• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

tass0

Banned
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
I havent followed video games for a while and honestly, both these games look pretty bad. I'm surprised we're in 2010 and the graphics in car racing games are this bad.

They both look absolutely stunning on a real fucking TV, looking at it with your own eyes.

These type of screenshots make any game look bad.

Haunted said:
gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

Pretty mindblowing that these are from the same game. What a disparity.

PS2 Emulation on GT5 disk ... MIND BLOWN

beast786

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
I havent followed video games for a while and honestly, both these games look pretty bad. I'm surprised we're in 2010 and the graphics in car racing games are this bad.

This thread is not the best representation of either game.

tass0 said:
They both look absolutely stunning on a real fucking TV, looking at it with your own eyes.

These type of screenshots make any game look bad.
Stunning is an exaggeration imo. I have a 60 inch 1080p Bravia and Forza looks pretty meh on most tracks. There are plenty of jaggies and the overall picture looks muddy.

GT Prologue looks very clean and has a slightly better sense of speed, but I'm hoping GT5 ups the ante across the board. Hard to tell at the moment.

StuBurns

Banned
I really wish people used nice quality images if they want to post them, dog shit jpeg compression makes everything look like crap. People with 56k can suffer when the point is comparing graphical quality.

arne

theignoramus said:

I don't believe that would be an in-game shot the way the F3 shot is an in-game shot. (I could be wrong, but looking at other screenshots). Replay maybe, but not during a race -- the M3 and DB9 shots on taxigamer would be closer. Still looks pretty fuggin fantastic in that shot (and I'm a former GT fan turned Forza fan over the past years), but the point is you're not giving your comparison any creedence with that.

ShapeGSX

theignoramus said:
:lol
Look at the rim on the car

Perhaps not the output of photo mode, but not "in game". There is motion blur you can see on the pavement. 30fps replay at best, or a screen grab of photo mode.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
I really wish people used nice quality images if they want to post them, dog shit jpeg compression makes everything look like crap. People with 56k can suffer when the point is comparing graphical quality.

Forsete posted a bunch of his own captures in the photo thread:

yQzvp.jpg

F63an.jpg

AMaTR.jpg

iLVmd.jpg

b5C98.jpg

None are from photomode.

jett

D-Member
les papillons sexuels said:
odd, I doubt PD would require a drop to 30fps only to account for motion blur. What about changes in resolution.

Only motion blur and other post-processing effects like depth of field and heatwave. Motion blur is extremely costly to the PS360. How many 60fps games do you know that use it? The only one I know of that uses high quality full-screen motion blur and per-object motion blur is God of War III and even then the game's framerate is very uneven.

odd, I doubt PD would require a drop to 30fps only to account for motion blur. What about changes in resolution.
Maybe the framerate was more unstable during replays so they just locked it at 30fps and added motion blur to try and make up for the difference.

user friendly said:
Maybe the framerate was more unstable during replays so they just locked it at 30fps and added motion blur to try and make up for the difference.

That still seems off to me as I would assume replays would require less processing then actual gameplay, considering there's no ai, and/or physics models to calculate, it should free up some processing to visuals. It does make sense in an attempt to stabilize the overall frame rate though.

I only ask out of my personal intrigue. I honestly could care less about the competition between f3 and gt5.

That still seems off to me as I would assume replays would require less processing then actual gameplay, considering there's no ai, and/or physics models.

I only ask out of my personal intrigue. I honestly could care less about the competition between f3 and gt5.

AI and physics are still calculated. Replay doesn't use recorded video material - it's basically a 100% accurate reproduction of recorded actions by all the players.

After my second day with the game I have to say that there really is no competition anymore physics wise. I just took a tuned 135i on Trial Mountain and the handling is insanely real. The weight transfer when jumping over ridges and the corresponding Force Feedback, holy shit! :lol

While it is one of the less attractive tracks, it's still one of my favourites. The lighting makes pretty much up for any missing detail in the landscape. Even the ugly tracks look more life like than Forza because of that.

Edit: Not completely sure about the AI yet, but it seems to be at least on par.

Lagspike_exe said:
AI and physics are still calculated. Replay doesn't use recorded video material - it's basically a 100% accurate reproduction of recorded actions by all the players.

I thought they'd implement a method of saving the game file, kinda like how halo theater, or valve games work. Then quarry the game file for those values as opposed to actually calculating them again.

Xun

schennmu said:
After my second day with the game I have to say that there really is no competition anymore physics wise. I just took a tuned 135i on Trial Mountain and the handling is insanely real. The weight transfer when jumping over ridges and the corresponding Force Feedback, holy shit! :lol

While it is one of the less attractive tracks, it's still one of my favourites. The lighting makes pretty much up for any missing detail in the landscape. Even the ugly tracks look more life like than Forza because of that.

Edit: Not completely sure about the AI yet, but it seems to be at least on par.
I don't agree with the physics being better than the competition to be honest, but it's definitely up there.

Also I'm really surprised how much better it feels to drive a car than in Prologue.

AlStrong said:
The increased resolution helps mitigate that due to how the quincunx filter operates.

