• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
SunhiLegend said:
How can you call it a sim if there are forced assists, why did Turn10 keep them in?

How can you call it a sim with 80% of the cars don't allow a cockpit view? Are you simulating riding on the bumper?

Shaneus

AgentChris said:
Every series that sell over 10 million gets the haters. Halo, GTA, COD, Pokemon and GT.
So do games that have been developed for 5+ years that don't live up to the hype. Duke Nukem Forever, GT5...

Gek54 said:
God I hope they fix it and the deadzone.

Its hard to believe that the GT series has has been on the ball with 900 degree force feedback support with linear unassisted steering since 2003 and the Forza series is still seemingly oblivious with their attempts at making a simulation experience.

After spending all my wheel time with the FM4 demo since it released, now jumping back into GT5, it really is night and day as far as wheel support goes. No horrible deadzone and no ridiculous steering aid just makes for a much more connected and immerse feeling when driving. A real driving enthusiast's game.

I played a shitload of GT5, Forza 3 and a couple hours of the demo on Forza 4, have a GT2 with CSP's and I have no idea what you're talking about. I never experienced a "horrible" deadzone or "ridiculous" steering aid because for the most part it won't really correct you if you aren't driving like a dipshit.

StudioTan said:
How can you call it a sim with 80% of the cars don't allow a cockpit view? Are you simulating riding on the bumper?

They'll all have cockpit view in 1 days.

flyinpiranha said:
I played a shitload of GT5, Forza 3 and a couple hours of the demo on Forza 4, have a GT2 with CSP's and I have no idea what you're talking about. I never experienced a "horrible" deadzone or "ridiculous" steering aid because for the most part it won't really correct you if you aren't driving like a dipshit.

Really now?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Metalmurphy said:

Yeah, I just read that:

1. Simplified interior view added to all standard cars.

Gran-Turismo-5-Spec-2-Update-Cockpit-View.jpg

They look great.

StudioTan

Metalmurphy said:
They serve their purpose as far as the "sim" aspect goes. Isn't that all you care?

By giving me a cardboard cutout of what the interior of the car should look like? Yes, it really makes me feel like I'm driving a real car. Plus, we all know the graphics in a driving sim don't matter, as long as they serve their purpose, right?

Actually, I have nothing against GT5, I just wanted to get in on the trolling :D

StudioTan said:
By giving me a cardboard cutout of what the interior of the car should look like? Yes, it really makes me feel like I'm driving a real car. Plus, we all know the graphics in a driving sim don't matter, as long as they serve their purpose, right?

Actually, I have nothing against GT5, I just wanted to get in on the trolling :D
Hey, hey, hey.

Only the elite PC gaming master race is allowed to use that excuse.

And you know what? rFactor doesn't look that bad!

Metalmurphy said:

Really now?

Yep. I still slid out like crazy and unless I got completely turned around never noticed it, this is in the Forza 4 demo, not Forza 3. Where did you notice it the most in the Forza 4 demo?

Yoritomo

iceatcs said:
Wow that's look so so fun. Time go back GT5 already.

Aye like I said, configure the tire slip ratio. No need to physical record

Unless you want actual accuracy. What do you propose they model it after?

flyinpiranha said:
Yep. I still slid out like crazy and unless I got completely turned around never noticed it, this is in the Forza 4 demo, not Forza 3. Where did you notice it the most in the Forza 4 demo?

I haven't played F4 with a wheel yet so I won't comment, but your post had Forza 3 in it as well, and I have played Forza 3 with a wheel, where " for the most part it won't really correct you if you aren't driving like a dipshit." seems like a comment and idiot would make.

Polyphony

AgentChris said:
The only reason people like to troll Froza is because of that bald guy with the beard.

I believe this is the reason as well. The things Dan said at E3 09 riled up some of the Gran Turismo fans. I believe it was probably a marketing move to gather attention for Forza 3.

GT and Forza aren't even direct competitors. The sale of one does not necessarily translate into the loss of sale of the other. The only thing they might be fighting for is the pride of being crowned the best console racing sim of the generation. Then again, if someone doesn't own both consoles, they should be happy with the choice they made as both franchises are excellent in their own regards.

Metalmurphy said:
I haven't played F4 with a wheel yet so I won't comment, but your post had Forza 3 in it as well, and I have played Forza 3 with a wheel, where " for the most part it won't really correct you if you aren't driving like a dipshit." seems like a comment and idiot would make.

Nope, was talking about Forza 4 because only "and idiot" wouldn't know it was in Forza 3 and the "shitload" was speaking in reference to him playing a lot of both, as have I.

