• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

DodgerSan

Fm3 can look bad at times. GT5 can look much worse.
Fm3 can look pretty at times. GT5 can look much better.

What eso76 says pretty much sums it up for me so far, bearing in mind I'm only a couple of hours in to GT5.

The AI is pretty shocking though. They seem glued to the racing line and hardly even know you're there. It's not uncommon for them to try and overtake by simply slamming into the back of you, so slavishly do they stick to that line.

The Shift

Banned
dark10x said:
I know, I know.

I've come to realize that I just prefer those arcade-sim hybrid games (which I believe PGR to be) over straight sims. Thus far, GT5 is pretty interesting and I'm getting more out of it this time due to my increased love of cars, but without a wheel, it's less fun. I simply don't know if I want to invest in a wheel (what are the best options anyways?).

If I had a wheel, I think I could probably get into it much more.

Out of PGR4, TDU, Dirt and F3 I found PGR4 to be surprisingly good if not great with a wheel. Didn't really expect that to happen but a few people I play racing games with came to the same conclusion. That was after playing F3 for quite some time too. Just feels really good in that game almost as if it was made for it(speaking of dodgy MS wheel here though)

DeadGzuz

Banned
LordPhoque said:
Pretty obvious that in 1 month we'll all agree that FM3 is the better game.

That's what you guys want to believe, but the opposite is much more likely. The rushed reviews will look silly in a month when more and more people actually experience the content and appreciate the less tangible stuff. FM3 had its fan fall away pretty fast as they all spoke of how much better FM2 did almost everything, GT5 will probably just gather more and more respect as time goes on. But keep fighting the war, RSTEIN needs a wingman.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmmm the Logitech DFGT is going for 33% off on Amazon. Might have to consider that.

How many games does it work with? Seems like I could use it on my PC or PS3. No 360 support, huh (thanks MS).

Is it a good wheel? I would love to have a gearbox and clutch, but the G27 is way too pricey. This seems like it would be good enough.

Oh yes, and hard evidence on performance boosts from using 720p over 1080p? I tried it myself and it appeared to run a bit smoother in 720p (less tearing), but I'd like to know just how much better it really is as it's difficult to judge and time consuming to switch between the two. 1080p definitely looks much nicer overall, though.

dark10x said:
Hmmm the Logitech DFGT is going for 33% off on Amazon. Might have to consider that.

How many games does it work with? Seems like I could use it on my PC or PS3. No 360 support, huh (thanks MS).

Is it a good wheel? I would love to have a gearbox and clutch, but the G27 is way too pricey. This seems like it would be good enough.

Oh yes, and hard evidence on performance boosts from using 720p over 1080p? I tried it myself and it appeared to run a bit smoother in 720p (less tearing), but I'd like to know just how much better it really is as it's difficult to judge and time consuming to switch between the two. 1080p definitely looks much nicer overall, though.

Just buy the wheel, it's so worth it for this game. GT5 force feedback is absolutely perfect. It works with a lot of racing games. (e.g. Dirt 2 has really nice wheel support too)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
SmokyDave said:
I don't get why PGR4 keeps coming up. It's a great arcade racer but if you're into sims then it doesn't hold a candle to GT4 & Forza 2, let alone GT5 & Forza 3.

Test Drive Unlimited > *

tdu was terribad

RSTEIN said:
No, I'm not arguing anything. I'm evaluating the data as it comes out. All this talk about graphics, features (e.g. Karts vs. Livery Editor or whatever), 'feel', etc. is ALL subjective.

The only thing we can compare is the stuff that can be quantified. The aggregate opinion of the world is quantified through the review scores. This is far from perfect. But the world's critics have spoken: Forza 3 is better. I'm not arguing that. It's a data point. 92% vs. 88%.

Now that we have that established, we can move on. What are some of the interesting technical stuff we can quantify?

- framerate
- physics
- tearing
- polygons per car
- resolution
- etc.

This is starting to trickle in. Forza 3 has a better framerate and no tearing. I'm not arguing that. Again, it's an objective test that I'm pointing to.

Hopefully someone can do a comprehensive analysis of the physics. Given the impressions I suspect that GT5 will win that hands down. I'm going to celebrate that, not use it to kick Forza 3 in the teeth.

Next what we can do is post DIRECT SCREEN GRABS from the same points on the same tracks with nearly the same lighting conditions to evaluate the cars, backgrounds, etc. I've only seen this done with Laguna Seca and again the conclusion is that Forza 3 has a more impressive background. I'm not arguing it. It's a screen grab. It is what it is.

