• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Snubbers said:
Source ? There are so many video's they do, I remember one after the GT5 review, where the subject of FM3/GT5 physics come up, and admit both games have issues but seem to be sat on the fence (Might have been an FM4 preview), but if there is something more critical of FM3, I'd love to see it.

And I do prefer the FM4 preview, you can tell they want to give the physics more of a go (hopefully patched for 900 degree wheels) before committing, defintely no hype going on there..

I'm at work (and will be for the next 7 and a half hours) but I'll try to find the video.

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeqqYxCCj_o#t=27m7s
TL:DW: FM3 was scored higher than it should have been. It's not a sim, and then they go ahead and say GT5 isn't a sim in the PC sense either. Idk if they really felt that way or if it was just damage control to get the fanboys off of them (they had a problem with that earlier). I'm going to request they do a "past present future" episode for GT5 after the DLC comes out and they get to test out Spec II.

tusken77

SunhiLegend said:
ibf5M6JVXI5f8t.gif

ibc9rCthIwn9bt.gif

This is driving bliss. Driving a car around the Nurburgring as the sun sets. Amazing Visuals, amazing physics and an amazing track.

Absolutely. Taking your favourite car out in the evening round the Nurburgring, the sun slowly setting, driving into the darkness of the night while listening to The Lisbon Maru by Fuck Buttons from GT5's soundtrack. Exhilarating, beautiful, special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLL7SXbF3kA

Radec

SunhiLegend said:
ibf5M6JVXI5f8t.gif

ibc9rCthIwn9bt.gif

This is driving bliss. Driving a car around the Nurburgring as the sun sets. Amazing Visuals, amazing physics and an amazing track.

Yep.

But ofcourse some don't know that. Because they have no way of experiencing it.

:)

NinjaBoiX

Gran Turismo is the better simulation, but Forza is the better game. GT's physics and car models are ludicrous, but almost everything else feels half baked. Contrast to Forza's merely excellent car models and physics, but fully featured and properly laid out. I just find Forza more easy to get on with, GT is usually a nightmare.

GT is the most beautiful girl you've ever gone out with, who is an utter, high maintainance nightmare. "Is she worth the effort?"

Forza is the very attractive girl, who is actually pretty cool, and easy going. Sure, she might not be quiet as sexy as GT, but damn it if you don't have a lot more fun with her.

Yes, that anology is weak, but it's the best way I can put it across.

equap

Banned
SunhiLegend said:
ibf5M6JVXI5f8t.gif

ibc9rCthIwn9bt.gif

where do you go to configure the game to play like this?? i haven't been on gt5 in a while...

Gek54 said:
Here you go, video: Forza 4's deadzone steering slop in the Zonda.

Deadzone setting is zeroed out on my wheel.

That's crazy, I don't have that with mine but I'll do some testing and see if it actually is there and I just haven't noticed it. I never noticed it in Forza 3 and that's probably because of what the other poster posted. I'll take a look at 4.

pmj said:
Did you read my post on the deadzone issue? You may have deadzone at zero on your wheel, but Forza 3 has an advanced wheel settings menu where you can tweak in-game deadzones for both wheel and pedals. Turn them off and they should be completely off. I have a Fanatec wheel as well, and the tiniest nudge will translate into steering input in the game.

The deadzone in the Forza 4 demo is there for me as well. It's probably the default setting, a setting you can't change since there is no options menu in the demo. Someone who has the green disc should be able to clarify whether you can still change this in Forza 4, but it seems overwhelmingly likely to me that this is the case.

Crazy, I never noticed the deadzone in the Forza 4 demo.

I was completely wrong, sorry Gek!

Radec

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Gran Turismo is the better simulation, but Forza is the better game. GT's physics and car models are ludicrous, but almost everything else feels half baked. Contrast to Forza's merely excellent car models and physics, but fully featured and properly laid out. I just find Forza more easy to get on with, GT is usually a nightmare.

GT is the most beautiful girl you've ever gone out with, who is an utter, high maintainance nightmare. "Is she worth the effort?"

Forza is the very attractive girl, who is actually pretty cool, and easy going. Sure, she might not be quiet as sexy as GT, but damn it if you don't have a lot more fun with her.

Yes, that anology is weak, but it's the best way I can put it across.

I think it's the other way around.

GT5 ain't the perfect 10 girl. She ain't the most beautiful girl around. Not all guys wanted her. But if you truly likes her and get to know her better, you'll see that she don't need to be a 10 for you to fall in love. Because when you fall for it, she'll be better than the girl of your dreams.

