• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Shaneus

FStop7 said:
If anyone thinks you're going to get anything more than a degree of familiarity with the racing lines around a given track (assuming that the track is modeled correctly in the game) in either GT4 or Forza then you should come do a track day and I promise you will leave laughing your head off at A) how much fun it is and B) how mistaken you were.
God damn I wish I was in that position to:
a) Go to a track day
b) Have the balls to go through with it.
Dibbz said:
Is it my fault the guys bashing GT are not educated enough on cars to even come up with decent arguments? From the graphics are bad to F40's are not grippy to saying GT5 does not drive like real cars all the whilst GT has it's own program with Nissan to bring people that play GT to real motorsports.
I bet the first thing all the GT Academy guys say is "I can't believe how smooth this all looks!".

JWong

Banned
FStop7 said:
If anyone thinks you're going to get anything more than a degree of familiarity with the racing lines around a given track (assuming that the track is modeled correctly in the game) in either GT4 or Forza then you should come do a track day and I promise you will leave laughing your head off at A) how much fun it is and B) how mistaken you were.
Well of course we can't overcome the fear.

Who was the racer who had Gran Turismo set up in his plane? Said he used it on travels to familiarize himself with the track he was going to race on?

statham

Dibbz said:
They are. They do this every year now.

shinnn what the matter can't handle that the F40 can actually lose grip? Have no response to it? MY GOD HOW IS THE F40 LOSING GRIP, IN FORZA IT IS SO GRIPPY. Nothing you say has any credibility what so ever now.
did you see the cool videos I posted of GT5 a few pages back?

*sorry guys for all that too. b

Dibbz

shinnn said:
Who said that F40 can't lose grip? I said the lack of grip is exaggerated in GT5. And the F40 has a lot of grip for such a powerfull car.

lol keep back tracking

Take the F40 as a example. I never drive one, but it is known as a awesome car to drive, powerfull but awesome handling. A lot of grip.

shinnn said:
edit: I didn't even mentioned Forza lol. And yes, you can lose grip in the FM3 F40 lol.
You fucking quoted a comparison between Forza and GT5 that showed Forza had an exaggerated amount of grip.

watership

Dibbz said:
Is it my fault the guys bashing GT are not educated enough on cars to even come up with decent arguments? From the graphics are bad to F40's are not grippy to saying GT5 does not drive like real cars all the whilst GT has it's own program with Nissan to bring people that play GT to real motorsports.

Lets just chill out a bit. These are all opinions not expert evaluations and track day experience isn't necessary to say your mind in this thread. Any attack on Gran Turismo is not a personal attack upon you.

And what's a REAL car? Come on.

paskowitz

LamerDeluxe said:
WLMQI.jpg

ClMSX.jpg

Oh Youtube, you so random. (can't be arsed to get my headphones).

I'll just leave this here...

s3_1.jpg

statham

Dibbs GT6. review 6.8, dibbs, Jumps off bridge, lands on solidsnake, somehow survives to mention f40 and losing grip......

Izayoi

Banned
Dibbz said:
Do you work for Polyphony? Why are you taking this all so personally? It's just a game, bro. Chill out.

shinnn

Dibbz said:
lol keep back tracking

You fucking quoted a comparison between Forza and GT5 that showed Forza had an exaggerated amount of grip.
I was talking about the REAL F40 in that quote. lol

Also I was talking about how the car handles in GT5, and the guy come up with LAP TIMES. Nobody was talking about Forza having much grip. Are you mad?

FStop7

Banned
Shaneus said:
God damn I wish I was in that position to:
a) Go to a track day
b) Have the balls to go through with it.

http://www.driverskillsaustralia.com/Track-Days-No-Limit-Days.html If you have a car in good working order then do eet! Doesn't have to be fast or sporty or fancy. Any car that runs well will do.

I have no experience with driving events in Australia, but in the USA they're very organized and safe events. Novice drivers often have their own run groups, are not allowed to pass, and must have an instructor ride with them. This is pretty much the norm in Europe, too. So I would imagine Australia would also be like this. From what I've seen track days are way more popular for motorcycles than cars in Australia, but there are still car oriented events.

statham

Izayoi said:
Do you work for Polyphony? Why are you taking this all so personally? It's just a game, bro. Chill out.
for gibbs this is life, justice and the pursuit of happiness of GT5 fans until forza came in to step on them, now hes homeless, crying about nissan and the dreaded f40

Shaneus

FStop7 said:
http://www.driverskillsaustralia.com/Track-Days-No-Limit-Days.html If you have a car in good working order then do eet! Doesn't have to be fast or sporty or fancy. Any car that runs well will do.

