• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Senua

Gold Member
Melfice7 said:
low quality cockpits (in comparison) and btw isnt it just half the car modeled? if you look back you just get a reverse camera outside of the car
Its just the front side of the car on the gameplay LOD but on the menu LOD its the whole interior

Metalmurphy said:
Doesn't matter what they are, they still go through the same processes YOU mentioned. Testing, QA, certefication, etc.

Can you really not grasp the difference? In GT5's case, the development process never really stopped. Prologue wasn't a fully-featured game so when it was ready to ship, they handed it over to the QA team and continued working on additional features and content. The whole development process was set up that way from the get go, the models, textures, everything could have been made according to the near-final specs from the very beginning.

GT PSP didn't affect the GT5 project even that much, it was a separate, smaller scale production and GT5 kept on going in parallel.

It's very different when you're developing two successive games. The first project has a definite end. Then you take a short break, review everything, decide on the improvements and new features and start updating the tech. You have to revise the old content to make it up to date with the new specs, you have to create all the new content, you have to update all the main game modes and components (many of which GT5P didn't even bother with) and perhaps build new ones. In essence, you end up doing plenty of work twice. That's not nearly the same.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
X26 said:
Cars in F3 don't look like they're floating, so they atleast impoved that aspect

Plus they don't feel like they're driving on ice cubes. Going by the F3 demo versus F2 retail anyway.

That said: The lighting for Forza 3 is impressive, but everything else (IMO) is really a step down from Forza 2. I said it earlier in this thread a year ago: F2 felt more "clean" in the environments than Forza 3/demo's.

TheSeks said:
:lol :lol :lol No. MS basically wanted to whore PGR year-after-year-after-year or something to that effect, Bizzare got tired of it, told them to screw off. Went to Activision. Made Blur.

Um, no, the reasons for Bizarre's departure were different. Basically, PGR4 was rushed because of Microsoft's last minute decision to cut the development cycle short by six weeks. Bizarre were also not pleased with the amount of attention they were getting compared to Turn10 and Forza, and the fact that all PGR games before PGR4 were basically launch titles (even PGR2 was a launch title for Live) and thus rushed by default. You can read more about it here.

I believe I also read that Microsoft decided to give PGR5 to another team before Bizarre chose to join Activision.

spwolf

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Can you really not grasp the difference? In GT5's case, the development process never really stopped. Prologue wasn't a fully-featured game so when it was ready to ship, they handed it over to the QA team and continued working on additional features and content. The whole development process was set up that way from the get go, the models, textures, everything could have been made according to the near-final specs from the very beginning.

GT PSP didn't affect the GT5 project even that much, it was a separate, smaller scale production and GT5 kept on going in parallel.

It's very different when you're developing two successive games. The first project has a definite end. Then you take a short break, review everything, decide on the improvements and new features and start updating the tech. You have to revise the old content to make it up to date with the new specs, you have to create all the new content, you have to update all the main game modes and components (many of which GT5P didn't even bother with) and perhaps build new ones. In essence, you end up doing plenty of work twice. That's not nearly the same.

it is not different at all, unless you are wearing colored glasses.

cgcg

Fender_Uk said:
btw che, we know that forza 2 used slightly touched up forza 1 models and forza 3 used forza 2 models (with slight alterations) in gameplay..i'm not talking about the hi LOD menu/photomode models

Lies, photomode models are the same as in game model. Confirmed by Chespace himself, the self professed biggest graphics whore of Turn 10, you can't get any more concrete than that.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Sorry but that's just utter bullshit. Going from GT5P to GT5 is no different then going from Forza 2 to Forza 3. They reviewed everything, learned from it, some stuff is reused, MOST STUFF redone, ALOT more stuff added, etc. If you look at GT5P and GT5 now and you think otherwise then I dunno what to tell you.

You claimed they hand it over to the QA team and continued work with GT5, you think the same didn't happen to Forza 3?... Please...

And you can claim GTPSP is a small project all you want, it's still one more project they had. And one more the T10 did.

cgcg said:
Lies, photomode models are the same as in game model. Confirmed by Chespace himself, the self professed biggest graphics whore of Turn 10, you can't get any more concrete than that.

Not sure if serious...

Metalmurphy said:
Sorry but that's just utter bullshit. Going from GT5P to GT5 is no different then going from Forza 2 to Forza 3. They reviewed everything, learned from it, some stuff is reused, MOST STUFF redone, ALOT more stuff added, etc. If you look at GT5P and GT5 now and you think otherwise then I dunno what to tell you.

You claimed they hand it over to the QA team and continued work with GT5, you think the same didn't happen to Forza 3?... Please...

Oh dear. I give up, I was clearly wrong.

