• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

skybaby

Anyone who defends standard cars has to be retarded, just like anyone who defends those almost forza2 level cars from f3.
GTSilvia-tm.jpg

But at least those awful looking cars in forza have damage and cockpits...

Yoritomo

XiaNaphryz said:
So what's the backlash going to be like here if a review from a site dedicated to sim racers gives GT5 a less than excellent score for physics, handling, realism, etc?

Well I would disagree but I can see where there are some issues. I think the steering and FFB are top notch. Clutch support is very poor and they added some restrictions to not give clutch users too much of an advantage. Vehicle weight transfer is great. I need to race more in other modes, but overall I'd rather play in GT's racing world than Forza even with the clutch restrictions.

rvy

Banned
acidspunk said:
Did the cars really look like that in GT4? That looks more like something out of GT2. WTF.
Upscaling the textures to a higher resolution probably results in that, I'm guessing.

skybaby

By the way, what's up with damage for those of you who played the game. I keep hearing complaints but dunno what's going on. Is damage like this impossible, not enabled, unlockable or what?
2cx6kw8.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yoritomo said:
Well I would disagree but I can see where there are some issues. I think the steering and FFB are top notch. Clutch support is very poor and they added some restrictions to not give clutch users too much of an advantage. Vehicle weight transfer is great. I need to race more in other modes, but overall I'd rather play in GT's racing world than Forza even with the clutch restrictions.
I was referring more to the types who scoff that any PC sim can be even considered in the same league as a GT game in terms of driving model.

golem

Fortinbras said:
It's horrible. I hope I can avoid these things while playing through the career of GT5. :lol
I was just rubbing with some standard model in a race.. everytime i saw it up close i wanted to put it in a wall. But then i remembered that damage did nothing to it. :lol

tass0

Banned
Welp, it seems GT5 turned out to be an epic failure.

Damnit, I don't Forza either, guess I'll be without "the" simulator this gen.

Oh well, guess I'll start waiting for GT6.

skybaby said:
By the way, what's up with damage for those of you who played the game. I keep hearing complaints but dunno what's going on. Is damage like this impossible, not enabled, unlockable or what?
[IG]http://i33.tinypic.com/2cx6kw8.gif[/IMG]

Unlockable at level 20, I think.

rvy

Banned
skybaby said:
2cx6kw8.gif
Where's the red car?! :lol :lol :lol

kitch9

Banned
After many many hours with Forza and now 9 hours in GT5, I can honestly say my opinion is GT5 pisses all over Forza. The driving is the best of any game I've played, period. I got tired after a couple hours playing Forza and I now realise it was because I never felt 100% in control of the cars with pad, (Active steering maybe?) whereas I've just put a 5 hour stint into GT5 without barely blinking.

Also why does my version of GT5 look nothing like what's in the screenshots that keep getting posted in here?

a1m

Banned
Gowans007 said:
I Iove reading this thread but haven't been posting to get dragged in it but just out of curiosity who has played both here?

/raises hand.
o/

How can you even post here if you haven't played both?

Oh wait, it's funny because most of the haters haven't played GT5. Lulz.

a1m said:
o/

I haven't played forza 3 but I've posted here. ALthough I never claimed one game is better than the other, just giving some of my opinions on GT5.

Vorg

Banned
a1m said:
o/

Oh wait, it's funny because most of the haters haven't played GT5. Lulz.

What are you talking about? This thread is from a time when only one of the games existed. Of course some people haven't played both games.

Blame!

Zombie James said:
Unlockable at level 20, I think.

what does this mean unlockable damage? you can only damage in carer mode or how about arcade?

reading this thread confuses me :lol

im just looking at random photos at gt planet and some are amazing o_O

poortvanahrweiler21280.jpg

Played both, love them for different reasons and both piss me off in one way or another.

tbfh there's not a bad screenshot nor anything someone could say to make me prefer one over the other.

Redbeard

Banned
tass0 said:

Yup, it's a 10/10 driving simulator. What an epic failure.

LCfiner

tass0 said:

Because what this thread needs is more ridiculous hyperbole.

