• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Hyoushi

BenjaminBirdie said:
Exactly. Not that dismal for Che when millions of people can decide for themselves whether or not its an arcade game as of three and a half hours ago. It's not like they have to take Top Gear's word for it.
Hehe yeah. It's probably just a troll.

Slayer-33 said:
fair comparison til actual GT 5 direct feed hud pics are put up instead of replay shots?

Please tell me those embarassing spectators from GT5p are not in GT5! Other than that, GT looks way more real.

I think the Great Console Driving Sim War can now be condensed into a small poem:

Forza fans get to play
GT fans have a lot of bad things to say
Because GT5 is never coming out

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
schennmu said:
Please tell me those embarassing spectators from GT5p are not in GT5! Other than that, GT looks way more real.

I don't think they are ,

imo it's just like I said the car looks better but the environment not as much, then Forza is a the opposite.

I saw a pic of GT5P that the environment didn't look bad at all though. I'll try to find it.

Hyoushi said:
Hehe yeah. It's probably just a troll.

I don't think it's a troll, maybe a little snarky, but regardless, people can compare their expectations of an arcade game versus a sim game to the actual driving experience right now. I'm sure that differs from person to person. There are probably people who think just including a Rewind fucntion makes FM3 an arcade game and not a sim, etc.

jett

D-Member
LordPhoque said:
Even without.

Do you really think that FM3 looks like on those gamersyde screens ?

Well I guess that's what you call self persuasion.

Hey I didn't make the comparison. :p Maybe you should go complain at gamersyde.

Yoboman

Mohonky said:
It should but it doesn't. It's a little less jaggy but it definitely has jaggies. I've played it on my previous set (720p) and my current (1080p). It's not horrible but they are definitely there which surprised even at the psuedo 1080p res.

Still the better looking game over all, but Forza took quite a big step up in the visuals after 2 to make them at least closer.

As an over all going off GT5P and Forza 3 I would lean toward Forza 3 over all as the better driving experience. GT is more a game for collecting exotic cars, Forza 3 more a game about driving them; what Forza 3 lacks in polish and presentation it makes up for in driving, where what GT lacks in driving is made up for in supreme visual representation and presentation.
GT5 isn't about driving them, how?

I'd say that's exactly what it is about. Moreso than Forza. If you want to talking about racing them, or customising them or crashing them, you might have something.

Yoboman said:
GT5 isn't about driving them, how?

I'd say that's exactly what it is about. Moreso than Forza. If you want to talking about racing them, or customising them or crashing them, you might have something.

TBH, if driving a car is all I want to do, I hop into my Fiat 500.

Apex

Slayer-33 said:
image_forza_motorsport_3-11621-1856_0012.jpg

2sbtu07.jpg

fair comparison til actual GT 5 direct feed hud pics are put up instead of replay shots?
:)

M-Mole

Neo Member
I thought Forza 3's graphics would of looked alot better than GT Prologue's with the game being more focused on running at 720p and also having only 8 cars on track.
But it's seems alittle disappointing in that department.

The crash with the mini looked really good tho, but sum of the other crashes ive seen havnt looked as good.

Hopefully the final version of Forza will be more solid all around which im sure it will be :)

Yoboman

jakonovski said:
TBH, if driving a car is all I want to do, I hop into my Fiat 500.
Well honestly if I want to know what it's like to drive a 458 Italia, a game's going to be the closest I'll ever get. And GT5 + a logitech wheel would be my go-to option

I honestly believe GT drives more realistically. It lacks a lot as a game though compared to Forza

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
holy shit apex, that was IT lol.. I couldn't find it on the net after I lost it.

-

where the hell is my FM3 demo :| I don't see it in the MP.. :lol

LiK

Yoboman said:
Well honestly if I want to know what it's like to drive a 458 Italia, a game's going to be the closest I'll ever get. And GT5 + a logitech wheel would be my go-to option

I honestly believe GT drives more realistically. It lacks a lot as a game though compared to Forza

indeed, if both games were exactly the same, i wouldn't bother buying both of them. they each have their own pros and cons. altho i find this thread highly entertaining and oddly informative (at times).

Yoboman said:

Look for a career in valet parking. :D

Seriously speaking, I really don't know which behaves more realistically. All I know is that GT4 was horrid and Forza 2 was ok. Cue some PC sim nut's recommendation.

jett said:
Hey I didn't make the comparison. :p Maybe you should go complain at gamersyde.

Maybe you should actually play the Forza 3 demo and get a feeling for how it drives. Yup, guess what, it's what a realistic racing game is about. I you want to just have a racing game as a showpiece for your console, simply just invite friends over and show them the rotating car selection :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jakonovski said:
Look for a career in valet parking. :D

Seriously speaking, I really don't know which behaves more realistically. All I know is that GT4 was horrid and Forza 2 was ok. Cue some PC sim nut's recommendation.

I'd like to hear some PC sim nut's opinions, give us some context.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Hyoushi said:
You can find a link in the OP of this thread.

