• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Bebpo said:
After playing GT5 for a few hours and Forza 3 for a few days, imo:

-Forza has better photomode because you can pause out That alone makes it better? oO I sugest you visit the GT5 Photo thread
-Forza has real-time animated braking lines which I love GT5 has them as well.

skyfinch said:
Both games are adding depth of field effects as well. So basically for both games, replays do not = in-game. If they were, they wouldn't have drop the framerate down to 30.
They were comparing the car model. I don't see how that's relevant.

skyfinch said:
Both games are adding depth of field effects as well. So basically for both games, replays do not = in-game. If they were, they wouldn't have drop the framerate down to 30.
The case in point isnt the extra effects or the motion blur, it's the premium models. Sadly, Forza doesnt even use its bullshot models in replay.

theignoramus said:
The case in point isnt the extra effects or the motion blur, it's the premium models. Sadly, Forza doesnt even use its bullshot models in replay.

We should ask Forsete to take a direct grab of the R8 in chase cam while looking back.

skyfinch

Metalmurphy said:

He mentioned motion blur in the replays. I replied with a comment regarding replays. Why isn't it relevant?

Bebpo

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

Regarding the real-time braking lines. In GT they seemed static. Meaning they would show where to break (blueblueblueredredredblue) but no matter how much I sped up or slowed down the colors wouldn't change. Do you have to unlock real-time ones or something? I like how in Forza it was constantly adjusting the color of the lines based on my exact speed at any moment.

And yes, being able to pause out of photomode makes a huge difference if you're into in-game photography. If something catches your eye while racing or anything crazy happens, having to finish the race than watch the replay back to that spot is tedious and decreases your interest in following up on those situations with a photo. And I'm not talking about the "graphics" in photomode. GT obviously wins there. I'm talking about which one is more fun to take pictures in.

skyfinch

Metalmurphy said:
For the purpose of that comparison replay = ingame. And you were saying the opposite.

People were making comments about what effects they added to replays. God, learn how to read for fuck sakes.

Bebpo said:
Regarding the real-time braking lines. In GT they seemed static. Meaning they would show where to break (blueblueblueredredredblue) but no matter how much I sped up or slowed down the colors wouldn't change. Do you have to unlock real-time ones or something? I like how in Forza it was constantly adjusting the color of the lines based on my exact speed at any moment.

And yes, being able to pause out of photomode makes a huge difference if you're into in-game photography. If something catches your eye while racing or anything crazy happens, having to finish the race than watch the replay back to that spot is tedious and decreases your interest in following up on those situations with a photo.

They're not static. Go really slow on a corner and you'll see no red line. In some ocasions I've seen it change right in front of me.

Since Forza has the Red Green and Yellow you just notice the change more often.

skyfinch said:
People were making comments about what effects they added to replays. God, learn how to read for fuck sakes.
Learn how not to jump into other people conversations with shit that has no relevance to it "for fucks sakes".

theignoramus basically told you the same thing I did. Why are you going all mental on me? Take some pills dude.

Shaneus

Metalmurphy said:
Shall we start posting pictures of that Corvette again? :lol Anyway, I'm sure that photo was taken during a replay and not instantaneously. For him, the ability to pose your car on any track, pause it, take a photo and keep mucking around is better than the actual quality of the photos.

It's an option that could be patched in but it's clearly an issue for him.

Vorg

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Learn how not to jump into other people conversations with shit that has no relevance to it "for fucks sakes".

theignoramus basically told you the same thing I did. Why are you going all mental on me? Take some pills dude.

Jesus. You're bordering on "gamefaqs nutcase" status now. Your unwavering devotion to GT5 is getting the best of you.

acidspunk said:
Jesus. You're bordering on "gamefaqs nutcase" status now. Your unwavering devotion to GT5 is getting the best of you.
Really?

2 People comparing cars models
He points out one is replay and it adds DoF and Motion Blur
I point out that has no impact on car models therefore has no relevance.

