• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

AZ Greg

CozMick said:
Well this has been the argument for the past 100 pages, so i'm guessing graphics mean ALOT more to the average gamer than consistent framerates and tearing.

This isn't about the average gamer. Nobody in this thread is an average gamer. That is why I'm asking about the swallowing of these graphical inconsistencies without complaint (From the vocal defenders in here).

If at any point over the past 3 years I would have posted in a GT5 hype thread something along the lines of, "I see GT5 having framerate issues, tearing, an inconsistent car count (low count vs. low quality), or tracks with textures that look like they belong in an N64 game, due to the ambition of PD and all that they are trying to push." My post, no matter how non-insulting I wrote it, would have been met with one of two responses. 1.) :lol Troll! Someone report him to a mod. 2.) No way Kaz/PD would allow a game with those graphical inconsistencies to be released. The reason they haven't done damage is because they are waiting until they can perfect it. And Kaz thinks games can hardly be called that if they aren't 60FPS."

Yet now? It's fine cause it looks better/pushes more than Forza. :|

I haven't played GT5 yet, but let's get real: Who gives a shit about photomode bullshot crap. It's all about how it looks while it's playing. That's not to say some of those GT4 models don't look like crap while you're playing (I don't know), but the photomode stuff is absurd.

Blame! said:
i see one like this and my head just explodes. sooo confused :lol

The first image shows an issue the game has with alpha textures; that pixelated effect is related to the use of low res transparencies (if I understood that correctly).

It's something you can see in-game as well in replays.

The other picture is from the photomode, which takes everything from the in-game engine and blows it out of proportion rendering at better resolutions with a ton of effects to improve image quality.

Basically that's a single frame out of GT7 on ps4 or even ps5 :lol

PopcornMegaphone said:
Who gives a shit about "PD vs T10"? Are you emotionally invested in these companies? What planet do you live on?

Its about the games.

The time/development responses are primarily due to bullshit posts that try aim to say that PD>T10.

More importantly - my negative impressions of GT5 are not that it sucks or that FM3 is better etc. Rather it's an unending curiousty as to what PD have been doing for so long to get such inconsistent results. In that context the PD vs T10 comparisons are extremely relevant.

plufim

AZ Greg said:
If at any point over the past 3 years I would have posted in a GT5 hype thread something along the lines of, "I see GT5 having framerate issues, tearing, an inconsistent car count (low count vs. low quality), or tracks with textures that look like they belong in an N64 game, due to the ambition of PD and all that they are trying to push." My post, no matter how non-insulting I wrote it, would have been met with one of two responses. 1.) :lol Troll! Someone report him to a mod. 2.) No way Kaz/PD would allow a game with those graphical inconsistencies to be released. The reason they haven't done damage is because they are waiting until they can perfect it. And Kaz thinks games can hardly be called that if they aren't 60FPS."
Everything that is reasonable about the hypothetiocal post from the past is kinda ruined by that N64 comment man.

Haunted

PopcornMegaphone said:
I haven't played GT5 yet, but let's get real: Who gives a shit about photomode bullshot crap. It's all about how it looks while it's playing.
gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-502.jpg

gt5-1-63.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

gt5-1-88.jpg

Stripper13 said:
The time/development responses are primarily due to bullshit posts that try aim to say that PD>T10.

More importantly - my negative impressions of GT5 are not that it sucks or that FM3 is better etc. Rather it's an unending curiousty as to what PD have been doing for so long to get such inconsistent results. In that context the PD vs T10 comparisons are extremely relevant.

That's not the context of this thread. Or at least it shouldn't be.

nib95

Banned
AZ Greg said:
This isn't about the average gamer. Nobody in this thread is an average gamer. That is why I'm asking about the swallowing of these graphical inconsistencies without complaint (From the vocal defenders in here).

Yet now? It's fine cause it looks better/pushes more than Forza. :|

It's not fine, it's just nothing can be done about it. If I was Polyphony I'd have just removed the terrible looking standard cars and left in the good looking one's. But I guess someone REALLY liked that over '1000' phrase.

