• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

mil6es

Amir0x said:
it's no longer a comparison thread anymore. Gran Turismo 5 in its current incarnation has swept all the competition away. it's really not even remotely close anymore.

The developers of Forza can hardly really be blamed for that, though. GT5 was in development for an infinity years and has the accumulated knowledge and support of over a decade of Gran Turismo goodness.

Forza is still a good series but you can't compete when Polyphony has a budget of a trillion dollars and as long a period of development as they like.

thats the rational way of looking at things but as you know most of the posts in this thread are not rational in the first place :lol

ULTROS! said:
I'm just wondering if Forza 4 will try to compete with GT5 (meaning add a shitload of stuff) or will simply go on their own and improve upon FM3.

I think the biggest thing stopping them now is storage, that had to use 2 DVD's this time and the content was about half GT4 was is terms of cars and tracks and so on, so I dont see how they are gonna solve that

If anything, I believe Forza 3 influenced GT5 by putting pressure on implementing more features. People seem to forget GT5 had planed release dates going back to 2009.
Not to mention Kaz saying he could launch the game anytime he wanted to.

segarr

This shit almost ain't fair. What company would allow someone to make a game with this much staff for this long other than Sony. Even MS must winch at the paysheet when looking at a project like this.

segarr said:
This shit almost ain't fair. What company would allow someone to make a game with this much staff for this long other than Sony. Even MS must winch at the paysheet when looking at a project like this.

It bears repeating: Turn10 have over double the staff numbers PD have.

Amir0x

Banned
travisbickle said:
Rational?

Hyperbole-for-effect, an extremely common device for making points! Derp derp!

The rational point that the device was making is "Polyphony was essentially given a blank check and as long a development period as they like, and there's no way the Forza devs can compete with that."

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
travisbickle said:
Rational?

Pretty sure Amir0x was using hyperbole.

GT5 was revealed last E3 2006 and later revealed that it costs $60m to develop.

segarr

LabouredSubterfuge said:
It bears repeating: Turn10 have over double the staff numbers PD have.
Really? Damn, I guess PD is just that good then. They have been making these games for almost 15 years now though so they have the experience.

KingDizzi

Banned
Amir0x said:
it's no longer a comparison thread anymore. Gran Turismo 5 in its current incarnation has swept all the competition away. it's really not even remotely close anymore.

The developers of Forza can hardly really be blamed for that, though. GT5 was in development for an infinity years and has the accumulated knowledge and support of over a decade of Gran Turismo goodness.

Forza is still a good series but you can't compete when Polyphony has a budget of a trillion dollars and as long a period of development as they like.

I have to agree, the gulf between franchises has become pretty big now. PD are given a tremendous budget and for GT5 they were given a really long time to develop. PD have put themselves in that position though, Yoshida could have been pushing Kaz to release GT5 last year but all he would need to do is point at GT5:p sales. That glorified demo has shipped near 5 million copies and 2 million for GT PSP on a platform with very weak software sales outside Japan. It must be mentioned however that Turn 10 have a fuck ton more employees than PD so unless Turn 10 employees are paid a rice-ball a day they must also be getting a more than decent budget.

sechsterangriff said:
If anything, I believe Forza 3 influenced GT5 by putting pressure on implementing more features. People seem to forget GT5 had planed release dates going back to 2009.

Bullshit, what is so amazing Turn 10 have done which made PD delay the game? Weather, night racing etc are the big additions into GT5 and Turn 10 have done nothing such. Livery editor is a big thing in Forza games but PD did not bother so yeah what pressure? Serious question.