...to even enter this discussion. Make that this thread.

cjelly said:
They certainly didn't scrap 80% of the cars.
chespace said:
Ouch. :lol

You people are pathetic. Is it that difficult to understand that with redoing the entire game engine(hardest part and even more so in a sim) that they didn't have time to remodel all the cars? What is so difficult to grasp about that? The 200 cars that were modeled are beyond anything in Forza anyway. GT5 is pulling off more features than Forza period. Look at GOW3, took them the same amount of time for the sequel, why? because they started fresh even though they began work right after GOW2.

AndyD said:
Right. Kaz said just that. There's things he wants in but could not so he is shifting them to GT6. And other devs say this all the time, we could not add X,Y,Z due to time or whatever other constraints so we will look into them as patches or sequels.

If T10 says F3 is the best they can do aside from small improvements, they are done as far as racing games go in the future. If weather, daytime cycles and all the other stuff in GT5 is small details, then I would like to know what they consider big.

No, its a bad reason to say you are done. Particularly when there is much to do and asked for by fans.

And T10 may be able to do it, but why didnt they, or why didnt they admit they were limited? Why not say, hey, here's an awesome game, but we have much more planned for the future, instead of saying we made the best thing ever and there is nothing to improve upon. Its cocky, arrogant, stupid and is getting them a lot of flak.

I mean anyone "could" do it if we take the monkeys on typewriters approach.

They need to step up and prove themselves now. Or admit they can't, due to time or financial constraints or whatever.

/thread

Wazzim

Banned
Melfice7 said:
low quality cockpits (in comparison) and btw isnt it just half the car modeled? if you look back you just get a reverse camera outside of the car
>___> The whole car is modeled, ever played it? You can easily see it in the menu screen, gameplay while rotating with right stick etc.

EDIT:
Fender_Uk said:
Its just the front side of the car on the gameplay LOD but on the menu LOD its the whole interior
Serious? I played it today and I could swear to see the full interior, may be photomode then.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
I like to see what turn 10 does with forza 4. It's going to be interesting. Probably add more cars and improve the graphic a little. Also natal support.

.......glad the king is back tho. I have made fun of gt series in the past but gt5 it's looks amazing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Oh dear. I give up, I was clearly wrong.

...to even enter this discussion. Make that this thread.
shouldn't you be looking for kinect predictions to bookmark

spwolf

shagg_187 said:
Umm... can we stop feeding the trolls? I don't care if Kaz himself starts posting here, but if he trolls, we need to stop supporting/bashing the troll. Ignore the troll and get over with it.

well this thread is troll thread so it wouldnt happen anywhere else :D

Senua

Gold Member
Wazzim said:
I know but whole parts of the interior missing ingame is something new..
its been known since the demo came out, i even got banned on forza forums for making a thread about it for "trolling" even though i'm a fan of the series and had a preorder for the game lol

FM3s new tracks, like Amalfi coast, look fine. The older tracks have overhauled lighting and better road textures. they might look sterile, but the lighting is more natural and aesthetically pleasing than the ugly and excessive bloom lighting from FM2.:lol The improvements from FM2 to 3 or most noticable in bumper cam view. actual in game/replay cars didnt do much for me from a graphics standpoint.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
REMEMBER CITADEL said:

:lol :lol plz tell me you are a polyphony employee

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Y2kev still making this thread worth clicking to.

GT5, it's the new standard. I think if anyone actually researches the work PD has done to make everything better, they would realize how impressive the package is. The Motortrend interview is really insightful.

And another level of awesome to PD and Kaz, he actually worked with Red Bull folks to design a special car just for GT5. It will be epic, this game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
LiquidMetal14 said:
Y2kev still making this thread worth clicking to.

GT5, it's the new standard. I think if anyone actually researches the work PD has done to make everything better, they would realize how impressive the package is. The Motortrend interview is really insightful.

And another level of awesome to PD and Kaz, he actually worked with Red Bull folks to design a special car just for GT5. It will be epic, this game.

Citroen as well. And the Isuzu concept. And who knows if there are more surprises.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AndyD said:
Citroen as well. And the Isuzu concept. And who knows if there are more surprises.
When people start focusing on the obvious things, they forget just how dedicated Kaz and his team are to cars/racing. That is the true separation between him and his competition.

J-Rzez

Turn 10 was super arrogant with the "definitive" talk, and the follow up interviews for sure. They wanted to play hardball with one of the most powerful/influential franchises in gaming, so they are getting what they brought upon themselves basically.

I hope they kept their ponchos from E3 so they don't have their clothes ruined.

Shaneus

J-Rzez said:
Turn 10 was super arrogant with the "definitive" talk, and the follow up interviews for sure. They wanted to play hardball with one of the most powerful/influential franchises in gaming, so they are getting what they brought upon themselves basically.
What exactly did they bring upon themselves? They managed to hold their own against (and influence) one of the biggest gaming franchises in history. Without T10, who knows what GT5 we'd be getting... certainly not one as good as the one being released in a few months.

