• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
nib95 said:
Which brings me to my main criticism of the demo. I do also think they've made the game too accessible now. Not necessarily in comparison to GT5P, but also to F2 (which was infinitely less forgiving). You have to fight to try and get your car to spin out with all assists off in anything but the race car. No matter how hard you push it, it doesn't seem to want to give out. And that ain't right. With TCS off, these high performance cars should be hard to tame. Instead they Sunday drive. Somewhere along the line the physics balancing went a little wrong. Hopefully this is sorted in the final game.

Ummmm, that is interesting, I've always thought that Forza 2 was more accessible than that GT:p but your saying that Forza 3 is more accessible than Forza 2, I've read similar comments on my home forum, not alot but enough to make me think this could be a concern, I think Forza 2 was just about right when it came to the physics, where as I felt that GT:p penalized you a lot more for your mistakes, but is that because it is more realistic though ?, the problem I find when comparing which game has the most realistic physics is my enjoyment gets in the way of my objectivity, I find Forza easier and more fun to control so I say "it's got better physics", where in fact it could mean the opposite lol, it's very hard to gage, all I know is I love GT but I tend to have more fun driving in Forza.

When comparing tracks, why does nobody ever bring up London from Prologue? It's always the same rubbish Eiger track from the 2006 demo. If you're going to compare both games, compare them at their best.

jaypah

theignoramus said:
:lol
You're the goofball from the FM3 thread that argued that the slogan "The Real Driving Simulator"
was a genuine troll of the competition.

Pull off your mask already.

how many times are you going to read that wrong? my point was that excusing people for trolling the game Forza because of some "Definitive Racing Game" shit that Dan said is just as stupid as trolling GT because it claims to be "The Real Driving Simulator". in other words you'd be a jackass in either case. i understand that your love of GT won't let you see what i'm saying but then you'd have to blame yourself for that one. also, if you want to dig through my post history, be my guest, i've always given props to GT and the PD team and probably never did the same for Forza. but while you're there see if you can find how many times i had a good laugh at sensitive fanboys. i'll save you the trouble, it's a lot and with guys like you around i don't see my entertainment dropping off any time soon. enjoy.

*edit- rereading my post it was clear as hell what i was saying and i didn't shit on either game so maybe you're just slow. "Pull off your mask already". what is this, an episode of G.I. Joe? dude, you've got some issues.

skulpt

H_Prestige said:
When comparing tracks, why does nobody ever bring up London from Prologue? It's always the same rubbish Eiger track from the 2006 demo. If you're going to compare both games, compare them at their best.

Yup. I'm with you on that one. :)

lowrider007

H_Prestige said:

You can't just compare games at their 'best', GT and Forza aren't just one track, you have to compare them as a package, the highs and the lows, for me both have their good and bad points, but at the same time like the chap above (jaypah) sometimes one of those particular points is enough to sway you to prefer one other the other, that's where subjectivity comes into play, we all prefer different aspects of the game over the other.

ShapeGSX

lowrider007 said:
Ummmm, that is interesting, I've always thought that Forza 2 was more accessible than that GT:p but your saying that Forza 3 is more accessible than Forza 2, I've read similar comments on my home forum, not alot but enough to make me think this could be a concern, I think Forza 2 was just about right when it came to the physics, where as I felt that GT:p penalized you a lot more for your mistakes, but is that because it is more realistic though ?, the problem I find when comparing which game has the most realistic physics is my enjoyment gets in the way of my objectivity, I find Forza easier and more fun to control so I say "it's got better physics", where in fact it could mean the opposite lol, it's very hard to gage, I know is I love love GT but I tend to have more fun driving in Forza.

The fact is that most people wouldn't know what a car feels like at the limit to compare to a game, anyway. :) If you have never ended up doing a 180 or 360 because your car was at the absolute limit of adhesion in a corner, it is hard to compare your experience to that of a game in your living room. Hell, even when you HAVE done that, it is hard to compare.

So, like you said, most people just say that whichever one they prefer has the better physics model.

jaypah

lowrider007 said:
You can't just compare games at their 'best', GT and Forza aren't just one track, you have to compare them as a package, the highs and the lows, for me both have their good and bad points, but at the same time like the chap above (jaypah) sometimes one of those particular points is enough to sway you to prefer one other the other, that's where subjectivity comes into play, we all prefer different aspects of the game over the other.

exactly, because though i love the way GT is lit i still prefer the look of the track better in Forza. it's just that the lighting in GT does more to pull its look together.

longdi

Banned
I think the graphics comparison has been long won by GT5P. What happening is some of us question the professionalism of what turn10 did. The trust that has been placed with their community manager is broken. You dont brag against your competitor, mislead the public and then just shrug everything off and go away after gotten caught with hands in jar. This being about gaming and fun, some of us are having fun serving crow.

Dan Greenawalt said:
“We’ve got the best physics. We’ve got the best graphics. We’ve got the most cars. We’ve got the most tracks. We’ve got an online community that is unparalleled not just in racing but in gaming in general. Nobody does things with user-generated content the way we do.”

“I’ll stand behind this and say there is no racing game that’ll look better on any console.”

What a douche bag. At least now they will think twice and grow thicker skin before attempting another such stun. :D

jaypah

longdi said:
I think the graphics comparison has been long won by GT5P. What happening is some of us question the professionalism of what turn10 did. The trust that has been placed with their community manager is broken. You dont brag against your competitor, mislead the public and then just shrug everything off and go away after gotten caught with hands in jar. This being about gaming and fun, some of us are having fun serving crow.