Amir0x

Banned
KingDizzi said:
I have to agree, the gulf between franchises has become pretty big now. PD are given a tremendous budget and for GT5 they were given a really long time to develop. PD have put themselves in that position though, Yoshida could have been pushing Kaz to release GT5 last year but all he would need to do is point at GT5:p sales. That glorified demo has shipped near 5 million copies and 2 million for GT PSP on a platform with very weak software sales outside Japan. It must be mentioned however that Turn 10 have a fuck ton more employees than PD so unless Turn 10 employees are paid a rice-ball a day they must also be getting a more than decent budget.

oh i'm not saying Forza has a low development budget (actually, I think it must be a pretty decent sized budget), it's just in a different stratosphere from Gran Turismo 5's budget. Actually, almost every game is :lol

sechsterangriff said:

You seem to forget that most of the stuff added was rumoured way before that, by either amar or some random Sony guy that we thought he didn't know what he was talking about, or even small hints by Kaz, pretty much all of it turned out to be true so yeah... I'm pretty sure they were going to implement it no matter what.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Chinner or EmCeeGamr. Not quite sure which.
bish is the biggest winner of them all, duh.

Actually, all of us who aren't particular to any one side and watching from the sidelines are all winners. :lol

segarr

Metalmurphy said:
You seem to forget that most of the stuff added was rumoured way before that, by either amar or some random Sony guy that we thought he didn't know what he was talking about, or even small hints by Kaz, pretty much all of it turned out to be true so yeah... I'm pretty sure they were going to implement it no matter what.
I think the series director himself said he was influenced by Forza in some interview. You can't make games in a vacuum that would just be needlessly ignorant.

Ashes

Banned
Amir0x said:

The rational point that the device was making is "Polyphony was essentially given a blank check and as long a development period as they like, and there's no way the Forza devs can compete with that."

/yeah I think I agree with you. I do think they compete to a point. Turn 10 manges by outsourcing quite a bit of work, which Pd refuse to do for qualitative reasons. They also seem to have gotten licenses with Microsoft money that PD don't have, i.e porche.

Dev time and money is important, but on the levels that they directly compete, one developer carries the platform, in terms of quality, depth, breadth, and whatever other virtue you can throw at it.

Personality wise, I think its easier to prefer PD's more modest approach rather then Turn 10's exuberant self-confidence (or arrogance if you like), self acclaimed worthiness, and other such pr speak. It's one thing for Microsoft heads and Sony heads to to talk like that but I'm not a fan of when developers go like so about their business.

Salacious Crumb

I have to say, even though I contributed a bit to it, the talk about who influenced who and by how much is really bizarre. I don't think I've ever encountered it on gaf before, and I really don't know what it's meant to prove.

XiaNaphryz

Salacious Crumb said:
I have to say, even though I attributed a bit to it, the talk about who influenced who and by how much is really bizarre. I don't think I've ever encountered it on gaf before, and I really don't know what it's meant to prove.
That one side is superior to the other, duh. ;)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did Polyphony have any interviews regarding their opinion towards Turn 10 and the FM series?

I know Turn 10 did regarding Polyphony and it was... :lol

ULTROS! said:
Did Polyphony have any interviews regarding their opinion towards Turn 10 and the FM series?

I know Turn 10 did regarding Polyphony and it was... :lol

i don't think so.

all we have regarding polyphony and forza are che's lies:

Perhaps the most surprising to me was when a couple developers from Gran Turismo makers Polyphony Digital came by to personally get hands-on with Forza 3, all the while taking careful notes, examining our UI system, shooting photos, and directly asking us some pretty interesting questions. The reason I say I was personally surprised was because PD aren’t generally known as a studio to acknowledge that there are racing games that exist beyond their own. Which could explain why the GT franchise has been so stagnant in the racing genre since GT3. So it seems competition is good for the consumer after all. I know for a fact that Turn 10 will never stop pushing racing games to the next level."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/turn-10-polyphony-checked-out-forza

ULTROS!

Which could explain why the GT franchise has been so stagnant in the racing genre since GT3.

So much for stagnant. :lol

That's not a lie, they were genuinely taking notes

2z9e2cn.png

Amir0x

Banned
when someone makes a comment like that, it's kinda hard not to laugh at what actually ended up happening

i wonder if Turn 10 wishes che would shut the fuck up

ULTROS!

That kinda reminds me of the Forza vs. GT5 poll from CNET(?) and Turn 10 was advertising it and they were giving out a rare car if you've voted. Turns out that GT5 won the poll and some of their fans turned against them.

