• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

KHarvey16

cgcg said:
:lol Oh how quickly for you to jump to Forza's defense. You must be smoking something serious if you think those GT5 pics aren't glitches.

Holy shit at that second Forza video. The car floated through the entire race. It must be few hundred feets off the ground at the highest. :lol :lol

It's an online race. If the GT5 pics are from online or some crazy track someone edited they're worth exactly as much as that video.

LCfiner

Gran Turismo wins because it has zombie Jeff Gordon.

jeffgordonmeme01.jpg

From |OT|

This thread is ludicrous. I just find it funny that we're sitting here, several months later and actually having a "debate" as to whether GT5's graphics are equal to Forzas. Who would of thought.

N-Bomb said:
GT5 needs to sell like 4x as many copies as F3 to make money, doesn't it? Not including DLC and other shaznitz.
No. Prologue is past 5m now, GT:pSP is over 2m. GT5 will make a lot more money than Forza 3 ever will.

sdornan

Wait? Someone's trying to use sales figures to determine which game is better? Next you're going to tell me that New Super Mario Bros. is a better game than either Super Mario Galaxy.

enzo_gt said:
Whats worst about this picture is that this character model is better than some character models in full 60$ action games devs are putting out today. SMH.
To be fair, those games didn't didn't have six-year development cycles.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LCfiner said:
Gran Turismo wins because it has zombie Jeff Gordon.

jeffgordonmeme01.jpg

From |OT|
Whats worst about this picture is that this character model is better than some character models in full 60$ action games devs are putting out today. SMH.

beast786

sdornan said:
Wait? Someone's trying to use sales figures to determine which game is better? Next you're going to tell me that New Super Mario Bros. is a better game than either Super Mario Galaxy.

Same goes with review scores.

As per Metacritic, Motorstorm is better than Mostorstom 2. :lol

MS2 beats orginal MS in every possible category.

LCfiner

enzo_gt said:

you need to see “it” animate. it’s not human. it’s a soulless automaton that devours human flesh.

the flappy, fully open mouth movements and dead eyes still give me nightmares.

sdornan

beast786 said:
Same goes with review scores.

As per Metacritic, Motorstorm is better than Mostorstom 2. :lol

MS2 beats orginal MS in every possible category.
But the quality of a game is exactly what a review score is meant to quantify. It's a direct correlation. Not agreeing with the Metascore difference between the scores of two particular games doesn't make all reviews invalid. Besides, the difference between those two games' scores is all of 2 points.

Piggus

les papillons sexuels said:
talking about the GT images with the flying cars. For someone touting realism in physics the argument dies when you're comparing a little driver aid.

to this

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5219376997_e06cf414ae_b.jpg

:lol

Right. Since a glitch that most people will never experience is more of a physics-related issue than something that affects the game's physics 100% OF THE TIME.

Keep trying. Forza's physics are dumbed down thanks to driving aids like active steering which cannot be turned off. You simply cannot make an argument for the game's physics engine with those permanent aids in place.

Shaneus

Truespeed said:
The people that bought the 4 million copies of Prologue bankrolled GT5.
Oh, that's right! The Forza 3 demo was *free*. If they'd charged for it maybe they could have had 16 cars on track (with obligatory tearing) as well :lol

sdornan said:
But the quality of a game is exactly what a review score is meant to quantify. It's a direct correlation. Not agreeing with the Metascore difference between the scores of two particular games doesn't make all reviews invalid. Besides, the difference between those two games' scores is all of 2 points.
Gta Iv, halo 3, LBP, Gears 2, etc. They have limited credibility. appeals to metacritic as an authority is a bit of a joke. (well....maybe not for some developers paychecks,lol)

Truespeed

Shaneus said:
Oh, that's right! The Forza 3 demo was *free*. If they'd charged for it maybe they could have had 16 cars on track (with obligatory tearing) as well :lol

Well, if Turn 10 put as much effort into their demo's as PD did then you might be on to something. As it turned out all I played was a 5 car / 1 track POS demo.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Truespeed said:
Well, if Turn 10 put as much effort into their demo's as PD did then you might be on to something. As it turned out all I played was a 5 car / 1 track POS demo.

We all know how the final product turned out.

Apath

theignoramus said:
Gta Iv, halo 3, LBP, Gears 2, etc. They have limited credibility. appeals to metacritic as an authority is a bit of a joke. (well....maybe not for some developers paychecks,lol)
What are you trying to say? The games listed are not worthy of critical acclaim?

hamchan

This thread is funny and sad at the same time. I hope it lasts for years then eventually archived so the shame can live on forever.

Truespeed

KHarvey16 said:
You're right, with sagging Kinect sales and Forza selling barely a dozen units they'll try almost anything these days.

Considering the rate at which Microsoft shuts down development studio's they better hop onto that Kinect gravy train.

sdornan

theignoramus said:
But those are all good games. I'm confused.

duk

Banned
chubigans said:
So another site posted a review:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/gran-...a-20101125101232492010/g-20070711154452396099

And what I said in the review thread applies here, too:

Just read the GamesRadar review...and it's a legitimate opinion IMO. I'm having a blast with the game, and it's easily my GOTY...I don't see any racer near GT5...but at the same time I understand completely what he's saying, and he's not wrong.