*gamefaqs nutcase and unwavering devotion to GT5 status achieved!*

Whatever, If that bothered you that much do what he did, put me on ignore.

Shaneus said:
Shall we start posting pictures of that Corvette again? :lol Anyway, I'm sure that photo was taken during a replay and not instantaneously. For him, the ability to pose your car on any track, pause it, take a photo and keep mucking around is better than the actual quality of the photos.

It's an option that could be patched in but it's clearly an issue for him.
Sure, it's more convenient, but you can achieve the same thing by going on a track, posing your car, exit to replay (you don't even have to finish the race) and do it. And considering the output is indisputably better I don't understand his point of view.

Not sure what you meant about the Corvette btw oO

Vorg

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Really?

2 People comparing cars models
He points out one is replay and it adds DoF and Motion Blur
I point out that has no impact on car models therefore has no relevance.

*gamefaqs nutcase and unwavering devotion to GT5 status achieved!*

Whatever, If that bothered you that much do what he did, put me on ignore.

Dude, I don't really care either way. I just think you tend to overreact to shit if it concerns GT5.

AZ Greg

ITT: Goal post moving!

evolution said:
Forza doesn't have to push as much on screen at any moment, its pretty simple.

Last generation if someone would have suggested that PD will put out a PS3 GT that does this and pushes that, but it will mean an inconsistent framerate and tearing then that person would have been laughed at. Now it's an excuse?

beast786 said:
Close enough :D

Still greater than 720P

:p

Again, this is another sacrifice that would have gotten a person laughed at during pre-release PS3 hype.

And how is this stuff justified? "At least it looks better/pushes more than Forza 3!" The worst part of the console graphics war penis measuring is that people lower their standards as long as their game of choice looks better. It shouldn't matter if Forza 3 looks like a warm dog turd, this visual inconsistency in GT5 sucks. And who knows, maybe if there had been more outrage when some of these inconsistencies were popping up in Prologue then maybe they would have been ironed out. Instead, PD sees all the fanboys calling the game fine and seeing that they're satisfied because it looks better than Forza. It's a shame.

Ploid 3.0

I'm installing, but got a chance to finally play before. I got one thing to say. I love everyone.

Forza? Love you man.
GT5? Love you man.
Che? You're cool too bro.

Unicorns and Rainbows man.
AuMug.jpg

skyfinch said:

This rule applies to GT5 models though, GT5 ingame car model = GT5 replay car model, which I think it was his point, also it dosn't applies to FM3, because the in-game model looks way worse than the replay model.

Shaneus

I think the one thing to come from it is that for GT6, the engine should have been tweaked and there'll be more premium cars and less/no standards. Polyphony have themselves a solid foundation to build on. Just a shame they didn't do as good a job as expected this time around.

One of the biggest gripes I had with F3 was the lighting, which Che apparently reckons has been fixed. If true, shit could get interesting.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Thanks, Haunted.

So, the games look pretty much the same to me. I dunno. (Obviously Forza 3's environment is way better, just looking at the cars).

granturismo5_229641b7dfs.jpg

AZ Greg said:
Instead, PD sees all the fanboys calling the game fine and seeing that they're satisfied because it looks better than Forza. It's a shame.
:lol You dont have the vaguest idea what you're talking about. GTplanet is one of their sources for feedback. That alone exhausts your argument.

Bebpo said:
And yes, being able to pause out of photomode makes a huge difference if you're into in-game photography. If something catches your eye while racing or anything crazy happens, having to finish the race than watch the replay back to that spot is tedious and decreases your interest in following up on those situations with a photo. And I'm not talking about the "graphics" in photomode. GT obviously wins there. I'm talking about which one is more fun to take pictures in.

That is so true. While playing PGR4 just now I did a nice move where my bike was just about to crash and the tire smoke + sparks from scraping the road looked awesome. I just hit pause and dicked around in photo mode for like 10 minutes.