Lothars

tass0 said:

Man your full of it if you think GT5 is an epic failure, it's still a great game and I would recommend for you to play it.

Chinner

Banned
i have no fucking idea whats going on in this thread. so are people just posting shit shots of gt5 or is there just so much content in gt5 that they couldn't quality control on all of it?

duk

Banned
Chinner said:
i have no fucking idea whats going on in this thread. so are people just posting shit shots of gt5 or is there just so much content in gt5 that they couldn't quality control on all of it?

a bit of both, after everyone calms the eff down i think they'll start to actually enjoy GT5

J-Rzez

Shocked on 3 accounts with GT5:

1st: Inconsistancies in the visuals. They go from absolutely mind-blowing to WTF is this Shit/Piccard. One thing overall though that's incredible nearly at all times though is the lighting. They really are untouched with this.

2nd: Sound. The PS3 is hands down the most capable console for audio lovers, and they did not cater to this at all. I mean, it sounds "good" enough, but I'm shocked KY didn't go all perfectionist on this. Sure, I think it's unrealistic still at this point to have every car recorded via dyno, all of them, with and without mods, but they lack oomph, especially the exhaust notes.

3rd: The physics. This is shocked in a good sense. They really revamped them around even since Prologue, and it's the clear cut winner in this regard. It's amazing to drive in this game.

skybaby said:
Preeetty. Pity it's unlockable, it will take me forever to get to level 20 :lol

It's lvl 10 I think. Either way a Patch is coming in December to change that. You'll be able to enable it for lower levels and all modes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RSTEIN said:
Reviews
Game Rankings
Forza 3: 92%
GT5: 88%

Meta Critic
Forza 3: 92
GT5: 86
It's pointless to have this because the games are not released at or around the same time. We have no way to know what FM3 would score if it was released today, so something like those head to head comparisons or impressions from people playing both, is the only thing that gives you any comparable information.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lord Error said:
It's pointless to have this because the games are not released at or around the same time. We have no way to know what FM3 would score if it was released today, so something like those head to head comparisons or impressions from people playing both, is the only thing that gives you any comparable information.

It's okey to compare tech of games separated by an year's period but not okey to compare review scores ?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Metalmurphy said:
It's lvl 10 I think. Either way a Patch is coming in December to change that. You'll be able to enable it for lower levels and all modes.
Wait this isn't a joke? You actually DO have to unlock damage?

Oh man I'm not even going to touch this one. Jesus Christ.

chandoog said:
It's okey to compare tech of games separated by an year's period but not okey to compare review scores ?
It was fine to compare FM3 to GT5:prologue, which is was two years old at the time. Somehow, I doubt you raised a single objection to that.:lol

Ashes

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

woh. Damn. I've gone about driving all bumper car like. Damn you people who want a sim, and want crashes! the fuck is wrong with you? And what about those people, zooming into standard cars till you're blue in the face, and then like 'omg' this standard cars look so standard and not premium, urgh, my eyes, why do I do this to my self, *zooms in again* omg this is so ugly. If only somebody had told me about these standard cars. I best go out into the world and spread this news, that nobody has heard like. Ever. Ever. I cannot let this lie lie. For Forza, I shall fight!

disclaimer. This poster has shares in Polyphony Digital.

just cause I'm in this thread: the above comment is not serious. Polyphony Digital are not on the stock market, and even if they were I wouldn't buy their shares; their games make people sick-sick I tell you! also, I have vested interests in Turn 10.

edit: there that should confuse enough people... :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
theignoramus said:
It was fine to compare FM3 to GT5:prologue, which is was two years old at the time. Somehow, I doubt you raised a single objection to that.:lol

That's what I just said, if it's okey to compare some aspects, should be okey to compare others too ..

Forsete

enzo_gt said:

False. Damage is in even at level 0, at least in arcade mode.

I havent even touched GT-mode with this install on my 2nd PS3.

DarkJC

In all my time with GT5 (2 days :lol) I've never seen anything close to as bad as the models in those pics above.

