• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Razgreez

Lagspike_exe said:
You would feel ripped of by buying GT5 for $60? Are you fucking serious?

I feel ripped off whenever i have to pay for a constant stream of DLC within months of a game's release. Not that i pay for it. I never buy DLC unless it comes as full, discounted expansion pack

Razgreez said:
I feel ripped off whenever i have to pay for a constant stream of DLC within months of a game's release. Not that i pay for it. I never buy DLC unless it comes as full, discounted expansion pack

Uh, many games get DLC within a month. Also - you said you would feel ripped if DLC was released within a year. I bet over 80% of AAA games this gen (excluding Wii) got DLC in that timeframe.

You don't have to pay for any of it if you're satisfied with what the game offers, however, and I presume you base your buying decisions on what's on the disc and not on what's coming down the line. But some people always want more and DLC is there to satisfy them.

Razgreez said:

I bet they continually keep modeling new cars before and after the game has gone gold. How in the world can they even get those cars in the final version. Releasing them a year after takes much to long.

Interfectum said:
6e408l.jpg

Did che make it through the night? Post something brah.
:O

This is the first time a racing game has invoked PGR4-esque memories within me. Bravo, Polyphony...

Yoboman

Razgreez said:
No doubt i'd be lying if i said i've not been somewhat perturbed by the time it has taken for this game to be developed. However unlike with most games this one has, seemingly, improved in leaps and bounds over the years it's been in development or for it can be forgiven. As long as the game does not release any pay-for dlc within the first yr after its actual release i.e. things that should've been on disc but aren't, it's all good. As a consumer i just want to feel satisfied at the end of the day - not ripped off

Mind you it's closer to 2011 actually:lol
How can they be things that should've been on the disc if they are developed after it ships?

I don't own a PS3, as for the longest time, I didn't feel it had enough games on it that interested me enough warrant buying one. But GT5 is one of my most wanted games for it, and may sway me into getting one eventually. I don't even care for racing simulators at all, but I bought Forza 3 as all my friends were playing it online, and it was just so masterfully put together, I fell in love with it (I suck at it, but the fact that I still enjoy it so much despite that also says a lot about how good it is).

Since Gran Turismo 5 is being compared to Forza 3 in terms of quality, and the feature list is HUGE, that's enough to get my interest. Even if I'm not a fan of a genre, if a game is a masterpiece, that's enough for me.

Interfectum said:
6e408l.jpg

Did che make it through the night? Post something brah.

Is this seriously footage of GT5 gameplay? Holy shit if it is. I never play racing games with the interior camera perspective, but I sure as hell will be in GT5 if the game looks like THAT.

GT5 automatically wins because it will not be "on rails" like Forza 3. People seem to love the Forza physics, but the driving model never seemed very convincing to me. Even Need for Speed Shift feels very superior to me in that regard (Among other things like engine sound and the cockpit view). Both games have boring careers, so I hope GT5 can fix that aspect as well.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
So even if pre-production work on their PS3 GT tech hasn't started until Tourist Trophy was finished, and that's unlikely for such an important franchise, that's 4 years versus 4 years. What's not to understand?

Except they released 2 games between that and are releasing the third soon. As you said...

"The cycles (and therefore, the time you can invest in some features) are completely different when you have two games to finish, test and ship in the same amount of time another studio takes to develop only one."

Also, did you forget what I even replied to? Lemme refresh your memory.

"I mean, personally I would love to see T10 have the same budget and time to make a game that PD gets."

Wait what??? people are unhappy because a dev was given all the time they wanted to polish there game?.:D I wish every dev had the chance pd has had imagen the level of games we would be playing.

Melfice7

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Not saying that it isn't at all. Although, if someone showed you that gif in 2005 and said "You'll get this... in 2010!", I'm sure you'd be a little annoyed ;)

its 2005 now? ps3 only released november 06, and 07 on europe, its 4 years old in november, so it really doesnt matter if gt5 was in development since 1995 you could only have played it in the last FOUR years

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
That looks amazing.

