• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Reviews
Game Rankings
Forza 3: 92%
GT5: 88%

Meta Critic
Forza 3: 92
GT5: 86

Head-to-Head Comparisons
NowGamer: Forza 3
4Players: Tied*

Technical Analysis
Lens of Truth said:
Our analyzer recorded that Forza 3 had a much more stable frame rate throughout. As seen in the video, it’s clear that Gran Turismo 5 was having difficulties maintaining it’s projected 60 FPS, while Forza 3 was locked at a perfect 60 FPS throughout. In addition to the fluctuating frame rate, Gran Turismo 5 screen tore 20% more than Forza 3 did.

Physics
TBD.

*tied for now but remaining categories will probably give the win to Forza 3.

Please point to any that you find.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So what's the backlash going to be like here if a review from a site dedicated to sim racers gives GT5 a less than excellent score for physics, handling, realism, etc?

Equus Bellator Apex

RSTEIN said:
Reviews
Game Rankings
Forza 3: 92%
GT5: 88%

Meta Critic
Forza 3: 92
GT5: 86

Head-to-Head Comparisons
NowGamer: Forza 3
4Players: Tied*

Technical Analysis

Physics
TBD.

*tied for now but remaining categories will probably give the win to Forza 3.

Please point to any that you find.

Needs more semen samples...

a1m

Banned
LordPhoque said:
[]http://i55.tinypic.com/2akl837.png[/IMG]

On a more serious note, I like how the GT crowd always try to downplay whoever critizices the game. Not complaint can be valid except if it's praising the game and saying it's better than FM3. The rest must be false and the result of ignorance.
Go away.

The online Karting session I just had was probably more fun than my whole time with Forza 3. The value of GT5 is insane! Honestly, if you have a PS3 and have the slightest interest in racing games there is no way around this game. People without PS3s should either buy one or continue spreading the love in this thread! :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lion Heart said:
None of them are this arrogant.
Erm, did you miss the poster who got his name changed to worldstiniestpenis because of the GT5 nonsense going on right now? :lol

Lion Heart said:
:lol "Gt fanboys, GT crowd, PS3 blah blah"

None of them are this arrogant.

Why u mad though ?
Just stating the truth, look at the first post of this page.

Anyway, weren't some people saying GT5's standard cars had better modelling than Forza's ?

101125063252832950.jpg

10112506331951547.jpg

101125123346490298.jpg

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
LordPhoque said:
Why u mad though ?

Don't suck me into this fanboy nonsense. I'm just trying to aggregate everything.

Trickster

a1m said:

You want him to go away for what exactly? Saying the truth? I can't remember ever seeing fans of a game be so quick and persistent in ignoring/attacking/downplaying valid criticisms people have had with the game.

Paracelsus

XiaNaphryz said:
Erm, did you miss the poster who got his name changed to worldstiniestpenis because of the GT5 nonsense going on right now? :lol

The complaints that led to the provocation and then the nick change are nothing compared to what the real issues with the game are, honestly.

RSTEIN said:
Don't suck me into this fanboy nonsense. I'm just trying to aggregate everything.

I'm just saying, 2 weeks ago people were saying GT5 had no competition, etc. Now the same people are saying it's still true... come on lol. Who's being arrogant ?

Piggus

So glad I'm not taking this thread too seriously and reading it more for the lols.

Some of the comparisons and conclusions in here are just plain fucking idiotic.

FORZAS BETTA BCUZ OF THE SHADOWS. OMG ZOOMED IN PIX OF STANDARD CARZ. FORZA WINS!

How about people get off the fucking internet and play both games for a change.

I HAVE played both, and what's important to me is FUN and the feel of driving. To me, GT5 does both those things much better. Kinda pathetic that the handling comparison is even brought up when Forza doesn't allow you to turn off active steering. I don't give a fuck about drawing dicks on my car for the world to see either. For people who spend hours livering up your car, more power to you but that's not what racing games are about. To me, Forza feels like a game where the devs said "k here's a bunch of popular cars now let's use our big ass scanner, make a pretty good physics engine, and since this is Xbox we need a good online system." They succeeded in that. But where is the actual passion for cars and driving? In GT is actually feels like PD put their heart and soul into the game rather than just a ton of money. There are certainly mistakes and things that will need to be fixed but that doesn't take away from driving experience the game can provide. Driving a Shelby Cobra in the rain with NO assists is one hell of a challenge and unlike anything Forza has to offer. I admire Forza for being a polished, good game. But that doesn't necessarily make it more fun to play unless you're someone who's too nitpicky to play games with issues most people find insignificant.

