• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

It needs to be said that Forza 3 photomode is practically useless.

Despite the use of better LOD models (than in-game), everything is ruined by poor compression once you export the picture.

So it really difficult to find a good shot.

Haunted

kevm3 said:
Because they're not being graded to the same standard.
I agree with that.

Gran Turismo is clearly held to a higher standard in the industry and among enthusiast sites. That said, lower review scores only follow when the game (or at least, parts of the game) cannot live up to this high standard and expectations previous entries and a 6 year development time have created.

But I have a very low opinion of the big enthusiast sites and reviewers in our fucked up magazine/site <-> publisher system in general, so I disagree with using enthusiast site review aggregates as a quantifiable marker of quality anyway.

Baby Milo said:
:lol it was never an option

I don't get the joke?

Of course it wasn't an option. But my experience with GT5 isn't any better because of more cars on the track. 8 is/was plenty. I'm glad that they upped it to 16 don't get me wrong... But it hasn't improved the experience overall (particularly when you notice what they had to cut to get those 16 cars on the track).

CozMick

Banned
Is this just real life? Is this just fantasy?.........................Props to RankoSD

RWn5F.jpg

Don't waste your time guys, you will never find a better looking screenshot of Forza 3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Insertia said:
wait..wtf, isn't this Covette as detailed?

4323745200_7a0c8e5dfb_o.jpg
You are the most ignorant and blind PD fanboy I've ever seen holy shit. Your using a blurred picture compared to a crisp shot of C6 ZR1 in the first place. You don't know the meaning of comparison, at all. Going by your logic we should put up the Audi R8 model in Forza up against those shitty standard cars in GT5 to show which game is better.
16 cars.
Night and Day transition
Snow
Rain
1 Premium car has more detail than 7 Forza 3 vehicles
Better Physics

Play both games. GT5 is the graphics king. No one will ever make that statement about Forza. Oh, it's a better driving experience too...

Ouch
F3:

If there is going to be a Forza 4, Turn-10 has their work cut out for them. I'll be honest, I don't think they can do it. They are no Polyphony Digital.
What does posting all those numbers and statistics give for you? I'm sure typing weather instead of giving Snow and Rain two different lines would've been okay but it clearly isn't.

Your ignorance of what people are actually arguing about in this thread is fucking astounding man. People post pictures of real issues that apparently multiple people have encountered and you go ahead and post pictures of *other* standard cars in some sort of attempt to claim Premium/Standard is a non-issue. Quit dick-riding PD and make sensible comparisons if your going to make comparisons at all. Though, it was quite amusing when you compared a GTi from the last few years to a GTi from over 20 years ago in some snarky attempt to directly compare visual fidelity.

The comparison with the Ferrari California is the best screenshot one so far IMO. From the Lens of Truth comparison, all I can see is that GT's lighting engine is much better on the cars, but the environmental detail is much more lackluster. Still, I care about cars more than the environment, so that rolls in GTs favour.

CozMick, that shot is amazing, the smoke effects look a lot better in photomode goddamn.

Gek54

Insertia said:
No, actually it says nothing at all..

This debate is nothing new(this happens with every GT release) and it is actually the most civil of any Gran Tourismo title. Yes, civil.

GT as a series has always been scrutinized by online communities. It's kind of tradition, and seeing the tradition evolve is very cool. GT2 faced the most backlash of them all.

Test Drive Le Mans:
lemans_1206_screen015.jpg

SEGA GT

Those were compared a lot more heavily to GT2 than Shift and Forza are to GT5. EVeryone wants there fave sim racer to compare to the largest and most popular of them all. Each release of GT proves that.
Everyone loves to go for GT's spot. It's a unusually high quality title, exclusive to Playstation, that sells to more than the idiot casual base

Test Drive Le Mans apparently was way before its time, it should have set standards for all big racing games but some how it was hugely under appreciated.

24hr races, option to increase the rate of Day to Night cycle, dynamic weather with dark clouds rolling before the rain, fuel % and tire options for pit stops, save states during pitstops. The driving physics left a little realism to be desired but it did everything else so well.