This game may just make me finally get a PS3. Still trying not to get too hyped though, GT4 is still a disappointment..

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Fender_Uk said:
lets wait till we see direct feed gameplay first

Agreed, I have know doubt that GT5 will look stunning but lets not try to over hype ourselves otherwise it won't live up to our own expectations, replay shots in micro gif form will always look pretty spectacular, that being said though,

OMG!

;-P

RavenFox

Banned
evolution said:
T10 just has different priorities compared with nearly all other game developers. They decided to focus on the livery editor and online infrastructure and kinda left the racing aspect on the back burner. Its not like GT is the first game to have weather effects, and night racing, plenty of other studios have already implemented said features in their games. In fact i think the Forza games are the only ones thats still limited to 8 cars on the track, which is pretty sad.
Your denial is sad really really sad. GT5 is doing what no console and PC [yup the weather to be specific so don't pass it off as other games have done weather. after watching GT5 we weren't looking at weather in other games but a horrible lie] is doing right now. Turn 10 even if they tried with 5 years gestation could not output half of GT5 on 360.

thuway

Ben2749 said:
I don't own a PS3, as for the longest time I didn't feel it had enough games on it that interested me enough warrant buying one. But GT5 is one of my most wanted games for it, and may sway me into getting one eventually. I don't even care for racing simulators at all, but I bought Forza 3 as all my friends were playing it online, and it was just so masterfully put together, I fell in love with it (I suck at it, but the fact that I still enjoy it so much despite that also says a lot about how good it is).

Since Gran Turismo 5 is being compared to Forza 3 in terms of quality, and the feature list is HUGE, that's enough to get my interest. Even if I'm not a fan of a genre, if a game is a masterpiece, that's enough for me.

Is this seriously footage of GT5 gameplay? Holy shit if it is. I never play racing games with the interior camera perspective, but I sure as hell will be in GT5 if the game looks like THAT.

GT5
Killzone 3
Liittle Big Planet 2 (skip the first)
God of War 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 1 and 2
Demons Soul

? Sell your 360?

Apex

RSTEIN said:
Greenawalt says team has ‘proven it can deliver a sim no-one else can touch’.

Turn 10 is “running out of improvements” to make on the Forza series.

Forza franchise director Dan Greenawalt told VideoGamer.com at E3 that the development team has “proven” that it can deliver a “simulator no-one else can touch”.

During Microsoft’s E309 media briefing last week, Greenawalt took to the stage to confirm the latest iteration in the Xbox-exclusive racing sim, Forza 3, would be released this October.

Greenawalt said: “Basically we’ve proven ourselves, that we can deliver a simulator no-one else can touch. For this version we made improvements but we’re actually running out of improvements to make because no-one else is doing the stuff we’re doing.

"I’ve made my job much, much, much harder. And that was the goal, right? In this version we’re saying we’ll perfect the racing game and start taking it beyond. What other racing game features do I want to do? Yeah there are a couple of little things, very small. They’re not easy, but they’re small.”

Razgreez

PjotrStroganov said:
I bet they continually keep modeling new cars before and after the game has gone gold. How in the world can they even get those cars in the final version. Releasing them a year after takes much to long.

Simple solution, do what they did with prologue and add them for free :)

Trickster

Apex said:

Yes, I'm sure we all expected him to say that there were a lot of big features they would loved to have in their game if they had been given more time. Afterall that's what studio heads normally do right around the time their new games is released, right?

RavenFox said:
Your denial is sad really really sad. GT5 is doing what no console and PC [yup the weather to be specific so don't pass it off as other games have done weather. after watching GT5 we weren't looking at weather in other games but a horrible lie] is doing right now. Turn 10 even if they tried with 5 years gestation could not output half of GT5 on 360.

I'd love to know your reasons for this, I mean, you have reasons for saying it, right?

Only reason I can see would be the storage limit of DVD's.