To be honest, I didn't even know Forza had that feature and I own both Forza 2 and 3. It was a big thing I did with PGR3 and 4.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
theignoramus said:
Whoa, your link is the first time I've looked at the two and though, damn Forza 3 looks a HELL of a lot better.

GT5's highs are higher, and lows are lower. Forza 3 is somewhere inbetween. Really, if you can't see this, you are being ignorant of the facts and screenshots presented in this thread.

On the whole, GT5 is prettier because it's photomode is prettier. [This portion of the post is opinion]

It would've been a blatant GT5 victory if the retarded Premium/Standard division didn't exist. Which shouldn't exist anyways. Oh and not to mention the technical ugliness posted in some screens.

RSTEIN said:
No to what? I'm talking about that specific track (to get around the photmode vs. non photomode/night time vs day time bullshit. You're saying on that track GT5's environment is better?
What night time vs. day time, photomode vs. non photomode bullshit. We've seen what GT5's premium models look like at 30 and 60 fps and we've seen what Forza's premium models look like. That's what the comparison was about. That other stuff was dragged in to undercut the obvious.

RSTEIN

theignoramus said:
What night time vs. day time, photomode vs. non photomode bullshit. We've seen what GT5's premium models look like at 30 and 60 fps and we've seen what Forza's premium models look like. That's what the comparison was about. That other stuff was dragged in to undercut the obvious.

I'm asking you: the above image is the same track--a real world track. Which game looks better? Simple question.

shinnn said:
"Forza's premium models"

:lol
:lol I know eh? Too bad you only see the real "premiums" in the menus and at the intro of a race.

RSTEIN said:
I'm asking you: the above image is the same track--a real world track. Which game looks better? Simple question.
They both look like jagged shit in those specific captures. But I'll give you the environmental detail in Forza.

RSTEIN

theignoramus said:
They both look like jagged shit in those specific captures. But I'll give you the environmental detail in Forza.
So you're not totally insane, at least.

AZ Greg

theignoramus said:
:lol You dont have the vaguest idea what you're talking about. GTplanet is one of their sources for feedback. That alone exhausts your argument.

Well I'd hope they'd get feedback from an enthusiast site that is above console wars. Doesn't change the fact that the bar lowering/goal post moving being done by the fanboys across the internet doesn't send a good message.

If I'm PD then why would I put forth the effort to get the next game locked at 60FPS or eliminate tearing or have a car count that doesn't have huge graphical disparities? The opinion around the net seems to be that everyone is fine with the graphical inconsistencies because at least it's pushing more/looks better than Forza!

I also find the higher number of cars on screen and excuses like that (as to why the graphics are inconsistent) quite comical. Considering last generation it didn't matter that Forza 1 was pushing a more advanced physics engine, damage, etc... It wasn't a locked 60FPS, and according to the majority of the people who were hating on the game, a locked 60FPS was the most vital thing. That's not even getting into things like screen tearing or a disappointing car count (Compared to past games in the series) when you exclude the standard cars, which a lot of console warriors seem to be doing ATM.

Maybe I just shouldn't have bought into all the Kaz hype with hyperbole like "He won't do damage until he can do it perfectly!" Obviously if that were the case then this game wouldn't have been released. For more than one reason.

theignoramus said:
:lol I know eh? Too bad you only see the real "premiums" in the menus and at the intro of a race.

there are no "premium" cars in forza, there are just cars. I don't think you're really helping your cause by trying to make that distinction...

les papillons sexuels said:
there are no "premium" cars in forza, there are just cars. I don't think you're really helping your cause by trying to make that distinction...
Fair enough.
But I still havnt found the cars built with 10x the number of polygons as Forza 2 models.

That GT5 HUD is hideous. Looks like something a junior designer would make for Powerpoint :lol

But seriously, it seems like both have their equal share of pros/cons, and racing fans should be happy.

Top Bottom