The comparison to Forza and it's ability to have all "premium" cars has always been a bit flaky to me though. From Forza 1 to Forza 2, there were over 100 cars added with a majority being ported over from the original Xbox game to the 360. And because the Xbox was a nice powerful piece of tech, it wasn't really a big deal- the cars still looked good.

The jump from PS2 to PS3 is nowhere near as "easy", as shown by the standard cars in GT5. Polyphony essentially had to throw everything away and start fresh with GT5. And when they couldn't get to the level of cars and tracks from the PS2 version, they just threw all the PS2 assets in there anyways.

Does it hurt the overall "cohesiveness" of GT5? Yes it does. But consider the alternative. Look at Grand Theft Auto IV- a game that's miles apart graphically from GTAIII but much, much less things to do (rampages, medical games, etc.) Or the newest Final Fantasy. These were games that were hampered by the new HD era of gaming- getting a game to have that next gen feel but at the same time sacrificing much of the original game's qualities due to the budget and time frame.

Polyphony did the right thing for gamers by supplementing GT5 with older assets to create an enormous amount of depth. A year from now there's not going to be many people talking about GT5's graphical package, but there sure as hell going to be people still playing the game. And that's really what matters.

Wait what? Top Tier GFX is one of the core fundamentals of any GT game. GT5 didn't undisputatedly deliver on this thus we are having this dicussion now. I am not just talking about upscaled tracks and cars from GT4, I can kind of understand the burden of having to model 1000+ cars but that was a design choice and the devs have to live with it (they had 5+ years after all). The real problem to me is inconsistent FPS and screen tearing a no no in a sim racer game.

duk said:
Wait what? Top Tier GFX is one of the core fundamentals of any GT game.
people in here are playing dumb. it's the only way I can explain how people can conveniently pretend GT5 wasn't as much about graphics as gameplay...then happily make their way over TO THE FUCKING GT5 PHOTOGRAPH THREAD and drool. and remind us that GT4 models were cleaner than Forza models. etc. etc. etc.

it's so fucking disingenuous. Shit only matters when it's expedient. Otherwise, derp derp derp!

Truespeed said:
Considering the rate at which Microsoft shuts down development studio's they better hop onto that Kinect gravy train.
here we go!

iceatcs

Afrikan said:
daaaamn this thread is getting its second wind.

popcorn.gif
More likely. It goes around a circle.

Car model -> track environment -> framerate -> driver physics -> who love developers most -> saleage -> year of develop

m0dus

Banned
Truespeed said:

I can almost taste the rage . . . and I sense bad emo poetry coming on . . .

Atomski

Nafai1123 said:
Quick question, which of you guys arguing for one game or another have actually reached max lvl in GT5?

We have better more entertaining things to do like watch gt5 owners nerd rage with all their might.
:D

Apath

theignoramus said:
yep, that's absolutely what I was saying. Spot on in fact.
I could understand not finding those games to be of your particular taste, but to negate them as great titles to the point where a website finding them to be such is discredited is a little far, no? At least your name fits.

Shaneus

Truespeed said:
Maybe Turn 10 didn't have to put the effort in because they knew it wasn't going to be another 5 years before the (almost) full game was released :lol

Ploid 3.0

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Yeah, but photo mode can make anything look 100x better than it really is. Here's another standard.

/self-pimpage

[I//i.imgur.com/1ppY7.jpg[/IMG]

Granted it still looks pretty good in-game.

Majority of my cars have been standard (cars used in events, not collecting dust). My best car is a standard, and I treat it like a baby, looks good to me too. Just too bad they don't have some sort of cockpit view.

dejay

Banned
*tapdances with glee whilst reading this thread*

I will say boo to those who think an occasional flying car glitch is a bad thing. Some of my happiest gaming moments came from glitches.

Ploid 3.0

I made pikes peak in GT2 fly. That monster couldn't be held down by gravity. On Cape in GT5 I leave the ground a bit on that hill. Never tried making a ramp in the map maker. On my to do list.

Gaf should play on a track with that kind of ramp. Could be funny. Anything to get rid of the Nascar obsession.

Ashes

Banned
"Ever wondered how close the lap times in games like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport come to the real thing?

We have been wanting to run this feature for just about forever, but had to wait for Gran Turismo to be released before we could do it properly. In this test we carefully selected two car/track setups to compare lap times with the real thing.

We sourced the real fastest lap times for each car on its respective track and then compared them to Gran Turismo 5 and Forza Motorsport 3."

Source
GTinfographic-tm.jpg

Dear me, I feel silly... :lol

Edit: oh yeah, is this the first comparison Gt5 wins?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ashes1396 said:
"Ever wondered how close the lap times in games like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport come to the real thing?

We have been wanting to run this feature for just about forever, but had to wait for Gran Turismo to be released before we could do it properly. In this test we carefully selected two car/track setups to compare lap times with the real thing.

We sourced the real fastest lap times for each car on its respective track and then compared them to Gran Turismo 5 and Forza Motorsport 3."

Source
GTinfographic-tm.jpg

Dear me, I feel silly... :lol

Edit: oh yeah, is this the first comparison Gt5 wins?

Now do a comparison of Forza's fastest lap time when it had been out the same amount of time as GT5.

Ashes

Banned
Timedog said:
Now do a comparison of Forza's fastest lap time when it had been out the same amount of time as GT5.

Don't ask me to divide by zero. Again. Please. :p

edit: just in case it needed saying... I know what he means... :lol

Top Bottom