Haunted

CozMick said:
Is this just real life? Is this just fantasy?.........................
amazing shot.

I don't think anyone disagrees that GT5's highs are higher than Forza's. It's when people start talking about its lows being lower that things get heated.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Insertia said:
16 cars.
Night and Day transition
Snow
Rain
Better Physics

Play both games. GT5 is the graphics king. No one will ever make that statement about Forza. Oh, it's a better driving experience too...

I agree 100% that GT5 has an edge when it comes to certain graphical things like lighting and car detail. However, achieving excellence in these areas doesn't mean that it's "the graphics king." In fact, that's quite subjective! Forza 3 has great backgrounds but cartoony lighting. GT5's backgrounds are questionable in many areas (e.g. Laguna Seca). GT5 has more cars on screen but has framerate issues and tearing. There's no way to come to some sort of clear bottom line conclusion to all of this! Why do you feel the need to use such hyperbole?

My point is this: it's quite clear there is no clear winner! If we use review scores and the opinions of experts, Forza 3 is the better game. But the reality is that GT5 and FM3 are very close.

I'll continue to assemble the collection of reviews, head-to-head reviews, and technical pieces.

Insertia said:
16 cars.
Night and Day transition
Snow
Rain
Better Physics

If there is going to be a Forza 4, Turn-10 has their work cut out for them. I'll be honest, I don't think they can do it. They are no Polyphony Digital.

Wow what the fuck? I hardly think turn 10 should be aiming for what PD managed to achieve with far more resources and nearly 3 times the development time. I would expect turn 10 would have delivered a far more solid, consistent product with no standard/premium bullshit and atrocious tirewalls/textures if given the same opportunity and freedom PD were granted.

Baby Milo

RSTEIN said:
My point is this: it's quite clear there is no clear winner! If we use review scores and the opinions of experts, Forza 3 is the better game. But the reality is that GT5 and FM3 are very close.

Nowgamer and 4player are expert opinions now?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WrikaWrek said:
Why does Forza 3 have better reviews?

And it came out like 30 years ago.
Perhaps you answered your own question. To make a more blatant example: Why GT3 had higher reviews on average compared to GT4, when it was objectively worse game in every way imaginable when compared head to head with GT4 at the time of GT4s release? Because things don't exist in vacuum and standards change with time. We have no way of knowing what FM3 would score on average if it was released today.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RSTEIN said:
I agree 100% that GT5 has an edge when it comes to certain graphical things like lighting and car detail. However, achieving excellence in these areas doesn't mean that it's "the graphics king." In fact, that's quite subjective! Forza 3 has great backgrounds but cartoony lighting. GT5's backgrounds are questionable in many areas (e.g. Laguna Seca). GT5 has more cars on screen but has framerate issues and tearing. There's no way to come to some sort of clear bottom line conclusion to all of this! Why do you feel the need to use such hyperbole?

I'll continue to assemble the collection of reviews, head-to-head reviews, and technical pieces.
I'll say it once and I'll say it again. GT5's highs are much higher, and it's lows are much lower. Forza 3 is the balanced and consistent product. Featureset? Goes to preference. GT5 has much more on paper, but shit like a decent in-game community, marketplace and livery editor are huge components of the Forza community that a lot of people with no prior exposure to GT would find odd that "the one Forza copied" doesn't have said features. Even after a 3x longer dev cycle.

Stripper13 said:
Wow what the fuck? I hardly think turn 10 should be aiming for what PD managed to achieve with far more resources and nearly 3 times the development time. I would expect turn 10 would have delivered a far more solid, consistent product with no standard/premium bullshit and atrocious tirewalls/textures if given the same opportunity and freedom PD were granted.

Time and resources should be irrelevant to this discussion.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
hey are no Polyphony Digital.

after my first 30 minutes with GT5 it looks like the current Polyphony Digital are no Polyphony Digital either.
We have no way of knowing what FM3 would score on average if it was released today.

Hell, given the many problems in GT5 it may well score even higher.

RSTEIN

Lord Error said:
We have no way of knowing what FM3 would score on average if it was released today.

