• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

I think it's kind of unfair to PD to dismiss what they've done as just the results of time and money, especially when we don't know the budgets of Forza or GT5 to compare. I think a lot of it's down to the creative drive or ambition that Kaz and the team have. When you look at Greenawalt's comments it really doesn't seem like it occurs to him that PD would add all these features to their game even with all the time they have.

Melfice7 said:
Sheep_eating.gif
:lol :lol
I think this is my new favourite gif.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
electroshockwave said:
especially when we don't know the budgets of Forza or GT5 to compare.
You can roughly compare them from game credits and how long it's been in development - take average salaries for each dev team members times the number of years, and that would be a good majority of the development budget. Staff salary always makes the bulk of it.

amar212

DuckRacer said:
Activision bought the studio because they wanted a premiere racing franchise to go against Need for Speed, and we all know how that ended...

I think their fall started in late 2008 when Activision decided not to go for F1 licence because of ridiculous money Bernie wanted for licence-per-yer (more than 15 million $, and contract for 3 consecutive years).

I am 100% sure Activision bought Bizzare in order to make multiplatform F1 game, but all went down the drain after they couldn't negotiate the price with FOMA.

Codemasters jumped in, grabbed the licence in front of Activison and EA (EA also didn't want to pay for it, although they also wanted it back and had SlightlyMad Studios ready fot the work) and now they're in the problem.

XiaNaphryz said:
You can roughly compare them from game credits and how long it's been in development - take average salaries for each dev team members times the number of years, and that would be a good majority of the development budget. Staff salary always makes the bulk of it.

In games like Forza o GT, the big part of the budget are licenses, more than salaries.

And don't forget that Forza 3 was a second iteration in the generation. Making it cheaper because of the already built engine from Forza 2.

So, in order to compare the "dev time", maybe we should focus in the time from GT5 Prologue to GT5.

Trickster

cgcg said:
No wonder it looked like Forza 2.

I guess that's one way to prove you haven't played the game :lol

DuckRacer said:
29 months actually, unless they didn't start FM3's development until a full year passed after FM2's release. :p

Oh yeah, my bad, calculated it incorrectly :p

DangerousDave said:
And don't forget that Forza 3 was a second iteration in the generation. Making it cheaper because of the already built engine from Forza 2.

Pretty sure they made a new engine for FM3.

AndyD

aka andydumi
PjotrStroganov said:
Post full size pics please. Really, they don't prove anything at that size.
Its been done earlier in the thread. The point is not that F3 looks bad, only that F3 has refined models from F2 which in game look virtually identical.

Making the whole short dev cycle arguments worthless. Both games built upon previous games experiences and development. Neither was built from scratch after the previous iteration. Improvements were made to graphics, physics and so forth, but neither studio scrapped everything.

Are saying those images are not real?

J-Rzez

Amir0x said:
haha i never saw that

what was his response!?

Or did bish ban him then? :lol

Banned immediately if I remember. :lol

That was hilarious though. Worst part was it was actually written up like a post from an "entry level gaming forum".

"Bill Gates it is!". Oh Che, or, Dan...

DuckRacer said:
edit: Bizarre will be working on map packs for Sledgehammer's 2011 Call of Duty, bet on it. Activision bought the studio because they wanted a premiere racing franchise to go against Need for Speed, and we all know how that ended...

probably.

activision got another uk dev to make them their next racing game.

logo.png

AndyD said:
Its been done earlier in the thread. The point is not that F3 looks bad, only that F3 has refined models from F2 which in game look virtually identical.

Making the whole short dev cycle arguments worthless. Both games built upon previous games experiences and development. Neither was built from scratch after the previous iteration. Improvements were made to graphics, physics and so forth, but neither studio scrapped everything.

Are saying those images are not real?

I'm saying that at that size most current gen cars look the same. The pics just are too small to point out differences. I know many in-race models in F3 are nothing more than refined versions of F2 but that pic doesn't prove it.

I don't exactly know what you mean by the short dev cycle argument. But it seems that only a small increase of detail is because of a short dev cycle. GT5's standard cars dont's change anything about this argument because, if we go by KY, the 200+ cars took quite some time to model from scratch.

