• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Yoboman

les papillons sexuels said:
Do you honestly believe that gt5 doesn't have different models for in-game compared to the photo and replay modes? :lol
Putting words in my mouth? The comparison above is comparing an ingame model in both Forza and Gran Turismo

qqwkl1.jpg

2vba2kn.jpg

I'm not sure if GT5 uses a better model in photo mode, I know at the least the AA and resolution are shot way up. But the difference is not ridiculously vast like Forza 3

Yoboman

skyfinch said:
When have you ever seen a camera angle like the one in the low LOD BMW ingame? The chase cam is the closest you'll ever get to the car ingame and from that distance there's no way you'll see details like the reflections from the light bulbs.
11jqbo9.jpg

forza3bullshots2.png

eso76

alba said:
Forza has a lot of modelling inconsistencies in their models though.

to be perfectly honest full LOD FM3 cars are close or equal to GT5's premiums when it comes to geometry. That's just for cars which were introduced in fm3 for the first time, though, they didn't put as much effort in older cars, which retain mistakes present since fm1. The Ferrari F40, the toyota Supra and tons of other cars just look wrong even at their best lod.

Phloxy

Isn't Forza 3 60 frames locked? Not hating on either game, but the GTa style dithering on some of the GT vids I've seen sucks balls.

Piggus

skyfinch said:
11jqbo9.jpg

2vba2kn.jpg

You honestly think these 2 shots use the same models and detail? :lol

Whatever, I'm going to sleep.

Well, can you prove otherwise? Neither one of those shots is from Photomode. It's from a real, in-game replay.

EDIT: Sorry. The first image is from gameplay. You can see the lettering on the headlight bulb just like you can on the second shot if you look closely.

Iknos

skyfinch said:
I willing to bet that even GT5's premium cars have different LODs in place depending on the camera distance. It would be a waste of resources of it didn't.

Prologue has some heavy tessellation on the vehicles. It's jarring sometimes but its forgivable considering the number of cars on track.

eso76 said:
to be perfectly honest full LOD FM3 cars are close or equal to GT5's premiums when it comes to geometry. That's just for cars which were introduced in fm3 for the first time, though, they didn't put as much effort in older cars, which retain mistakes present since fm1.

You are right about newer models being better but in gameplay they are no where close to GT5's premium models.

The superhigh detail models in FM3 are the same as the superhigh models in GT5. But neither of those games use them in gameplay.

But GT's gameplay models are far more detailed than FM3s.

Shambles

Cuban Legend said:
Calm down fellas, It's a just a beemer... try and argue pixels over a real car.

Trolling is less effective when there is a major spelling error in the post. :D

Count me in the Bimmer side of the spelling fence

Razgreez

Iknos said:

And far more accurate i might add. Was looking at the SL65 AMG Black Edition in Forza 3 and its proportions are just way off. That's but one example

eso76

Iknos said:
You are right about newer models being better but in gameplay they are no where close to GT5's premium models.

The superhigh detail models in FM3 are the same as the superhigh models in GT5. But neither of those games use them in gameplay.

of course, ingame models are just on different leagues. While FM3 replaces superhigh models with ones using like 10 times less polys, GT5 ingame models are practically identical to the ones you see in menus and photo travel mode; differences are very minor and from what i've seen only affect parts you wouldn't see anyway (minor engine details for cars where the engine is partially visible etc).

The good thing for T10 is they have a very decent library of premium and semi-premium models at this point (but for the love of God, fix that F40 and those Supras) which they will be able to use ingame eventually, so they can concentrate on shaders, weather effects, tracks and furter improving physics (rolling needs work for example)

Shaneus

eso76 said:
The good thing for T10 is they have a very decent library of premium and semi-premium models at this point (but for the love of God, fix that F40 and those Supras) which they will be able to use ingame eventually, so they can concentrate on shaders, weather effects, tracks and furter improving physics (rolling needs work for example)
And the Impreza 22B. Ugh, worst model I've seen in a "sim" in ages.

I actually believe some PC games unofficially use the highest-LOD models from Forza 3 to import into whatever format it can be used in. I think I:Racing may have some in there? Either way, it's a testament to the quality of their models.

dejay

Banned
I think a mod should replace every instance of the word GT5 (and it's variants) with Selena Gomez and Forza with Victoria Justice. Comments about headlights and geometry would be hysterical.

I remember long ago Che said that the super duper polygon models in forza 3 were to be used for replays but it was scrapped before release, so that model only appears in the menus and photomode now. If it was in a replay it would be a lot closer to the gt5 headlight, but still not as good imo, gt5 has some amazing shaders going on which look really realistic.

Xun

Diablohead said:
I remember long ago Che said that the super duper polygon models in forza 3 were to be used for replays but it was scrapped before release, so that model only appears in the menus and photomode now. If it was in a replay it would be a lot closer to the gt5 headlight, but still not as good imo, gt5 has some amazing shaders going on which look really realistic.
It's frustrating since the high LOD Forza models are pretty damn good. :(

SmokyDave

Fallout-NL said:
You guys ever get around to discussing physics and the actual driving?
OH NO! PC SIM AVALANCHE INCOMING!

Seriously though, it's tricky before enough of us get our hands on the game. Forza feels excellent to drive but it doesn't seem terribly realistic on the ragged edge. I'm hoping that GT5 will have (slightly) better physics but I don't get to find out until tomorrow!

