• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

h3ro

Barso said:
To be honest I found GT5 rubbish.
So much missing and the only thing Kazunori is interested in is jetsetting around the world racing his own REAL cars and getting free trips at sony's expense.
Why do you think he rides the GT bandwagon for so long!
People are expecting GT5 to be leaps ahead of prologue but all I could see in prologue was slowdown,screen tear and an arsehole trying to be to ambitious with a console that he thought would be more powerful than what he got just like hideo kojima.

Well done. Textbook form.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
imtehman said:
nah just a single console owner who obviously has a preference toward the console he owns and its games :D
jett is a member of the superior pc master race

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
oh god, can't believe i'm gonna post on this shit.... i'll just say my thoughts.. I could give two shits about each.. I can't play a racing sim for more than five minutes without rather scratching my balls... I've had all the Forzas, and i have GT5P d/l on the absolute bottom of my DL list on the XMB. they all bore the hell out of me.

GT5 has the better car models. It just does... god,, there's no amount of spinning to negate it.
GT5 has better lighting and shadows (the whole reason it has more of a 'real life" aspect)
FM3 has better textures on the tracks and environment., and better physics/collision when i see the vids.

When i see these side by sides of the mountains, even though the forza track has more textures, the shadowing on each individual craggy part of GT5's mts give it a more realistic look, even if less dynamic in geometry.. It's more of a point light source, where FM3 is a box light source... and it just gives a better feel for realism.

Apparently shadows are HUGE in providing realism b/c i couldn't put my finger on it for the longest time, until i scrutinized it... When one little jutting on a little ridge in the Alps has a shadow on GT5, and a similar jutting in a different locale doesn't in Forza,,, it just looks a bit more arcadey in comparison...

I would take the realism effect over arcadey, jmo. I do like the feel of forza better, but, GT5P never felt finished either, so, i'll have to wait to call it..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Y2Kev said:
jett is a member of the superior pc master race
Aren't those supposed to be the ones who abscond console games completely, like isamu in crazy PC sim land with the $1000+ steering wheel? :lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
XiaNaphryz said:
Aren't those supposed to be the ones who abscond console games completely, like isamu in crazy PC sim land with the $1000+ steering wheel? :lol
He's a hybrid. ;P

Also, thanks for the direct screens G Rom! Amazing job.
It's pretty obvious which game looks better graphically as of right now (GT5). That said, I hope both games do really well (3 million+) and everyone enjoys both games.

Iknos

jett said:
You've been baiting me throughout this entire thread. I dare anyone to go ahead and try that, I hardly say anything about Microsoft or 360. Go ahead and do a search history.

Your constant reference to Forza in the GT thread made it a crappy thread to read.

I understand that you dislike Che and T10 and don't like the way they act or whatever. But you didn't have to crap up the GT thread with your opinions on them.

Che: read the Forza 3 demo thread for some realistic critiques actually grounded in reality.

DarkJC said:
As someone who has played the crap out of Prologue and who is unable to play the FM3 demo due to red rings, I'd appreciate this.

user_nat said:

akachan ningen said:
Do it anyway.

Sounds encouraging but...

permutated said:
The entire premise of this thread is to call trolls and fanboys out of the woodwork, kind of like a yearly bowel cleansing. They did it with GTA4, they'll do it with another game sometime soon. It's enjoyable, and to be honest if I really wanted to compare the games I'd play them both myself, not rely on screenshots and second hand opinions to convince me which one is better.

The thread could be about the differences between the colors of the 360 vs. PS3 controllers, wouldn't mean shit. The point remains the same! :lol

Reading the last few pages I'd say your spot on. Very few here would be interested in it and it wouldn't be worth the 2 hours I'd take making an in-depth comparison.

The biggest reason not to is that most sim fans here already own Prologue and have already played the FM3 demo if they have Live Gold. The differences are very apparent and so are the similarities.