Radec said:

GT5 ain't the perfect 10 girl. She ain't the most beautiful girl around. Not all guys wanted her. But if you truly likes her and get to know her better, you'll see that she don't need to be a 10 for you to fall in love. Because when you fall for it, she'll be better than the girl of your dreams.
So... are you saying GT5 will give me oral?

Angst

equap said:
where do you go to configure the game to play like this?? i haven't been on gt5 in a while...
Go to your lounge, pick Nordschleife Change Time & Weather. Set time at 5 PM for example and time acceleration to 3-4. Drive. If you want to take pics later on you need to start a race and then save it once your done. You don't need to finish the race, just quit and save the replay from race result.

Radec said:

The girl of my dreams is consistently awesome, just not part of the time =P

SmokyDave

Radec said:

And once you get her in the sack, she'll blow your fucking mind.

flyinpiranha said:
The girl of my dreams is consistently awesome, just not part of the time =P
Yeesh, good luck with that.

Ploid 3.0

Driver San Francisco has GT5 smoke effects (PC). No day night cycle though :(

Wish I could find a gif of GT5's dirt effect at night with the lights coloring the dust clouds. I always liked how that look.

a95fd03e08474f7b0d12601b7e79773c73d7258b.jpg

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I just downloaded the GTR Evo demo off of steam just to see how it felt, wow, playing that game with the assists turned off, it's like a different league compared to Forza & GT, it took me about 8 attempts to just to finish a lap without coming off the track, I guess it would be no fun having that kind of realism on a console game but that being said if you choose to turn the assists of it definitely should be harder than what it is now in Forza and GT, I'm starting to think that both games are to forgiving after playing GTR.

SmokyDave

lowrider007 said:
I just downloaded the GTR Evo demo off of steam just to see how it felt, wow, playing that game with the assists turned off, it's like a different league compared to Forza & GT, it took me about 8 attempts to just to finish a lap without coming off the track, I guess it would be no fun having that kind of realism on a console game but that being said if you choose to turn the assists of it definitely should be harder than what it is now.
GTR is still pretty 'friendly' as PC sims go!

GTR Evo & Race07 & All expansions (especially the Retro hillclimb) rock my socks. So cheap, so much fun.

And, yeah, console only players need a sim like this so they can see what they're missing*. There was a version of Race for the 360 (Race Pro) but I think it was toned down somewhat.

*That's not to say that these are necessarily better games. I can enjoy Forza kicked back with a pad in my hand as much as the next man. There's a time & a place for the more hardcore sims.

SmokyDave said:
GTR is still pretty 'friendly' as PC sims go!

GTR Evo & Race07 & All expansions (especially the Retro hillclimb) rock my socks. So cheap, so much fun.

And, yeah, console only players need a sim like this so they can see what they're missing*. There was a version of Race for the 360 (Race Pro) but I think it was toned down somewhat.

*That's not to say that these are necessarily better games. I can enjoy Forza kicked back with a pad in my hand as much as the next man. There's a time & a place for the more hardcore sims.
The FFB on GTR sucks =[.

Anyway.. best sim I've ever played was RBR... by far. Yes I've played iRacing, but the tracks and physics on RBR just blow my mind.

SmokyDave

phosphor112 said:
The FFB on GTR sucks =[.

Anyway.. best sim I've ever played was RBR... by far. Yes I've played iRacing, but the tracks and physics on RBR just blow my mind.
Agreed, RBR is awesome. I think RBR is just above my cut-off point, I like it but I really struggle to have fun. It really does need 100% concentration. Might peep the 2011 update and give it another spin.

All this sim talk is making me want to play Forza 4. On a pad. Seriously.

SmokyDave said:
Agreed, RBR is awesome. I think RBR is just above my cut-off point, I like it but I really struggle to have fun. It really does need 100% concentration. Might peep the 2011 update and give it another spin.

All this sim talk is making me want to play Forza 4. On a pad. Seriously.

When I first got RBR, I spent days, literally, perfecting the driving school courses... It was just so difficult to get the throttle perfect and kick your tail out just enough to get you to slide around the corner gracefully and not completely spit out and smash into a tree.

