• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lagspike_exe said:
Diehard PC simheads know the best!
That's what's missing from this thread - we need the master race in here to join in on the shenanigans with their multi-thousand dollar cockpit setups as they prep for their local track day in their M5s with whatever fancy sim of the month they're currently into.

segarr

Is Forza 3 really arcade trash? I don't play sims but I was under the impression this thread was about graphics. Do GT cars still ping pong around corners or have they one-upped T10 in the racing department as well? "Racing" is an interesting word I used btw because I've seen talk that GT isn't really racing, it's A.I. cars sticking to a line around the track whereas Forza actually will race with you. Is this correct?

Edit: I'm out of date with these fanboy wars because I generally stopped caring a couple years ago.

KHarvey16

Lagspike_exe said:
Diehard PC simheads know the best!

Of all the things to over criticize, the driving model might be the riskiest. It's obvious the person isn't being serious when they do it unless they're extremely good at it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Amir0x said:
i wonder if Turn 10 wishes che would shut the fuck up

Considering he left, I think Turn10 doesn't give a shit.

However, I think the rest of the world wishes Che would shut the fuck up and go hide in a hole for the rest of his life

That said: Since Che's gone I'm actually giving Turn10 the time of day, provided they don't ram their head up their ass again with the "DURR HURR FORZA IS THE BESTEST!" smug-shit-eating-grin bullshit they did during Forza 3 which turned me off it.

XiaNaphryz said:
Wait, are you saying that Forza 2 and 3 were worse than the first one?

If he is, I'd agree
. Driving Physics in 2 were like driving on ice cubes and 3 was close to 1, but not exactly "right."

Like I said before, 1's physics for the time were insane. Driving point to point races was like actually driving the car. I'm not sure if getting an X-box wheel would make it 20x better, but it had the best physics on a controller I've played on a "sim"/racer yet.

Maybe it was the X-box controller, though. *shrug*

agm2502

Dreams-Visions said:
Sony wins here. Give both developers 6 fucking years and we probably see similar visual results.

I've not really played a Forza game, but i've been waitin on GT5 for a long time. Glad the wait will end soon. But comparing these games at this point seems almost disingenuous. Twice the development cycle SHOULD mean some tangible benefits. A 5 year-old understands that.

But the Forza devs thought it was ok to compare itself with GT games etc. You can't expect people to stop comparing now. Why didn't the Forza devs say that they didn't have enough time to implement weather etc and it will come in the future, the GT Devs don't have a problem saying that they didn;t have time for stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
agm2502 said:
But the Forza devs thought it was ok to compare itself with GT games etc. You can't expect people to stop comparing now. Why didn't the Forza devs say that they didn't have enough time to implement weather etc and it will come in the future, the GT Devs don't have a problem saying that they didn;t have time for stuff.

I mean I agree, they asked for it...

...but I mean, at this point, the thread serves little purpose. We KNOW the answer now.

segarr said:
Is Forza 3 really arcade trash. I don't play sims but I was under the impression this thread was about graphics. Do GT cars still ping pong around corners or have they one-upped T10 in the racing department as well? "Racing" is an interesting word I used btw because I've seen talk that GT isn't really racing, it's A.I. cars sticking to a line around the track whereas Forza actually will race with you. Is this correct.

Have you ever watched racing? Because there's a reason why cars stick to a racing line by-and-large. The fact that in Forza the cars are scattered across the road, jostling side-by-side is not exactly evidence of its racing credentials. At least that's what I've experienced of it. Maybe someone can correct me.

Trickster

Amir0x said:
I mean I agree, they asked for it...

...but I mean, at this point, the thread serves little purpose. We KNOW the answer now.

True, but this topic was created over a year ago when we thought both games were gonna release close to each other.

XiaNaphryz said:
Plenty of diehard PC simheads thought otherwise, and they normally scoff at any console offering GT included.
This diehard PC "simhead" thinks Forza is all sorts of Arcade. I'm a huge GT fan because GT is what got me into racing sims when I was young (that, and the "GT charm" can't be recreated anywhere else). I played GT1 and GT2, and then I discovered the plethora of sims coming out. I went to GPL and basically progressed through there.