Zen

Banned
electroshockwave said:
I think it's kind of unfair to PD to dismiss what they've done as just the results of time and money, especially when we don't know the budgets of Forza or GT5 to compare. I think a lot of it's down to the creative drive or ambition that Kaz and the team have. When you look at Greenawalt's comments it really doesn't seem like it occurs to him that PD would add all these features to their game even with all the time they have.

What comments has he made?

Metalmurphy said:
You seem to forget that most of the stuff added was rumoured way before that, by either amar or some random Sony guy that we thought he didn't know what he was talking about, or even small hints by Kaz, pretty much all of it turned out to be true so yeah... I'm pretty sure they were going to implement it no matter what.

Being rumored, hinted or even in de facto development doesn't necessary mean implementation on the final release. Take GT4's online mode for example.

What is certain is that the GT5 suffered some delays after Forza 3 release. If these were going to happen regardless, one can only speculate. But one can also speculate that maybe at that time at the eyes of PD they were more comparable (even if GT5 already had the edge) and PD felt the need to extend development.
That the kind of "pressure" I was talking about. Sure it's speculation, but plausible.

malsumis

sechsterangriff said:
Being rumored, hinted or even in de facto development doesn't necessary mean implementation on the final release. Take GT4's online mode for example.

What is certain is that the game suffered some delays after Forza 3 release. If these were going to happen regardless, one can only speculate. But one can also speculate that maybe at that time at the eyes of PD they were more comparable (even if GT5 already had the edge) and PD felt the need to extend development.
That the kind of "pressure" I was talking about. Sure it's speculation, but plausible.
It's not like every single GT game was delayed... except maybe for "1".

spwolf

sechsterangriff said:

What is certain is that the game suffered some delays after Forza 3 release. If these were going to happen regardless, one can only speculate. But one can also speculate that maybe at that time at the eyes of PD they were more comparable (even if GT5 already had the edge) and PD felt the need to extend development.

:lol

JWong

Banned
segarr said:
The main thing right now is that T10 had the AUDACITY to say Forza 3 is good; better than GT even, at E3. Is such scorn of them really justified because of that? Typical marketing posturing common at press events? If so, get over it.
Professional game developers never attack their peers. It's not typical and way out of line.

AndyD

aka andydumi
PjotrStroganov said:
I don't exactly know what you mean by the short dev cycle argument. But it seems that only a small increase of detail is because of a short dev cycle. GT5's standard cars dont's change anything about this argument because, if we go by KY, the 200+ cars took quite some time to model from scratch.

I was alluding to those saying F3 was made entirely in the time after F2 and GT5 was made entirely in the time after GT4 and PD did nothing else. Its a stupid argument from so many angles that it needs to be dropped.

"That said," he continued, "I feel that he's passed us the baton. Perhaps he hasn't meant to, but we have taken the genre to new levels and they've stopped evolving the genre. So again, tremendous respect to him, but I'd say the differentiator is they're old school." He conclued, "The emperor's naked, and I don't want to, you know, I don't want to slap him around, but no game competes with us right now."

I play a lot of racing games, including PC racing games and I have not seen anything that is even within years of what we’re delivering here.

And there's more. Including one of his saying there is nothing he would add to Forza beyond small things. Its the pinnacle of the genre.

Gek54 said:
Didnt all this start after Forza 2? I thought I remember Turn10 having a respectable amount of modesty before they started Don Kinging Forza 3.
They were not obnoxious at all about FM2. They smack talked with the last one as a way to get everyone talking. should have let the features do the talking FM3 is a fine game with or without PR mouthbreathers.

AndyD said:
I was alluding to those saying F3 was made entirely in the time after F2 and GT5 was made entirely in the time after GT4 and PD did nothing else. Its a stupid argument from so many angles that it needs to be dropped.

And there's more. Including one of his saying there is nothing he would add to Forza beyond small things. Its the pinnacle of the genre.

Oh now I remember. Remarkable feat of grandstanding yes.