Ashes

Banned
Trickster said:
You want him to go away for what exactly? Saying the truth? I can't remember ever seeing fans of a game be so quick and persistent in ignoring/attacking/downplaying valid criticisms people have had with the game.

With all due respect, the very reason for this thread's existence, is forza fans trolling in the Gran Turismo thread, right? So much so that... never mind. Circles, repetition, etc...
We really need a faq...

edit:
hopefully, some people see what I did there, and not 'correct' me.... :p

Shaneus

jakonovski said:
Oh god, friends should not let car model designer friends do facial animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0UI2AfEFc
Before I clicked on that link, I thought "I bet he's talking about the intro to the Nascar part of the game" :lol Hopefully they didn't botch any potential intro with The Stig ;)

Anyone want to point me in the direction of all these PC gamers who are praising GT5's physics and comparing them to LFS and rFactor? I've subscribed to the GT5 thread and read majority of the big-name reviews and haven't read one single comment from one of these deities of simulated physics.

jett

D-Member
Some of the textures and overall modeling in some standards cars is so poor I wonder if they weren't originally GT2 models imported into GT3/4. :lol

Chrange

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
With all due respect, the very reason for this thread's existence, is forza fans trolling in the Gran Turismo thread, right? So much so that... never mind. Circles, repetition, etc...
We really need a faq...
Yeah, there were never any GT fans in the Forza thread. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jakonovski said:
I still can't believe how people are having fits of rage over each and every criticism of GT5, or even someone merely saying some part of GT5 is good but they think Forza 3 handles things better.
I couldn't have said it better. Apologists need to understand were not saying its a bad package of a game, just that Forza does some things better. And if you happen to value those things higher, like personalization, single player, and community integration, you may just find Forza the superior game. Likewise if you value the inclusion of an astounding amount of different race disciplines, weather/day/night, and photography, you'll probably find GT the superior game. The choice is ofcourse subjective at the end of the day.

If anything, GT is the inferior game because of some of the irrational fans who are willing to go as far as they have in this thread. :lol This is like, the complete inverse of this thread when Forza 3 came out.

LordPhoque said:
I'm just saying, 2 weeks ago people were saying GT5 had no competition, etc. Now the same people are saying it's still true... come on lol. Who's being arrogant ?

What has changed in 2 weeks though? We knew it had 800 standard cars that looked like poop back than, no livery/auction house, but thats not why people were calling GT5 definitive. Actually, the physics in GT5 has probably exceeded peoples expectations. What we are finding out in this thread is that some people have different priorities in a racing sim, and things like livery editor/auction house might be more important to people than some of GTs offerings. And thats fine, but all of these debates could have been made before GT was even released.

LordPhoque said:
So I'm a joke because I'm saying FM3 will be recognized as the best game in a month ?
Okay.

And the only thing I posted in the OT yesterday was a video showing damages at level 13. So much trolling !

Pretty sure he's referring to your AW defense initiative. Well, one things straight, you definitely like lower-res games. :lol

Lion Heart said:
What has changed in 2 weeks though? We knew it had 800 standard cars that looked like poop back than, no livery/auction house, but thats not why people were calling GT5 definitive. Actually, the physics in GT5 has probably exceeded peoples expectations. What we are finding out in this thread is that some people have different priorities in a racing sim, and things like livery editor/auction house might be more important to people than some of GTs offerings. And thats fine, but all of these debates could have been made before GT was even released.

No, people were calling it definitive because of the weather, the damages, the graphics, and all of that stuff which turned out to be pretty inconsistent. And yes physics are apparently much better than expected, but everything else seems to be sub-par.

Mindlog

Piggus said:
So glad I'm not taking this thread too seriously and reading it more for the lols.

Some of the comparisons and conclusions in here are just plain fucking idiotic.