We also don't know what it would look like considering that it would have had a year or so more development time. Full Kinect implementation, weather, day/night cycle. Who knows.

Yoboman said:
I love how GT5's development time extends every day.

6 years now? It was in development before PS3 dev kits were ready and before GT4 was out?:lol

No shit :lol. And Forza 3 isn't the result of 1.5 years. The have been working on Forzas engine since 2 (2005?). Reused models/tracks, livery was there to be built upon, online codes, etc, unless you think they Shift-Del all their progress from the past. GT5 has realistically been in development for 4 years, maybe closer to 5. And lastly, games with very long dev times have probably had some big issues along the way. No one sets out to make a game in 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a big change in development somewhere along the way.

IT doesn't matter how long a game took to make though, you just judge it based on its time of release and compared. You dont (shouldn't) give games free passes because they "only" took 2 years to make it. $59 is $59.

gillty

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I'll say it once and I'll say it again. GT5's highs are much higher, and it's lows are much lower. Forza 3 is the balanced and consistent product. Featureset? Goes to preference. GT5 has much more on paper, but shit like a decent in-game community, marketplace and livery editor are huge components of the Forza community that a lot of people with no prior exposure to GT would find odd that "the one Forza copied" doesn't have said features. Even after a 3x longer dev cycle.
This x100000.

Lion Heart said:
No shit :lol. And Forza 3 isn't the result of 1.5 years. The have been working on Forzas engine since 2 (2005?). Reused models/tracks, livery was there to be built upon, online codes, etc, unless you think they Shift-Del all their progress from the past. GT5 has realistically been in development for 4 years, maybe closer to 5. And lastly, games with very long dev times have probably had some big issues along the way. No one sets out to make a game in 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a big change in development somewhere along the way.

IT doesn't matter how long a game took to make though, you just judge it based on its time of release and compared. You dont (shouldn't) give games free passes because they "only" took 2 years to make it. $59 is $59.

In all reality, gt5 probably started 3/4 the way through the development of GT4, and if you honestly believe that GTHD was the culmination of like 6 months of work, you're kidding yourself.

PopcornMegaphone said:
Its about the games. Everything else is irrelevant.

so the time and money spent to make a game is irrelevant when comparing games? That makes sense, no wonder we compare indie games to full games, and flash games to full on console releases.

AZ Greg

belvedere said:
All of that and it's still graphically light years ahead of it's competition.

That says a lot about it's competition.

:lol

Seriously? :lol

And that isn't in response to your "graphically light years ahead" comment. Are you seriously suggesting that drops to 45FPS, tearing, and whatever else that article mentioned, is no big deal because "Hey, it looks far better than Forza!" I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why everyone is fine with these issues. Is the only defense really that it looks better than the competition? Or look what it's pushing? Really? From PD? I guess all the hype/hyperbole from the fans and developers was nothing but that.

Someone needs to tell T10 that a locked 60FPS (and avoiding other visual inconsistencies) no longer matters as long as you can make your game look better than the competition!

PopcornMegaphone said:
Time and resources should be irrelevant to this discussion.

Why exactly? When someone is trumpeting the detail of the 200 premium car models compared to forza's car selection - and their respective graphical engines - time/resources seems paramount. The fact is you can't say turn 10 are no PD given that turn 10 have not been given anywhere near the same opportunity for technical achievements that PD have. And when you look at what PD did compared to T10 - I hardly think PD should be seen as a superior developer - possibly more ambitious but that's it

Stripper13 said:
Oh I'm fully aware that forza had it's own share of technical issues and tricks to cover them up. The major issue I have with it all is that forza would make me go out of my way to find them. Whether it be the level of detail issues or some low res textures etc. You would have to go deliberately looking for them and point them out.

When I play GT5 I have to more or less limit my car selection to 200ish cars else I'm faced with awful photo/replay opportunities. On top of this. If I race in the rain I am forced out of the cockpit view otherwise it's like I'm playing a PS1 game with the windshield rain effect. And worst of all - if I slide off the track on select corners (an unfortunate reality of a sim racer) I'm faced with N64 level textures and polygons that are meant to represent tirewalls/grass in PS3's premier racing game. It's ridiculous and an indicator (at least for me) that turn 10 are better developers given the results.