That was golden. :lol

Trickster

Amir0x said:
when someone makes a comment like that, it's kinda hard not to laugh at what actually ended up happening

Doesn't he work at 343 industries now?

agm2502

Amir0x said:

It wasn't just Che though it was Dan Greenawalt as well, saying how Forza 3 won't be surpassed visually and no one else can compare to how good there game is. The Forza devs brought all this ridicule on themselves for being extremely arrogant, much like Sony in 2005/2006, maybe the pr for there next game will be more humble. It will probably be more hyperbole over their Kinect integration and how no other sim lets you view your cars ike this etc.

Senua

Gold Member
i will admit that forza motorsport was probably better than GT4 but after the first forza everything went downhill

agm2502 said:
It wasn't just Che though it was Dan Greenawalt as well, saying how Forza 3 won't be surpassed visually and no one else can compare to how good there game is. The Forza devs brought all this ridicule on themselves for being extremely arrogant, much like Sony in 2005/2006, maybe the pr for there next game will be more humble. It will probably be more hyperbole over their Kinect integration and how no other sim lets you view your cars ike this etc.
it's like being arrogant is a new thing with microsoft. they've been acting like that way too much lately.

Guy Legend

Amir0x said:

Greenwalt was worse. The trash talk arrogance came from the top.

Which is why its more funny to see GT5 so far beyond Forza.

Suzzopher

Sony PR must be so glad that the game can stand up on it's without any trash talking. Turn 10 have been totally owned with not a word said:lol

segarr

Just to go on the flipside to counter the hate, T10 came an extremely long way in a relativity short period of time. The first Forza was 30fps for crissakes. Now they even have a cockpit view in when no one thought they could do that. Of course, that hyped themselves up a bit so they got a little cocky. It was E3 too and Sony is always talking shit at E3 so maybe MS thought they should as well.

Melfice7

segarr said:

MS is more concerned with spending millions on marketing, and PD 'only' has a staff of 140

yamauchi on forza 3

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091103/SEMA/911039983

Have you played Forza Motorsport 3?

I was watching the guys at our company trying it out in the office. I tried it a little bit. It's very similar in a lot of aspects to Gran Turismo, but some basic parts of the game are very different from Gran Turismo. It's a little bit different from a simulator and you can feel that when you drive it.

translation; forza is arcade slanted trash - and he's right.

segarr

Melfice7 said:
MS is more concerned with spending millions on marketing, and PD 'only' has a staff of 140
No, Sony markets too. "It Does Everything" They actually fund games and buy studios and exclusive DLC as well though whereas MS does not seem interested in that stuff anymore.

XiaNaphryz

Fender_Uk said:
i will admit that forza motorsport was probably better than GT4 but after the first forza everything went downhill
Wait, are you saying that Forza 2 and 3 were worse than the first one?

Wax Free Vanilla said:
translation; forza is arcade slanted trash - and he's right.
Plenty of diehard PC simheads thought otherwise, and they normally scoff at any console offering GT included.

Flavius

segarr said:
Just to go on the flipside to counter the hate, T10 came an extremely long way in a relativity short period of time. The first Forza was 30fps for crissakes. Now they even have a cockpit view in when no one thought they could do that. Of course, that hyped themselves up a bit so they got a little cocky. It was E3 too and Sony is always talking shit at E3 so maybe MS thought they should as well.

Helps when you're borrowing tech from a better dev team aka Bizarre Creations. ;)

Oh Turn10...you so crazy.

Sony wins here. Give both developers 6 fucking years and we probably see similar visual results.

I've not really played a Forza game, but i've been waitin on GT5 for a long time. Glad the wait will end soon. But comparing these games at this point seems almost disingenuous. Twice the development cycle SHOULD mean some tangible benefits. A 5 year-old understands that.

spwolf

Amir0x said:

well reason they were given blank check is because their games sell like crazy :).

Any other developer which such successful franchise would also get same amount of funding from competent publisher.

Top Bottom