• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Insertia

Always-honest said:
photomode?

Both sets of images from each game are from the photomode.

Forza 3 'premium' cars:

FM_CorvetteZR_1.jpg

wait..wtf, isn't this Covette as detailed?

4323745200_7a0c8e5dfb_o.jpg

OMFG it's the same model as Forza 2!!

899.jpg

WTF has Turn-10 been doing all this time??

If there is a LoD bug it shocks me that it made it "in" after all these years of development, at least it can be patched if that is the case.

Insertia said:
Both sets of images from each game are from the photomode.

Forza 3 'premium' cars:

wait..wtf, isn't this Covette as detailed?
OMFG it's the same model as Forza 2!!

899.jpg

WTF has Turn-10 been doing all this time??

I had no idea that 1 and a half years was a long period of development time.

Jeez turn 10, you've barely managed to do in 1.5 years what took PD 5...

sarcasm is a funny thing on the internet.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Really? They literally included cars directly from the PSX era games in a PS3 game.
Only small handful number of new tracks & the rest of complete rehashes from all the previous GT games.

All this with nearly 6 years of time in making the game.

Not really indicative of a AAA quality Team.

let's just forget the much improved physics of the game, the insane visuals on the "new" content, the challenges, the new modes, the course maker...

Shaneus

iceatcs said:
What you mean there's no shit models in F3, that it won't have mods cars.
Reality, there is no mods car yet because people dunno how to import so far.

Most advance mods this generation is save-data hack.

GT5 mod is possible when we get PS3 emulation on PC. Just like so many SNES hack.
Did you read what I just said? There are texture mods for Forza 3. The models themselves in GT5 for standard cars are fine, it just seems like the textures that are shit. No reason they couldn't be cleaned up and put back in... you just need to have a jailbroken PS3.

PS. The comment about most people downplaying GT5 that aren't playing it are BS... majority of the people in this thread downplaying it are doing so based on first-hand experience.

RSTEIN said:
I don't think anyone is really downplaying it. I'm in awe of the number of things they attempted to cram into this thing. Before it released I said without question it will be the driving game of forever. What game has ever attempted to do kart racing, nascar, rally, production, etc all in one package? It's mindblowing!

I think most people are just looking at the final execution and saying "wtf ?" Screen drops. Tearing. Some awful looking cars. Nasty environments. This is not the Kaz we know. Something seriously went wrong here. The guys at beyond3D have a lot of theories that are worth checking out.

Now we have higher review scores for Forza 3 and a couple of head-to-head reviews that say Forza 3 is a better game. Quite shocking that the grand consensus of critics is that GT5 ain't as good as a year old game that was put together rather quickly.

Interesting times!

This.

I've said before that I'll enjoy the game and will do so for months. The content is unbelievable. The menu/HUD etc are all perfectly functional give or take a few minor issues. The sound is great minus the car clash sound. Most importantly the driving model and physics are fucking awesome from what I've experienced. Oh and the smoke effects are making me cream.

The problem is - despite all of this, PD have left some major holes and technical issues in an otherwise fantastic package. It's unfortunate - but I find myself wondering while playing the game, what did they do for 6 years? Clearly the content is there - but given the 800 ported cars I really expected the game to have alot more (or at least be a technical masterpiece) given the resources and timeframe they were given. What could Turn 10 done with the same time?

RSTEIN said:
Reviews
Game Rankings
Forza 3: 92%
GT5: 88%

Meta Critic
Forza 3: 92
GT5: 86

Head-to-Head Comparisons
NowGamer: Forza 3
4Players: Tied*

Technical Analysis

Lens of Truth:
Our analyzer recorded that Forza 3 had a much more stable frame rate throughout. As seen in the video, it’s clear that Gran Turismo 5 was having difficulties maintaining it’s projected 60 FPS, while Forza 3 was locked at a perfect 60 FPS throughout. In addition to the fluctuating frame rate, Gran Turismo 5 screen tore 20% more than Forza 3 did.

Absolutely amazing. Jaw drops.

jett

D-Member
That lens of truth video paints an awful picture. 45fps with 3 cars in front of you and on a simplistic-looking track with no weather effects...and using bumper cam? What exactly have some of PD's programmers been doing since the release of GT5P?

iceatcs

Shaneus said:
Did you read what I just said? There are texture mods for Forza 3. The models themselves in GT5 for standard cars are fine, it just seems like the textures that are shit. No reason they couldn't be cleaned up and put back in... you just need to have a jailbroken PS3.
Cool, seen you know what to do. I'll be waiting.

Yoboman

I love how GT5's development time extends every day.

6 years now? It was in development before PS3 dev kits were ready and before GT4 was out?:lol

Insertia

Shaneus said:
PS. Those above screens are more shit due to the lighting than the models themselves. Or at least, appear to be.

Shit is shit no matter how the light shines on it.

Yes Premium cars look bad compared to standards in GT5.

