• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Slayer-33 said:
He's saying that a steady 60 FPS is important in a racing game, specially a sim type. You are trying to make the argument about something else.

Well ofcourse it is, 60fps is better then 50fps. That's simple math.

Doesn't mean that 55fps ruins the experience.

nib95

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
That wasn't the point of my post, read what I wrote.

No no I got that part. But initially the frame rate thing was brought up as a knock to GT5, but what I'm trying to say is that frame rate is essentially a non issue now. Would that extra 1-2fps to max the average be handy, sure, but it certainly doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things or in real world gameplay. Unless we're talking weather tracks.

With frame rate out the way, what are the other main points of comparison?

Driving physics
Handling realism
Overall Visuals
Lighting
Track accuracy
Vehicle accuracy
AI
UI
Features
Community options
Racing modes
etc etc

Being a Sim Racer though, I'd say the top priority were in the driving physics and/or handling. I mean, realism in that department for any Sim is of course the ultimate goal.

commedieu

Banned
Driving physics -GT5
Handling realism -GT5
Overall Visuals - GT5
Lighting - GT5
Track accuracy -GT5
Vehicle accuracy -GT5
AI - Tie
UI - Forza
Features - Forza
Community options - Forza
Racing modes - Forza

:)

Xanadu

Banned
commedieu said:
Driving physics -GT5
Handling realism -GT5
Overall Visuals - GT5
Lighting - GT5
Track accuracy -GT5
Vehicle accuracy -GT5
AI - Tie
UI - Forza
Features - Forza
Racing modes - Forza

AI tie? :eek:

Slayer-33 said:
He's saying that a steady 60 FPS is important in a racing game, specially a sim type. You are trying to make the argument about something else.

What exactly is being simulated in those occasionally dropped 4 fps? Serisouly, I am curious. What is being modeled that you are losing that is so obssesively critical. I want to know what your brain can detect at precicesly the moment these are being dropped that hinders the simulation aspect of the game. Not the visual distinction of the frame rate, but the actual game physics, track accuracy, model accuracy, lighting, FFB respone, your TV's pixel response, etc, what ever it is that is being marred by the loss of 4 60ths of a second.

You do realize you "lose" frames every time you blink.

Wazzim said:
No vsynced 60 fps was a mistake of PD, pouring everything in the game without thinking about the performance was foolish. I'm sure they have learned from GT5 and won't do such thing again for the future versions.

The big thing next gen is that they'll probably be working with a system that won't buckle when doing certain effects.

nib95

Banned
commedieu said:
Driving physics -GT5
Handling realism -GT5
Overall Visuals - GT5
Lighting - GT5
Track accuracy -GT5
Vehicle accuracy -GT5
AI - Tie
UI - Forza
Features - Forza
Racing modes - Forza

^Fair enough. I suppose I could agree with you on that. Though GT5 definitely takes the biscuit with AI now as well (ironic that the driving simulator now also becomes the racing simulator). But yea, UI, progression and community features is definitely where F4 excels. Oh and in sound effects too, though they are a little overcooked and exaggerated. I love the monetary deduction system in Forza for using assists, causing damage etc though. Little touches like this really add to the experience.

commedieu

Banned
Xanadu said:

I've never found A.I to be enjoyable in any console sim. So Tie, its the right and ONLY answer.

F4 is an amazing effort, compared to the laughable efforts of the previous titles. It would be a much better and focused game, if it actually knew what audience it was going for.

KKRT00

dark10x said:
It most certainly is not impossible. I can perceive these drops 100% of the time without error. I can immediately tell the difference between a framerate of 58 fps and 60 fps simply due to the way the monitor refreshes. 58 fps will not appear smooth in comparison and that's just the nature of display technology. The reason 30 and 60 are used as targets is simply that they line up perfectly with a 60 Hz refresh. Numbers between 30 and 60 do not and produce screen judder.

If you don't notice it, that's fine, but don't pretend that it isn't possible (it is). GT5 drops constantly while playing with all but the roof cam.
I'm pretty sure that experimentally i would prove that its more Your imagination that factual ability to differentiate 58 from 60, or even 50, to 60.

