• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

mil6es

around 150 and they dont delegate work to other companies, its all in house but still they have created a good core game its just how you access it thats the problem

Mr_Brit

Banned
mil6es said:
around 150 and they dont delegate work to other companies, its all in house but still they have created a good core game its just how you access it thats the problem
Damn, that's a lot more than I'd thought. I thought they were like Remedy sized e.g. around 40 people. What exactly were they all doing these past years? Does anyone know if they scrapped the game and started over again at any point during development as that could be a reason.

mil6es

Mr_Brit said:
Damn, that's a lot more than I'd thought. I thought they were like Remedy sized e.g. around 40 people. What exactly were they all doing these past years? Does anyone know if they scrapped the game and started over again at any point during development as that could be a reason.

yes thats exactly what they did........

Ashes

Banned
Mr_Brit said:

We should have a faq for this thread. Some much repetition. So very many cycles.

skyfinch

schennmu said:
Seeing the two games run side by side shows what a HUGE difference the lighting, car shaders and AA difference in GT5 make. A lot of the bad captures in this thread do not properly show the lighting engine. Also the road texture in Forza looks kinda rough but that might be a problem with that specific track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXONhFOrkg&feature=email&email=comment_reply_received

The road texture is forza receives a subtle motion blur when you pick up speed.

skybaby

eternal prize said:
Some things piss me off about GT5, how I can't rotate the view around my car when driving, or how the lobby system doesn't allow me to invite friends ala live (unless I'm a moron, new to this ps3 thing).
Get on with the times GT!

Insertia

Shaneus said:
Really? As someone who's hardly played a GT game before, the menus are fucking confusing and the amount of setting up before you can race is bullshit. Oh, I can choose my race outfit but I can't change it down the track? I have to write a message for when people visit my page... why? There's so much shit that it just assumes you know it's not funny. The menus in Forza 3 are so much easier to navigate.

The in-game stuff is fine (though the lack of mid-race options is strange) but to call this the new template is rubbish. If anything, it's shown that there's no such thing as a guaranteed legacy in videogames. You rest on your laurels or you neglect one part of your overall package and another contender *will* catch up.

The fact that we're continuing this debate after GT5 has been released says a lot.

No, actually it says nothing at all..

This debate is nothing new(this happens with every GT release) and it is actually the most civil of any Gran Tourismo title. Yes, civil.

GT as a series has always been scrutinized by online communities. It's kind of tradition, and seeing the tradition evolve is very cool. GT2 faced the most backlash of them all.

Test Drive Le Mans:
lemans_1206_screen015.jpg

SEGA GT:
SegaGT_screen006.jpg

Those were compared a lot more heavily to GT2 than Shift and Forza are to GT5. EVeryone wants there fave sim racer to compare to the largest and most popular of them all. Each release of GT proves that.
Everyone loves to go for GT's spot. It's a unusually high quality title, exclusive to Playstation, that sells to more than the idiot casual base

mil6es

Suzzopher said:
Sorry if old but I'll just leave this here and back away.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1094/gran-turismo-5-vs-forza-3

what have you done man!!!!!

EDIT

Handling
This is a tough one, since many will prefer Forza’s bumpy rides while others will enjoy the keen line management of Gran Turismo 5.

The key point is damage, which is far more effective in Forza, and practically non-existent in Gran Turismo 5. In Forza 3, damage will actually alter how a vehicle is driven, while in Gran Turismo 5, it’s entirely possible to use your rivals as barriers to prevent oversteer.

Forza 3 requires strategic timing to bypass your enemies safely, whereas Gran Turismo demands keen knowledge of braking spots as you approach a bend. It’s mostly a preferential vote, since the handling of both games is impeccably monitored. However, this round goes to Forza 3.
The winner: Forza 3

whats damage got to do with handling?????

mil6es

Cerebral Assassin said:
When a car only has 3 wheels, handling is likely to be affected, no?

well the point I was making was "handling" and "damage" should of been in different categories if he was doing a good comparison, instead its vague as hell

ElNino

mil6es said:
whats damage got to do with handling?????
Within the context it is given... everything. In Forza you can't "bumper car" your way through the pack because of the damage modelling (at least not as easily as you can in GT).

mil6es

Let me quote myself for the people hard of seeing

mil6es said:
well the point I was making was "handling" and "damage" should of been in different categories if he was doing a good comparison, instead its vague as hell

Suzzopher said:
Sorry if old but I'll just leave this here and back away.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1094/gran-turismo-5-vs-forza-3

Good article.