There doesn't seem to be much of a competition in the graphics department (with the possible exception of framerate?) so I'd be really interested in some physics comparisons too.

Ashes

Banned
I kinda of love this. Gt5 is undeniably better where it is better and undeniably worse than Forza where it is worse than Forza. :lol
where the fuck is the debate supposed to be had? :lol

Pepto

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
I kinda of love this. Gt5 is undeniably better where it is better and undeniably worse than Forza where it is worse than Forza. :lol
There are people that do not think this is true.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You honestly think these 2 shots use the same models and detail?
They look pretty damn close, though. Isn't that the effect they should be after? The difference is not easy to see at a glance.

That is not the case with the Forza 3 models, which appear significantly less detailed during gameplay.

nib95

Banned
dark10x said:
They look pretty damn close, though. Isn't that the effect they should be after? The difference is not easy to see at a glance.

That is not the case with the Forza 3 models, which appear significantly less detailed during gameplay.

Even in the gameplay shot you can see the text around the lining in the bulb. So whilst they may not actually be the same, you can't actually tell otherwise which means they are detailed enough in gameplay. Main difference visible to the eye is in the AA.

eso76

Diablohead said:
I remember long ago Che said that the super duper polygon models in forza 3 were to be used for replays but it was scrapped before release

it was the other guy who leaked tons of stuff before release who said that, but i'm skeptical. I mean, yeah, that was probably their goal, but i don't think it was scrapped due to time constraints or rather, i don't think time was the only issue. The difference between high and low lod models is huge in fm3, the game doesn't even swap all models with their high lod versions for photomode, just your car, so maybe it's more of a ram constraint and i'm not sure more time would be enough to find a workaround.

In addition to that, T10 needs to work a lot on shaders (they even aknowloedged that) and lighting. Cars seem to ignore ambient light almost completely, as do tracks; and this is something that's often overlooked when talking about (lack of) photorealism in fm3; background textures often have completely wrong colours and tints; those greens and yellows they used on le mans or nurburgring gt just don't exist in real life. Amalfi coast could be a very nice track, but it has some ugly and totally unrealistic colours; GT5 Cote d'Azur is very similar in scenery and layout, but the huge difference is colours are spot on.

Hint for T10: more reference photos, possibly matching the lighting conditions of the skydome you're going to use :p

Ashes1396 said:
where the fuck is the debate supposed to be had? :lol

Eternal warfare between fanboy camps.

iceatcs

Shogun PaiN said:
What is this? Gran Turismo 1 in HD?
Almost it is virtual port from GT4 model.
img00132po.jpg

Shame they didn't upscaling the alpha texture but 700+ retexture can be quite lot of worktime because if you upscaling texture then you also need to remapping as well.

adelante

iceatcs said:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5462/img00132po.jpg[//IMG]
Shame they didn't upscaling the alpha texture but 700+ retexture can be quite lot of worktime because if you upscaling texture then you also need to remapping as well.[/QUOTE]
You know what this means don't you. Other developers now don't have to feel bad about reusing assets from their previous games, even if it's a generation old, seeing as how PD has set a precedence for it! Then again, PD can get away with anything at this point :lol

Walshicus

shinnn said:
hu0cjt.jpg

shame that PD don't allow you to get more zoom in standard cars. :(
Wait, seriously? I mean other than being a bit of a Microsoft fanboy I have no stake in this argument, but that can't be right... can it?

Synless

Gold Member
Sir Fragula said:
Wait, seriously? I mean other than being a bit of a Microsoft fanboy I have no stake in this argument, but that can't be right... can it?
Apparently it is. My question is, can you make it so you never have to race with standard cars? I never want to see those pieces of shit next to my beautiful premium cars.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
iceatcs said:

Shame they didn't upscaling the alpha texture but 700+ retexture can be quite lot of worktime because if you upscaling texture then you also need to remapping as well.

I gotta say it. That shit looks disgusting. :(

Synless said:
Apparently it is. My question is, can you make it so you never have to race with standard cars? I never want to see those pieces of shit next to my beautiful premium cars.

They look fine during races. Unless you're the one driving it.

Also, how hard is it for you people to accept that the game has 200 cars, with 800 GT4 cars as bonuses.

CozMick

Banned
Synless said:

Yes, you can avoid standard cars for the entire game, they are set up in the game as "used cars"

Sir Fragula said:
Were you expecting more from a GT4 model? I mean PD clearly stated that they were GT4 models.... they weren't lying about it. IMO, they should have just left them out and used the time it took to import them into GT5 to model more premiums. Reviewers are going to focus on this shit but PD/Sony had to see it coming.

skyfinch said:
Yoboman said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/11jqbo9.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/2vba2kn.jpg[/IG]

You honestly think these 2 shots use the same models and detail? :lol

Whatever, I'm going to sleep.[/QUOTE]

Yoboman with the flawless victory. Throw some 16xaa on that and you have nearly an identical model. Had that guy taken that picture in a tunnel, the lighting would look nearly like the bottom photo as well.

And no you never have to use those horrendous standard models, they have their own "used cars" section.

adelante

Metalmurphy said:
Also, how hard is it for you people to realize that the game has 200 cars, with 800 GT4 cars as bonuses.
How dare you try to inject a bit of sanity in this God-forsaken place!

Seriously though, we've seen some pretty ugly models in Forza 3 but for all the flack T10's got for exposing us to such horror, you gotta admit these ones in GT5 takes the cake.

Top Bottom