Seriously there are people that dont notice drops to 20 fps from 30, and thats 33% of frames, and You are telling me that You see 2 fps drops in 60hz game...

I can agree that when You really try to focus You could probably see the difference from 60 to 50, but not in gameplay, no way.

Truespeed

Gafapastismo said:
No horse in back grill?

Fix this shit PD.

The prancing horse badge doesn't seem to be consistent across various F40 images. I doubt the race spec ones had them. It's also missing from the F4 Fiero.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
nib95 said:
No no I got that part. But initially the frame rate thing was brought up as a knock to GT5, but what I'm trying to say is that frame rate is essentially a non issue now. Would that extra 1-2fps to max the average be handy, sure, but it certainly doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things or in real world gameplay. Unless we're talking weather tracks.

With frame rate out the way, what are the other main points of comparison?

Driving physics
Handling realism
Overall Visuals
Lighting
Track accuracy
Vehicle accuracy
AI
UI
Features
Community options
Racing modes
etc etc

Everything in this topic seems to boil down to GT 5 gif vs Forza gif, GT pic vs Forza pic, hand picked model of an inaccurate car to be showcased against accurate model of same car in GT 5.

So the FPS gets touched and suddenly people are dismissive? Are people making an AI argument in favor of GT's just because of one video in a corner with a car just sitting there? How about during racing? Has it been disproved at least via reviews that FM 4 isn't the more complete game and the game that comes on top across all categories overall so far? But since that's the case journalists are totally wrong now and reviews don't matter right?

Universal acclaim based on 62 Critics
Critic score distribution:

Positive: 62 out of 62
Mixed: 0 out of 62
Negative: 0

Totally undeserving of FM 4? It's totally a fabrication to think that FM 4 did achieve anything against GT 5 right? Because judging from this topic GTDF would lead you to otherwise. -corrected*

All I know is that I'm having the most fun I have ever had with a console racing sim with FM 4. I do play with assists off. I haven't experienced the 900 deg wheel assists issue because I don't have one.

Xanadu

Banned
Truespeed said:
The prancing horse badge doesn't seem to be consistent across various F40 images. I doubt the race spec ones had them. It's also missing from the F4 Fiero.
pretty sure he was joking

Driving physics - GT5*
Handling realism - GT5 for wheel, tie for feel with controller
Overall Visuals - GT5
Lighting - GT5*
Track accuracy - GT5*
Vehicle accuracy - GT5*
Sound Accuracy - Forza*
AI - GT5 now, but not at launch
UI - Forza
Features - Forza*
Community options - Forza*
Racing modes - Forza*

*denotes a noteable margin over the competition

tusken77

commedieu said:
I've never found A.I to be enjoyable in any console sim. So Tie, its the right and ONLY answer.

F4 is an amazing effort, compared to the laughable efforts of the previous titles. It would be a much better and focused game, if it actually knew what audience it was going for.

Did you not see the laughable Forza 4 AI earlier?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdXriG8P31E

If this is an amazing effort and better than previous games then I can't imagine how bad they must've been.

Truespeed said:

It was a joke but thanks, i didn't know it

tusken77 said:

If this is an amazing effort and better than previous games then I can't imagine how bad they must've been.

I remember that IA in Forza 3 is much better

nib95

Banned
Pretty sure the AI used to avoid you in earlier Forza's? Not to the intelligence shown in the GT5 example above, but still better than what's shown in F4. So no idea what happened there. Somewhere T10 messed up with AI programming.

But about features, on second thoughts I'm not sure which game takes it. F4 has more content, upgrade options, livery editor etc, but GT5 has weather, night racing, F1, Nascar, Go-karting, Rally, Snow etc, which certainly add diversity and imo fall under features. So I guess it's a toss up. Maybe even going to the latter, since they're more driving orientated.

Truespeed

Do we know what level the AI in GT5 was set to? It would be interesting to see how the various levels of AI react in such a situation.

commedieu

Banned
Slayer-33 said:

Gifs are honestly more factual than any subjective review could ever be. We are arguing facts, and you want to bring up opinions of a reviewer.