Comparing metacritic scores is tricky business.

KZ2, Crysis and Halo Reach have the same score. Would you agree that they are roughly the same in quality?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Lagspike_exe said:
Comparing metacritic scores is tricky business.

KZ2, Crysis and Halo Reach have the same score. Would you agree that they are roughly the same in quality?

Like I said earlier, it's pretty bogus. But it's all we got. This is a comparison thread. As such we need to compare and contrast the two games in as many ways as possible. The review score is one data point. The issue is that we have all these authority figures and zealots flying around here so I'm just trying to cut out the bullshit.

In my mind, we need:

1) Review score comparison. Check.
2) Technical analysis. Starting to trickle in.
3) Direct screen grab comparison of the same cars on the same points of each track. Starting to trickle in.

I can't think of a better way. It beats the ZOMG! Forza is better!!!! approach.

RSTEIN

DeadGzuz said:
But keep fighting the war, RSTEIN needs a wingman.
Wingman? What are you talking about? I'm on no missio here. If GT5 proves to be better then I will salute it.

I'm just a video game slut. When Unreal became better than Quake, I switched. When Call of Duty became better than Halo, I switched. When the PS2 proved to be better than the Dreamcast, I switched. When the 360 proved to be better than the PS2, I switched. When Gran Turismo proved to be better than anything, I bought it. When Forza 2/3 proved to be better than Gran Turismo 4, I switched.

Edit: I don't know how this became two posts.

RSTEIN said:
Like I said earlier, it's pretty bogus. But it's all we got. This is a comparison thread. As such we need to compare and contrast the two games in as many ways as possible. The review score is one data point. The issue is that we have all these authority figures and zealots flying around here so I'm just trying to cut out the bullshit.

In my mind, we need:

1) Review score comparison. Check.
2) Technical analysis. Starting to trickle in.
3) Direct screen grab comparison of the same cars on the same points of each track. Starting to trickle in.

I can't think of a better way. It beats the ZOMG! Forza is better!!!! approach.

I'm sorry, but these don't really completely show-off graphical quality of the game. How come you don't need a direct feed video of the same cars on the same points of each track? Wouldn't that paint a much more realistic picture of Forza's and GT's graphical strength?

RSTEIN

Lagspike_exe said:
How come you don't need a direct feed video of the same cars on the same points of each track? Wouldn't that paint a much more realistic picture of Forza's and GT's graphical strength?

That would be awesome, too! That would be much better but we gotta start somewhere. I just figured it would be easier to start with grabs than full blown video.

SmokyDave

RSTEIN said:
Wingman? What are you talking about? I'm on no missio here. If GT5 proves to be better then I will salute it.

I'm just a video game slut. When Unreal became better than Quake, I switched. When Call of Duty became better than Halo, I switched. When the PS2 proved to be better than the Dreamcast, I switched. When the 360 proved to be better than the PS2, I switched. When Gran Turismo proved to be better than anything, I bought it. When Forza 2/3 proved to be better than Gran Turismo 4, I switched.
You don't seem like you intend to 'switch' in this instance and given that, you seem to be putting an awful lot of work into figuring out which game is 'best', for no real reason.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
schennmu said:
Just buy the wheel, it's so worth it for this game. GT5 force feedback is absolutely perfect.
I find it hard to believe that a lower-end wheel would have perfect FFB in comparison to something like the G27 or Fanatec line.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
can someone link me to the leguna seca comparison shot? went back several pages and couldnt find it.

beast786

RSTEIN said:
Like I said earlier, it's pretty bogus. But it's all we got. This is a comparison thread. As such we need to compare and contrast the two games in as many ways as possible. The review score is one data point. .

we dont even have the full sample of GT5 scores yet. Not that I am saying it will get better or worse. But the sample pool of GT5 scores in Met is roughly 13 vs 90 of Forza.

XiaNaphryz said:
I find it hard to believe that a lower-end wheel would have perfect FFB in comparison to something like the G27 or Fanatec line.

I'm using an old Driving Force GT4 wheel and it's top notch. GT5 wheel FFB will be even better I assume. G25/27 is for the hardcore only.

antiloop

schennmu said:
Seeing the two games run side by side shows what a HUGE difference the lighting, car shaders and AA difference in GT5 make. A lot of the bad captures in this thread do not properly show the lighting engine. Also the road texture in Forza looks kinda rough but that might be a problem with that specific track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXONhFOrkg&feature=email&email=comment_reply_received

It's really hard to find something that Forza does better in that video.

Lothars

RSTEIN said:

Edit: I don't know how this became two posts.