Regardless, this thread is as entertaining as always. I love how it doesn't matter whether it's Forza or GT, there's always going to be people posting the most unflattering captures they can find, as if they're trying to find the holy grail that will convince people their preferred game is the wrong choice.

I bought Forza 3 and GT5 on day one. What I hated about Forza 3 was the way certain compromises were made. Take photo mode, for example. Forza 3 has some great looking cars, and a pretty decent photo mode. But then it feels like some exec stepped in and said "but wait! We need to incentivize more people to pay for a gold subscription. Let's make it so the only way to get access to the photos for display elsewhere is to get them off of our online server. Oh by the way, we don't want to pay for the space and bandwidth to store super high quality photos, so you're going to have to compress them to shit as well."

GT5 feels like an exercise in pure passion for cars and motorsport, and of course isn't without its flaws. But when I play this game, it feels like the only thing holding them back was time. I just have more fun driving and playing this game than I ever had in Forza 3, and it looks like I'll have more fun online too. No amount of crappy screenshots is going to make me "see the light" any more than that crap made Forza enthusiasts "see the light" back when it launched.

Pepto

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Full damage from the start? This might convince me to buy my own copy. I have no desire to grind the single player to unlock stuff that should be enabled from the start.

Ashes

Banned
enzo_gt said:

Oh wait, a new way to play a driving rpg? mind boggling stuff! And people thought developers had to dumb down for casuals! :D

This is a sim; you ain't supposed to crash bro... :D

tbh mech damage is dissapointing, some people are saying they won't come in, whilst others are saying they come in small measures... :(

RedStep

Ashes1396 said:
woh. Damn. I've gone about driving all bumper car like. Damn you people who want a sim, and want crashes! the fuck is wrong with you? And what about those people, zooming into standard cars till you're blue in the face, and then like 'omg' this standard cars look so standard and not premium, urgh, my eyes, why do I do this to my self, *zooms in again* omg this is so ugly. If only somebody had told me about these standard cars. I best go out into the world and spread this news, that nobody has heard like. Ever. Ever. I cannot let this lie lie. For Forza, I shall fight!

disclaimer. This poster has shares in Polyphony Digital.

just cause I'm in this thread: the above comment is not serious. Polyphony Digital are not on the stock market, and even if they were I wouldn't buy their shares; their games make people sick-sick I tell you! also, I have vested interests in Turn 10.

edit: there that should confuse enough people... :lol

Hitting the Thanksgiving wine a little early?

I watched this thread from the beginning and now it has come to this, this isn't a rant but more of my honest opinion, and I'm not going to shoot from the hip. I'm awping bitches.

First up: Kaz.
With all due respect to the creator of a series I have loved for many generations. Standard cars and tracks should have been left on the cutting room floor until they were up to premium level and made available as dlc, the game would feel more polished without them. It must have been a tough decision to include or not include them but IMO he made the wrong choice. Thank god I am not sensitive to frame drops or screen tear, but there are those who are and this should have been fixed. The game is still good enough IMO the deserve a 9/10 but no more than that in it's current state.

Next up: Forza fans.
All arguments in this area are subjective, before I move on and someone ask for my gamertag, I do not have an xbox, but I have played enough of these games to form an opinion. Alot of my friends have 360's, I have just never been the kind to follow the flock. I refuse to pay to play online, maybe because I have always had a good pc and I'm spoiled by the fact that I never had to do it there or anywhere else. Pay to play online = fuck off MS.
Now to my point, Forza has always felt too (some-thing's not right) for my taste, I don't know what it is or what to call it. But it just never felt right, even more so with F3. I do find it funny that the Forza fans are avoiding talking about the physics of the game now. But with 1 and 2 it was all, oh Forza has better physics (subjective), GT has better graphics (mostly due to better lighting) but Forza has better physics and we don't play sims for the graphics (subjective). But now that they can compare standard cars to Forza 3's models suddenly they do care about the graphics.