All of GT5's reviews slammed it for taking so long. Try and lie to me and pretend its not true, it was also slammed for its standard cars. Again, go ahead and lie to me and pretend its not true. It was still claimed to be a better simulation than F3. Again...see above. And scored low due to those factors.

You will always respond to unrealistic car models, tracks, permanent steering assists, sad optimization to try to keep a solid fps, etc, with what IGN said. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold much weight, as this is what sim fans are looking for.

Forza is a great series, but when you get into its features, and sim vs sim. There is no contest between it and GT5 despite Turn10 trying so hard to associate itself with the franchise. No one has drank the kool-aid. Sim fans buy GT more than Forza because of this. No, its not Sales vs Sales, its sales of 1 specific niche genre, racing sims. That was targeted by Turn10 themselves as their direct competition.

No one denies Forza is good, but its clear as day that its shortcomings aren't factored in at review time, as GT5's were made the paramount issue.

Slayer-33 said:
Why do you need to pick it up "again"? What happened the first time? lol...

Too much stuff to play at the time and I have my phases were I play racing sims religiously and then lose interest. Spec 2.0 and especially Spa are a good reason to buy it again. Forza 4 will be bought when it's a bit cheaper.

Dibbz

gutterboy44 said:
Driving physics - GT5*
Handling realism - GT5 for wheel, tie for feel with controller
Overall Visuals - GT5
Lighting - GT5*
Track accuracy - GT5*
Vehicle accuracy - GT5*
Sound Accuracy - Forza*
AI - GT5 now, but not at launch
UI - Forza
Features - Forza*
Community options - Forza*
Racing modes - Forza*

*denotes a noteable margin over the competition
What does features even mean?

Also racing modes you give to Forza?

6221734518_9d9063dd41_z.jpg

Rally even in it's current form in GT is enough to push GT ahead of Forza's bowling and football mini games.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
schennmu said:
Too much stuff to play at the time and I have my phases were I play racing sims religiously and then lose interest. Spec 2.0 and especially Spa are a good reason to buy it again. Forza 4 will be bought when it's a bit cheaper.

Right now that's the case for me :|

commedieu said:
Gifs are honestly more factual than any subjective review could ever be. We are arguing facts, and you want to bring up opinions of a reviewer.

A good video displaying both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOsolsLzZeE

Both games come off as a slightly different take of the genre, I guess people will stick to their sides no matter what in here. Personally I'm a GT convert to the FM series myself and I'm not looking back unless something changes. I got bored of the GT franchise a long time ago unfortunately but I enjoyed it before Forza came.

KKRT00 said:
I'm pretty sure that experimentally i would prove that its more Your imagination that factual ability to differentiate 58 from 60, or even 50, to 60.

Seriously there are people that dont notice drops to 20 fps from 30, and thats 33% of frames, and You are telling me that You see 2 fps drops in 60hz game...

I can agree that when You really try to focus You could probably see the difference from 60 to 50, but not in gameplay, no way.
i'm not going to get into the debate here (was just skimming for comedy) since i don't own either game, but... no, you wouldn't prove experimentally that it's Dark's imagination.

i talk about 'people who can see' on neogaf pretty regularly, and by that i mean people that will notice the slightest performance drop, the smallest degree of tearing, etc.

Dark is one of those people. i keep track of them because those same issues bother me.

in the case of GT5, 59 fps is very apparent vs 60 because of tearing. anyone sensitive to inconsistant motion will notice even minor drops. doubt all you like, but some of us can't help but see it.

my mum can't tell the difference between store bought diet cola and Coca Cola. but so what. that doesn't mean i can't tell the difference between them (and between Mexican Coke and American Coke).

sometimes i wish i couldn't, and maybe we're a small minority, but draw up your tests and i'll put my money on the 10x. that guy can see.

Dibbz said:
What does features even mean?