But alot of that is preference such as Call of Duty to Halo or Unreal to Quake, both of those are more preference than truth, not one is better than the other.

XiaNaphryz

schennmu said:
I'm using an old Driving Force GT4 wheel and it's top notch.
You'll be amazed at what a G27 or a Fanatec 911TS especially can do then. It's like night and day.

antiloop said:

Beside less screen tearing, constant frame rate and no weird shadows artifacts?

Edit : Also, no need to unlock damages in Forza. And it's on every cars, IIRC.

schennmu said:
Seeing the two games run side by side shows what a HUGE difference the lighting, car shaders and AA difference in GT5 make. A lot of the bad captures in this thread do not properly show the lighting engine. Also the road texture in Forza looks kinda rough but that might be a problem with that specific track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXONhFOrkg&feature=email&email=comment_reply_received
Always a bad driver in these kinds of videos, annoying to no end :lol

Gameplay seems to be the least important aspect for a racing simulation to GT fans. They should have just saved themselves 5 years and released a photomode of really hi res car models.

Imagine booting up a game and realizing 80% of the cars are from the psp and have no cockpit. :lol

Ashes

Banned
FirstInHell said:
Gameplay seems to be the least important aspect for a racing simulation to GT fans. They should have just saved themselves 5 years and released a photomode of really hi res car models.

Imagine booting up a game and realizing 80% of the cars are from the psp and have no cockpit. :lol

You say 80% lacking, I say 800 cars bonus. You say psp, I say.... wait a minute.. you're dissing forza there? why you sly little fox you....

eso76

Maastricht said:
Pretty reasonable, I agree, certainly against the background of this thread ;).

The Photo-Mode I don't fully agree with though - when you pause the game, it's just one button away from Photo-Mode, and then you can walk all around the Nurburgring on foot to take a position, and then another button to bring the camera up.

I thought you can't take pics during a race, but only during replays, which makes the process a little slower than i'd like, especially since you can't fast forward nor rewind replays, which makes snapping a pic at the right time a lot trickier.
What if you want to capture that spectacular something that happened 14th laps into the race...
Even worse, what if you sit through the whole replay waiting for that moment and when it finally does come up you miss it ? Not being able to rewind is a pretty big issue for 'action-photographers' :)

Anyway, can you really pause and take pics while racing ? maybe i just missed the button, then.

Just an observation: some of you are laying praise on GT5 because of your experiences with your expensive wheels. If I've found anythin to be true, it's that the quality of your wheel directly impacts your enjoyment of your racing sim.

I found the MS wheel to be rather mediocre (in fact, i returned mine after a fee disappointing days) and well behind the better Logitech offerings... which themselves are a step behind the Fanatec offerings. So I wonder if some of the wonderment your finding in your experiences should result in praise for your wheel's manufacturer rather than the games? Because the wheel scene is not an even playing field.

cbox

Some things piss me off about GT5, how I can't rotate the view around my car when driving, or how the lobby system doesn't allow me to invite friends ala live (unless I'm a moron, new to this ps3 thing).

Also photo mode doesn't save my settings and some of the shutter settings and fstops don't act as they do in the real world. All in all, i'm only a few hours into it but so far it seems a bit rushed in areas. The rain looks pretty bad compared to other games and the track detail is very inconsistent. It's almost as if the PD team didn't play any other racing games in the last few years because some aspects of the game just feel old, like not being able to pause the game to change music settings, controller, photomode, etc.....

I'll hold my judgement till I play the game more, but so far I still thing F3 is the better sim despite the oddities and shortcomings of that game. Most importantly, if you love cars, you have two great games to play.

RSTEIN

SmokyDave said:
You don't seem like you intend to 'switch' in this instance and given that, you seem to be putting an awful lot of work into figuring out which game is 'best', for no real reason.

No, won't be switching in this case. I got rid of Forza 3 a long time ago. Got bored with single player and found playing online very frustrating. So I have nothing to swtich from.

antiloop said:
Yeah, GT5's lighting is too much for Forza 3 to handle. I think the only thing that could be said is the background is better. I'd say the actual car models are the same but the lighting destroys Forza 3.

Wazzim

Banned
FirstInHell said:

You: :lol
Everybody who actually plays GT5: Win

beast786

eternal prize said:
Some things piss me off about GT5, how I can't rotate the view around my car when driving, or how the lobby system doesn't allow me to invite friends ala live (unless I'm a moron, new to this ps3 thing).