Thanks alot bro :lol had never queued a game up from the PC, I see it as dl'ing on my xbox now :D

2real4tv said:
That got to be a bad capture of F3

Looks legit, but who knows, Fender_UK loves the demo but is seeing alot of aliasing, I wonder if it's off or something.. We'll see when the retail copy hits next month

The environments don't look bad at all, the cars look rough around the edges though.

m0dus

Banned
Playing the demo now. and no, the shots in this thread really aren't representative--it looks much nicer, runs smooth as butter on top of that. Also, the lighting is far more vibrant, and contrast is much higher, than in those pics. Both this demo and prologue have their share of aliasing, Forza3's output is sharper while prologue's is softer--it will be a matter of preference. I'm actually shocked how much better Forza's lighting has become, certain angles are highly realistic. look forward to seeing the other tracks.:)

jax (old)

Banned
what an idiotic thread. The tech has come so far that shift/GT5/FZ3 all look pretty damn good. Anything else is just nit picking for the hell of it. Game mechanics/fun should be where its measured.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
m0dus said:
Playing the demo now. and no, the shots in this thread really aren't representative--it looks much nicer, runs smooth as butter on top of that. Also, the lighting is far more vibrant, and contrast is much higher, than in those pics. Both this demo and prologue have their share of aliasing, Forza3's output is sharper while prologue's is softer--it will be a matter of preference.

I'm still 28% into the DL you rat bastard :| :D

adelante

aren't those GT shots supposed to be 1080 in resolution anyway? Downsampling them tend to remove whatever aliasing that's available...not that the game doesn't look fantastic on its own

jett

D-Member
ResidentDante said:
Maybe you should actually play the Forza 3 demo and get a feeling for how it drives. Yup, guess what, it's what a realistic racing game is about. I you want to just have a racing game as a showpiece for your console, simply just invite friends over and show them the rotating car selection :lol

I will, as soon as you buy me a 360.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do either of these games have 'fixed' driving lines, or are they both dynamic types?

I've been playing Shift, and it does that thing which I think Forza used to do where it adjusts the colour of the line (red=brake, green=accelerate) based on your position and also speed. Its messing me up a bit.

I'd rather have some assistance where it can help with recommended braking points and maybe apexes, perhaps with cones at the side of the track. These would change depending what car I'm driving, but wouldn't change the braking points just becuase i'm going faster or slower

I know you can eventually learn those, but some initial help would be good - especially when you're changing cars a lot going through different events.

jett

D-Member
mrklaw said:
do either of these games have 'fixed' driving lines, or are they both dynamic types?

I've been playing Shift, and it does that thing which I think Forza used to do where it adjusts the colour of the line (red=brake, green=accelerate) based on your position and also speed. Its messing me up a bit.

I'd rather have some assistance where it can help with recommended braking points and maybe apexes, perhaps with cones at the side of the track. These would change depending what car I'm driving, but wouldn't change the braking points just becuase i'm going faster or slower

I know you can eventually learn those, but some initial help would be good - especially when you're changing cars a lot going through different events.

I know in GT5P there's a red light indicator that suggest breaking points. Much better than driving with those lines.

LiK

m0dus said:
Playing the demo now. and no, the shots in this thread really aren't representative--it looks much nicer, runs smooth as butter on top of that. Also, the lighting is far more vibrant, and contrast is much higher, than in those pics. Both this demo and prologue have their share of aliasing, Forza3's output is sharper while prologue's is softer--it will be a matter of preference. I'm actually shocked how much better Forza's lighting has become, certain angles are highly realistic. look forward to seeing the other tracks.:)

ah, glad to hear it. :)

Hanmik

akachan ningen said:
I suppose those gameswire comparisons are also unfair to FM3? They look pretty good to me.

they look really good to me too.. but Gameswire seems to think GT5P looks better (the car models)..

ShapeGSX

Mohonky said:
Audio: Forza 3. Not much of a surprise for me, Forza 2 could easily discern different exhuast notes better than any GT game I've played. Good soundtrack too.

They finally got the turbo audio right in Forza 3! You can definitely hear the Evo X turbo spool up, and it sounds right. The audio has a lot more impact in Forza 3 vs Forza 2.

Features: Can't really compare with GT5 supposedly going to have some damage, weather etc but we pretty much already know what Forza 3 has so for the moment it's a forgone conclusion.

I rolled my Ferrari in the Forza 3 demo today with sim damage on. All the car would do was roll backwards at 1mph. Completely and utterly broken driveline.

freitax

akachan ningen said:
I suppose those gameswire comparisons are also unfair to FM3? They look pretty good to me.

comp.jpg

is fm3 cockpit view 30fps or 60? I think I heard it was 30, but then a friend told me it was 60, I have no idea now:/

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So how much did you guys pay for the Forza 3 demo?

Oh wait it was free.

Get it? Prologue cost money (and yes, I know its different)

Zaptruder

Banned
So watching the Forza collision physics, I'm thinking... why are people so fussed over one teams implementation versus the other?

They're both very incomplete, and even though they're both moving in the right direction, they're no Burnout Paradise.

The irony is that Burnout Paradise doesn't do physics; it does canned animations. The crashes are precomputed, and the same damage played out if the damage input is similar enough. Yet it still has the best looking crashes around, because it gets 90% of what we expect from a crash (i.e. massive crushing, glass shattering, wheels tearing off, et al).

No matter how accurate the spinning and flipping of a chassis is, if those elements aren't there, it's all going to look very fake/incomplete to us.

So I dunno where the Forza guys get off stroking their cocks over this kinda issue like its a be all and end all.

My take: Good that they're pushing it in this direction... but they (both Turn10 and PD) need to sort out with the licensing guys how to get 'full blown'* damage in there... even if it means adding a mode with only some of the cars (i.e. with the manufacuters that allow full blown damage) available.

*apperance wise... the hardware probably isn't there to do everything these games do and compute accurate full blown physics based destruction.

Top Bottom