Apex

shinnn said:
Where's the comparison to real-life?
gtinfographic-tm2dic.jpg

http://n4g.com/news/654707/lazygamer-compares-lap-times-forza-3-vs-gt5-vs-real-life

FM2
fm2_dan2f3s.gif

FM3
T10 said:
In Forza 3, we refined a steering assist to the controller (and to a lesser extent for the wheel) that helped the player countersteer, drift and recover. It slightly modified the player’s steering angle input as well as the rate of steering wheel rotation based on the yaw of the car and the player’s recent inputs. I loved the system for drifting, as it made me feel like a driving god without actually sacrificing our physics accuracy. It made the game easier to drift and recover by just interpreting the player’s input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxjUH_WeRzA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhLBp9uXhQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkxSZoHbYY

FM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2N98Fx5Oec&t=20m27s

Angst

Apex said:
Another good comparison would be one lap at Nordschleife with the Nissan GT-R '07, stock tyres (?).

Real world record is 7:29. I think most people have managed to squeeze just below that - 7:27 or so in GT5, my personal record so far is 7:31. Record was made on a semi-wet track though - and no fear of dying... :p

Could someone test that in F4 (when you get the game)?

Angst said:
Another good comparison would be one lap at Nordschleife with the Nissan GT-R '07, stock tyres (?).

Real world record is 7:29. I think most people have managed to squeeze just below that - 7:27 or so in GT5, my personal record so far is 7:31. Record was made on a semi-wet track though - and no fear of dying... :p

Could someone test that in F4 (when you get the game)?

You don't have to worry about dying in a GTR, that car drives itself.

KKRT00

CadetMahoney said:
"Tearing, sub 60 fps gameplay, and last gen models for most of the cars in the game". . . can the same be said of FM3?

Both games have been compared to already on all levels i'm sure. The highs in GT5 are high but the lows are low, this is inconsistent. So you have to reach an overall judgement and the games are fairly compared if you ask me. This leaves us with FM3 being better reviewed than GT5 and FM4 looking even better.
"Sub 60fps", its near 60, so 55+ most of the time and 50+ 99% of the time, except the cases when You have rain particles or 10+ premium cars in a corner [and even in this situation framerate really rarely goes below 48].
Tearing isnt that bad in 720p, it was worse in Prologue, but i'm not that sensitive to tearing so its not a problem for me, so i cant judge it.
Last gen models - yep, except that most of them [like 90%] looks great and from a gameplay distance they look better than cars ingame in Forza 3. I'm not trolling, I've played both games and GT shaders do the magic.
Shadows are bad in both games, just in Forza not all geometry cast shadows, that's why its not that noticeable, most shadows in Forza are also baked, not dynamic.
Particles almost dont exist in Forza, if You compare them to GT, they also dont interact with lights and wind.
You also dont have dynamic lights in Forza.
Forza dont have anisotropic filtering and has lower quality multisampling antialiasing.
I can agree that GT has lows, but Forza have lows, just mostly they are reduces because they dont render smth or dont include smth and also Forza has 'lower highs' thats why inconsistency is that noticable.
And there are many things that GT do that affect framerate that Forza dont have.

Apex

lowrider007 said:
I just downloaded the GTR Evo demo off of steam just to see how it felt, wow, playing that game with the assists turned off, it's like a different league compared to Forza & GT, it took me about 8 attempts to just to finish a lap without coming off the track, I guess it would be no fun having that kind of realism on a console game but that being said if you choose to turn the assists of it definitely should be harder than what it is now in Forza and GT, I'm starting to think that both games are to forgiving after playing GTR.
Try changing the default Racing tyres for Sport soft or medium, the grip is too much with the default tyres. Also don't forget to disable completely the ABS and change the brake bias to something realistic like 4:1., the ABS in GT5 works like a second stability control.

Please ignore the avatar.

We're there any updates to GT5 that improved the Screen Tearing and Frame Drops, since release? If not, any info whether Spec 2 will include any work on these two issues?

Thanks.

Izayoi

Banned
SunhiLegend said:
http://i.minus.com/ibf5M6JVXI5f8t.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibc9rCthIwn9bt.gif[IMG]

This is driving bliss. Driving a car around the Nurburgring as the sun sets. Amazing Visuals, amazing physics and an amazing track.[/QUOTE]
Driving bliss is a replay video?

How does that work?

Apex

KKRT00 said:
Last gen models - yep, except that most of them [like 90%] looks great and from a gameplay distance they look better than cars ingame in Forza 3. I'm not trolling, I've played both games and GT shaders do the magic.
I agree, the cpu cars in Forza lacks shelf shadows and real time reflections. They look very weird in some places.

All GT5 cpu cars have full effects, even standards. All that plus a better screen resolution make them very good looking in race.

I like the look of Forza 4 , I like the framerate and the fact there's no tearing.
But what I don't understand...why do the cars have no windshield?