I think GT5 is the way to go if you really want some graphical eye-candy - even if it is inconsistent. As far as gameplay, Forza 3 is the way to go. And for features, Forza 3 probably just edges out GT5.

Either way, they're both so close to each other in terms of quality, that you really should own both even if Forza is the better overall game.

jett

D-Member
mentalfloss said:
Good article.

I think GT5 is the way to go if you really want some graphical eye-candy - even if it is inconsistent. As far as gameplay, Forza 3 is the way to go. And for features, Forza 3 probably just edges out GT5.

Either way, they're both so close to each other in terms of quality, that you really should own both even if Forza is the better overall game.

huh

Cobra84

mil6es said:
What is the point of having a good handling car or realistic handling when I can just bumper car around every turn?

Considering GT5 replicates the real-life counterpart of the cars better than any other game handling should have obviously gone to GT.

That is the fucking elephant in the room when anyone talks about the driving in GT5 versus other games. All the reviewers break down handling to "what's fun" "how does it feel", GT perfects the real experience. In Gran Turismo you are driving a digital representation of the vehicle, in any other computer game you are driving a game developer's interpretation.

Nowgamer said:
However, most of Gran Turismo 5’s additional features are fairly shallow, especially B-Spec which allows little more than commanding your driver to increase, decrease or maintain speed or to take over.

For sheer love of cars, which is as much a focus of Gran Turismo, Forza 3 wins by giving players the choice of custom liveries – to a highly detailed degree – making your favourite vehicle all the more specific to you and outweights anything Polyphony Digital’s title can provide.
The winner: Forza 3
:lol :lol
Liveries>GT5's dirt, snow, wet roads and rally. I played FM3 to level 50, did a few more events, then quit cause I was bored out of my mind. I wish Forza's extras were as compelling as Nowgamer claims. I spent more time with the auction house and after-market shop than I did with liveries. I didnt invest in the game to explore my artistic side, I came to race automobiles.

tzare

kevm3 said:
Forza is the better overall game according to who?
people who like forza? :D

man, this thread is awesome, i'm sure mosto people bitching about either game has only one (or any) of both :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
I just watched the LoT head to head video. Two notes, first why did the cars hit the driver at 1:20 in FM3 and continue to push him down the road? I thought it had great AI? Do super car drivers typcially just slam into other cars and push them? I also noticed most of the torn frames in GT5 were at the top and bottom of the screen, this is very important. DF describes this as soft v-sync when the 360 does it. I bet it will not be spun so positive when they do their typical hit job on GT5.

Ashes

Banned
mentalfloss said:
Good article.

Messy article.

I think forza 3 is the way to go if you want a stable framerate, and eyecandy across the range of the cars -even if there are less than half of Gt5's stable. As far as gameplay, Gt5 is the way to go- from nascar to f1 to go karting, this game has all your driving catered for. and for features GT5 probably just edges out Forza. With upto 16 cars on track, day and night racing, weather, b-spec mode, revamped online etc.

Either way, they're both so close to each other in terms of quality, (except if you're using metacritic, where one (forza) is AAA, and the other is AA (GT5)), that you really should own both, even if GT5 is the better game overall.

LCfiner

In all seriousness in this kooky thread, after having played both now, I really like both of them. they're both great, they both have some issues and they both inspire a whole lot of passion in this forum, which makes me smile. :)

There's things that GT5 does better that F3, the dirt and snow racing, the karts, the insane highs of graphical realism, the weather and time of day changes...

but Forza has more pervasive damage across all difficulty settings, a much better menu system, a more interesting campaign that makes it easier to switch cars and mix things up, plus a more consistent look that never reaches the insane highs of GT5 but never looks as poor as GT5 can look at its worst. I also like rewind (once the reminder popup is disabled)

Let's just say I'm glad i went out and got a fanatec wheel that can work on both consoles. it'd be a shame to only be able to play one of these games with a wheel

LordPhoque said:
FM3 won. Get over it.

That's one mighty argument.