Niks

Now that its finally settled that GT5 >>>> Forza3, it will be interesting to see how MS and Turn10 handle things for Forza4 on the next gen xbox...

I mean, GT5 took 5 years to make, and was made from the ground up. For turn10 to compete they must do the same in a shorter amount of time, especially considering its very probable GT6 is not going to take as long to produce as GT5 did.

spwolf

Niks said:
Now that its finally settled that GT5 >>>> Forza3, it will be interesting to see how MS and Turn10 handle things for Forza4 on the next gen xbox...

I mean, GT5 took 5 years to make, and was made from the ground up. For turn10 to compete they must do the same in a shorter amount of time, especially considering its very probable GT6 is not going to take as long to produce as GT5 did.

why would they need to do it from grounds up? They dont...

StuBurns

Banned
I maybe wrong, and I know development tools do get better and allow for more efficiency, but it's probably not ever going to be cost effective to significantly improve the car models beyond the state they are in GT5. Better performance, IQ, lighting, shadowing etc will make them look better of course, but I can't imagine PD ever notably stepping up the polycount on models or anything going forward. No doubt they will scrape certain aspects, but I imagine pretty much all the premium models in GT5 will be in the GTs going forward for a very long time. FZs cars don't look quite so good, but I imagine they're in a similar boat in that regard.

Flavius

spwolf said:
why would they need to do it from grounds up? They dont...

They don't, and likely won't. But the fact remains that Forza's been compared to a title from late 2004. Folks at Turn10, fans, etc. can treat it as a rivalry all they wish, but clearly, PD doesn't see it this way, and once the game releases, few are going to treat that premise seriously until a rebuilt-from-the-ground-up and/or next gen successor to Forza appears.

evolution

StuBurns said:
I maybe wrong, and I know development tools do get better and allow for more efficiency, but it's probably not ever going to be cost effective to significantly improve the car models beyond the state they are in GT5. Better performance, IQ, lighting, shadowing etc will make them look better of course, but I can't imagine PD ever notably stepping up the polycount on models or anything going forward. No doubt they will scrape certain aspects, but I imagine pretty much all the premium models in GT5 will be in the GTs going forward for a very long time. FZs cars don't look quite so good, but I imagine they're in a similar boat in that regard.
Yes, this is what i hope they do. Even on the PS4. Use that extra power to add more cars on the track, improve the damage modeling and improve IQ.

Senua

Gold Member
PjotrStroganov said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ktEr7a41E&feature=channel

Damn, iracing does have nice lighting though. If it weren't for realtime day/night cycle in GT5, iRacing would have a small edge when it comes to giving the player a realistic atmosphere.

now that F3 is not a worthy adversary anymore, we have to pick another to duke it out with GT5 right?:p
PC sims since GTR2 dont seem to put much emphasis on graphics, its all about super realistic physics. iracings are good but not comparable to GT5 and most arcade racers

Trickster

evolution said:
Yes, this is what i hope they do. Even on the PS4. Use that extra power to add more cars on the track, improve the damage modeling and improve IQ.

32 cars, 1080p, 4AA and 16AF would be quite spectacular.

Truespeed

Zen said:

Pick your favorite.

"Forza 3 delivers the thrills that our competition can't"

"Forza 3 is the best looking racing game on any console, and the biggest racing game of this generation"

“We're shipping the definitive racing game of this generation”

"So, props to Kazunori Yamauchi-san and the team. I feel that he's passed us the baton. Perhaps he hasn't meant to, but we have taken the genre to new levels and they've stopped evolving the genre. So again, tremendous respect to him, but I'd say the differentiator is they're old school. The emperor's naked, and I don't want to, you know, I don't want to slap him around, but no game competes with us right now."

ULTROS! said:
I'm just wondering if Forza 4 will try to compete with GT5 (meaning add a shitload of stuff) or will simply go on their own and improve upon FM3.
They'll just 'improve', like they did with Forza 1->2->3. Some new features and details here and there, probably some weather, but nothing surprising or shocking. But to be honest, I don't really care, as long as they don't improve the maximum amount of cars on track.