Premmy:
5193343926_67f29b1d79_b.jpg

Standard:

forza67.jpg

Darn it, I screwed up. The above image is just one of Turn 10's 400+ 'high quality' models WITH INTERIORS!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Really? They literally included cars directly from the PSX era games in a PS3 game.
No, they did not. The standard cars are not incredible by this generations standards, but they are not PSX cars. They were ported from GT4, a PS2 game. The difference between the PSX and PS2 games was beyond enormous. The PSX cars were extremely simplistic.

Darn it, I screwed up. The above image is just one of Turn 10's 400+ 'high quality' models WITH INTERIORS!
Seriously? That Forza car looks just fine. The level of detail in the model is pretty high (much more than the GT4 cars used in GT5).

Both images are not possible within the game itself (while racing). Even if the geometry levels were the same, the image quality ruins the effect.

belvedere

Junior Butler
jett said:
That lens of truth video paints an awful picture. 45fps with 3 cars in front of you and on a simplistic-looking track with no weather effects...and using bumper cam? What exactly have some of PD's programmers been doing since the release of GT5P?

All of that and it's still graphically light years ahead of it's competition.

That says a lot about it's competition.

:lol

Took me around 40 minutes before I can play. Menus are fucking slow as hell. Makes me want to not click on menus unless it is absolutely necessary.

I was gonna install level data too but then I saw estimated time of 50 mins. :lol

belvedere

Junior Butler
MirageDwarf said:
Took me around 40 minutes before I can play. Menus are fucking slow as hell. Makes me want to not click on menus unless it is absolutely necessary.

I was gonna install level data too but then I saw estimated time of 50 mins. :lol

The servers were totally f'd yesterday and this morning. If you disconnect from PSN it's much, much quicker.

Today everything was fine while remaining online though.

Shaneus

Stripper13 said:
This.

I've said before that I'll enjoy the game and will do so for months. The content is unbelievable. The menu/HUD etc are all perfectly functional give or take a few minor issues. The sound is great minus the car clash sound. Most importantly the driving model and physics are fucking awesome from what I've experienced. Oh and the smoke effects are making me cream.

The problem is - despite all of this, PD have left some major holes and technical issues in an otherwise fantastic package. It's unfortunate - but I find myself wondering while playing the game, what did they do for 6 years? Clearly the content is there - but given the 800 ported cars I really expected the game to have alot more (or at least be a technical masterpiece) given the resources and timeframe they were given. What could Turn 10 done with the same time?
Clearly you haven't played the game! I can't believe you're downplaying GT5 so much ;)

Seriously, I fucking love this thread :lol I may lean more to one side than the other (and happy to admit that) but the glasses that some people wear when playing GT5 have a pretty deep rose-colour to them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MirageDwarf said:

It's actually the servers. The game is always online and the server problems were slowing down the menus.

shinnn said:
you're a terrible photographer :lol

[]http://i.imgur.com/nGoci.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i.imgur.com/x0IPI.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i.imgur.com/LpZu5.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i.imgur.com/yqRYU.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i.imgur.com/Nn1Gm.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i.imgur.com/jxOqc.jpg[/IMG]

Is it just me or are those off screen shots?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
belvedere said:
All of that and it's still graphically light years ahead of it's competition.

That says a lot about it's competition.

:lol

According to who? Not the reviewers. Not the videos. Not the head-to-head analysis. Not the technical analysis.

It's still the king, no doubt. But we can't use terms like "light years" anymore. As a life long GT fan even I can see that.

Double D

Shit is fucking crazy in here, but I just have to ask this question. I haven't played Forza 3 or GT5, but I want to play one of them. Played all of their predecessors and enjoyed them all. I have a hankering for one of these games. Which shall it be, you crazy mother fuckers????

Having played both I'd say each is a testament to the systems strengths.

For instance Forza 3 draws a ton of polygons, especially in the environments, and some sharp textures. Where GT5 lacks in polygonal detail in the tracks, makes up for with very nice lighting and impressive weather effects.

That's all that really needs to be said about the graphics. If I had to pick one as better looking, just like a side by side comparison, I'm going with Forza personally, but you could make an argument either way.

Also those non-premium cars on PS3 do not compare, at all, to even Forza 2 models. You can count the polygons on those damn cars :lol But it get's a pass because this game has a rediculous amount of cars.

Insertia

GT5 Standards:

SpecialStageRoute7_3.jpg

SpecialStageRoute7_1.jpg

ARGHH MY EYES!!

I understand it hurts GT5 haters.
Now that images of standards are being released what will we move on to?

I say lets compare video instead of screens!!

hows the body roll and tire dynamics in Forza compared to GT5? watched replays of GT5 and was quite impressed by the subtle suspension bumps and tire tension when cars drive over uneven surfaces on the tracks....that and the body roll which conveys good sense of weight shifting when braking :yum:

CozMick

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
Having played both I'd say each is a testament to the systems strengths.

