• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

duk

Banned
evolution said:
I just did a race with 16 cars all premium all on screen in the rain, show me that in forza 3. Im waiting.

Show me some utterly basic things like brake upgrades and full featured stuff like friend invite and fully customizable gfx on cars in GT5. I think I'll be waiting til GT6.

Pallaris

evolution said:
Forza doesn't have to push as much on screen at any moment, its pretty simple.

but on the flipside the framerate doesnt suffer which, in the end is the most important thing for a racing game., so probably a smart decision on the dev's part.

I think GT5 was another victim (also Wipeout HD) of stupidly trying to target 1080p from the beginning (or close to) to the detriment of the gaming experience.

I mean, screen tearing..... fuck no. Regardless of the nice car modeling they should have found a way to deal with framerate issues.

All of this was inevitable really.

duk said:
Show me some utterly basic things like brake upgrades and full featured stuff like friend invite and fully customizable gfx on cars in GT5. I think I'll be waiting til GT6.

Livery editor sure is fundamental thing.:lol

duk said:

Model car not sucking in gameplay > any fucking livery

duk said:

Brake upgrades are in. Some cars just don't have them.

And you'd take livery editor over 16 cars, dynamic rain/snow/night racing/and day night transitions?

Hope you're not expecting people to take you seriously after that...

Atomski said:
I would hope so.
It does.

beast786

duk said:

Wait, I thought the Premium have that.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I think GT5 was another victim (also Wipeout HD) of stupidly trying to target 1080p from the beginning (or close to) to the detriment of the gaming experience.

wait, Wipeout HD wasn't absolutely face meltingly great now?

GT5 seems to be the only victim here

AdvanS13

Neo Member
gdamn, fucking whiners, just play the fucking game. who gives a shit. i get so immersed, even in gt5p...i didn't e-brake to stare at a fucking tree or a shadow for five minutes, just to take screenshots for all my e-homies.

kevm3 said:
The first video with the rolling on roof thing, I remember Dan in a video before release said that was some beta/dev function to flip the car back onto it's wheels and if you roof it in the final game you are fucked and out, well they obviously left in the control to rotate the bar back onto it's wheels in the final game which I think is completely stupid, as a racing sim i;d prefer to be totalled if I did roof the car, and since the game has rewind in it then use that as a cheap recovery option.

I guess that leaves online where rolling the car back onto wheels is useful but if you roofed it you would be too far behind to catch up most of the time in only 2-3 laps.

commedieu

Banned
Trickster said:
Where were you when people were doing the exact same thing with Forza 3 pics?

I was too busy pointing out that the direct feed gameplay vids also looked terrible. Or pointing out that the LOD's were different from start of race, to start of race.. no animated spoilers..plastic lighting, Telling people the demo was their final product as far as the visuals go, etc. I was busy doing something, but not 100% sure.

But seems to be void now, since Forza folk are hiding behind PGR4 now?

jett

D-Member
I don't know what's this about Forza having better trackside detail, but GT5 has great looking scenery
sometimes lololol
:

granturismo5_229877b.jpg

granturismo5_229886b.jpg

granturismo5_229884b.jpg

AlStrong said:
+ Quincunx

GT5 doesn't use quincunx, at 1280x1080p it uses 2XAA, 4XAA at 720p.

szaromir

Banned
jett said:
I don't know what's this about Forza having better trackside detail, but GT5 has great looking scenery
sometimes lololol
:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/98/granturismo5_229877b.jpg

[IMG]http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/98/granturismo5_229886b.jpg

[IMG]http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/98/granturismo5_229884b.jpg[/QUOTE]
The first two are garbage. The third one is nice though. If only PD could get consistent look.
[QUOTE]Not from the captures I've looked at.[/QUOTE]
Looks pretty sharp for QAA
[QUOTE]GT5 does not use Quincunx.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't argue with AlStrong, he's [B]the[/B] pixel counter on the internet.

beast786

jett said:
sometimes lololol
:

GT5 doesn't use quincunx, at 1280x1080p it uses 2XAA, 4XAA at 720p.