I have no experience with driving events in Australia, but in the USA they're very organized and safe events. Novice drivers often have their own run groups, are not allowed to pass, and must have an instructor ride with them. This is pretty much the norm in Europe, too. So I would imagine Australia would also be like this. From what I've seen track days are way more popular for motorcycles than cars in Australia, but there are still car oriented events.
Will have to look at later (blocked at work). I have a few friends that have decent cars, I'm not using anything with decent performance in the slightest (98 2nd gen stock Liberty/Legacy ) but I'm sure I can borrow one of theirs... even if they do the driving! Thanks for the tips, though. Perhaps I could be one of the first to come up through FM Academy.

Hahaha! I stopped reading this earlier today and in that time I see a complete and utter meltdown by some guy named Dibbz.

Awesome, it took a few more pages but this thread delivered.

I thought this was the "fun" thread!

Shaneus said:
Can I ask what Dibbz did to get banned?

mods are obviously Forza fanboys.

Xanadu

Banned
shinnn said:
You don't need to push hard the F40 to lose control in GT5, easily. That's the point. The same happens for various others cars. Tell me about the lotus elise challenge. lol
do you play with a gamepad? GT5 is horrible without a wheel IMO, i can keep control of the f40 but it is a challenge, as it should be.. the f40 is a beast. and i hope the f40 is a beast in forza 4 unlike 3

statham said:
for gibbs this is life, justice and the pursuit of happiness of GT5 fans until forza came in to step on them, now hes homeless, crying about nissan and the dreaded f40
I still can't believe there are still holding the fort for GT5 still. Clasping at straws now.

Shaneus

I just wasn't sure if it was something specific or just his general tone. Cheers guys.

So, how about that Gran Forzasportismo game? Looking pretty good, I reckon!

statham

CadetMahoney said:
I still can't believe there are still holding the fort for GT5 still. Clasping at straws now.
nows not the time. were pouring one out for dibbs. bones,thugs ,harmony for you dibbs, rip bro.

Xanadu said:
do you play with a gamepad? GT5 is horrible without a wheel IMO, i can keep control of the f40 but it is a challenge, as it should be.. the f40 is a beast. and i hope the f40 is a beast in forza 4 unlike 3
I wouldn't say horrible, but I definitely can't play it without a wheel anymore. I tried it today, because I was to lazy to set up the wheel. Did the X2010 seasonal for the easy 5M credits and did a test drive with a Challenger R/T and it somehow worked, but it wasn't enjoyable. The only time I'll use a pad for GT5 again, is to play B-Spec.

smarkel

As a gt fan all my life and also a forza fanboy I'm thankful that both games exists cause forza 4 wouldn't look so amazing and we wouldn't be getting spec 2 tomorrow without each games competition with each other. See Madden for example

rvy

Banned
Xanadu said:
That's kinda like saying that fighters without a stick are horrible. Wheels are way too expensive. Like fighting sticks.

alba

Little is the new Big
rvy said:
That's kinda like saying that fighters without a stick are horrible. Wheels are way too expensive. Like fighting sticks.

And like fighting games, racing games are that much more enjoyable with a wheel.

Iknos

Arklite said:
Mostly because this forum is a visual place and pics make an easy and quick comparison, and neither game is deficient in game modes to complain about,

Well most will agree that GT5 was a pretty poor game with great experiences sprinkled throughout. In my eyes the great epxeriences made me forget about the shortcomings but I can completely understand if it didn't for other people.

Maybe I chose the wrong word with "graphics" I really meant "photomode".

In game while I think Forza looks cartoony it is much more consistent and much more stable. This is unanimous opinion among those who have no vested interest in either game.

SmokyDave said:
And once you get her in the sack, she'll blow your fucking mind.

With an epileptic seizure and stutterring "give it to-t-toto-to-to me bab-ab-ab-a-bab-byyy"

Niks said:
Now we know why most tracks in FM4 are wider than what they are in real life. It is to "heighten the drama". Definitive indeed.

Isn't he talking about the colors on the tracks?

