dead, microsoft killed it

Didnt they join the PGR and Forza studios? So we could see a grafting of the PGR weather effects into the Forza world.

There has been very little news on the future of both those franchises.

Wazzim

Banned
BeeDog said:
I hate to participate in these pissing contests, but if there's just one thing that GT5 will objectively do much better than its competitors, it's the photo mode options (and output). So I wouldn't worry about that part at all.
That's great, can't wait to take some shots :D

chespace said:
Ouch. :lol
Atleast they model their own cars instead of outsourcing.

:D

evolution

AndyD said:
Didnt they join the PGR and Forza studios? So we could see a grafting of the PGR weather effects into the Forza world.

There has been very little news on the future of both those franchises.
IDK, i just know bizarre won't be making another since their with activision now.

Guy Legend

bud said:
honestly, gt5 makes f3 look like a last-gen racer; not just in terms of technology

i liken the gap between the two series right now to the grand canyon

che bailed out at the right time; he must've known what polyphony were doing and that it'd embarass t10's releases and that trolling gt5 on videogame messageboards would soon end up looking pretty fucking stupid

i mean, you must be utterly depressed if you're a t10 developer right now
:lol

Ploid 3.0

cjelly said:
They certainly didn't scrap 80% of the cars.

Har har, the cars they added took months and they were most likely making cars all throughout the process of developing the game. They could very well still be at it for the catalog since they are already thinking about GT6. It's obvious that GT5 isn't just a new coat of paint, a new foundation, frame, and structure was created. If it was possible they would have used PS1 models for GT3. GT3 had so few cars compared to GT2.

GT4 was able to have the amount of cars because of GT3's foundation work. PS2 to PS3 isn't as bad as going from PS1 to PS2. People considered GoW2 as a game that was almost as good as a now gen game, and on PS2 GT4 was among the best looking game, heck it still looks great and it shows. Since they couldn't produce as many cars as they wanted why not include the great looking catalog from GT4 until they get that updated some day? They had time but not all the time in the world, and the cars don't look bad. I won't be kicking any of them out of my garage unless they are crap performance wise. If it wins me races and I can't afford better it's a great tool.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cuban Legend said:

*not suggesting that you are bashing either*

PGR4 was 30 fps @ 1280x720 while GT5 is 60 fps @ 1280x1080. Beyond that, the rain itself looks a whole lot better really. PGR4 had awesome shader effects on the surfaces, but the rain drops and reaction of those drops wasn't really that great (was very disappointed in that aspect).

There is a possibility that GT5 final may be true 1920x1080 as well (Prologue was only 1280x1080, which is still a nice boost over 720p).

It also seems to have a more dynamic lighting and shadow system as the day/night cycles occur while actually racing.

That being said, I enjoyed PGR4 more than any other Gran Turismo game to date. I also adore Blur. It's a shame PGR seems to be dead. :(

Metalmurphy said:
Except they released 2 games between that and are releasing the third soon. As you said...

Two games? You mean a work in progress snapshot of GT5 and GT PSP which I already covered? Are you comparing a portable game that took many years to make (it was first announced in 2004) and still ended up being very bare-bones in modes and features to a full-blown, full-studio project like Forza 2? Okay then.

I have no idea why you feel the need to be so defensive about it (well, I do have a hunch). There's no denying that the project took agonizingly long to finish. The results will probably be worth the wait, nobody is denying that, but that's another thing entirely.

Also, did you forget what I even replied to? Lemme refresh your memory.

"I mean, personally I would love to see T10 have the same budget and time to make a game that PD gets."

So? I was replying to your specific statement that GT5 took less time to make than Forza 2 and Forza 3 combined, and that's just not true.

Melfice7 said:
its 2005 now? ps3 only released november 06, and 07 on europe, its 4 years old in november, so it really doesnt matter if gt5 was in development since 1995 you could only have played it in the last FOUR years

No doubt, I was just saying that you'd probably feel at least a bit angry if they showed you that gif in 2005 (when next gen GT vision was presented at E3) and then told you you'd have to wait until 2010 to actually play it. Jesus, people can be so touchy when GT is in question.

Senua

Gold Member
chespace said:
Ouch. :lol
btw che, we know that forza 2 used slightly touched up forza 1 models and forza 3 used forza 2 models (with slight alterations) in gameplay..i'm not talking about the hi LOD menu/photomode models

Ploid 3.0

281bryt.gif

Is this from a game or something? I see a lot of people with different avatars in the same style. One is jumping from a falling pillar after pushing a ball into it then gets squished. All show the character getting killed or something. At first I thought it was a Boondocks episode since that's what your's look like.

Ploid 3.0 said:
281bryt.gif

Is this from a game or something? I see a lot of people with different avatars in the same style. One is jumping from a falling pillar after pushing a ball into it then gets squished. All show the character getting killed or something. At first I thought it was a Boondocks episode since that's what your's look like.

Yes, an XBLA game called Limbo.

Keikoku

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
281bryt.gif

It's from Limbo.

BeeDog

Lion Heart said:
Im sure those gifs are the same resolution, its just AA that is improved.

I think it's obvious that the GT trailers are supersampled 'renders' of the in-game assets. For example, the dashboard shadows are super-clean in the videos, while we all know they're rough in-game. But of course, the game still looks great in-game. :)

lunlunqq

BeeDog said:
I think it's obvious that the GT trailers are supersampled 'renders' of the in-game assets. For example, the dashboard shadows are super-clean in the videos, while we all know they're rough in-game. But of course, the game still looks great in-game. :)

? i thought the dashboard self-shadows were always good. it's the shadows from outside trees that have problems.

Keikoku

Banned
lunlunqq said:
Che never learns... when will he finally realize he can never win in trolling GT5?

Judging by the number of angry fanboys reactions he's getting, he's actually winning if you ask me.

Ploid 3.0

Sorry about the OT, holy crap that's a game!?

On topic, did PD make Tourist Trophy after GT4?

About Che, just laugh at his past claims and move on. You'll never get him to admit he was silly. Inside he's shocked at GT5 like we are.

saladine1

Seriously Che, were you fired from T10 or did you leave on your own accord?
What really happened mate and can you tell us anything about FM4?
All serious questions..

Ploid 3.0

Anyway this how long it took them to make GT5 is moot anyway, all that matters is the game.

Also, we all knew (or should have known) GT5:p wouldn't be a window of how GT5 would be. The prologues were always inferior to the final GT's.

You have to see Forza 3 in motion. I always hated those troll pics. It's no GT5, but it's not ugly either. On the other hand Forza does better things then Gt, like 3d spectators and full cockpit on all cars.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Two games? You mean a work in progress snapshot of GT5 and GT PSP which I already covered?
Doesn't matter what they are, they still go through the same processes YOU mentioned. Testing, QA, certefication, etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AndyD said:
Didnt they join the PGR and Forza studios?

:lol :lol :lol No. MS basically wanted to whore PGR year-after-year-after-year or something to that effect, Bizzare got tired of it, told them to screw off. Went to Activision. Made Blur.

PGR team is Bizzare. Without them, MS has to farm the PGR license (IIRC they own it) to Turn 10/other studios.

Melfice7

Tears For Fears said:
You have to see Forza 3 in motion. I always hated those troll pics. It's no GT5, but it's not ugly either. On the other hand Forza does better things then Gt, like 3d spectators and full cockpit on all cars.

low quality cockpits (in comparison) and btw isnt it just half the car modeled? if you look back you just get a reverse camera outside of the car

Top Bottom