• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

saladine1

Has anyone non biased...(hard I know) on Gaf actually made a comaprison test?
I'm not talking about fucking tress, fences and dogs looking better on this or that.
Actual lap times,physics,sounds..etc on more than one type of car and track.

Obviously, the test should require the driver to use the same steering wheel if possible( Fanatec?),same view, no aids, same tyres,no upgrades, a good few hours on both games, good capture card, had something to eat.
Take notes on certain occasions such as how each game's vehicle handles a tight hairpin for example,gear changes and ratios,braking points,oversteer/understeer, off track physics, collisions,sound effects..etc

Anyone up to the task?

this thread is funny and all, seriously though....

PD and T10 need to merge and make the ultimate driving game of all time so we can actually have something to
compare to PGR4

Ashes

Banned
Wait a minute timedog... It's the same track... why wouldn't that test be fair? This is a driving game after all.
The biggest difference may be the wheel, where I think gt5 would have the advantage, but it seems forza has the advantage...
Almost five seconds on tsukuba is a massive difference...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Ashes1396 said:
Wait a minute timedog... It's the same track... why wouldn't that test be fair? This is a driving game after all.
The biggest difference may be the wheel, where I think gt5 would have the advantage, but it seems forza has the advantage...
Almost five seconds on tsukuba is a massive difference...

Assists (internal FM 3 aids and all that noise) maybe if it was completely disabled via patch (don't even know they could do it) it'll be similarly close to GT/real times.

I think FM 1 and or FM 2, I know FM 1 for sure had identical real world lap times. Saw a report a long time ago on it.

Ashes

Banned
Ahh that'd explain it. Fairly stupid on their part to change something at the hardcore sim end. And when they had seemingly perfected it first time round...

damn.

GameSpot flopped this game after spending a week with it to make sure they could provide a full critique of the game.

color me shocked. Based on these threads, I assumed that the longer you play the game the better it gets. so to know GS and GamesRadar played the game a full week before posting their reviews...and still giving it no better than an 8.0 and a 7.5 respectfully, Polyphony is probably going to have to take a good hard look at the future of this franchise and where they can take it so that it gets back into the pole position it preoccupied for so long. before the Forza came and buried its flag in the console sand.

vanty

Slayer-33 said:
Assists (internal FM 3 aids and all that noise) maybe if it was completely disabled via patch (don't even know they could do it) it'll be similarly close to GT/real times.

I think FM 1 and or FM 2, I know FM 1 for sure had identical real world lap times. Saw a report a long time ago on it.
From what I remember of FM1, Tsukuba certainly wasn't even close to real world lap times. You could go a good 5 seconds faster than the exact same car did on Best MOTORing at the hands of a pro driver who's probably done over 1000 laps of the track over the years. Looking at that picture, FM3 is no different.

But this makes perfect sense for a videogame. If a game's lap times are really close to real world times, the game is too slow. You can go crazy 100% attack mode in a game in ways you wouldn't do at all in real life because there are actual dangers.

Dreams-Visions said:
damn.

GameSpot flopped this game after spending a week with it to make sure they could provide a full critique of the game.

color me shocked. Based on these threads, I assumed that the longer you play the game the better it gets. so to know GS and GamesRadar played the game a full week before posting their reviews...and still giving it no better than an 8.0 and a 7.5 respectfully, Polyphony is probably going to have to take a good hard look at the future of this franchise and where they can take it so that it gets back into the pole position it preoccupied for so long. before the Forza came and buried its flag in the console sand.
Aren't you exaggerating a little here? :p Nothings really changed, it's still number one overall and just look at how many racing game threads got bumped on GAF and how many games were compared to it in reviews. The genre needed a new GT badly and everyone wins. Although I do agree that PD is in serious trouble, actually, the whole of SCEJ is in hot water. This was supposed to be their flagship title and a sign of what Japan could still accomplish on a technical level and show that they were still able to keep up with the social and integrated landscape of gaming today. But we ended up with a rather "meh" offering, sure it's fun and enjoyable. But it's just not enough for GT to be "good enough" it has to lead. And honestly, to me it seems that GT5 is riding off the coattails of the series name.