Point is, it doesn't actually affect the game in the grand scheme of things and I doubt PD invested much time in it. Don't like the shittier standard cars, just don't buy em. Pretty simple really.

There's still around 235 spectacular looking premium models and possibly 400+ or so either great or good looking standard cars. So it's really not nearly as bad as some are making out. The bad apples are few and far between. In all my racing I've only noticed one, maybe two really shitty looking standard cars.

Nafai1123

Banned
It's pretty clear that many of the people downplaying gt5 have not/will not play it. Yes it's not perfect (no game is), but it still does what PD has always managed to do, and it does it extremely well. I am having a blast playing it and will continue to do so. The amount of content you get for $60 is incredible. Those that are boo-hooing it and declaring it a failure really are going to miss out.

AZ Greg said:
If at any point over the past 3 years I would have posted in a GT5 hype thread something along the lines of, "I see GT5 having framerate issues, tearing, an inconsistent car count (low count vs. low quality), or tracks with textures that look like they belong in an N64 game, due to the ambition of PD and all that they are trying to push." My post, no matter how non-insulting I wrote it, would have been met with one of two responses. 1.) Troll! Someone report him to a mod. 2.) No way Kaz/PD would allow a game with those graphical inconsistencies to be released.
Pretty much. :lol

plufim said:
Everything that is reasonable about the hypothetiocal post from the past is kinda ruined by that N64 comment man.

Bullshit. Look at the tirewall on Laguna SECA. I'm not joking when I say I have seen better detail in an N64 game. It's fucking atrocious particularly given how close to the track it is and how easy it is to slide off at certain parts of the track. It'd be forgivable if it was placed somewhere inconspicuous - but it's clearly a 'Meh' moment by the developer

J-Rzez

WrikaWrek said:
Why does Forza 3 have better reviews?

And it came out like 30 years ago.

:lol

Really, it's not worth going there. Reviews are really not worth a shit for obvious reasons, especially this gen where it's been more obvious than ever that they're included into "marketing budgets".

And it's become even worse as "reviews" lack factual information in them about the games.

Fact is, best way to sum it up about this game so far for me is:

GT5's highs are a leap above FM3 highs.
GT5's lows are a rung or two below FM3's lows.

It's just incredible how inconsistent GT5 ended up, not saying it's a bad game, but while it's the console Sim king once again, it didn't come in and do it in a clean sweep. KY can not be too pleased with this. I'm sure after reading about it, he'll be even more pissed.

If anything, we have more fuel to the fire of the state of Japanese developers this gen and how in most cases really fell from grace, dropped the ball.

Haunted

PopcornMegaphone said:
See, this is what I'd be raging about.
Just for the record, I took 2 screens from posts who were dissing GT5 and 2 from posts where GT5 was praised as the second coming.

PopcornMegaphone said:
That's not the context of this thread. Or at least it shouldn't be.

The context of the thread is forza vs gt5 and everything therein. Given that both games are it and comparable now - it is time for impressions. If my impression is that GT5 is good but I don't know where the extra time/resources went - than so be it. It's not up to you to backseat mod or tell others what the thread is for. If I'm wrong I'm more than happy to let an actual mod correct me. Otherwise you are more than welcome to press the ignore button and continue in this thread unaffected

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
You want to compare which game is best then compare physics, you can't compare which car 'sim' is best based on aesthetics, it's just silly, the one which gives you the best driving experience is the winner imo, that's what's most important in these types of games.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Id say at current pace, the next Forza game should secure it as the top sim racer in the market. I mean when a game released over a year ago and a 2-3 year dev cycle has qualities better than a new release with 5 years dev time, i think that says something.

Polyphony needs to seriously step it up for the next release. Wonder if it was a troubled development.

nib95

Banned
PopcornMegaphone said:
See, this is what I'd be raging about.

It's not hard to find inconsistency in either game.

forza-motorsport-3-xbox-360-396.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-xbox-360-412.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-xbox-360-427.jpg

Point is, both games have their lows. Admittedly GT's are pretty damn low, then again it's average is still a lot better than most so I guess that makes things less damaging.