For instance Forza 3 draws a ton of polygons, especially in the environments, and some sharp textures. Where GT5 lacks in polygonal detail in the tracks, makes up for with very nice lighting and impressive weather effects.

That's all that really needs to be said about the graphics. If I had to pick one as better looking, just like a side by side comparison, I'm going with Forza personally, but you could make an argument either way.

Also those non-premium cars on PS3 do not compare, at all, to even Forza 2 models. You can count the polygons on those damn cars :lol But it get's a pass because this game has a rediculous amount of cars.

But wouldn't you like the feeling of being in a real race type environment?

8 cars in a race just doesn't cut it anymore.

16 cars per race is the future.............and the future is now!

belvedere said:
The servers were totally f'd yesterday and this morning. If you disconnect from PSN it's much, much quicker.

Today everything was fine while remaining online though.

dark10x said:
It's actually the servers. The game is always online and the server problems were slowing down the menus.

Thanks. Didn't know it is a server problem. Signed out of PSN and everything is much better now.

Xun

CozMick said:
Holy shit!

It's like watching Real Life Vs Forza 3 :lol

Seriously though, the difference is huge when put side by side.

Also take into account, the number of cars on track, resolution and visual effects like smoke.
GT5 looks as good as it does because of the superior lighting.

CozMick said:
Holy shit!

It's like watching Real Life Vs Forza 3 :lol

Seriously though, the difference is huge when put side by side.

Also take into account, the number of cars on track, resolution and visual effects like smoke.

Premium cars on "premium" tracks are a sight to behold.

The great difference - incredibly detailed cars aside (they're a slight minority of the package, after all) - is lighting. GT5 lighting is perfect.

But then you get to play on something like trial mountain and you wish it could look like Forza.

That's something anyone can see, even furious blind and raging fanboys.

GT5 achieves more, yet it ends up disappointing more in its shortcomings.

In an optimal scenario though, nothing really compares.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Shit is fucking crazy in here, but I just have to ask this question. I haven't played Forza 3 or GT5, but I want to play one of them. Played all of their predecessors and enjoyed them all. I have a hankering for one of these games. Which shall it be, you crazy mother fuckers????

Forza 3 is cheaper, so there's that. And I've always preferred its driving model over GT's. Especially the way you feel the tires. It's better with just a pad as well. Most seem to agree that GT truly shines only with a proper wheel.

plufim

Weridest thing to me about the standards is how the wheels seem so much rounder than the wheel arches (where the polygons are super obvious). Guess all the wheels in the game are rendered at premium detail?

CozMick said:
But wouldn't you like the feeling of being in a real race type environment?

8 cars in a race just doesn't cut it anymore.

16 cars per race is the future.............and the future is now!

Not once while playing forza (or any racer that I can think of) did I say to myself - I wish there were more cars in this race.

Baby Milo

WrikaWrek said:
Why does Forza 3 have better reviews?

And it came out like 30 years ago.
GT5 only has 17 or something reviews it just came out a few days ago

it hasn't had a chance to get its maxim or playboy reviews yet:D

Insertia

RSTEIN said:
According to who? Not the reviewers. Not the videos. Not the head-to-head analysis. Not the technical analysis.

It's still the king, no doubt. But we can't use terms like "light years" anymore. As a life long GT fan even I can see that.

16 cars.
Night and Day transition
Snow
Rain
1 Premium car has more detail than 7 Forza 3 vehicles
Better Physics

Play both games. GT5 is the graphics king. No one will ever make that statement about Forza. Oh, it's a better driving experience too...

fredrikswe5small.jpg

Ouch
F3:

33wa13s.jpg

If there is going to be a Forza 4, Turn-10 has their work cut out for them. I'll be honest, I don't think they can do it. They are no Polyphony Digital.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Baby Milo said:
GT5 only has 17 or something reviews it just came out a few days ago

it hasn't had a chance to get its maxim or playboy reviews yet:D

Don't scores tend to go down with time, not up?

First reviews usually paint a brighter picture...same happens with movies usually. Take Rottentomatoes for example.

WrikaWrek said:
Why does Forza 3 have better reviews?

And it came out like 30 years ago.

Forza 3 raised expectations for PD with GT, fan-boys raised that bar higher, now that GT has come out, and is comparatively on par with forza 3, it's being reviewed slightly worse, especially when factors such as development time are considered.

Fundamentally the games do 2 different things, and they do those things equally well. One has better community and customization, one has more content, one has a consistent overall finish, one suffers from higher highs but lower lows. Everything else is subjective.

Double D

I just watched the lens of truth video, and if I were to not look at the numbers at the bottom (I didn't, because I'm not that crazy anyways) and just base my decision on the videos alone, I'd pick GT5. That being said, I'm sure if I went out and bought Forza 3 I'd say it looks great and have a great time. After all, I'm not going to b playing it with a GT5 comparison video reel on a TV sitting next to it. Also, I can get it from Gamefly for like $15. And I like to do crazy shit (appearance) to my cars (I can do that in F3, right?).

Top Bottom