I'm glad we got reviews like these. PD has always received top marks and hopefully this will get them to hunker down for GT6. I think Kaz himself will be disappointed, they may get the sales, but it really isn't something to celebrate at all. I wonder if they even worked with other first party developers on the game? There's some neat technical things they're pulling off, but at the same time it just seems so poor for a first party title. Loading, aliasing in environments, menus, these are all things that PS3 developers and especially first party, ironed out ages ago.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
vanty said:
From what I remember of FM1, Tsukuba certainly wasn't even close to real world lap times. You could go a good 5 seconds faster than the exact same car did on Best MOTORing at the hands of a pro driver who's probably done over 1000 laps of the track over the years. Looking at that picture, FM3 is no different.

But this makes perfect sense for a videogame. If a game's lap times are really close to real world times, the game is too slow. You can go crazy 100% attack mode in a game in ways you wouldn't do at all in real life because there are actual dangers.

I remember one of the pro drivers mentioning that :lol

CrushDance said:
Aren't you exaggerating a little here? :p Nothings really changed, it's still number one overall and just look at how many racing game threads got bumped on GAF and how many games were compared to it in reviews. The genre needed a new GT badly and everyone wins. Although I do agree that PD is in serious trouble, actually, the whole of SCEJ is in hot water. This was supposed to be their flagship title and a sign of what Japan could still accomplish on a technical level and show that they were still able to keep up with the social and integrated landscape of gaming today. But we ended up with a rather "meh" offering, sure it's fun and enjoyable. But it's just not enough for GT to be "good enough" it has to lead. And honestly, to me it seems that GT5 is riding off the coattails of the series name.

I'm glad we got reviews like these. PD has always received top marks and hopefully this will get them to hunker down for GT6. I think Kaz himself will be disappointed, they may get the sales, but it really isn't something to celebrate at all. I wonder if they even worked with other first party developers on the game? There's some neat technical things they're pulling off, but at the same time it just seems so poor for a first party title. Loading, aliasing in environments, menus, these are all things that PS3 developers and especially first party, ironed out ages ago.

What they should have done was release the game with the 200 premium cars, focused on the tracks/sound/ui/framerate/tearing and lower the vehicle on road count to 12, as time went on re-fucking lease car packs as DLC (for the standard model ones as premium NO standard models) over the life of the game.

They would have banked it a hell of a lot more and the games quality would have been unhindered by rushed sloppy quickpacked work. Hell wasn't that the original plan? Charge $$$ for premium car packs and skip standard all together?

Loudninja

CrushDance said:

Serious trouble? you really cant be serious?Also the game is getting top marks so I really don't know what you taking about Crush.You are over exaggerating much as him.

Loudninja said:
Serious trouble? you really cant be serious?Also the game is getting top marks so I really don't know what you taking about Crush.You are over exaggerating much as him.
I'm talking about Japanese developers. They've failed to show up to the table way too much this gen. PD is known for what? Attention to detail, visual presentation, serious heart for the automobile. GT5 isn't being put through the wringer by critics for fun, it hasn't lived up to expectations of what the series stands for. Who in the world would have ever thought that GT5 would have such ancient problems that developers worked out early on? This game should have been the cumulation of everything we've seen from the PS3's best and then some. They are not in "trouble" because the series is dying or bad. They are in trouble because from what I've seen of GT5, they're not up their with the rest of developers this gen. And to me, that's shocking! Nobody here even thought that Forza 3 would be comparable to GT5, you would've been laughed at several months ago. It feels like the PS3 launch all over again, and once again, software is to blame.

Slayer-33 said:
I remember one of the pro drivers mentioning that :lol

What they should have done was release the game with the 200 premium cars, focused on the tracks/sound/ui/framerate/tearing and lower the vehicle on road count to 12, as time went on re-fucking lease car packs as DLC (for the standard model ones as premium NO standard models) over the life of the game.

They would have banked it a hell of a lot more and the games quality would have been unhindered by rushed sloppy quickpacked work. Hell wasn't that the original plan? Charge $$$ for premium car packs and skip standard all together?
Agreed. 200 cars is a lot and some of the standards are plain embarrassing when you get a ticket and it rolls out of the darkness as a jagged mess. I really like PD, one of my favourite devs for sure. That's why to me I find it so shocking that they put out a title like this. Could you imagine Naughty Dog releasing Uncharted 3 and having it run worse than 2? Someone here said less is more a couple pages back, he was right.

SmokyDave

This thread is golden. Makes me eager for the Forza 7 / GT6 Showdown. My favourite bit was when we praised the driving model in Forza whilst lamenting the 'dumbing down' of the physics in GT5. I got a good laugh out of that part.

If this gets made into a film, I want to be played by Ethan Hawke.