This whole post is about graphics, especially the last line is laughable. Guerrilla Games are MUCH better developers than Bungie going by this post.

Stripper13 said:
Why exactly? When someone is trumpeting the detail of the 200 premium car models compared to forza's car selection - and their respective graphical engines - time/resources seems paramount. The fact is you can't say turn 10 are no PD given that turn 10 have not been given anywhere near the same opportunity for technical achievements that PD have. And when you look at what PD did compared to T10 - I hardly think PD should be seen as a superior developer - possibly more ambitious but that's it

This thread isnt about that, its about GT5 and FORZA 3. Not which developer is pound for pound more talented. Jesus Christ. 60 dollars vs 60 dollars. Dev time, money, etc doesnt mean shit. Its 60 friggin dollars that is at stake, thats it.

CozMick

Banned
AZ Greg said:
Seriously? :lol

And that isn't in response to your "graphically light years ahead" comment. Are you seriously suggesting that drops to 45FPS, tearing, and whatever else that article mentioned, is no big deal because "Hey, it looks far better than Forza!" I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why everyone is fine with these issues. Is the only defense really that it looks better than the competition? Or look what it's pushing? Really? From PD? I guess all the hype/hyperbole from the fans and developers was nothing but that.

Someone needs to tell T10 that a locked 60FPS (and avoiding other visual inconsistencies) no longer matters as long as you can make your game look better than the competition!

Well this has been the argument for the past 100 pages, so i'm guessing graphics mean ALOT more to the average gamer than consistent framerates and tearing.

les papillons sexuels said:
and if you honestly believe that GTHD was the culmination of like 6 months of work, you're kidding yourself.
Really? GTHD was what, two cars (with GT4ish handling) and one track? It may have been conceived as a full fledged game, but the final product was the sort of thing you'd get from a demo disc in a gaming mag.

so the time and money spent to make a game is irrelevant when comparing games? That makes sense, no wonder we compare indie games to full games, and flash games to full on console releases.

Because it's stupid fanboy bullshit that is totally irrelevant to the overall quality of the game.

You know, I might be able to mock up a shity driving game after a few months of work, but that doesn't mean my game should get a free pass. The dev time or budget shouldn't impact your enjoyment of a game. All you can do is judge a game at face value.

edit-

Stripper13 said:

Who gives a shit about "PD vs T10"? Are you emotionally invested in these companies? What planet do you live on?

Its about the games.

CozMick said:
Well this has been the argument for the past 100 pages, so i'm guessing graphics mean ALOT more to the average gamer than consistent framerates and tearing.

It means so much more that they are ready to forget a good slice of the game is definitely not so good looking.

I'm not talking about standard cars. Those while racing are fine, after all. I'm talking about the ugly tracks gamers are forced into.

And mind you, I'm really enjoying the game (see profile for ID if you're skeptical), I even bought the signature edition.

enzo_gt said:
You are the most ignorant and blind PD fanboy I've ever seen holy shit. Your using a blurred picture compared to a crisp shot of C6 ZR1 in the first place. You don't know the meaning of comparison, at all. Going by your logic we should put up the Audi R8 model in Forza up against those shitty standard cars in GT5 to show which game is better.
Calm down son. He was just showing that in F3 not all models are of the same quality and some were ported from F2. Blurry pic or not that is true.

nib95

Banned
The extra amount going on screen definitely does make races feel more alive and rewarding though. Namely with the number of cars. Makes a big difference, especially when they're hyper detailed premium models. Let's not pretend like Forza 3 doesn't drop frames either. It does. Just not quite as many.

Generally the frame rate in GT5 is good, it's the screen tearing that's a problem. But it'll hopefully get patched or something. Hasn't really affected my enjoyment of the game, but I know others who are far more bothered by it.

Overall though, I will say, I haven't really seen any of these "atrocious" standard models car one. Most actually look pretty good. Much of the time you can't even tell the difference. Not when you're actually racing anyway.