Next: Reviewers.
To all the reviewers who play a sim with a chase cam. Fuck off please. The only views that should be use in a sim are bumper, hood and cockpit. I can only laugh at reviewers who want to talk/bash/whine about physics of a sim only to use the arcady chase cam view. The whole point of a sim is the strive for realism, to be as close to it as you can with the given game, there is no chase cam when I drive my car in real life. Gamers are free to chose how they want to play but as a reviewer you are obligated to use the view that gets you as close to being in a real car as possible. If you use a chase cam you have no right to review a sim. If you gave game this game a 10 piss off (it's not perfect), if you gave it less than 8 piss off (it's not that bad), if you are che piss off, you have done nothing good for the Forza community and only make people like me not want to touch the game.

Next: This thread.
It's been a fun ride and many posters have reviled their true colours/colors. Many fans are delusional on both sides and as with many threads on gaf unless you have stock in whatever, why should you give a fuck? Enjoy what you like, if you don't like it move on.
Final score on thread 8/10.

So why are bumper and hood views ok but not a chase cam ? Logically, cockpit is the only proper view in a car sim. FWIW, I like chase cam sometimes. It shows off the exterior of the car the best.

Gowans007 said:
I Iove reading this thread but haven't been posting to get dragged in it but just out of curiosity who has played both here?

/raises hand.

I have. I don't care about painting my cars, I buy racing sims for pure racing. After my third day with GT5 I have to say that it's very superior in that regard. Top Gear Challenge 2 - OH MY FUCKING GOD! Best racing experience I've had in a VERY VERY long time :D. You guys don't know what you're missing out with those fanboy glasses on!

Ashes

Banned
Yeah, I'm out for real this time. Before people start quoting me from this thread and stuff...

my own opinion... a mini review if you will.

Forza is the King of the sim this gen, on console, even though my view is that Gt5 is the better sim. Doesn't matter how you phrase it, metacritic has settled it. That argument is over.
Gt5 is fresher in my mind and the main topic of conversation so I think I'll look at that now.

I've joked and stuff, but when I'm back to being my old best, I would like to be a clean racer; damage should be in and be realistic, and both fail in this regard. The damage on forza is really not worth bragging about, why it's fans hold that model up, I've no idea. I've seen evidence on Gt5 that it can be completely and utterly to my satisfaction, but for whatever reason, it isn't that on quite a number of cars.

The standard versus premium thing just goes to show, that people genuinely care more about looks than they let on sometimes. It's part of the allure of a car; how she looks; so I'm disappointed that there were not 1000 premiums cars, but I still think it was the right decision, as a fan of how cars drive first, and look second to include this. Those are my priorities. Example: I've never driven a Veyron in real life, and let's be realistic, I'm never going to be rich enough for that pleasure; so I'm glad that made it into this game even though it was standard. Now, I know it drives like shit. :p

This game needs a lot more polish I think. I think by the end of the dev cycle they'll have GOW3 MLAA, and that should help with that. But I do love that it is pushing the limits, instead of just staying within its limits. I like that they included as much as possible, rather then do what people suggested. If this game was forza 3 in Gt5's skin, this game would be so much more worse off I think. That's both commendable and criticism worthy.

I think rpg damage was big lol, but I'm liking it thus far. I was so very rusty, and actually glad that I could bumper car through the first few races. The leveling up in this game is insanely addictive. People havng menu problems with the clutter and all... This is just cognitive dissonance to me... I have several browers open, six or seven tabs, youtube, open office, facebook, opera, and mozilla. This game is big sure, but it ain't that big. At least not for me. I actually like Forza's one to, though having more things accessible at once is pretty good to me too.
For some reason, I was half-dreaming that gt5 had an xmb style interface; which actually would have been so awesome. The menu's take so long to load sometimes, that I think more is happening in the background then we give credit for.

I haven't been online yet, so that's my next port of call. Anyways, good luck with this thread. It is so unlike any other part of gaf, that I think, it will be nuked within a few weeks anyway.

ps. I think the screen tear tests by them selves are very informative on some levels, but the comparison to each other is just foolish on other levels. They really are not doing the same amount of things on screen. It would have been worthy if it was the same game, like need for speed on x360 and ps3, forza on x360 and ps3, or gt5 on x360 or ps3.

Top Bottom