Razgreez said:
Simple solution, do what they did with prologue and add them for free :)

But who says they won't;)

We don't really don't know the business model yet for GT5 DLC but I bet we will get a mix of free and paid for cars.

I'd like to see a variation of F3's system. Bring out a car pack of which we can use one (or more) car for free. The other cars can be bought as a pack, and I'd like to see them sold individually. Going by the current PSN model, this seems the most obvious option. Letting me pick the car that I want for free would be even better.

What I'd also like, is that all cars in the pack can be tried before buying. Just let me test drive them for three laps before letting me decide if I want to buy that car/cars.

Salacious Crumb

schennmu said:
GT5 automatically wins because it will not be "on rails" like Forza 3. People seem to love the Forza physics, but the driving model never seemed very convincing to me. Even Need for Speed Shift feels very superior to me in that regard (Among other things like engine sound and the cockpit view). Both games have boring careers, so I hope GT5 can fix that aspect as well.

It wont, GT has always been a very dry game, and if you didn't enjoy Forza I really don't think you'll like GT5.

Metalmurphy said:
I mean, everything you see you'll get, but with less AA and lower resolution.

But you know, sometimes that is enough to change everything. Some last-gen games still look as good as current-gen games just with a resolution bump.

Still, GT5 will remain looking glorious, if Prologue was any indication.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
But you know, sometimes that is enough to change everything. Some last-gen games still look as good as current-gen games just with a resolution bump.

Still, GT5 will remain looking glorious, if Prologue was any indication.

It really doesnt matter. It will look leagues ahead of everything on consoles and really, thats all you can ask for.

Apex

Trickster said:
Yes, I'm sure we all expected him to say that there were a lot of big features they would loved to have in their game if they had been given more time. Afterall that's what studio heads normally do right around the time their new games is released, right?
You mean like KY?

Trickster said:
I'd love to know your reasons for this, I mean, you have reasons for saying it, right?

Only reason I can see would be the storage limit of DVD's.
PD is not T10, KY is not DG and PS3 is not x360.

Salacious Crumb said:
It wont, GT has always been a very dry game, and if you didn't enjoy Forza I really don't think you'll like GT5.

There is no doubt that I will like the whole package of GT5, I was specifically talking about the career mode. The experience of driving over the "Ring" in time trial alone warrants the purchase.

I did like GT4s career, but that was a long time ago. Well, I belong to the minority that likes the license tests, so that should keep me busy.

Trickster

Apex said:
You mean like KY?

I didn't said that studio heads never do it, just that most of the time they're not gonna do it, for good reason.

But the point was that you presented some PR talk as proof for why T10 would not be able to create a game with half as much content as GT5, were they given 5 years to make a game.

Apex said:
PD is not T10, KY is not DG and PS3 is not x360.

So wait, now the reason they wouldn't be able to do it, is that that T10 is not PD? You lost me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Trickster said:

Right. Kaz said just that. There's things he wants in but could not so he is shifting them to GT6. And other devs say this all the time, we could not add X,Y,Z due to time or whatever other constraints so we will look into them as patches or sequels.

If T10 says F3 is the best they can do aside from small improvements, they are done as far as racing games go in the future. If weather, daytime cycles and all the other stuff in GT5 is small details, then I would like to know what they consider big.

I didn't said that studio heads never do it, just that most of the time they're not gonna do it, for good reason.

But the point was that you presented some PR talk as proof for why T10 would not be able to create a game with half as much content as GT5, were they given 5 years to make a game.

No, its a bad reason to say you are done. Particularly when there is much to do and asked for by fans.

And T10 may be able to do it, but why didnt they, or why didnt they admit they were limited? Why not say, hey, here's an awesome game, but we have much more planned for the future, instead of saying we made the best thing ever and there is nothing to improve upon. Its cocky, arrogant, stupid and is getting them a lot of flak.

I mean anyone "could" do it if we take the monkeys on typewriters approach.