I'm not really sure I'd call F3 completely consistent either mind. It also suffers from LOD issues now and again, a difference in quality of modelling and some pretty pants looking backgrounds too (usually the ordinary tracks or one's Team10 didn't make up). GT does have it's lows, but its certainly graphically wow'ed me a heck of a lot more than F3 did.

Insertia

DCharlie said:
after my first 30 minutes with GT5 it looks like the current Polyphony Digital are no Polyphony Digital either.

Yeah. GT5 is definitely a step back.

289a2ol

Gran_Turismo_2_2.jpg

Ironic we found the same thing out in the first 30 minutes. The series just hasn't progressed and PD has been complacent...

Anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXONhFOrkg&feature=email&email=comment_reply_received

Does GT5 have more tearing because it has 16 cars on screen, better effects, better lighting and 1080P or is it because PD are a bunch of lazy bums?

I say lazy bums. What have they been doing the past 40 years.

shinnn

Insertia said:
GT5 Standards:

SpecialStageRoute7_3.jpg

ARGHH MY EYES!!

I understand it hurts GT5 haters.
Now that images of standards are being released what will we move on to?

I say lets compare video instead of screens!!

XJ220 is a standard? reallyyyyy? :(

eY2ph.jpg

IbnlO.jpg

nWltn.jpg

custom rims :)

PopcornMegaphone said:
Because it's stupid fanboy bullshit that is totally irrelevant to the overall quality of the game.

You know, I might be able to mock up a shity driving game after a few months of work, but that doesn't mean my game should get a free pass. The dev time or budget shouldn't impact your enjoyment of a game. All you can do is judge a game at face value.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong here. Time and money means: more features, more content, more talent, and more testing. These things directly relate to how a person relates to a game, whether positive or not.

I agree that the dev time and budget shouldn't play a role in how much you enjoy a game, but to say that a game doesn't benefit from increases in time and budget is just laughable. Given an unlimited amount of time and money that mock of a shitty driving game would be the best driving game ever made.

CozMick said:
Is this just real life? Is this just fantasy?.........................Props to RankoSD

RWn5F.jpg

Don't waste your time guys, you will never find a better looking screenshot of Forza 3.

That looks fucking amazing. Can you please tell me what car that is and how much it costs - I must have it (in the game of course)

RSTEIN

metareferential said:
It means so much more that they are ready to forget a good slice of the game is definitely not so good looking.

I'm not talking about standard cars. Those while racing are fine, after all. I'm talking about the ugly tracks gamers are forced into.

And mind you, I'm really enjoying the game (see profile for ID if you're skeptical), I even bought the signature edition.

If it was a tighter, more focused game it would be getting 9+ scores easily. Imagine if there were no horrible looking tracks? Imagine if they swapped out some of the rally/nascar stuff and instead doubled the number of premium cars?

They just bit off more than they could chew. And if you believe the beyond3d stuff, apparently kaz had a lot of issues with the PS3 and believed it had severe technical limitations from the beginning. But that's just speculation.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong here. Time and money means: more features, more content, more talent, and more testing. These things directly relate to how a person relates to a game, whether positive or not.

Yeah, so? You judge the content of the game. That's it.

I agree that the dev time and budget shouldn't play a role in how much you enjoy a game, but to say that a game doesn't benefit from increases in time and budget is just laughable. Given an unlimited amount of time and money that mock of a shitty driving game would be the best driving game ever made.

You are putting words in my mouth. Reread my posts and what I replied to.

Fuck it this is my last post in this thread.

Anyway, ofcourse it benefits but once again all this hypothetical talk is irrelevant, people need to stop talking about what could or couldn't, this is a comparison thread of two games, compare them for content on the disc and everything else is IRRELEVANT /jordan schlansky

RSTEIN said:
If it was a tighter, more focused game it would be getting 9+ scores easily. Imagine if there were no horrible looking tracks? Imagine if they swapped out some of the rally/nascar stuff and instead doubled the number of premium cars?