TheSeks said:
That said: Since Che's gone I'm actually giving Turn10 the time of day, provided they don't ram their head up their ass again with the "DURR HURR FORZA IS THE BESTEST!" smug-shit-eating-grin bullshit they did during Forza 3 which turned me off it.
Yeah, E3 11 will be very interesting. I hope the game journalists will do their best at the interviews with the T10 staff.

Metalmurphy said:
Pretty sure Forza 4 will have weather. We'll just have to see how good it'll be.
I'm sure we already saw some concepts few months ago, when they had some people from Jalopnik in the studio.

theignoramus said:
Nah, it seems to me Sony takes risks in a way MS doesnt.For example, MS would never have done what Sony did for GG after KZ1, MS would have packed up, then fucked off
God, this is so true, it makes me sad. Media Molecule says 'Hi'.

Trickster said:
Pretty sure they made a new engine for FM3.
That's what they claim, yes, but somehow I have a hard time believing them. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
I guess there is a chance he was asked to speak in that manner from PR/marketing etc, but they certainly read like the words of a cunt.

Maybe it's naive to hope the best developers would at least be humble to the people that came before them. Turn10 cloned GT, if they did it better or not is irrelevant to the fact that they should treat PD with the utmost respect.

It'd be like Bungie ripping on id or something. Even if Bungie makes the superior games (and I absolutely believe they do, by a long stretch) they could not have done it without the work id did to establish the form of the genre and 3D gaming in general.

amar212

Well, to be honest, it will be very intresting to see the direction in which Forza series will go.

There is no other way to describe the sales of FM3 than modest. AAA title, that is pinnacle of genre on one platform, with crazy marketing and millions payed for licenses, development and such, and with more than 35 million consoles on market at release time should have sold better than actual numbers of FM3.

Also, when you look at online at this point, there is less than 2000 people at weekends-peak racing in Public Lobbies. That is a shame for such a monumentaly-funded franchise just 10 months after release.

Also, they will have serious problems with catching up Polyphony at this point in too many fields. Even if we presume they can make weather and changeable day/night (they have Bizzare's tech ready at rigs), probem actualy lies in something else - in-game structure and features.

From what we have seen, GT5 will bring drastical in-game structure, new way of execution of carrer, fully licenced career-events, deep and hard-core orientedd online (Track Days and My Lounge section at first), expanded B-Spec mode with Gran Turismo Anywhere function, create&play philosophy through Course Maker and upgraded ownership-philosophy aproach that no other game has yet come even close.

And all of those options/features in-game structure-wise have clearly been made as new foundation, in order to being expanded in the next game (GT6 will obviusly come on PS3 in next 2-3 years). So, everything that GT5 is lacking will probably be executioned oin GT6, in the similar way GT4 delivered 3X more content features than GT3 for example. Having foundations like those just shows what monumental work have they done in previous years, managing the frame they can now expand flawlessly for probably almost a decade. When I see GT5, I see GT6. I see all cars being Premium, I see weather/time of day on every track, I see revamped 3D support (when even more people will actually have 3D sets), expanded Course Maker feature, expanded GT Anywhere feature, expanded online and community features and futher improvements in all fields we probably do not think about. They have knowledge, tech, money and crazy amount of ideas to do it.

I really do not know what T10 - or any other developer/franchise to be honest - have in their sleeves to compete with such a overall-bahamuth as GT5 undoubtfully is.

This way or another, I was very intrigued by the fact Microsoft didn't show us new Project Gotham at this year E3, and in November we will be less than 6 months to E3 2011. All eyes will be at MS and T10 to show their answer at GT5 and it will be very intresting to see what have they done.

spats said:
I can't believe they would actually go through with that. It looked absolutely idiotic.

Not to mention they're attempting to capture completely different demography than the one Forza originally aimed for.

StuBurns

Banned
spats said:
I can't believe they would actually go through with that. It looked absolutely idiotic.
I doubt they are given much of a choice. It's MS's call I'd imagine, and based on their Kinect line-up, idiotic is not an issue for them.

Top Bottom