• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

user_nat said:
60FPS PGR would be so amazing. It already is amazing though..

PGR already feels great at 30fps thanks to its responsiveness and and the godly motion blur. They should put in more detail rather than try to get it running at 60fps imo.

-viper- said:
I'd take the Porsche 911 GT2. I'll admit that looks excellent.

Is there a RUF equivalent to a 911 GT2?

afaik no. The RT12-S is a beast though. Not having it in the game is a bummer for me. "Standard" RT12 was amazing in PGR4. Guess Sony does not have the rights to use it.

-viper-

Banned
schennmu said:
afaik no. The RT12-S is a beast though. Not having it in the game is a bummer for me. "Standard" RT12 was amazing in PGR4. Guess Sony does not have the rights to use it.
Yeah it would be nice for them to release that car as DLC.

Me on the day Microsoft reveals PGR5 in 60fps/1080p/4xAA for the next-box as a launch title...
crysingindianjbzo.gif

playingreachm6dl.gif

mil6es

Ashes1396 said:
without bizzare creations at the helm....?

this, even if T10 are doing it, I dont trust them to make an improvement the might do the old
Forza 1 < Forza 2 > Forza 3

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's either make PGR5 for MS or lose their jobs - their choice.

Cant their Activision's bitch now

mil6es said:
Cant their Activision's bitch now
Microsoft pulls timed exclusive deals all the time they have the $$$, GTA 4's DLC, COD DLC coming early, and a couple more.

I can bet they can $$$ Activision enough to get Bizarre Creations back for at least one permanent-exclusive game, if this current gen's installments/jump in quality from PGR3-to-4 are any indication of Bizarre's development quality then it'd be a Grade A investment for both parties considering next gen hardware's estimated possibilities.

Ashes1396 said:
I'm struggling to follow this... care to explain...?

Activision has them on 90 day notice after 007 bombed hard, and Microsoft are rumored to be interested in a buyout. Microsoft are also interested in resurrecting PGR, so put 2 and 2 together and hopefully we have 4.

Ploid 3.0

jett said:
That Porsche with the painted on taillights is nice...

Triumph-the-Insult-Comic-Dog.jpg

It's funny that I understand what that picture says. I can even hear him saying it in his voice. Wish Conan didn't lose this character.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Makes a lot of sense that they don't allow standard cars in photo travel mode. I guess the juxtaposition of quality might make people's heads explode.

So I guess GT5 really only has 200 some odd cars then since standard cars seem like they're discouraged from use (used car dealership?). Too bad since there are some really impactful cars that are standard and it would have been nice to see their interiors.

So do standard cars have a hood cam for gameplay?

And for the record, I don't think I can avoid using standard cars in photomode (replay). I doubt they made the B5 S4 avant as a premium and I really want some pics of my ride on the 'ring. :D

Ploid 3.0

I sure will be using any and every car I come across. Sux to be you.

Edit: Especially I'm sure my actual car is a standard in this game, my sister's, and brother's too. Wonder if Infinity is in it hah.

I wonder ifone of the special events require a standard car. Also since people are enjoying the events so much I wonder if PD will add more, or if you can just make some yourself.

weekend_warrior said:
Trade offs.

You have Porsche, we have F1.
You have rewind, we have day/night cycles, dirt/snow tracks, real time weather, track creater and go-karts.

They played their game over a year ago, you'll get to play yours tomorrow.

Trade offs. ;)

Seriously, GT5 looks amazing and those weather effects are especially gorgeous. That said, you can achieve some nice bullshottery with the good ole Forza as well:

Most of these were done by other Gaffers (I believe some were additionally touched up), and there's plenty more in the Forza 3 OT.

Hopefully Turn 10 significantly improves in-game lighting and shaders next time around, GT5 really outclasses Forza in those areas. As for the photo mode, it makes no sense improving it any further until they ditch the poorly compressed JPEG images as the only way of screenshot exporting.

Iknos

m0dus said:
While comparisons will still be made, I don't think belaboring the lack of parity between sims that are now a full dev cycle apart really gets the old vitriol going like it used to.

Found out recently that the dev cycle for Forza 3 was less than a year and a half.

Considering that...you can't really compared dev cycles.

Dreams-Visions said:
Forza needs to take some time out to figure out how they can better their lighting engine. GT's is ridiculously better. the rest is kinda even, IMO.

There is the superior GT lighting engine but PD has better artists too.

At the same time processing power has a lot to do with this and T10 seems to put more emphasis on physics calculations whereas PD has a history of approximating calculations to save horsepower for the graphics. I figured GT5 would have changed that but the lack of drivetrain swaps has me concerned somewhat.

I was hoping for a physics comparison get on it people!

h3ro

bishoptl said:
Man, I need to get a new 360, PGR4 is bee-yoo-tiful.

I got it for $5 three years ago. To this day, my favorite racing game this gen. Burnout Paradise and F3 tied for second. Maybe you could grab one of the 4GB Slim units during all the sales coming up this week. (I believe you're in Canada, right? Do the deals apply there as well?)

One more day until GT5. :D

Shaneus

h3ro said:
I got it for $5 three years ago. To this day, my favorite racing game this gen. Burnout Paradise and F3 tied for second. Maybe you could grab one of the 4GB Slim units during all the sales coming up this week. (I believe you're in Canada, right? Do the deals apply there as well?)

Oh, this. Photomode still looks good too... no idea if the PGR4 site is still up.

