• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

People are surprised? GT in game has historically never been OMG amazing looking (and neither has Forza), it's the replays that often are amazing. But in motion I'm sure it looks very good (stills rarely do any game justice).

shinnn

20zbf54.jpg

3816039964_47c6963366_o.jpg

:D

Bebpo

Banned
user_nat said:
Forza 3 suffers from similar inconsistencies IMO.

Some tracks and cars look stunning. Others.. not so much.

I guess it just isn't possible to create games with this much content and have it all at such a high standard.

This is about the only logical thing to say in this thread.

Of course I haven't played GT5 yet. But going by GT5P and the footage of GT5 and Forza 3, they're both good looking games with a lot of rough looking areas (Forza 2 tracks in F3, some not so hot cars; Some bland low-poly tracks in GT5, standard cars).

imo Forza 3 splits the polygon count more evenly between track/cars, whereas in GT5 almost all the graphics go into the car models so the environments look low-poly. Which is better probably depends on if you are a car enthusiast or graphics whore :p I'm in the latter myself!

Bebpo said:
This is about the only logical thing to say in this thread.
Forza will also always be recognized as presenting a more plastic looking car experience. almost toy-like when compared directly to GT5's well-waxed, high gloss finish.

Forza needs to take some time out to figure out how they can better their lighting engine. GT's is ridiculously better. the rest is kinda even, IMO.

Xun

GitarooMan said:
People are surprised? GT in game has historically never been OMG amazing looking (and neither has Forza), it's the replays that often are amazing. But in motion I'm sure it looks very good (stills rarely do any game justice).
I just think people in here just too quickly assumed the GT5 publicity shots were how it would look in game.

But who the fuck cares anyway? Both games look great in my opinion.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I plan on spending most of my time playing GT Life so I can unlock photo travel locations. I clearly admit GT5's photomode is awesome and very impressive. I can't wait. :D

That said, I'm seeing some really bizarre gameplay screenshots that look nothing like what I thought GT5 would look like.

And ouch at the Civic standard car model. I guess we'll need to be pretty selective with our poses when using standard cars in photomode. :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If we're going to compare GT5's standard cars, then lets compare them to Forza's standard cars.

20jr5w.jpg

Oh wait, that's Forza's "premium" car. Nevermind.

damn this thread is fun. :lol

And if anyone thinks I'm serious about all this, I'm not. But it's fun anyways.

chubigans said:
If we're going to compare GT5's standard cars, then lets compare them to Forza's standard cars.

http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/20jr5w.jpg[/IG]

[spoiler]damn this thread is fun. :lol

And if anyone thinks I'm serious about all this, I'm not. But it's fun anyways. [/spoiler][/QUOTE]
damn, that was harsh. :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
chespace said:
That said, I'm seeing some really bizarre gameplay screenshots that look nothing like what I thought GT5 would look like.
(
Some of the screens you were showing in the leadup to FM3 also resulted in some disappointment. On my behalf atleast.

Haunted

GT5 looks much better, the premium cars are much better, the standard cars are comparable, I'd say.

m0dus said:
Considering this thread is, at times, host to the absolute lowest common denominator in terms of discussions, what you cite above is tame at best.

As I was readying my racing setup for gt, I could not help but reflect upon the fact that forza 3 came out in October of last year. While comparisons will still be made, I don't think belaboring the lack of parity between sims that are now a full dev cycle apart really gets the old vitriol going like it used to. Still, will watch thread closely. until the 24th.
1 year a full dev cycle? Maybe in the Turn 10 HQ, Kaz hasn't even started thinking about hiring people to go into planning for pre-production after 1 year.

Seriously though, the shocking truth is that
I love games

edit: actually looking at that standard car shot above they're not comparable at all. But maybe that's just a bad shot, you never know in this thread!

chespace said:
I plan on spending most of my time playing GT Life so I can unlock photo travel locations. I clearly admit GT5's photomode is awesome and very impressive. I can't wait. :D

And ouch at the Civic standard car model. I guess we'll need to be pretty selective with our poses when using standard cars in photomode. :(

Don't worry. You can't use standards in Photo Travel. You're safe.

Kuran

Banned
chespace said:
o_O what the hell, is that GT5??