Also racing modes you give to Forza?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6040/6221734518_9d9063dd41_z.jpg[img]

Rally even in it's current form in GT is enough to push GT ahead of Forza's bowling and football mini games.[/QUOTE]

GT5 has the potential for better racing modes, but they didn't deliver imo. The rally wasn't even touched, and the NASCAR was sad, be careful the heart is heavy :(

The main A-spec mode is stale and entirely too familiar to me at this point. I think it is a fair grade. I think GT5 lacks the most behind Forza 4 in sound and community features. The same way I think Forza 4 is still well behind GT5 in lighting, track accuracy and physics.

Edit: For the record, you drop 3-5 fps every time you blink.

shinnn

tusken77 said:

lol.. if you play like that, whats the point of AI. I can make a video of AI crashing in GT5 too.

Drive like a normal person than come back.. Oh. I think you never played Forza, right?

If you get any challenge with AI in GT, lol. It's not surprise that 99% of races are rolling start in the mid-grid (or even in last position) when the challenge is just to catch the AI, not surpass them.

First sound, now GT5 has better AI too. LOL @ this thread.

paskowitz

What I find funny is the AI in both games actually pretty atrocious. The PC sim mod community has been making their own AI since GTR2 (if not before). I don't say that from a glorious PC master race point of view, it is just that much better. I really do not understand why PD and T10 don't pick up some of these moders / mod groups.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
gutterboy44 said:
GT5 has the potential for better racing modes, but they didn't deliver imo. The rally wasn't even touched, and the NASCAR was sad, be careful the heart is heavy :(

The main A-spec mode is stale and entirely too familiar to me at this point. I think it is a fair grade. I think GT5 lacks the most behind Forza 4 in sound and community features. The same way I think Forza 4 is still well behind GT5 in lighting, track accuracy and physics.

Edit: For the record, you drop 3-5 fps every time you blink.

Wtf that's crazy lol

Our gpu is failing.

Imagine if our brain couldn't process all the info and our FPS dropped to 10 fps in highly pop areas, that would be crazy.

Dibbz

shinnn said:
lol.. if you play like that, whats the point of AI. I can make a video of AI crashing in GT5 too.

Drive like a normal person than come back.. Oh. I think you never played Forza, right?

If you get any challenge with AI in GT, lol. It's not surprise that 99% of races are rolling start in the mid-grid (or even in last position) when the challenge is just to catch the AI, not surpass them.

lol wondered when you were gonna post back in this thread. Go back to your super grippy F40 please.

gutterboy44 said:
According to some, it actually has everything to do with the simulation experience.
real race car drivers blink too. i'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this blinking nonsense.

everyone blinks. some of us are bothered by small frame drops and tearing too. that we blink doesn't mean that those things magically stop bothering us.

i wish i couldn't see framedrops like so many other people seem incapable of.

blinking and framedrops are not equivalent.

for the record, i haven't played either game, AND i'm not saying the additional stuff that GT5 does visually is outweighed by the smoother framerate of Forza 4 or vice versa. i'm here just responding to the skepticism towards Dark10x's ability to perceive a difference between locked 60fps and 60fps with occasional minor drops.

Slayer-33 said:
[/B]

Wtf that's crazy lol

Our gpu is failing.

Imagine if our brain couldn't process all the info and our FPS dropped to 10 fps in highly pop areas, that would be crazy.

"When your eyes begin to blink, the closing phase can vary between 50 and 120 milliseconds. The opening stage of a blink is more varied and harder to gauge, but despite the variables, a blink's total duration stays under 750 milliseconds or three-quarters of a second"

Say ~550 milliseconds = 0.55 seconds
1 fps = .016 seconds

I obviously understand that you can see the tearing and sustained lower frame rate when it happens visually. My argument is that fps doesn't effect the actual simulation of the game. That you are some how losing lap time because of dropped fps or missing braking markers.

Edit: The same way your world doesn't come to a jittery halt because of the "smoothing" your brain does when you blink. This exact same thing happens when there is a slightly slower frame rate. You will notice you blink if you want to but if you ignore it you won't. Movies are at 24fps and we can predict the motion. A racing game doesn't loose its accuracy at the arbitrary number of 55fps. My argument isn't whether or not it bothers you, I don't give a toss, it is that it doesn't effect the racing simulation. Which some were arguing it does.

shinnn said:

LOL @ anyone who thinks GT5 AI is like that famous video done like 1 year ago, which is many.