Nafai1123 said:
Quick question, which of you guys arguing for one game or another have actually reached max lvl in GT5?
I'm level 20 in GT5 and level 50 in Forza 3. We should be made to prove these things before posting in here, it'd cut the console warriors out.

Shaneus

SmokyDave said:
I'm level 20 in GT5 and level 50 in Forza 3. We should be made to prove these things before posting in here, it'd cut the console warriors out.
After not playing Forza 3 for ages, I fired it up earlier and was a single race away from hitting 40. I couldn't believe I stopped playing when I was that close :lol

FWIW, sitting on 11 in GT5 atm. Steam sale has diverted my attention temporarily.

dejay

Banned
SmokyDave said:

But mama, that's where the fun is.

eso76

Fm3 tracks look 'smaller' than GT5's.
Suzuka and Tsukuba both look like they are a little 'narrower' than they should, it looks like the scale is very slightly off.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Most of you people are comparing screenshots with different sun angles.

anyways.

Just letting you guys know, I haven't seen of felt an experience better than GT5 nurburgring nordschleife (sunny) on any racing game I've driven in my vast, vast simulator portfolio. Jaggies shadows tearing or not.

Some cars with the correct tyres, its has really good physics (I come from 65.000km in LFS. I think I'm qualified to say.)

Ploid 3.0

Nurburgring at night with gaf laughing and talking about the people who may or may not be pushing anyone that comes alongside their car for 24miles x2 in 25 or so minutes. Best racing experience for me. Watching the backs of the other guys lit up by your headlights, spotting how messed up they got their cars because of the narrow road and all the bumping thanks to the night. Motor Storm has to have night with headlights, but they went all city. This night nurburgring race felt like escaping from Louisiana woods. Couldn't stop laughing at the chatter, and being accused of taking shortcuts (lost control and ran on some parallel grass that provided no actual shortcut).

So, I've read through a few dozen pages (yikes) and am wondering one thing that probably just shows my total ignorance in this whole shebang, as I can't imagine it hasn't been addressed already:

Forza 3 came out more than a year before GT5. Isn't comparing things like content, lighting, polish, and technical minutiae pretty ridiculous given that fact? Why the insistence on a direct head-to-head despite such a release gap?

mil6es

spyshagg said:
Most of you people are comparing screenshots with different sun angles.

anyways.

Just letting you guys know, I haven't seen of felt an experience better than GT5 nurburgring nordschleife (sunny) on any racing game I've driven in my vast, vast simulator portfolio. Jaggies shadows tearing or not.

Some cars with the correct tyres, its has really good physics (I come from 65.000km in LFS. I think I'm qualified to say.)

truth even tho I would take LFS over GT5 every day of the week

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Truespeed said:
Fortunately, the people and their wallets have spoken. GT5 did in 2 days when Forza 3 did in over a year.

Yes, people and their wallets speak very loudly. A lot of people went to see Transformers 2 (it has made hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide). I doubt Black Swan, which will probably win this year's Oscar for best picture, will get over $40 million domestically.

Yet interestingly Black Swan is at 90% and Transformers is at 20% over at Rotten Tomatoes.

bj00rn_

Banned
Mistwalker said:
So, I've read through a few dozen pages (yikes) and am wondering one thing that probably just shows my total ignorance in this whole shebang, as I can't imagine it hasn't been addressed already:

Forza 3 came out more than a year before GT5. Isn't comparing things like content, lighting, polish, and technical minutiae pretty ridiculous given that fact? Why the insistence on a direct head-to-head despite such a release gap?

Because despite this gap and GT5's spikes in excellence there is a growing consensus that Forza 3 is the more polished and balanced product in general. Which also may explain the relatively large disappointment in contrast to expectations.

SmokyDave

RSTEIN said:
Yes, people and their wallets speak very loudly. A lot of people went to see Transformers 2 (it has made hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide). I doubt Black Swan, which will probably win this year's Oscar for best picture, will get over $40 million domestically.

Yet interestingly Black Swan is at 90% and Transformers is at 20% over at Rotten Tomatoes.
I thought you were all about the 'data points'?

Sales are just one more. If you're enjoying the game/s, then they're irrelevant. If you absolutely must have a numeric score to judge a game by, sales & reviews are about as useful as each other, I'd say.

RSTEIN

SmokyDave said:
I thought you were all about the 'data points'?