Shaneus said:
What exactly did they bring upon themselves? They managed to hold their own against (and influence) one of the biggest gaming franchises in history. Without T10, who knows what GT5 we'd be getting... certainly not one as good as the one being released in a few months.

We would be getting the same GT since Kaz had whole bunch of stuff plan for GT HD which made it's way into GT 5.
This was showed years ago , in fact many people did not think he would have gotten it done but almost everything on that list made it in .
Turn 10 did not change GT 5 in anyway Kaz had a plan and he stick with it , only it took much longer that he thought after GT HD got cut .

EDIT i can't find that pic at all.

Truespeed

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Is that something that Kaz said? If not, how would you know otherwise? It's not as if PD outsourced GT PSP so how could it not have affected the development of GT5? If those resources allocated to GT PSP were on GT5 don't you think we would be playing GT5 right now?

Truespeed

Tears For Fears said:
I'm not sure GT5 is good, I've never played it. I'll reserve my opinion until I get my hands on a copy. Assumptions too many people make them.

Although we respect your opinion, it's kind of silly to ignore the numerous praises lavished upon it by people that know racing games.

Shaneus

gundamkyoukai said:
We would be getting the same GT since Kaz had whole bunch of stuff plan for GT HD which made it's way into GT 5.
This was showed years ago , in fact many people did not think he would have gotten it done but almost everything on that list made it in .
Turn 10 did not change GT 5 in anyway Kaz had a plan and he stick with it , only it took much longer that he thought after GT HD got cut .

So they were going to include damage from day one? Give me a break :lol

Sure, T10 did a lot of things wrong in their management of the Forza series, but to flat out deny that it's had at least some influence in GT5 is ludicrous and reeks of fanboy blind-sightedness.

Firewire

Banned
Shaneus said:
bullshit

evolution

Shaneus said:

Sure, T10 did a lot of things wrong in their management of the Forza series, but to flat out deny that it's had at least some influence in GT5 is ludicrous and reeks of fanboy blind-sightedness.
uhh yeah Kaz kas been talking about a damage even before Gt4 came out. You think forza was the game that made him want to implement damage?

Shaneus said:

The only two influences it had on GT5 was getting licenses for cars that GT never had in their franchise, and that PD has decided to push it. If you look at previous E3s and Gran Turismo HD and Vision Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, you can tell that Kaz had a massive vision which included everything that GT5 currently has and it included alot more including Bikes and whatnot.

And yes, Damage was going to be included day one. You're the one being a fanboy here.

Loudninja

Shaneus said:

They included it because fans requested it.

Shaneus said:

Show me where they had some influence , if anything it's fans\media that made PD put in damage not Turn 10 .
Kaz always talk about damage saying he was going to put in if he could do right but in the end to much people\media were calling for it so he had no choice even if it not up to his stander.
For weather he was saying if could get it done he would once it effects the race and does not hurt performance to much.

Then there's allot of other stuff that fans never thought would be in GT 5 .
Who knows what else Kaz has in his head he already could not put everything he wanted in GT 5 .

Salacious Crumb

gundamkyoukai said:
Show me where they had some influence , if anything it's fans\media that made PD put in damage not Turn 10 .
Kaz always talk about damage saying he was going to put in if he could do right but in the end to much people were calling for it so he had no choice.
For weather he was saying if could get it done he would .
To be fair they always played up the car makers wont let us ruin their cars excuse. It wasn't until forza that people knew it was bullshit.

thcsquad

evolution said:
uhh yeah Kaz kas been talking about a damage even before Gt4 came out. You think forza was the game that made him want to implement damage?

GT4? GT2. GT2 had mechanical damage, and in this interview he talks about how fan feedback made him put it in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pemGjQRvV_M

The interview is also great for seeing the younger, chubbier, dorkier-looking Kaz being interpreted by a white guy. Before Translator-san made him into the suave, debonair fellow we know.

Neo 007

Shaneus said:

Call me ludicrous dude.

Forza having ANY influence on GT5? Yeah right....:lol

Tabz

Shaneus said:
:lol

Loudninja

gundamkyoukai said:

This pic?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QrVFjkRtZLg/RySmZvkAP7I/AAAAAAAAC0I/ecJVvbEClAQ/s1600/gt5+online.jpg

Salacious Crumb said:
To be fair they always played up the car makers wont let us ruin their cars excuse. It wasn't until forza that people knew it was bullshit.

He said car makers won't let them do certain things to the cars , over time things have gotten better but there still certain things you can't do .
Plus not all car makers are the same if i remember Bizarre Creations said they had to take out cars cause the maker would not allow them to damage it in certain way or they said fuck it.

Kaz wants every type of car\maker in GT , i also wish he said fuck off to car makers but that not going to happen.

Loudninja said:

Yep it was that pic along with what he said threw out the years.

KHarvey16

To suggest these games don't influence each other is pure fanboy delusion. I don't even know why someone wouldn't want this to be true, it means everyone gets better games.

Top Bottom