Also photo mode doesn't save my settings and some of the shutter settings and fstops don't act as they do in the real world. All in all, i'm only a few hours into it but so far it seems a bit rushed in areas. The rain looks pretty bad compared to other games and the track detail is very inconsistent. It's almost as if the PD team didn't play any other racing games in the last few years because some aspects of the game just feel old, like not being able to pause the game to change music settings, controller, photomode, etc.....

I'll hold my judgement till I play the game more, but so far I still thing F3 is the better sim despite the oddities and shortcomings of that game. Most importantly, if you love cars, you have two great games to play.

You should post these quesitons in the OT of GT5, many of your questions will be answered.

Ashes

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Just an observation: some of you are laying praise on GT5 because of your experiences with your expensive wheels. If I've found anythin to be true, it's that the quality of your wheel directly impacts your enjoyment of your racing sim.

I found the MS wheel to be rather mediocre (in fact, i returned mine after a fee disappointing days) and well behind the better Logitech offerings... which themselves are a step behind the Fanatec offerings. So I wonder if some of the wonderment your finding in your experiences should result in praise for your wheel's manufacturer rather than the games? Because the wheel scene is not an even playing field.

So gt5 gets the better wheels, I see that as a direct advantage as well. It gets the better core tech support, supporting more wheels and better ingrained support for the wheels functions per say.

Regardless, I don't think it's just the wheels, some of the pc players, who play games with official G25/27 support are rating the gt physics model as well.

And actually, I think fanatec wheels are supported in forza 3. Someone will come along and correct me. One further thing, I don't actually agree that fanatec>logitech 100% when everything like price/value/quality etc is taken into account.

Broman1978

I´m kinda curious how Forza 3 would have turned out if Turn 10 would release the game at the same time as GT5..
I wonder how much that could have been improved with 1 more year in development :)

eternal prize said:

Almost everything you said has nothing to do with the simulation of motorsport.:lol

Yoritomo

Maybe it's because I'm playing in 1080p but there's this weird self shadowing when it does the pre-race fly bys in GT5. The shadows are REALLY REALLY low resolution and it's distracting. The cockpit view also has far fewer polygons while racing than Forza. Combine that with super low res shadows playing across the cockpit and the damned gauges are basically illegible.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm surprised no one is discussing content as a measure of comparison. To me the amount of experiences I can have with a game makes a very big difference.

kevm3

FirstInHell said:

Gameplay is easily the best aspect of GT5.

DodgerSan

theignoramus said:
Almost everything you said has nothing to do with the simulation of motorsport.:lol

No but all the niggling little things serve to annoy when you're doing everything else other than racing. That may be 1% of the time you spend, it might be more, but it still detracts from the overall experience of the product as a whole.

kevm3 said:
Gameplay is easily the best aspect of GT5.

Yes, and one of the least discussed. The handling model is just astonishing. It says volumes that the game is getting a lot of praise from the PC sim crowd.

That said, I can't wait for someone else to type "lol standard cars". That point definitely hasn't been run into the ground yet.

XiaNaphryz

Ashes1396 said:
One further thing, I don't actually agree that fanatec>logitech 100% when everything like price/value/quality etc is taken into account.
Given how the price difference between the two isn't all that big from the G27 to the Fanatec wheels, and the build materials used for the Fanatec stuff, I'd disagree. Most of the comparison reviews I've read over the past year or two from sim-focused sites typically give the edge to the Fanatecs as well.

You only see a real price jump if you go with the clubsport pedals which can cost almost as much as a wheel by itself, but again in that case you're getting awesome pedals that would normally be only seen in the $500+ price range.

cbox

theignoramus said:

Both games are solid in that regard, as they both feel great when you drive. As others have said though, you don't just drive in a sim, everything else comes together to form a package.

Yoritomo

XiaNaphryz said:
Given how the price difference between the two isn't all that big from the G27 to the Fanatec wheels, and the build materials used for the Fanatec stuff, I'd disagree. Most of the comparison reviews I've read over the past year or two from sim-focused sites typically give the edge to the Fanatecs as well.

You only see a real price jump if you go with the clubsport pedals which can cost almost as much as a wheel by itself, but again in that case you're getting awesome pedals that would normally be only seen in the $500+ price range.

And the clubsports are totally worth it. I'm loving using my PWTS with GT5. The best part of the Fanatec wheels is the adjustable rotation, linearity, deadzone, spring rate, damper, motor assist, and force feedback, all on the wheel itself.

And I also agree with other posters. The FFB and handling in GT5 are the best part. Better than Forza easily.

Ashes

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:

I see your point. But I bought a G25, when they were on stock for £99. :D

Top Bottom