They need to step up and prove themselves now. Or admit they can't, due to time or financial constraints or whatever.

bud

honestly, gt5 makes f3 look like a last-gen racer; not just in terms of technology

i liken the gap between the two series right now to the grand canyon

che bailed out at the right time; he must've known what polyphony were doing and that it'd embarass t10's releases and that trolling gt5 on videogame messageboards would soon end up looking pretty fucking stupid

i mean, you must be utterly depressed if you're a t10 developer right now

Wazzim

Banned
bud said:
honestly, gt5 makes f3 look like a last-gen racer; not just in terms of technology

i liken the gap between the two series right now to the grand canyon

che bailed out at the right time; he must've known what polyphony were doing and that it'd embarass t10's releases and that trolling gt5 on videogame messageboards would soon end up looking pretty fucking stupid

i mean, you must be utterly depressed if you're a t10 developer right now
Well no, they still get paid, sold alot of copies. I think it's great to work at T10 right now.
And a gap as the grand canyon may be true but it doesn't look like a last gen racer at all in any aspect. F3 is still the no.2 racing sim this gen after GT5.

That said, F3 only looks a bit close to GT5 when using the photomode (which is SUPERB in F3, and will hopefully also be as good in GT5)

Trickster said:

Kaz just did it at TGS what's your point .
Plus the PS3 can do more for many reason like Blu Ray , Cell , HDD every console , Sony teams sharing tech.
I think by now that most people would notice that Sony first party devs are above almost everyone.

slider

Wazzim said:
Well no, they still get paid, sold alot of copies. I think it's great to work at T10 right now.
And a gap as the grand canyon may be true but it doesn't look like a last gen racer at all in any aspect. F3 is still the no.2 racing sim this gen after GT5.

That said, F3 only looks a bit close to GT5 when using the photomode (which is SUPERB in F3, and will hopefully also be as good in GT5)

And I'd hope it inspires F4.

I really hope MS haven't bailed outta the franchise/T10! Otherwise my pov is redudant.

paskowitz

To me, what holds FM3 back is the number of cars on track. When you play any track longer than Tskuba it feels like all the other cars just disappear and you basically time trialing, which is no fun. In GT5p I always feel like I am racing in a crowd of cars, which is fun even if the Ai sucks.

What holds GT back the most are the sounds. Anyone who has played a decent PC sim knows how good sounds can really help the immersion. It may seem like a small thing but its quite important.

At the end of the day FM3 is a great game. Certainly one of the best racing games released, but it left me with this stale feeling. Besides the livery editor there was not that much to do. Also the limited number of tracks really hurt. Besides Fujimi Kaido none of T10's tracks where really worth driving. This left the handful of real circuits, which eventually got old.

Its a shame, FM3 will probably be remembered for its arrogant PR more than its overall quality.

BeeDog

Wazzim said:

I hate to participate in these pissing contests, but if there's just one thing that GT5 will objectively do much better than its competitors, it's the photo mode options (and output). So I wouldn't worry about that part at all.

Eccocid

Quote:
"Greenawalt says team has ‘proven it can deliver a sim no-one else can touch’.

Turn 10 is “running out of improvements” to make on the Forza series.

Forza franchise director Dan Greenawalt told VideoGamer.com at E3 that the development team has “proven” that it can deliver a “simulator no-one else can touch”.

During Microsoft’s E309 media briefing last week, Greenawalt took to the stage to confirm the latest iteration in the Xbox-exclusive racing sim, Forza 3, would be released this October.

Greenawalt said: “Basically we’ve proven ourselves, that we can deliver a simulator no-one else can touch. For this version we made improvements but we’re actually running out of improvements to make because no-one else is doing the stuff we’re doing.

"I’ve made my job much, much, much harder. And that was the goal, right? In this version we’re saying we’ll perfect the racing game and start taking it beyond. What other racing game features do I want to do? Yeah there are a couple of little things, very small. They’re not easy, but they’re small.”

LOL...hard to swallow..fucking long, too many words ahaha

Top Bottom