If you're trying to quote Inside Sim Racing, they even admit, they scored Forza 3 way too high, and there are a lot of physics quirks.

segarr

The main thing right now is that T10 had the AUDACITY to say Forza 3 is good; better than GT even, at E3. Is such scorn of them really justified because of that? Typical marketing posturing common at press events? If so, get over it.

Amir0x

Banned
Trickster said:
True, but this topic was created over a year ago when we thought both games were gonna release close to each other.

exactly!

I don't mind or anything I just find it amusing that there's anything left to compare at all. It's so far beyond Forza 3 at this point that it's almost sad whenever they are compared :lol

Flavius

Trickster said:

Wait, you mean people really thought Yamauchi would do that??? :p

Melfice7

segarr said:
Is Forza 3 really arcade trash? I don't play sims but I was under the impression this thread was about graphics. Do GT cars still ping pong around corners or have they one-upped T10 in the racing department as well? "Racing" is an interesting word I used btw because I've seen talk that GT isn't really racing, it's A.I. cars sticking to a line around the track whereas Forza actually will race with you. Is this correct?

Edit: I'm out of date with these fanboy wars because I generally stopped caring a couple years ago.

Sheep_eating.gif

Trickster said:
1 year is still relatively close. Especially if you consider the fact Forza (and even GT fans) compared FM3 to GT5p, which is 2 years older than FM3.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
segarr said:
What if T10 revealed Forza 4 tomorrow and it blew away GT5? That would be epic.

What if Polyphony revealed GT6 the day after tomorrow and it blew away FM4? That would be epic.

spwolf said:
well reason they were given blank check is because their games sell like crazy :).

Any other developer which such successful franchise would also get same amount of funding from competent publisher.
Nah, it seems to me Sony takes risks in a way MS doesnt.For example, MS would never have done what Sony did for GG after KZ1, MS would have packed up, then fucked off

Flavius

segarr said:
The main thing right now is that T10 had the AUDACITY to say Forza 3 is good; better than GT even, at E3. Is such scorn of them really justified because of that? Typical marketing posturing common at press events? If so, get over it.

No, it isn't typical marketing puffery. In fact, as a working professional, I find it to be a particularly sleazy, disrespectful tactic.

And as you can see here (and elsewhere), this shit can absolutely backfire on you. They'd have been far better off letting the product speak for itself.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
theignoramus said:
Nah, it seems to me Sony takes risks in a way MS doesnt.For example, MS would never have done what Sony did for GG after KZ1, MS would have packed up, then fucked off
EXPLAIN BLOODWAKE THEN, FANBOY

TheSeks

segarr said:
What if T10 revealed Forza 4 tomorrow and it blew away GT5? That would be epic.

Too bad that won't happen as they're busy letting you "OOO-AHHH" your car with a $150 add-on
and I don't mean a driving wheel

Trickster

phosphor112 said:
1 year is still relatively close. Especially if you consider the fact Forza (and even GT fans) compared FM3 to GT5p, which is 2 years older than FM3.

FM3 was made in around 17 months. A year is a long time.

TheSeks said:
Too bad that won't happen as they're busy letting you "OOO-AHHH" your car with a $150 add-on
and I don't mean a driving wheel

For some reason I have a hard time believing that the entirety of the T10 studio is spending their time making what looks like a kinect application for FM3.

Salacious Crumb

theignoramus said:

I think Rare might have left a bad taste in their mouth.

anadwin

Neo Member
T10's arrogance has been well documented, but didn't Garnett Lee make a ridiculous comment about the GT series becoming irrelevant after F3 was released?

TheSeks

Trickster said:
For some reason I have a hard time believing that the entirety of the T10 studio is spending their time making what looks like a kinect application for FM3.

Considering that was all they did (showed off the Kinnect applications) at E3, it's doubtful. It's MS after all, the people that dictate what Rare should do ("NO YOU CAN'T MAKE A PLATFORMER. MAKE US A KITTY PETTING APPLICATION FOR OUR ADD-ON!"), they can dictate Turn10 to put resources into making Kinnect applications look good and worthwhile.