And unless the career mode is any different from Quick Race then you don't get any challenge in Forza 4 either. And this is with me understeering all over the place and going off track alot due to no aids + controller.

I'm the first to admit that GT5s AI isn't very challenging mainly do to how slow they do most corners, but the AI in GT does alot of things other games don't. They avoid crashes VERY well, they do stuff like waiting for cars to pass before entering the road again if they go off, they overtake very well, etc.

gutterboy44 said:
"When your eyes begin to blink, the closing phase can vary between 50 and 120 milliseconds. The opening stage of a blink is more varied and harder to gauge, but despite the variables, a blink's total duration stays under 750 milliseconds or three-quarters of a second"

Say ~550 milliseconds = 0.55 seconds
1 fps = .016 seconds

I obviously understand that you can see the tearing and sustained lower frame rate when it happens visually. My argument is that fps doesn't effect the actual simulation of the game. That you are some how losing lap time because of dropped fps or missing breaking markers.
framedrops may not effect the simulation of the game, but they effect the responsiveness of your controls. not saying any of us would notice, but it is true.

Dibbz

Metalmurphy said:
LOL @ anyone who thinks GT5 AI is like that famous video done like 1 year ago, which is many.

And unless the career mode is any different from Quick Race then you don't get any challenge in Forza 4 either. And this is with me understeering all over the place and going off track alot due to no aids + controller.

I'm the first to admit that GT5s AI isn't very challenging mainly do to how slow they do most corners, but the AI in GT does alot of things other games don't. They avoid crashes VERY well, they do stuff like waiting for cars to pass before entering the road again if they go off, they overtake very well, etc.
This was me before spec 2.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nqqzdBDIWE

GT5's AI is very good but PD have limited it to stop it from being frustrating for many players. Thankfully PD have added the AI slider in the new update. I really need to test it out some more though.

Ty4on

Slayer-33 said:
[/B]

Wtf that's crazy lol

Our gpu is failing.

IIRC when it's dark the eye is slower. I think it's like 10 fps when it's at its worst.

The brain of course is really good at filling the blanks and the eye doesn't render frames, but motion is a lot blurrier when it's dark.

plagiarize said:
framedrops may not effect the simulation of the game, but they effect the responsiveness of your controls. not saying any of us would notice, but it is true.

Responsiveness of controls based on what? With no assists, with assits? With wired or wireless controller? Logitech wheel or Fanatec wheel? LCD TV or Plasma TV? Where is this lag manifesting? The USB polling rate is set independently of the frame rate.

Ah, it just occured to me that I can prove a concept of control response being independent of frame rate. I have a HDMI capture card on my PC and I will often play my PS3 in a window on my PC so I can multi task. I play FIFA 12 like this all the time. However, the PS3 controller is still a direct wireless link to the PS3. It could careless where that HDMI cable is going.

Since my PC is rendering the windowed display, it will occasionally lower the frame rate, independent of the game. The control response is not effected at all when the frame rate drops. So my eyes, as well as the game are seeing the lower FPS but the control is unaltered. And it effects the game play in no way shape or form.

This would only prove untrue in the case of GT5 if GT5 somehow lowered the refresh/polling rate of their controllers when the FPS dropped. I don't know for sure, but I doubt this is the case.

gutterboy44 said:
Responsiveness of controls based on what? With no assists, with assits? With wired or wireless controller? Logitech wheel or Fanatec wheel? LCD TV or Plasma TV? Where is this lag manifesting? The USB polling rate is set independently of the frame rate.
when you have frame drops, you're receiving visual information *later* (as each frame is taking longer to render) giving you less time to respond, no matter how often the controller is being polled. right? i'm not saying anyone would notice this, and maybe control lag is the wrong thing to call it... but Forza sure felt less responsive to me than Forza 2, and both apparently polled the controller at 60 hz.

also if you hit your breaks, it's going to take longer to display the frame that shows the cars break lights coming on.

again, i'm not suggesting you'll see any difference in performance or anything. just saying that framerate isn't irrelavent in terms of 'handling' from the controller/human side of things.