I know there are no weather effects in Forza, so a windshield probably isn't needed :D, but a windshield would be nice though. It looks kinda weird without.

Niks said:
Now we know why most tracks in FM4 are wider than what they are in real life. It is to "heighten the drama". Definitive indeed.
Is that a direct quote? That's pathetic if so. Indianapolis Motor Speedway in FM4 is so freaking wide.. it ruins the whole thing. Just even a 2 wide restart on the Indy 500 this year resulted in several wrecks.. but FM4 you have these guys going 4 wide and shit.. it's stupid. I've grown up around the Speedway... I was raised here, and seeing that just pisses me off.

offshore

KKRT00 said:
"Sub 60fps", its near 60, so 55+ most of the time and 50+ 99% of the time, except the cases when You have rain particles or 10+ premium cars in a corner [and even in this situation framerate really rarely goes below 48].
The frame rate performance of GT5 is pretty terrible considering it's from a developer that has always banged on about how important 60fps is.

Kaz Yamauchi said:
Sixty frames per second is something we're really wanting to stick to, because otherwise, we can't call it a game -- or at least I wouldn't call it a video game.
But I think 60fps is very important, so we're working towards perfecting that. There might be times when you have a certain combination of conditions that come together - especially with the weather effects - [when] the game might briefly drop from 60fps, and for that I beg your forgiveness!
"If you're going from a standing start at No.16 and all 15 cars in front of you are kicking up water, there might not be 60fps at that moment."
"Briefly drop" is one of the biggest understatements of this generation: the game is rarely 60fps. You don't even need 15 other cars on track for performance to drop. One car is enough to cause tearing/drops.

In fact, Kaz talked so frequently about the importance of 60fps and how the game only "briefly" drops from 60fps, that I often wonder whether the wrong disc has been pressed given the terrible frame rate performance. Because I'm certainly not playing the same game he's describing.

lol at comparing real laptimes vs video game times. This is when you weed out the people who are living room racers vs those with actual HP driving experience.

-MikePriester- said:
Please ignore the avatar.

We're there any updates to GT5 that improved the Screen Tearing and Frame Drops, since release? If not, any info whether Spec 2 will include any work on these two issues?

Thanks.
I accidently deleted the game data and played a few races with 1.00. It's really bad compared to fully patched version. FPS is much better with patches.

phosphor112 said:
>2011
>Calling people beta.
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

>2011
>Using 4chan memes outside of 4chan
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110830035551/khfc/images/2/25/Costanza.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xVu8D.gif

shinnn

Lagspike_exe said:
I accidently deleted the game data and played a few races with 1.00. It's really bad compared to fully patched version. FPS is much better with patches.
Thanks, comparing it to when it first released then (when I had the game) Ill pick this up again then, hopefully it is better.

Also, does playing in 720p rather than 1080p help the screentear or framedrops at all?

Deadbeat

Banned
Is there any graphical comparisons between GT5 and F4 like there were with GT5 and F3? I remember there being videos with framerate comparisons and the like for tracks and vehicles that are the same in both games.

-MikePriester- said:
Thanks, comparing it to when it first released then (when I had the game) Ill pick this up again then, hopefully it is better.

Also, does playing in 720p rather than 1080p help the screentear or framedrops at all?
When DF tested the game (I can't remember whether it was v1.00 v1.01), 720p was a little better. I don't know if they did any optimizations, I don't have a Full HD display.

paskowitz

Apex said:

This is my single biggest problem with Forza. I know its physics engine is very realistic, but it does not produce a realistic result. GT5's physics maybe based on totally ass backwards logic/maths, but at the end of the day, it feels real. Sure it rears its head when you ram into another car or get air, but to me that is better than the alternative.

Lagspike_exe said:
When DF tested the game (I can't remember whether it was v1.00 v1.01), 720p was a little better. I don't know if they did any optimizations, I don't have a Full HD display.

Nice one. Thought as much after an earlier comment by someone here. Thanks again.

KKRT00

offshore said:
In fact, Kaz talked so frequently about the importance of 60fps and how the game only "briefly" drops from 60fps, that I often wonder whether the wrong disc has been pressed given the terrible frame rate performance. Because I'm certainly not playing the same game he's describing.
You know that every FPS analysis on DF article was from the most stressful situations, not typical ones? And do You really feel difference between 50 and 60 fps?
Because i dont and i'm really sensitive to framerate and input lag, i literally cant play Castlevania:LoS because of fps.
Look at this. Except first few corners where You see almost every car, You have basically constant 60fps gameplay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWKytOKt-so

Top Bottom