Still havent seen any with snow/Rain/Night-Day?

jett

D-Member
szaromir said:
The first two are garbage. The third one is nice though. If only PD could get consistent look.

I wouldn't argue with AlStrong, he's the pixel counter on the internet.

Garbage? Joke character/Poster-that-can't-be-taken-seriously revealed.

I don't who AlStrong is, I've had plenty of unfortunate experience with QAA to notice when it's being used and when it isn't. GT5 doesn't use it.

edit: I'm only taking about 720p as I'm judging by the captures that are available on the intarwebs, in 1080p I have no clue. If it's using QAA in 1080p then we might as well cross it off GT5's checklist because QAA is a hideous aberration.

AlStrong

szaromir said:

The increased resolution helps mitigate that due to how the quincunx filter operates.

jett said:
I'm only taking about 720p as I'm judging by the captures that are available on the intarwebs, in 1080p I have no clue.

Right, I was only talking about the 1080p mode. 720p is clearly 4xAA. And to clarify, the 3D mode is 720p QAA (understandably).

jett

D-Member
Truly, Forza has the superior trackside detail...too bad the shots I posted look like garbage compared to those above.

lol.

szaromir

Banned
jett said:
Garbage? Joke character/Poster-that-can't-be-taken-seriously revealed.
Oh please, just look at these screens. It's a road (the texture is well filtered for a console game, fair enough), completely flat grass and a bunch of hideous trees are considered "great looking scenery"? It's 2010 dude.

jett

D-Member
AlStrong said:
The increased resolution helps mitigate that due to how the quincunx filter operates.

Right, I was only talking about the 1080p mode. 720p is clearly 4xAA. And to clarify, the 3D mode is 720p QAA (understandably).

Well then...it's gonna be a pain in the ass to change the resolution of my PS3 every time I run GT5.

I am almost impressed it manages to run at 720p in 3D though.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
Well then...it's gonna be a pain in the ass to change the resolution of my PS3 every time I run GT5.

I am almost impressed it manages to run at 720p in 3D though.
GT5P had a menu based selection choice so you didn't have to do that, is it gone?

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
GT5P had a menu based selection choice so you didn't have to do that, is it gone?

I think I've read that that option is not in the game. I don't remember GT5P having it either. Is it GTHD you're thinking of?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I havent followed video games for a while and honestly, both these games look pretty bad. I'm surprised we're in 2010 and the graphics in car racing games are this bad.

watership said:
Exactly. GT's legendary status doesn't help expectations in the least. Then there is a huge gap between releases with reasons given for delays and the long dev time is that the lead producer is a perfectionist and he wants to do things the right way. Then the game isn't perfect... It's illogical, and it's impossible to meet those standards, but they set those standards. It's not like Killzone 1, where a magazine said it was a Halo killer and doomed that game to comparisons and crazy expectations.

The thing I don't get is why put something in like Nascar and Gocarts? Did anyone ASK for that? Content is great. No would would debate GT5 on content, but it seems it came at the sacrifice of car models. I think everyone would agree, more premium cars and higher quality tracks would have been preferred, nine times out of ten.
Presuming to know the mind of a critic is failure incarnate. Maybe they held it to a higher standard. Maybe not. Maybe they compared it to the competition the entire time. Maybe not. Maybe they reviewed it totally objectively. Maybe not. Nobody here knows, though at least one review declared FM3 the superior game today.

Pretending to know or presume to know how or why scores were given beyond the review text smacks of unwarrnted desperation and plays right into the hands of those who want to point and laugh at GT5 and their base. Take the scores like men, people. Less excuses, more appreciation for great games.

It'll be okay if not everyone shares your love for your favorite game. Shouldn't affect us in the slightest.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
I think I've read that that option is not in the game. I don't remember GT5P having it either. Is it GTHD you're thinking of?
Quite possibly yeah, it's been a long time since I played GT5P. It's a nice option that should be there though if it's not.

jett said:

GT5P has it but you can't actually change anything IIRC. It just lists the modes.

Top Bottom