Lothars

plagiarize said:
I don't believe that at all and would like to see what proof you have on that claim?

tranciful

paskowitz said:
What I find funny is the AI in both games actually pretty atrocious. The PC sim mod community has been making their own AI since GTR2 (if not before). I don't say that from a glorious PC master race point of view, it is just that much better. I really do not understand why PD and T10 don't pick up some of these moders / mod groups.
AI can be expensive CPU-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if F4 actually does have worse AI than F3 -- not because they are incompetent, but because they are improving other areas to try and compete with what GT5 delivers.

plagiarize said:
when you have frame drops, you're receiving visual information *later* (as each frame is taking longer to render) giving you less time to respond, no matter how often the controller is being polled. right? i'm not saying anyone would notice this, and maybe control lag is the wrong thing to call it... but Forza sure felt less responsive to me than Forza 2, and both apparently polled the controller at 60 hz.

But I just thought we established that losing visual data alone, such as blinking or a 24fps movie is not an issue since the human eye and our brain always applies "smoothing" ? We can't have it both ways. Either the unbelievably minuscule amount of 4-10fps (less than a human blink) utterly breaks our perception of racing simulations, and therfore our very phyiscal reality or it pretty much is just a minor inconvenience and our brain handles that shit in stride. Why is it that the latter seems more probable?

commedieu said:
Driving physics -GT5
Handling realism -GT5
Overall Visuals - GT5
Lighting - GT5
Track accuracy -GT5
Vehicle accuracy -GT5
AI - Tie
UI - Forza
Features - Forza
Racing modes - Forza
My Take:

Driving physics - Split
Handling realism - Split
Overall Visuals - GT5 highs > Forza > GT5 lows
Audio - Forza
Framerate - Forza
Lighting - GT5
Track accuracy - GT5
Vehicle accuracy - GT5
AI - GT5 (I'd rather race robots than drunkards)
UI - Forza
Features - GT5 (Night/Weather/Rally/Snow/Course Creator, etc.)
Racing modes - Forza
Personalization - Forza
Top Gear integration - Forza
Career and Progression - Forza

ShapeGSX

gutterboy44 said:
This exact same thing happens when there is a slightly slower frame rate.

No, you are absolutely wrong here. When you blink, you don't see anything. It is black.

When the game drops a frame, you see a torn frame and the game stutters, there is no black frame.

You will notice you blink if you want to but if you ignore it you won't. Movies are at 24fps and we can predict the motion.

In movie theaters, they insert black frames at 48 or 72Hz in order to help your eyes interpret the motion correctly. (look it up) Without the black frames, the film would appear to blur, just as LCDs do.

On TVs such as most LCDs, the TV doesn't insert black frames, and you end up with motion blur. Some TVs actually DO insert black frames or strobe the backlight, and it helps your eyes to perceive motion without blur.

I'm not saying that this is at all what happens when you blink vs a frame drop and tear, but there is absolutely no denying that they are fundamentally different things. Black frames actually help your brain to interpret motion from what are essentially static images put on a screen one after another.

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:

What famous video? I'm talking about what I'm playing/played. GT AI did not give any challenge in my time with the career mode.

Every racing game does have AI that avoid crashes, do overtake, etc. It's the basic. lol. Maybe you should just pay attention to other games like you do with GT.

GT5 AI is the most sterile ever. They just act like robots.

Funny Story:

I went into Gamestop to buy Forza on Sunday and walked out with GT5 it was cheaper and spec 2.0 had just come out, It has weather and Rally and Nascar! I got home installed 2 hours of updates and started the career mode, purchased a cheap car and started a race. I finished the race took GT5 out of my PS3 and returned it for Forza 4.

GT5 looked like a reskinned PS2 game, obviously I didn't see the HIGH poly models.

I have been playing Forza for hours every night since then.

GT5 seems like it could be awesome but its just to much for me, Forza is a pick up and play kind of game.

edit: I am really not trying to choose sides, this is just my experience with the 2 games so far, I still want to get into GT5 sometime.

Top Bottom