FORZAS BETTA BCUZ OF THE SHADOWS. OMG ZOOMED IN PIX OF STANDARD CARZ. FORZA WINS!

How about people get off the fucking internet and play both games for a change.

I HAVE played both, and what's important to me is FUN and the feel of driving. To me, GT5 does both those things much better. Kinda pathetic that the handling comparison is even brought up when Forza doesn't allow you to turn off active steering. I don't give a fuck about drawing dicks on my car for the world to see either. For people who spend hours livering up your car, more power to you but that's not what racing games are about. To me, Forza feels like a game where the devs said "k here's a bunch of popular cars now let's use our big ass scanner, make a pretty good physics engine, and since this is Xbox we need a good online system." They succeeded in that. But where is the actual passion for cars and driving? In GT is actually feels like PD put their heart and soul into the game rather than just a ton of money. There are certainly mistakes and things that will need to be fixed but that doesn't take away from driving experience the game can provide. Driving a Shelby Cobra in the rain with NO assists is one hell of a challenge and unlike anything Forza has to offer. I admire Forza for being a polished, good game. But that doesn't necessarily make it more fun to play unless you're someone who's too nitpicky to play games with issues most people find insignificant.

To the casual observer it sounds like you took the thread pretty seriously.

ghst said:
if only there was a decent quota of vocal iracing fanatics on gaf to come and put this thread to bed.

It's so obvious that it's not necessary.

Darklord

Banned
LordPhoque said:
Why u mad though ?

Anyway, weren't some people saying GT5's standard cars had better modelling than Forza's ?

101125063252832950.jpg

What the fuck is THAT? Please tell me that's not from GT5. No way.

Lagspike_exe said:
Do you really want them to waste time on Suzuki and VW Lupo?

See, I don't understand this. Different cars mean different things to different people - that is why the wide variety of cars on offer in GT makes a lot of driving fans happy. I'm sure somewhere there are Suzuki owners who would gladly trade the interior of a McLaren F1 just to drive their own car in the game with a good level of detail. PD shouldn't place any importance on any car. We may as well play Need For Speed 17: Hyper Exotica Edition if the focus is just going to be on sports cars.

Gowans

I Iove reading this thread but haven't been posting to get dragged in it but just out of curiosity who has played both here?

/raises hand.

Gowans007 said:
I Iove reading this thread but haven't been posting to get dragged in it but just out of curiosity who has played both here?

/raises hand.

Shamefully no. Steam sales are siphoning my wallet dry.

Piggus

Mindlog said:
To the casual observer it sounds like you took the thread pretty seriously.

It's so obvious that it's not necessary.

Having an opinion on the thread =/= Engaging in discussion about about LOD model geometry detail, shadow resolution, and other insignificant crap.

LordPhoque said:
No, people were calling it definitive because of the weather, the damages, the graphics, and all of that stuff which turned out to be pretty inconsistent. And yes physics are apparently much better than expected, but everything else seems to be sub-par.

I haven't tried weather so I can't comment but the graphics are still the best in the genre. Damage gets progressively better (odd but nonetheless) and will probably be patched Saturday for the option to turn it on sooner. Seems like a lot of critics dont realize that damage gets unlocked later. If you conceded that GT was "definite" 2 weeks ago, I don't see why you would change your mind now. Even though both are console sims, they don't do much the same, so you are contrasting more than you are comparing and therefore its harder to evaluate a true winner imo.

Arnie

Gowans007 said:

/raises hand.
Raises hand. I think GT5 is an inconsistent mess with a decent (vastly improved) handling model (over Prologue).

I NEED SCISSORS said:
See, I don't understand this. Different cars mean different things to different people - that is why the wide variety of cars on offer in GT makes a lot of driving fans happy. I'm sure somewhere there are Suzuki owners who would gladly trade the interior of a McLaren F1 just to drive their own car in the game with a good level of detail. PD shouldn't place any importance on any car. We may as well play Need For Speed 17: Hyper Exotica Edition if the focus is just going to be on sports cars.

Wrong. Some cars deserve a tribute in the form of premium model much more than others. VW Lupo and that Suzuki aren't one of them. There are priorities and the premium-deserved list above those 2 cars is very, very long.

Top Bottom