LCfiner said:
In all seriousness in this kooky thread, after having played both now, I really like both of them. they're both great, they both have some issues and they both inspire a whole lot of passion in this forum, which makes me smile. :)

There's things that GT5 does better that F3, the dirt and snow racing, the karts, the insane highs of graphical realism, the weather and time of day changes...

but Forza has more pervasive damage across all difficulty settings, a much better menu system, a more interesting campaign that makes it easier to switch cars and mix things up, plus a more consistent look that never reaches the insane highs of GT5 but never looks as poor as GT5 can look at its worst. I also like rewind (once the reminder popup is disabled)

Let's just say I'm glad i went out and got a fanatec wheel that can work on both consoles. it'd be a shame to only be able to play one of these games with a wheel

Menu system? I've read dozens of comparisons of various games, but I've never actually seen anyone use the menu system as an object of comparison.

You got the Fanatect part right, though. :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wow, what a stupid article.

For sheer love of cars, which is as much a focus of Gran Turismo, Forza 3 wins by giving players the choice of custom liveries – to a highly detailed degree – making your favourite vehicle all the more specific to you and outweights anything Polyphony Digital’s title can provide.
I mean, come on. :lol

I still can't believe how people are having fits of rage over each and every criticism of GT5, or even someone merely saying some part of GT5 is good but they think Forza 3 handles things better.

XiaNaphryz said:
You'll be amazed at what a G27 or a Fanatec 911TS especially can do then. It's like night and day.

Oh I'm sure, they better be amazing at that price! :lol
My point still stands that the standard Driving Force GT (or whatever it's called) will deliver a great and competitive driving experience to the ambitioned GT5 player. (omg, that sounds like Logitech marketing bullshit!)

Niks

Awesome quote.

LCfiner

Lagspike_exe said:
That's one mighty argument.

Menu system? I've read dozens of comparisons of various games, but I've never actually seen anyone use the menu system as an object of comparison.

You got the Fanatect part right, though. :p

I didn't want to expand too much and get into a big post... but the GT life menu page is a bit cluttered with the different sized panels and it can be a bit confusing to know if you're supposed to tap left or down to get to certain spots. I'm also not a fan of the "right click" menu that pops up when you hit triangle over a car in your garage because there's another menu embedded in there to set as favorite. feels clunky to have a nested menu in a popup menu.

also, when backing out of menus, it's circle, circle, circle, then, oh, you need to hit X cuz your cursor moved to a "my home" button. just make it circle all the way.

it's not a game breaker (duh) but it's not the best possible user experience for a front end. I'm a bit anal about that stuff so that's why i mention it. also, since the game is new and I'm spending a lot of time switching between photo mode, a spec and special events to try everything out, I've been dealing with these menus more than i might normally.

Ashes

Banned
jakonovski said:
I still can't believe how people are having fits of rage over each and every criticism of GT5, or even someone merely saying some part of GT5 is good but they think Forza 3 handles things better.

Some people are being thread specific. I really wouldn't take this thread seriously. or use it as any kind of mesauring stick.

Haunted

LCfiner said:

If you had dared to say something like this two or even one year ago, the GT people would've had your head.

Your head, I say.

2akl837.png

On a more serious note, I like how the GT crowd always try to downplay whoever critizices the game. Not complaint can be valid except if it's praising the game and saying it's better than FM3. The rest must be false and the result of ignorance.

tengiants

What's the wheel support like with Forza 3 now? I play a lot of sim racing games and have the g25 and would like to play Forza with it but last I looked that was impossible... It seems that Microsoft missed a key portion of the market if the already established sim racing community can't play their game without investing in ANOTHER high priced accessory. For me the gameplay in GT5 and Forza won't even be compared because I can't pay for another wheel. Arcade racing games are one thing but I will never play a sim racing game with a dpad or analog stick ever again.

This is subjective but graphics come way after gameplay for me so GT5 wins by default. I wish there was more competition.

Trickster

jakonovski said:

I couldn't even get someone to agree with me about how the pr for GT5 had been pretty damn bad. Wasn't even a criticism of the game, and I still ended up pretty much being called and idiot :lol

LordPhoque said:
On a more serious note, I like how the GT crowd always try to downplay whoever critizices the game. Not complaint can be valid except if it's praising the game and saying it's better than FM3. The rest must be false and the result of ignorance.

Most of the really active GT fans seem to have the "you're either with us or agains't us" mentality.

Top Bottom