That isn't to say that I'm not hoping they aren't improving on FM3 and getting the physics/other features right, but who knows at this point of the game. Doubtful FM4 will blow "GT5 away" but it's good to have competition for it.

Baha

anadwin said:
T10's arrogance has been well documented, but didn't Garnett Lee make a ridiculous comment about the GT series becoming irrelevant after F3 was released?

Yeah he makes those from time to time, but at least he can admit when he's wrong.

segarr

Flavius said:
No worries, PGR4 had weather...ergo Forza 4 will have weather.
T10 did take a lot of stuff from that series. Hell, they practically built their franchise off of it from what I can tell. Now that Activision owns Bizarre and they're just wasting away, (they'll be dead after their Bond game bombs, Blur already did), what will T10 do? MS should have bought Bizarre. You know Sony would have if they made a game for them and MS probably would have done it in the past but they got cheap all of a sudden. Fire Ballmer.

TheFatOne

anadwin said:

I don't think it was Garnett. I believe it was Patrick Klepek.

anadwin said:

He claimed GT5 was gonna be HUGE on the Bonus Round, so I don't think it was him.

cgcg

Trickster said:

No wonder it looked like Forza 2.

Truespeed

Amir0x said:
when someone makes a comment like that, it's kinda hard not to laugh at what actually ended up happening

i wonder if Turn 10 wishes che would shut the fuck up

I think they would rather muzzle Greenwalt. Didn't this guy say he didn't want to slap around Kaz?

Flavius

segarr said:
T10 did take a lot of stuff from that series. Hell, they practically built their franchise off of it from what I can tell. Now that Activision owns Bizarre and they're just wasting away, (they'll be dead after their Bond game bombs, Blur already did), what will T10 do? MS should have bought Bizarre. You know Sony would have if they made a game for them and MS probably would have done it in the past but they got cheap all of a sudden. Fire Ballmer.

Actually, I believe (really, really hope) BC finds their niche over there. They're fantastic developers, and their contribution to the success of the Xbox always seems downplayed in comparison to the juggernaut that is Halo.

That said...yep, yep. Let's see: we all know BC and Turn10 were "sharing" assets and tech back in the day. If you played both regularly, you know who got what. Did PGR4 play or look vastly different from its predecessors?

Hmm...

Wazzim

Banned
spwolf said:
well reason they were given blank check is because their games sell like crazy :).

Any other developer which such successful franchise would also get same amount of funding from competent publisher.
Well I don't know, even the first one had a 5/6 year development cycle (with 0 copies sold) according to Kaz.

Truespeed

Xun said:
I think it's a bit unfair to compare the 2 systems, they're both very different internally.

Both can produce amazing visuals.

The reason U2 looked so fucking good and had such a short dev-time was because the engine was largely untouched from the previous game.

I'm really not too sure about that. That's like saying the difference between UC and UC2 were just the assets. The evolution of the UC engine is just as drastic as the difference between UC and UC2. The mere fact that they're triple buffering and have moved a lot more of their systems to the Cell should tell you that the engine was overhauled in accordance to the demands placed on it.

DuckRacer

Trickster said:
29 months actually, unless they didn't start FM3's development until a full year passed after FM2's release. :p

edit: Bizarre will be working on map packs for Sledgehammer's 2011 Call of Duty, bet on it. Activision bought the studio because they wanted a premiere racing franchise to go against Need for Speed, and we all know how that ended...

Gek54

Truespeed said:
I think they would rather muzzle Greenwalt. Didn't this guy say he didn't want to slap around Kaz?

Didnt all this start after Forza 2? I thought I remember Turn10 having a respectable amount of modesty before they started Don Kinging Forza 3.

Flavius

DuckRacer said:
29 months actually, unless they didn't start FM3's development until a full year passed after FM2's release. :p

edit: Bizarre will be working on map packs for Sledgehammer's 2011 Call of Duty, bet on it. Activision bought the studio because they wanted a premiere racing franchise to go against Need for Speed, and we all know how that ended...

Am I going to hell for thinking a Call of Duty-themed racer might be kinda' cool? :p

Top Bottom