All of my local GT LAN crew guys agree that the FM3 demo is excellent and we are all looking forward to the game. Not one of us dislikes it...that wasn't the case with FM2 and Prologue where there were some valid criticisms against the physics of both.

imtehman

Banned
Interfectum said:
The car in front is the lowest poly car I've ever seen in a next gen racer

Can anyone beat that?

3953595837_32ded35c86_o.png

I think so!

gran-turismo-5-prologue-20080314021640510.jpg

posting pics is fun

KHarvey16

Lion Heart said:
Direct captures vs IGN (lol) shots...someone is getting desperate.

The whole thread is full of that exact bullshit. I'd love it if everyone called it out when it happened but that's asking too much.

imtehman

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
The whole thread is full of that exact bullshit. I'd love it if everyone called it out when it happened but that's asking too much.

at least someone figured out what exactly i was doing

WinFonda

Clicking on this thread is like walking in on your mom and dad having sex.

In the sense that your immediate reaction is to quickly and discreetly GTFO before permanent emotional damage is done.

KHarvey16

He was making a point, fellas. For pages now we've seen horrendously bad FM3 shots from the demo being used by trolls to make some kind of point about the game. That GT5:p shot is exactly as relevant to the discussion as the terrible Ferrari shot from the FM3 demo.

Interfectum

KHarvey16 said:
He was making a point, fellas. For pages now we've seen horrendously bad FM3 shots from the demo being used by trolls to make some kind of point about the game. That GT5:p shot is exactly as relevant to the discussion as the terrible Ferrari shot from the FM3 demo.

Not really. The guy had to search "gran turismo is bad" in Google images to fish up one bad, blurry, washed out IGN screenshot. You could randomly click on a bunch of forza 3 screens and come up with a bad image.

KHarvey16

Interfectum said:
Not really. The guy had to search "gran turismo is bad" in Google images to fish up one bad, blurry, washed out IGN screenshot. You could randomly click on a bunch of forza 3 screens and come up with a bad image.

Right on cue. Here to play the pot or the kettle?

nib95

Banned
Lion Heart said:
Direct captures vs IGN (lol) shots...someone is getting desperate.

Lol, quite funny. He picked the blurriest shot of GT5P known to mankind, and a near uncompressed PNG capture of F3. One image is 180k in size, and the other is 1.2mb. Lol.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
WinFonda said:
Clicking on this thread is like walking in on your mom and dad having sex.

In the sense that your immediate reaction is to quickly and discreetly GTFO before permanent emotional damage is done.
I just wanted to say that every single time I see your goddamn avatar I feel like punching a gaffer in the face. I hate his guts! :lol

Also to the fool that said it's a troll thread. It is not a troll thread; it is the Official Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35, mothafucka.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Jett definitely has the Pole Position

User Name Posts
jett 74
Slayer-33 62
KHarvey16 61
theignoramus 48
Interfectum 41

WinFonda

Kaako said:
I just wanted to say that every single time I see your goddamn avatar I feel like punching a gaffer in the face. I hate his guts! :lol
Please don't harm Master East-West. He is a gentle man who knows only peace and serenity.

commedieu

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
They did a bunch...... As far as the trailer, I'm assuming you mean the community at play drifting thing, right? ... None of it was being hidden at all.
I'm not sure if you're kidding at this point. I'm really not. TURN10's own forum admins had to clear up the confusion behind the Creativity trailer. Everyone was asking if it was in game, and they were directed to the obviously in-game footage on the main page. The Forzathread on gaf was full of people going ga-ga over the photomode & offscreen nonsense up until only recently with the actual direct-feed reveal. Its like you're trying to pretend that A. No one thought the Creativty trailer was in game, B. No one believed the photomode to represent the game "Oh man look at that detail!". All games release direct screens of gameplay. Turn10 didn't for what are obvious reasons now. The game doesn't look anywhere near photomode/menu. People were often asking about the direct feed images/video. Why pretend this wasn't the case?