Well, I've played only a few hours until now, but I can see what they concentrated upon: gameplay. Driving feels significantly better than prologue (and a hell lot better than that scary academy trial), which is what matters the most, for me, as a racing fan.

RSTEIN said:
They just bit off more than they could chew. And if you believe the beyond3d stuff, apparently kaz had a lot of issues with the PS3 and believed it had severe technical limitations from the beginning. But that's just speculation.

That could very well be the case, I don't know.

The sure thing is the game at times feels a compilation of GT 6 Prologue and GT4 HD :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
RSTEIN said:
Imagine if they swapped out some of the rally/nascar stuff and instead doubled the number of premium cars?
Wow, you can go straight to hell. Rally is my favorite part of GT. And the Nascar is actually fun, which surprised me considering I was just going to ignore it entirely.

Yeah, let's take out the Nascar and Rally and make it more like any other racing sim out there. Great idea. :p

Lion Heart said:
Fuck it this is my last post in this thread.

Anyway, ofcourse it benefits but once again all this hypothetical talk is irrelevant, people need to stop talking about what could or couldn't, this is a comparison thread of two games, compare them for content on the disc and everything else is IRRELEVANT /jordan schlansky

Look, all i was doing was responding to a potential reason as to why GT5 has been tracking worse then Forza 3. If you want to assume that standards do not shift over time then so be it. If you think that a games development time and budget is irrelevant to the final product released, then ignorance really must be bliss.

Look, all i was doing was responding to a potential reason as to why GT5 has been tracking worse then Forza 3. If you want to assume that standards do not shift over time then so be it. If you think that a games development time and budget is irrelevant to the final product released, then ignorance really must be bliss.

durp

nib95

Banned
chubigans said:
Wow, you can go straight to hell. Rally is my favorite part of GT. And the Nascar is actually fun, which surprised me considering I was just going to ignore it entirely.

Nascar is ridiculous fun. It's all steering wheel porn. My G25 loves it! You really feel like you're harbouring an absolute beast underneath. And couple it with Force Feedback level 10 and you're fighting even keeping the thing straight. It's awesome.

RSTEIN

chubigans said:

Absolutely. It's insane that they even tried to attempt it. My point is that they probably bit off more than they could chew. Even with all the resources at their disposal things had to be cut and sacrificed. Review scores are irrelevant, just saying if they focused on making the core game flawless then they wouldn't have put out the lowest scoring GT yet. Why run when you can't walk?

nib95

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Absolutely. It's insane that they even tried to attempt it. My point is that they probably bit off more than they could chew. Even with all the resources at their disposal things had to be cut and sacrificed. Review scores are irrelevant, just saying if they focused on making the core game flawless then they wouldn't have put out the lowest scoring GT yet. Why run when you can't walk?

Tbh, I care more about the gameplay and features than the vehicles. Fuck the standard cars. Nascar, go-karting, rally etc. THESE are the things that are making this game one of the most enjoyable racing sims I've ever played. The game is a gift that keeps on giving, and for once the vehicles are only a small part of the reason why.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
nib95 said:
Tbh, I care more about the gameplay and features than the vehicles. Fuck the standard cars. Nascar, go-karting, rally etc. THESE are the things that are making this game one of the most enjoyable racing sims I've ever played. The game is a gift that keeps on giving, and for once the vehicles are only a small part of the reason why.
Indeed. Would you want Turn 10 to jettison the livery editor if it meant getting 100 more cars? I think many would answer that "hell freaking no!" Much like the livery editor defines Forza, so does the new events for GT5.

Blame!

this thread is depressing the shit out of me, thanks. i was pumped for GT5 this morning and now all i can read are people complaining about his or that.

even over at gt planet people are bitching up a storm. whats the deal? for every one of these types of pictures...

dsc001550.png

i see one like this and my head just explodes. sooo confused :lol

Kyoto-Gion.jpg

Insertia

From the Head-to-Head video

2dum895.jpg

GT5 shows the time and money poured into the game very well.
I think GT5 has more tearing and brief frame drops compared to Forza 3 because it looks a lot better. I think, can't say for sure.

Top Bottom