~Kinggi~ said:
Id say at current pace, the next Forza game should secure it as the top sim racer in the market. I mean when a game released over a year ago and a 2-3 year dev cycle has qualities better than a new release with 5 years dev time, i think that says something.

Polyphony needs to seriously step it up for the next release. Wonder if it was a troubled development.

Well Kaz did say he wanted another 10 years to finish the game in a quote somewhere.

Turn10 really needs to step up their development cycle, if they take advantage of this debacle, they will replace GT series as a standard for racing sims with their next racer.

Haunted

I hope racing developers pay more attention to the grassy ground textures in the future. Shit looks like Twilight Princess in places.

nib95

Banned
Haunted said:
Just for the record, I took 2 screens from posts who were dissing GT5 and 2 from posts where GT5 was praised as the second coming.

Even the 'good ones' you've posted weren't exactly great. All of the one's posted in the link above are probably better.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nib95 said:
Even the 'good ones' you've posted weren't exactly great. All of the one's posted in the link above are probably better.
The scary thing is that they aren't. The 2d trees look really fucking jarring. I like to see the car in racing games, but the surroundings are still my focus. Thank god some games do put emphasis on that (Dirt 2).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
See You Next Wednesday said:
Turn10 really needs to step up their development cycle, if they take advantage of this debacle, they will replace GT series as a standard for racing sims with their next racer.

Id say at current pace, the next Forza game should secure it as the top sim racer in the market.

I think Forza Kinect is going to really disappoint you all.

It's clear that Turn 10 has been heading in a casual direction with Forza with 3 (rewind, livery editor, etc.) That's not a bad thing at all, and in fact opens up the game to a lot more people than GT5. But if you think T10 is going to completely redo all the physics and try and compete with the hard core aspect of GT, you're wrong wrong wrong. T10 would be idiots to even try. Better to go the sim-casual route like they're doing and still keep their fans aboard.

Haunted

theignoramus said:
Wasnt some guy a few pages earlier lavishing praise on Forza's grass?:lol
Whoever that was was a terrible person.

Proper grass or bust. Think FIFA 06.

nib95 said:
I started on page 87 (because I remembered gameplay shots there) and grabbed the first couple I saw. I agree that the shots chubs linked to earlier look even better than the positives I've found.

nib95 said:
It's not hard to find inconsistency in either game.

forza-motorsport-3-xbox-360-396.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-xbox-360-412.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-xbox-360-427.jpg

Point is, both games have their lows. Admittedly GT's are pretty damn low, then again it's average is still a lot better than most so I guess that makes things less damaging.

Stripper13 said:
Well fuck. The fact that my wife (who really couldn't give a Fuck about graphics) found the rain effect, tire wall and grass texture to be fucking laughable says more to me than any of the coming tech analysis will. Not once in forza 3 did I have to think about my car/track combination. It was consistent across the board. Good models, good effects, good tracks/textures, good cockpit views.....Drive to the second last corner of Laguna SECA in a 'premium car' (use cockpit view with rain on for more lulz) and have a look at tirewall and grass texture on the hills. Turn 10 would have cut that track before shipping something that fucking terrible. That makes them A-team in my eyes.

:lol :lol

Redbeard

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:

Forza 3 doesn't have any substantive qualities that are better. Its inferior physics model renders Forza 3 to be more similar to an arcade racer than a sim, and it seems Forza's developers are OK with that more casual experience.

And even on other less important issues, such as graphics, Forza doesn't look anywhere near as good thanks to the flat lighting and inferior car models.

Unless some useless feature like custom drawings on your cars is your thing, Forza has a lot to catch up to.

theignoramus said:
:lol :lol

Funny. Those pics look pretty similar to the ingame GT5 pics posted earlier. Even funnier - none of those look even remotely as bad as some of the shit I have seen in GT5 (Laguna SECA :lol )

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
~Kinggi~ said:

They have stepped it up, compare GT5:prologue's physics system to GT5's and you see that it's vastly improved, surely this one of the most important factors in a game like this, looking to sim racers for amazing 'in game' graphics is counter productive imo, it just seems the vast majority of people on here are using the wrong aspects of either game as a deciding factor as to which is best, these are 'driving simulators', think about it.