Che, it amazes me that you have the balls to post the way you post, as a community manager even! You're just making the Forza team look like a couple of douches.

chubigans said:

http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/20jr5w.jpg[/IG]

And if anyone thinks I'm serious about all this, I'm not. But it's fun anyways. [/spoiler][/QUOTE]

:lol :lol Favourite Gaffer

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
chubigans said:

http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/20jr5w.jpg[IMG]

:lol

Anyway, I believe both are pretty good. Every game has its flaws (I don't know what FM3's flaws are, but from what I've read about GT5, shadows don't look as good and a few graphical inconsistencies), it's just a matter of whether you enjoy the game or not despite its flaws.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Kuran said:
Che, it amazes me that you have the balls to post the way you post, as a community manager even! You're just making the Forza team look like a couple of douches.
I don't think he works for T10 anymore. Pretty sure I saw that in the Forza thread anyhow.

-viper- said:
http://imgur.com/6ODrl.jpg[/ig]

Why does it look worse in GT5 than in GT4? I know for a fact that the standard cars did not look as jaggy as this on the PS2.[/QUOTE]
GT4 wasn't trying to be all High Def n' shit. :lol

user_nat said:
Some of the screens you were showing in the leadup to FM3 also resulted in some disappointment. On my behalf atleast.

lulz. oh, the memories. Werent there bullshots of the photomode at one point in FM3's marketing cycle?

mintylurb

-viper- said:
6ODrl.jpg

HOW DO THEY LOOK WORSE IN GT5 THAN IN GT4? D;
Aww what a cute kitty..;3 Anyway, that civic looks pretty gaime.. ;/ I'm canceling my gt5 pre-order right now and just stick with forza 3's premium cars!

Haunted

Dreams-Visions said:
nah.

GT5 Premium >>>>>>> Forza 3 >>> GT5 Standard

not really even a debate, from what I've seen so far.
Yeah, I've edited my post after seeing that shot above. Although I saw some standard racecars before and they didn't look that bad.

But especially compared to the visuals of the real GT5 cars it's a pretty shocking disparity to have within one game.

Haunted said:
Yeah, I've edited my post after seeing that shot above. Although I saw some standard racecars before and they didn't look that bad.

But especially compared to the visuals of the real GT5 cars it's a pretty shocking disparity to have within one game.
maybe it's not so bad. the people in the official thread don't seem to be objecting to the standard cars yet. I guess we'll all see when our copies arrive.

-viper-

Banned
It's got nothing to do with being high-definition.

The rendering looks fucked up - pure and simple.

img0032_2.jpg

IMG0033.jpg

c4904ecb75e867bafda4d9a1b336422d_da0.jpg

img0250xg2.jpg

IMG0003.jpg

IMG0015z.jpg

IMG0060.jpg

IMG0034z.jpg

IMG034.jpg

IMG032.jpg

IMG0020.jpg

163rb.jpg

SLR1.jpg

Man. GT4 looks fucking amazing.

Standard car models in GT4 > GT5 standards confirmed. lulz.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
-viper- said:
It's got nothing to do with being high-definition.

The rendering looks fucked up - pure and simple.

So genuine question, wtf is going on?, why do the models in GT4 look miles better the standard cars in GT5?

A scaling issue maybe?, problems with porting the models into the GT5 engine?

jett

D-Member
You can see the same alpha texture issues the standard cars have in GT5 in some of those GT4 screens. I guess it just depends on the car model.

-viper-

Banned
lowrider007 said:
So genuine question, wtf is going on?, why do the models in GT4 look miles better the standard cars in GT5?

No idea. Are they even using the highest LOD models in GT5?

There are no jaggy edges or nothing in the GT4 photos. The car looks CLEAN. It looks great.

AndyD

aka andydumi
lowrider007 said:

Its GT4 photo mode vs. GT5 gameplay even though its the same model.

jett

D-Member
-viper- said:
No idea. Are they even using the highest LOD models in GT5?

There are no jaggy edges or nothing in the GT4 photos. The car looks CLEAN. It looks great.

Untrue, you can see the same crap that plagues the standard cars in GT5 here:

IMG0020.jpg

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
You can see the same alpha texture issues the standard cars have in GT5 in some of those GT4 screens. I guess it just depends on the car model.
It looks clear as daylight in GT5.

I can barely tell if it's in the GT4 photomode shots.

Speaking of GT4, I much prefer the 'art direction' of GT4.

It looks more realistic. GT5 looks too bright. The mood of the lighting just looks better in GT4.

Insertia

Standard cars in GT5 are comparable to those of Forza 3.

The 200 Premium cars in GT5...lets just be honest: No racing game compares.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If we're going to seriously do this right, then lets start with comparing the same cars.

gt1compareC.jpg

gt1compareD.jpg

Unfortunately I'm working with images I find on the internet, so if anyone with a copy of Forza 3 can take a quick pic of a Zonda during nighttime with rain turned on, I would be very greatful. Thanks!

Top Bottom