How did you play Forza 3 with a wheel and not Forza 4? Is this one of those "at a friends house" things?

Dommel

statham said:
would like to see the best of 5, 2 forza, 2 GT5 and a single NFS or like game metal vs jube or something.

sigh.PNG

Ever heard of editing your posts instead of just creating new ones because you click on all the related GT5 glitch videos on youtube every 2 minutes?

Shaneus

You could also try and post a clip of how long it takes to navigate the menus to start a race, but I think there's a 15 minute limit on Youtube videos.

I'm very curious to see what will happen to GT5 in terms of Spec II and DLC. I think GT5 is the more complete game out of the two. I think the graphics are better and Forza is much less of a simulation title. The gameplay is very arcade like in Forza, in my opinion.

Jburton

Banned
ThisWreckage said:
I'm very curious to see what will happen to GT5 in terms of Spec II and DLC. I think GT5 is the more complete game out of the two. I think the graphics are better and Forza is much less of a simulation title. The gameplay is very arcade like in Forza, in my opinion.

Careful now, you could end up under an avalanche of youtube links.

Izayoi

Banned
The offscreen/replay carnival of stupid continues even now, I see.

Why no direct-feed actual gameplay shots? How about some that are actually at the same point in the track, and not compressed to hell?

This whole thread really seems completely pointless to me.

Shaneus

Mush said:
Ice cold.
:D

Remains to be seen what it's like with FM4 though. The demo was fine and T10 seem to be pretty clued up re: menus, so hopefully it's not an issue.

PD will (I hope) fix it in the upcoming patch. While they're at it, if they can't work around the rolling "used car" storefront, implement a shortcut that advances the in-game time by a day.

pmj

ThisWreckage said:
All right, so if Forza 3 (and even 4?) is "very" arcade, how would you describe NFS or Burnout? Extremely arcade times a billion?

I get the desire for better simulation, I really do, but if a tad worse simulation is a deal breaker, I have to wonder why you would play GT when there is iRacing.

shinnn

pmj said:
All right, so if Forza 3 (and even 4?) is "very" arcade, how would you describe NFS or Burnout? Extremely arcade times a billion?

I get the desire for better simulation, I really do, but if a tad worse simulation is a deal breaker, I have to wonder why you would play GT when there is iRacing.
"more difficult = more sim"

shame PD did the same mistake =\

Iknos

eek5 said:
The purpose of this thread is to keep the completely pointless bullshit out of the main threads.

interesing that the thread is mostly about graphics...it could be that GT fanboys realize that Forza is much better in most other areas.

And then you have Forza fans making fun of the jagged smoke effects at least we aren't seeing tiny little puffs shooting out the back of a car...

Hey guys when I was talking about cockpits I was talking about when you play the games. Not about posting tiny little gifs on the internet.

Though I suppose most of you enjoy your chosen game by viewing tiny little gifs rather than playing it.

JWong

Banned
Shaneus said:
:D

Remains to be seen what it's like with FM4 though. The demo was fine and T10 seem to be pretty clued up re: menus, so hopefully it's not an issue.

PD will (I hope) fix it in the upcoming patch. While they're at it, if they can't work around the rolling "used car" storefront, implement a shortcut that advances the in-game time by a day.
Wait, so Forza 3 took a long time to get in a race?

Xanadu

Banned
pmj said:

iracing is expensive, but theres no denying its the best out there

Gek54

flyinpiranha said:

In the FM4 demo you can pretty much shake the wheel side to side an inch or so and the car doesnt budge, if you had that much steering slop in a real car it would be in the shop.

Arklite

Iknos said:
interesing that the thread is mostly about graphics...it could be that GT fanboys realize that Forza is much better in most other areas.
Mostly because this forum is a visual place and pics make an easy and quick comparison, and neither game is deficient in game modes to complain about, and the driving model isn't something that can be easily expressed in order to form a convincing argument for either game. Also, both sides keep bringing up the graphics of GT, from the rain effects to the shadows, to the standard cars. It's actually the best ammo for critics and fans.

Izayoi

Banned
Gek54 said:
In the FM4 demo you can pretty much shake the wheel side to side an inch or so and the car doesnt budge, if you had that much steering slop in a real car it would be in the shop.
There's no way. That has to be an issue with your setup/assists.

Gek54

Izayoi said:
There's no way. That has to be an issue with your setup/assists.

Fanatec PWTS lastest firmware, no slop in any other game other than FM3 and FM4. Nothing wrong with my setup.

FM3 had the same problem.

Top Bottom