Right, I was only talking about the 1080p mode. 720p is clearly 4xAA. And to clarify, the 3D mode is 720p QAA (understandably).

Interesting! That explains why 720p looks better on my set.

Xun said:
I don't agree with the physics being better than the competition to be honest, but it's definitely up there.

Also I'm really surprised how much better it feels to drive a car than in Prologue.

I was only talking about Forza because I don't play PC racing sims. F3 feels "on rails" to me compared to GT5.

theignoramus said:
Forza 3 premium:the bullshot

http://i.imgur.com/BAPgw.jpg[IMG]

GT5 premium: in game
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MmHUC.jpg[IMG]

Forza 3 premium: in game
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vwCXV.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Not trying to doubt anything here but you compare a photo mode pic to a night time image and then to a front view of the car in forza which is half the size this too far away.

At least get a similar angle in the same daytime conditions, and the forza car from a replay also.

Xun

schennmu said:
I was only talking about Forza because I don't play PC racing sims. F3 feels "on rails" to me compared to GT5.
I disagree, but each to their own.

It sounds to me like you played Forza with the assists on, which does indeed make things feel "on rails".

Shaneus

evolution said:
I just did a race with 16 cars all premium all on screen in the rain, show me that in forza 3. Im waiting.
Forza 3 doesn't have premium/standard cars. It just has cars. All have the same amount of damage, all are just as customisable, all have in-car view. Show me that in GT5. Im waiting :lol

Xun said:
I disagree, but each to their own.

It sounds to me like you played Forza with the assists on, which does indeed make things feel "on rails".

I never play with assists if possible. Anyway, off to more awesomeness :D

Diablohead said:
Not trying to doubt anything here but you compare a photo mode pic to a night time image and then to a front view of the car in forza which is half the size this too far away.

At least get a similar angle in the same daytime conditions, and the forza car from a replay also.

0daw8.jpg

8Xtpl.jpg

Big :lol at the Offscreen shots.

jett said:
Forsete posted a bunch of his own captures in the photo thread:

[]http://imgur.com/yQzvp.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://imgur.com/F63an.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://imgur.com/AMaTR.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://imgur.com/iLVmd.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://imgur.com/b5C98.jpg[/IMG]

None are from photomode.

FUCKING FINALLY! I said it before and I'll say it again. Forsetes capture setup is the ONLY ONE I trust. It was the same shit back in GT5P.

theignoramus said:
[]http://i.imgur.com/0daw8.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i.imgur.com/8Xtpl.jpg[/IMG]

Is that Prologue?

Shaneus said:
Forza 3 doesn't have premium/standard cars. It just has cars. All have the same amount of damage, all are just as customisable, all have in-car view. Show me that in GT5. Im waiting :lol
Jack of all trades, king of none?

Runs for cover! lol

Shaneus

painful fart said:
Jack of all trades, king of none?

Runs for cover! lol
Certainly not the jack of lighting. Having to fuck around for SO long to make sure the lighting didn't fuck up the picture in photo mode was ridiculous. Hopefully there's no need in GT5.

And you can't externally modify standard cars in GT5, can you? I assume you can do engine/drivetrain/brake upgrades but I've read that even modify the rims :/

Shaneus said:
Certainly not the jack of lighting. Having to fuck around for SO long to make sure the lighting didn't fuck up the picture in photo mode was ridiculous. Hopefully there's no need in GT5.

And you can't externally modify standard cars in GT5, can you? I assume you can do engine/drivetrain/brake upgrades but I've read that even modify the rims :/

You can't change the rims on standard cars but you can on premium.

You can change body parts on both, but not on all cars.

Considering the amount of time and resources PD had for this one game I thought it was going to be a lot better than what it is. With that said I can still see myself playing this for a long time and I am pretty sure it will only get better. The one question I do have is why has it taken so long, I just don't get it.

Bebpo

Banned
After playing GT5 for a few hours and Forza 3 for a few days, imo:

-Forza has better photomode because you can pause out
-Forza has nicer looking environments
-Forza has real-time animated braking lines which I love
-Forza has a better feeling of damage (GT you just bounce off every damn thing)
-Forza has better AI
-Forza has better sound design
-Forza has painting cars & trading designs
-Forza has more consistent looking cars when racing against them
-GT has more detailed cars for premium
-GT has better lighting and overall better looking engine while racing
-GT has better handling
-GT has more content
-both have terrible loading installed, it felt like Forza loading for each race was longer, but GT has loading for every little action anywhere which Forza doesn't so much

imo it's about even. GT wins in some of the most important aspects like handling/graphics engine/content, but it's also waaaay rougher than Forza and missing a bunch of modern day expected features in a racing game.

I don't really like either game because I'm an arcade racer fan. I just like taking pictures in photo mode with sims.

skyfinch

user friendly said:
Just motion blur I believe, 30fps as well. Same model at least.

Both games are adding depth of field effects as well. So basically for both games, replays do not = in-game. If they were, they wouldn't have drop the framerate down to 30.

Top Bottom