KHarvey16

commedieu said:
I'm not sure if you're kidding at this point. I'm really not. TURN10's own forum admins had to clear up the confusion behind the Creativity trailer. Everyone was asking if it was in game, and they were directed to the obviously in-game footage on the main page. The Forzathread on gaf was full of people going ga-ga over the photomode & offscreen nonsense up until only recently with the actual direct-feed reveal. Its like you're trying to pretend that A. No one thought the Creativty trailer was in game, B. No one believed the photomode to represent the game "Oh man look at that detail!". All games release direct screens of gameplay. Turn10 didn't for what are obvious reasons now. The game doesn't look anywhere near photomode/menu. People were often asking about the direct feed images/video. Why pretend this wasn't the case?

I don't browse those forums, but here it wasn't a question for more then a few hours. There wasn't any confusion. Blim here has been responsible for showing us a lot of off screen footage encoded at 60fps. Turn10 released some direct feed replay footage in their early trailers. We have a lot of examples of video taken while people played the demo on show floors.

If they were trying to hide anything they did a really bad job. A lot of people sat down to play this thing.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
WinFonda said:
Please don't harm Master East-West. He is a gentle man who knows only peace and serenity.
It's fucking driving me crazy. Just look at it! Hahaha blah blah blah...blah, blah blah blah. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.gif

EDIT: Holy fuuuuuck. I'm lip reading that mofo and I believe it says: "Hoo, Hey, Wanna bend over and have some fun?" Is that sob talking about fhuta? wtf?!

MightyHedgehog, haha yea that one is freaky as well.

I really hope the online gameplay is really solid in both these games. I know SP campaigns will be crazy long, so I'm hoping to jump online sooner than I usually do with new games in general.

nib95

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
Didn't know Forza was a Jagged mess, you know after me playing the demo and all.

Am I doing it right?

The image posted above of Forza 3 is a lossless PNG capture. So what you see is what you get. If there's jaggies in that screen, there's jaggies in the game. Which there are since it's 2xAA, not 4xAA or 16xTRSSAA etc.

Basically, if you aren't seeing jaggies on your screen, it's because your TV is masking them, or because you're too far from the screen to notice. Jaggies are minimal on my Pioneer Kuro, then again they are for for GT5P too. But in these instances, you've got to accept that not everyone's TV is going to mask the jaggies. Some will actually emphasise them.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
nib95 said:
The image posted above of Forza 3 is a lossless PNG capture. So what you see is what you get. If there's jaggies in that screen, there's jaggies in the game. Which there are since it's 2xAA, not 4xAA or 16xTRSSAA etc.

Basically, if you aren't seeing jaggies on your screen, it's because your TV is masking them, or because you're too far from the screen to notice. Jaggies are minimal on my Pioneer Kuro, then again they are for for GT5P too. But in these instances, you've got to accept that not everyone's TV is going to mask the jaggies. Some will actually emphasise them.

That was entirely my point, it's not even close to the exaggeration shown in that picture in game, the car ahead looking THAT jagged? C,mon it doesn't even look like that, that's all I'm saying. Screenshots not doing a game justice is a common thing.

So what's the problem with calling it out and saying that it doesn't look that bad in the game? That seems to be the main argument, how "horrible" or laughable Forza looks in gameplay screenshots to some of the people here that haven't even played the demo yet.

I play in a 19"WS lcd via VGA, as sharp as it gets yet no jaggies close to that amount?

on a side note how much AA is GT 5 supposed to have in replay mode? In game it's 4X right?

nib95 said:
Sorry to interrupt, but just because its a lossless PNG capture doesn't mean its a framebuffer dump. What you see is not what you get from the source - its what you get through the capture device which also has it's own settings for sharpness, color, contrast, etc. A very obvious example of this is in the Gamersyde captures compared to every other media outlet.

Who gives a crap? They're both great. GT5 probably has better grafix, while Forzas been pushing the envelope on features and forcing the GT devs to include stuff like damage. God, this is the most thinly veiled console war thread I've ever seen.

Top Bottom