IMO it still has the most fun driving model in any game ever... doubt that GT5 will change my mind on that. Quebec is just too enjoyable.

h3ro said:

Doesn't even approach PGR2s awesomeness, therefore you can't help but be a bit disappointed with the game. Than again, I would only put 1 or two games up there with PGR2. Jesus Christ PGR2 was amazing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
weekend_warrior said:
P9ePR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T5g6z.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Sorry for large quote, but this is pure trolling. Way to compare off-screen vs. direct feed too. GT5 does look better than Forza 3, but don't post bullshit ass comparisons like this. If you have played Forza, you'd know the in-car view is not like this, and this isn't even close to representative of the game. The headlight comparison is much better though.

The fact that this thread has been bumped saddens me though. Reminders of a new PGR sadden me even more, unless Microsoft/Bizarre get their stuff together :(

adelante

jockamo said:
When PD say it's premium it most definitely is.
That GTP shot is goddamn amazing. The fact remains though, that if you want to take a shot of a beemer or ANY other vehicle that close in F3 you can do it in photomode which loads in a more detailed model. The same can't be said for GT5

plainr_

adelante said:
That GTP shot is goddamn amazing. The fact remains though, that if you want to take a shot of a beemer or ANY other vehicle that close in F3 you can do it in photomode which loads in a more detailed model. The same can't be said for GT5

That is photomode though and it looks infinitely horrible compared to GT5's offscreen shot of the bimmer in realtime replay.

When you say "the same can't be said for GT5" I assume you mean for standard cars? If so yes zooming in on them will be horrid. Premium models on the other hand is on a whole different league.

jockamo said:
That is photomode though and it looks infinitely horrible compared to GT5's offscreen shot of the bimmer in realtime replay.

When you say "the same can't be said for GT5" I assume you mean for standard cars? If so yes zooming in on them will be horrid. Premium models on the other hand is on a whole different league.
Is it really? I've seen nicer headlights than that from FM3's photomode models.

adelante

jockamo said:

Yeah of course I meant standard cars.

If I recall correctly, even F3's photomode has LOD management so the only model that's highly detailed is the player's car (perhaps someone can correct me on this). All I'm saying is if you want to take those types of shots, its definitely possible with ANY car in F3.

skyfinch

Lion Heart said:
Those shots honestly look near GT standard models.

You need to get your eyes checked. I've created car models in Maya and the ones in Forza are well beyond GT5's standard models.

It's the shaders and lighting in Forza that are bad.

Yoboman

skyfinch said:
You need to get your eyes checked. I've created car models in Maya and the ones in Forza are well beyond GT5's standard models.

Shaders are part of the model

alba

Little is the new Big
skyfinch said:

Forza has a lot of modelling inconsistencies in their models though.

m0dus

Banned
Yoboman said:
I don't see how (the top ingame one) is any better than a GT5 standard model, maybe better than the worst one

The model quality is definitely there - representative shots are hard due to the horrid compression of photo mode shots. People have found ways around it by stitching them together, though.

These are some of g-rom's stitches. I believe these are done entirely with in game photo tools (ie, dof and contrast settings.) it's easy to see that yes, the model quality IS there.

5172521994_106b34b2f1_b.jpg

5171974455_e66ce37d5a_b.jpg

5172105069_903dbb87fc_b.jpg

5172229737_f48987ee86_b.jpg

5172230189_d601f8cdc2_b.jpg

5172229933_7428386a71_b.jpg

skyfinch

Yoboman said:
I don't see how (the top ingame one) is any better than a GT5 standard model, maybe better than the worst one

That's either LOD issue or a pic of the AI car.

I willing to bet that even GT5's premium cars have different LODs in place depending on the camera distance. It would be a waste of resources of it didn't.

Yoboman

m0dus said:
The model quality is definitely there - representative shots are hard due to the horrid compression of photo mode shots. People have found ways around it by stitching them together, though.

These are some of g-rom's stitches. I believe these are done entirely with in game photo tools (ie, dof and contrast settings.) it's easy to see that yes, the model quality IS there.
Forza uses different models for gameplay and photo mode, why do your photomode pictures matter if the original comparison is about what we see ingame?

m0dus

Banned
skyfinch said:
That's either LOD issue or a pic of the AI car.

I willing to bet that even GT5's premium cars have different LODs in place depending on the camera distance. It would be a waste of resources of it didn't.

That first, low res shot of the Beamer is the low lod model used for the ai car.

skyfinch

alba said:
Forza has a lot of modelling inconsistencies in their models though.

Out sourced then most likely hand modeled. I know some where scanned, like the Veyron, but I assume most of them were hand modeled.

Yoboman said:
Forza uses different models for gameplay and photo mode, why do your photomode pictures matter if the original comparison is about what we see ingame?

Do you honestly believe that gt5 doesn't have different models for in-game compared to the photo and replay modes? :lol

m0dus

Banned
Yoboman said:

I'm sorry, there was an original comparison in there somewhere? :) I'm not going back more than a page to find out, for the sake of one's sanity.

Regarding your statement, In game models fall somewhere in between. The super Low LOD shot of the BMW does not represent the player car in game. My point was simply that the hi res models look pretty when they need to be (ie, in menus, livery, photo mode) and they are fairly consistent in that respect

skyfinch

Yoboman said:

When have you ever seen a camera angle like the one in the low LOD BMW ingame? The chase cam is the closest you'll ever get to the car ingame and from that distance there's no way you'll see details like the reflections from the light bulbs.

Top Bottom