Also which tracks in FM4 are wider? We know Suzuka is off on its elevations but maybe you were thinking Nurburgring from FM2 which was too wide and fixed in FM3 and re-used in FM4. I did a comparison between GT5s ring and Forza's ring and measured using cars at some points and they looked very comparable. What Forza did right was the steepness of some curbs and the curbs aren't as jagged in GT5. The corners were more round.

I'm all for criticization but it has to be factual. Same with that whole "heighten the drama" thing it had to do with colors and its from the Forza 2 LE booklet.

I'm glad that the GT defenders here are the minority. Spec II is an answer to the complaints of real GT fans...not those who just want to see a console war between MS and Sony.

There are major physics flaws in GT5 that they have addressed and will address in Spec II.

Same thing applies to Forza 4...the suspension modeling is many times better and the sim steering before it breaks feels very good. The FFB is much improved.

Yes there is still a deadzone in FM4 demo on sim steering settings. It is not a complete deadzone where nothing reacts it is more like a dulling of inputs.

Try moving your wheel 45 degrees to the right to 45 degrees to the left in cockpit view. The driver hand animations are exact and 1:1. But the telemetry shows that there is a slight slowdown as you go over center. The end result is a "mushy" effect as you go over center. If T10 decides to eliminate the telemetry which I can imagine happening any day now because it proves what we all feel with the wheel this is something you can still feel when driving.

Speaking of telemetry its another one of those things that Forza does better than GT.

Rather than trying to defend GT from the criticization you guys should say "yes that is bad let's hope they fix it" and move on instead of pretending its not an issue.

Polyphony

Most GT fans more than acknowledge the shortcomings of the game, they are the first and harshest critics. That being said, they don't get detracted by the futile details in the same way that it fuels these fanboy wars.

Yeah some of the alpha to coverage effects in GT5 are low quality (pixelated edges caused by smoke when car is in front of smoke), but you only see it <5% of the time while playing the game. Mind you, there are no pixelated edges when the smoke is behind a car ie. when you're actually racing properly and somebody smokes their tires in front of you. Then again, I only play in bumper cam, and I understand the complaints for those who race primarily in cockpit view. So do I want this minor annoyance to be fixed in the future? Absolutely. Is it game breaking and makes the entire game ugly in comparison to everything else? No.

With all the mud-slinging going on, some people just feel the need to straighten the hard cold facts since others enjoy nitpicking and passing uninformed opinions of the game/driving experience as being factual. This goes for both sides.

Shaneus

Polyphony said:
Most GT fans more than acknowledge the shortcomings of the game, they are the first and harshest critics. That being said, they don't get detracted by the futile details in the same way that it fuels these fanboy wars.

Yeah some of the alpha to coverage effects in GT5 are low quality (pixelated edges caused by smoke when car is in front of smoke), but you only see it <5% of the time while playing the game. Mind you, there are no pixelated edges when the smoke is behind a car ie. when you're actually racing properly and somebody smokes their tires in front of you. Then again, I only play in bumper cam, and I understand the complaints for those who race primarily in cockpit view. So do I want this minor annoyance to be fixed? Of course. Is it game breaking and makes the entire game ugly in comparison to everything else? No.

With all the mud-slinging going on, some people just feel the need to straighten the hard cold facts since others enjoy nitpicking and passing uninformed opinions of the game/driving experience as being factual. This goes in both ways.
Like you have any other choice
lol.gif

(I know it was a serious post and you make some good points, but I couldn't resist. Sorry.)

And while there are some complaints with the alpha blending in the game, I think the main objections are to actual design choices and not hardware restrictions. Things like menu layout, load times, premium/standards etc. No, they don't impact on the actual driving experience, but they can be frustrating for people who like to play around in the game and spend more time than should be necessary doing anything other than driving.

Iknos

brotkasten said:
This comparison is over, guys.

GT5 got Spa as 4.99 DLC.

It's over.

I expect Spa to be FM4 DLC too. Dan has mentioned the track in interviews and didn't it win a T10 community poll on what track fans wanted to see in FM?

What really makes the comparison over in my eyes is if T10 doesn't fix their "simulation" steering to be 1:1.

That is really what it comes down to for me. I've been going back between FM3 and GT5 recently and there are so many things FM3 does more realistically that its funny how their assists ruin the whole thing ultimately.

Might be the same situation here.

Top Bottom