Sales are just one more. If you're enjoying the game/s, then they're irrelevant. If you absolutely must have a numeric score to judge a game by, sales & reviews are about as useful as each other, I'd say.

I am about the data points. Sales is a very important one. Without a doubt, the 'check mark' will go to GT5.

The poster I was quoting was trying to make the point that more sales = better game. He said "people and their wallets have spoken." I'm saying there's no link between sales and quality or what's 'better' for anything... art, film, literature, etc. This should be obvious.

GT5's monster sales do speak very loudly about the game. It's an excellent game (and franchise) worthy of the tremendous sales.

mil6es

RSTEIN said:

yeah but Inception might win this years oscar and is a good film, how does that work??

Shurs

RSTEIN said:

Comparing an $8 movie to which you dedicate 2 hours of your life to a $60 video game? Doesn't feel like an apples to apples comparison.

RSTEIN

mil6es said:
yeah but Inception might win this years oscar and is a good film, how does that work??

Yup, more often than not great games achieve commercial success (like GT5).

Again, please pay attention to the point: the poster's link between sales and 'quality' (i.e. sales as the ultimate measuring stick) is what I'm questioning, not that GT5 doesn't 'deserve' the massive sales it will probably record.

Massa

Mistwalker said:

Why is it ridiculous to compare two games that are out now? These aren't shooters that people move on after a week, in fact there's a good chance these games won't have sequels until a new generation of hardware comes out. These are basically the only two games of a genre where fans spend hundreds of hours in these games. That fuels a lot of discussion.

The reason I haven't bought GT5 yet is because I'm not close to being done with Forza 3. Hell, I still have a lot to do in GT PSP before I have time for another sim racer of this caliber.

Of course this isn't a proper comparison as most of the posts are purely trolling. In that sense I totally understand questioning what's the point of it existing in this forum...

sajj316

Mistwalker said:

What else are you going to compare it to? After reading almost every page of this thread, one thing is for sure. There are perfectionists perfectly perfecting perfectionism more than PD.

RSTEIN

Does anyone have a count of Forza 3's sales (so I can include it in the comparison chart against GT5's first week of sales (which will probably be like 1/3rd of Forza 3's total sales :lol)

Mastperf

Loudninja said:
The fact that Microsoft managed to make a worth challenger to GT in a fraction of the time shows he might not be that far off. Did anyone actually expect to even be able to compare F3 with GT5 and it not be a sweeping victory? (Cue the fantards saying "It is a sweeping victory!"). This is what Polyphony does. They've been considered masters of the art.

mil6es

RSTEIN said:
Does anyone have a count of Forza 3's sales (so I can include it in the comparison chart against GT5's first week of sales (which will probably be like 1/3rd of Forza 3's total sales :lol)

nobody knows for sure, the only info is that back in Jan it was 2mill We dont know if it included or excluded bundles

i'm going with excluded bundles

Zaptruder

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
Because despite this gap and GT5's spikes in excellence there is a growing consensus that Forza 3 is the more polished and balanced product in general. Which also may explain the relatively large disappointment in contrast to expectations.

I'd say at least in large part, this has to do with the fact that most GT5 fans are a bit too busy playing GT5 to actually defend GT5.

As for me... if Microsoft weren't such a bore about their peripherals standards, I'd probably have enjoyed Forza 3 a whole lot more.

As it is, playing F3 on the 360 game pad simply doesn't compare to using a G25 with GT5.

I know you can get a fancy porsche fantatec wheel or some such... but how many wheels should I have to buy to enjoy these games?

Mastperf

Truespeed:
Fortunately, the people and their wallets have spoken. GT5 did in 2 days when Forza 3 did in over a year.
So you think that Mario Kart is far superior to GT5? It's funny when sales start mattering and when the fantards decide to ignore them.
But, do come back when you can handle 8 additional cars on the track in a higher resolution and in 4xMSAA. I mean, it's not even a fair fight.
Do come back when GT5 can "handle" that too. Maybe you've missed how poorly it's being "handled"? How about coming back when it can handle 60 fps without massive tearing/slowdown?

CozMick

Banned
RSTEIN said:

In the UK Forza 3 debuted at number 2, behind Pro Evo 10, not sure about the numbers yet.

October '09 NPD listed Forza 3 as selling 175,000 copies in 5 days.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
mil6es said:
Are you shitting me? I highly doubt Inception will get much consideration.

LosDaddie

Banned
Wow....after reading the last 5 pages, I'm really surprised Forza3 is still holding its own. I figured after all this dev time, there would no question which franchis was the sim racing king.