Also sim racers in general have pretty average looking tracks anyway because in real life motor sports tracks are also pretty average looking, what's important is the layout of the track, and how your car feels on it, these aren't arcade racers, look at the top gear track for example, it's an amazing track but essentially it's just a course laid out on a rather bland air field strip, how amazing do we need that to look?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
chubigans said:
But if you think T10 is going to completely redo all the physics and try and compete with the hard core aspect of GT, you're wrong wrong wrong. T10 would be idiots to even try. Better to go the sim-casual route like they're doing and still keep their fans aboard.

I dunno, they're pretty close as it is. simracing.tv was gaga over Forza 3's physics. They're as hardcore as you can get.

Redbeard

Banned
RSTEIN said:
I dunno, they're pretty close as it is. simracing.tv was gaga over Forza 3's physics. They're as hardcore as you can get.

Apparently not hardcore enough if they didn't find this appaling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkxSZoHbYY

chubigans said:
Yup, this thread is now way bigger than the Forza 3 OT. That's kind of insane.

Well, GT5's OT will probably be bigger than Forza 3's LTD OT before GT5's first week of release is said and done. It already has more replies.

beast786

lowrider007 said:
They have stepped it up, compare GT5:prologue's physics system to GT5's and you see that it's vastly improved, surely this one of the most important factors in a game like this, looking to sim racers for amazing 'in game' graphics is counter productive imo, it just seems the vast majority of people on here are using the wrong aspects of either game as a deciding factor as to which is best, these are 'driving simulators', think about it.

Also sim racers in general have pretty average looking tracks anyway because in real life motor sports tracks are also pretty average looking, what's important is the layout of the track, and how your car feels on it, these aren't arcade racers, look at the top gear track for example, it's an amazing track but essentially it's just a course laid out on a rather bland air field strip, how amazing do we need that to look?

Because you can only compare what is available in both. GT took a huge step forward with new Physics, New AI,double cars per track, Dynamic weather (Snow,Rain), day-night, Nascar,WRC,3D, course maker and even Kart.

Hence , the only way to compare is graphics, because that is the only thing common now is that they both have cars.

Blame!

cesspool as it is, i find it its hard to stay away from gt planet because they have the most screenshots of the game. i just saw these a little while ago and i think they are probably the most realistic screenshots of ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN. so how far off is the game from photomode graphically?? i mean wtf these could pass as photographs.

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
Redbeard said:
Forza 3 doesn't have any substantive qualities that are better. Its inferior physics model renders Forza 3 to be more similar to an arcade racer than a sim, and it seems Forza's developers are OK with that more casual experience.

And even on other less important issues, such as graphics, Forza doesn't look anywhere near as good thanks to the flat lighting and inferior car models.

Unless some useless feature like custom drawings on your cars is your thing, Forza has a lot to catch up to.
I think that PD's piss-poor decisions on usability issues such as waiting to access a menu or spending minutes to load a track, coupled with their choices to split the quality of their content between ps2 era models and ps3 models makes for an overall worse experience than what Forza 3 provided.

And as far as Forza not looking anywhere near as good, i think thats just wrong basically.

jett

D-Member
As far as photomode goes, these ones posted in the photo thread are just crazy.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_2.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_3.jpg

At least PD future-proofed themselves with these models.

So none of the people actually owning GT5 (me included) have seen any of those atrocious standard cars in game. What are the chances they are actually imports from GT PSP?

Another standard car:
A8BITl.jpg

Stallion Free said:
Holy shit is that real? Look I'm all for detailed cars, but if that's how the track looks I may not bother picking the game up.

It's not. The lighting is totally off and it's a very bad capture. Similar to a very prominent Forza 3 shot I remember from earlier on in this thread. Difference is that GT fanboys jumped on that one while this time it's the other way round.

Top Bottom