Dreams-Visions said:
damn.

GameSpot flopped this game after spending a week with it to make sure they could provide a full critique of the game..

Since I know you're a former Gamespotter like myself; Have you checked out their SW forum yet today? It's filled with comments like this:

Truespeed said:
Fortunately, the people and their wallets have spoken. GT5 did in 2 days when Forza 3 did in over a year. But, do come back when you can handle 8 additional cars on the track in a higher resolution and in 4xMSAA. I mean, it's not even a fair fight.

:lol

bj00rn_ said:
Thank you kindly for the response, it does explain some of the trends of this thread.

Massa said:
Why is it ridiculous to compare two games that are out now? These aren't shooters that people move on after a week, in fact there's a good chance these games won't have sequels until a new generation of hardware comes out. These are basically the only two games of a genre where fans spend hundreds of hours in these games. That fuels a lot of discussion.
I suppose it's not the comparison but the disregard for context in a lot of the arguments, with some need to declare an unequivocal victor, that made me as the question. It just seems disingenuous to say "GT5 has X feature, PD > Turn10, GT5 wins" when PD had a lot of extra development time. But as you say, both titles are what you can basically expect from the respective platforms on shelves now, and they do have their various strengths and shortcomings.

Somewhat related: is there a decent wheel that is compatible with both, or better yet usable with the 360, PS3 and PC? Was set on skipping GT5 but what I really need is a good platform-agnostic racing wheel.

SmokyDave said:
This thread is golden. Makes me eager for the Forza 7 / GT6 Showdown. My favourite bit was when we praised the driving model in Forza whilst lamenting the 'dumbing down' of the physics in GT5. I got a good laugh out of that part.

If this gets made into a film, I want to be played by Ethan Hawke.

What R1 car did you use in the home stretch on forza, its pretty damn tough as shit the last year in the season mode. FUCK YOU R1.:D

h3ro

supermackem said:
What R1 car did you use in the home stretch on forza, its pretty damn tough as shit the last year in the season mode. FUCK YOU R1.:D

I used the Acura LeMans car with some 24inch rims on it so I could max out the rating. :D

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
damn.

I’m really enjoying the game and sinking a lot of hours into it but if I had to assign a score.. yeah, 8 sounds right.

sure, you can purchase better cars at higher levels and play more tracks but the core driving experience is the same at level 1 and level 10 and level 18… maybe it changes at level 40 if actual mechanical damage unlocks but that’s asking a hell of a time commitment to achieve. you’d need to play 8 hours a day for over a week…

the driving is great, and I really like the photo travel mode, but there’s a lot of stuff in this game that brings it down a couple notches. the simplistic career mode, the low res shadows and dust effects, the up-ressed PS2 tracks and cars.

it’s an odd package.

I would still recommend that anyone who likes cars and driving games buy it (and a wheel :)

beast786

Dreams-Visions said:
damn.

color me shocked before the Forza came and buried its flag in the console sand.

Gamespot said:
This is simultaneously the most accessible GT game yet and the most uncompromisingly realistic driving game on a console to date..

:lol

supermackem said:

Go with the R10 or the 908 for the high speed tracks. The Acura for the tracks with lots of turns(It has better mechanical grip than either the 908 or R10 but gets killed by the diesels on straights).

Theres also the Audi R15 if you bought the first DCL but I'm not a big fan of that car. Its fast but a pain to setup right(amazing if you get it right though). If you have a bad setup on it(well not really bad but a setup that you aren't comfortable with) it will feel like you aren't getting the max out of the car or it will be very unstable and unpredictable.

beast786

LCfiner said:
Am I wrong or is this the first console GT game where licenses are optional? that alone can make it more accessible.

You are correct. But I was just having with the hyperbole of the quoted poster.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Go with the R10 or the 908 for the high speed tracks. The Acura for the tracks with lots of turns(It has better mechanical grip than either the 908 or R10 but gets killed by the diesels on straights).

Theres also the Audi R15 if you bought the first DCL but I'm not a big fan of that car. Its fast but a pain to setup right(amazing if you get it right though). If you have a bad setup on it(well not really bad but a setup that you aren't comfortable with) it will feel like you aren't getting the max out of the car or it will be very unstable and unpredictable.

Im using the 908 atm tuned up to make it a 998 rateing i think, it is a bit of a bitch to keep hold of coming out of the turn.:lol

Top Bottom