What a douche bag. At least now they will think twice and grow thicker skin before attempting another such stun. :D

depends on how F3 sells. if it sells well then the bullshit for hype was worth it and the backlash will be swept away under waves of money. that's just business.

lowrider007

ShapeGSX said:
The fact is that most people wouldn't know what a car feels like at the limit to compare to a game, anyway. :) If you have never ended up doing a 180 or 360 because your car was at the absolute limit of adhesion in a corner, it is hard to compare your experience to that of a game in your living room. Hell, even when you HAVE done that, it is hard to compare.

So, like you said, most people just say that whichever one they prefer has the better physics model.

tis true, but purely out of curiosity it would be nice to know on a professional level which one does have the more realistic physics engine, have there been many independent professional drivers that have had an 'objective' opinion on both of the games physics engines ?

jaypah said:
how many times are you going to read that wrong? my point was that excusing people for trolling the game Forza because of some "Definitive Racing Game" shit that Dan said is just as stupid as trolling GT because it claims to be "The Real Driving Simulator".

Well the difference is one of those things is intended as an insult and the other isnt, so it's not at all what you're trying to make it out to be.
You act like a trollish response to an insult is the same thing as a trollish response to something that clearly isnt an insult. I think only one of those things is stupid. the other is immaturity.
edit:
just to clarify, the "insult" I'm referencing is Greenawalt's comment about Kaz being the "naked emperor."

forza3face.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

StuBurns

Banned
Fredrik said:
Didn't he say "right now"? I mean GT5 comes march 2010 so what is there that compares to Forza 3 right now? Hai gaiz im nfs shift? :p
“I’ll stand behind this and say there is no racing game that’ll look better on any console.”

No, in fact, his comment is so fucking stupid, it doesn't even limit it to this generation of consoles.

Bogie19th

Neo Member
longdi said:

Overall, he could be right as far as the best graphics go. Granted, the cars are not the best of the two, but so far, the environment graphics as usual, are better. Might be an OVERALL comment.

skyfinch

H_Prestige said:

Maybe because both demo tracks have similar features like mountains, and trees.:lol

And I doubt that Forza3's demo track is the best, especially after seeing the Amalfi coastal track.

ShapeGSX said:

From someone who has extensive experience in racing and driving high-po vehicles, Forza 3's driving model feels better than GTs.

Of course that won't be enough to convince the armchair racers out there, but I digress.

jaypah

theignoramus said:
Well the difference is one of those things is intended as an insult and the other isnt, so it's not at all what you're trying to make it out to be.
You act like a trollish response to an insult is the same thing as a trollish response to something that clearly isnt an insult. I think only one of those things is stupid. the other is immaturity.
edit:
just to clarify, the "insult" I'm referencing is Greenawalt's comment about Kaz being the "naked emperor."

again, you've lost me. i never said anything about the naked emperor. i was talking about your "definitive, definitive, definitive" post, which is what you yourself said spurred the Forza hate. i just pointed out that it was all stupid and the hate existed with Forza 2 and part 1 before it. "The Definitive Driving Game" seemed no different to me than "The Real Driving Simulator", just marketing jazz that fanboys take and run with on message boards. so i called trolling for either a jackass move, which it is.

theignoramus said:
Iknos:
well obviously FM3 trolling happens in the other thread, but Dan Greenawalt instigated alot of that animosity. Definitive,definitive,definitive.........
carry on.

and somehow that makes me a "goofball" with some fanboy mask on? this tread gets funnier by the day. those 3 boxes under my TV are for playing games. nothing more, nothing less. i love them about as much as i love a cigarette lighter, they're just a means to my habit.

Interfectum

fastford58 said:
From someone who has extensive experience in racing and driving high-po vehicles, Forza 3's driving model feels better than GTs.

Of course that won't be enough to convince the armchair racers out there, but I digress.

I doubt you have more experience than Top Gear and them calling Forza an "arcade racer" didn't convince armchair racers either.

So don't feel too hard done by.

h3ro

fastford58 said:

Are you an expert in Japanese culture as well?

hie

Interfectum said:
I doubt you have more experience than Top Gear and them calling Forza an "arcade racer" didn't convince armchair racers either.

So don't feel too hard done by.

If they think F3 has fake physics...I can't wait to hear what they think of GT. Forza 1 trumped GT, sim-wise, the moment it was released. I never even knew this was up for debate and I'm a looong time GT junkie (race sims, in general).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Interfectum said:
Top Gear, the final word. :lol

I love how you continue to equate anything from the Top Gear group as having the same driving experience, regardless of whoever actually writes the articles for them. But hey, if they posted it it must be legit because they all have more supercar experience than anyone right?

Hell, wasn't there a Top Gear blog tidbit that also dismissed rFactor as a driving sim?

J-Rzez

The Steve said:
You people take this Forza 3 VS GT5 a little too seriously.

This is not "serious", THIS, IS, WAR!

hie said:
If they think F3 has fake physics...I can't wait to hear what they think of GT. Forza 1 trumped GT, sim-wise, the moment it was released. I never even knew this was up for debate and I'm a looong time GT junkie (race sims, in general).

To be honest, they both acceled in their physics in different areas. This is a comparison to real track time, over the years experience. If you blend best of's, you'd have the perfect game. Only difference, which I'm slightly concerned with is the "new" physics engine in GT5. Could be better, but certainly could be worse.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Blah, this thread is getting boring. It's just the same 3-4 Sony shill's repeating the same shit over and over for the last few pages.
You'd think things would pick up a little with it being the weekend.

Interfectum

hie said:
If they think F3 has fake physics...I can't wait to hear what they think of GT.

You don't have to wait.

that’s Forza for you – a good game but an arcade game, where GT5 will be more a simulation

Clarkson on GT4

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article552096.ece

I am in a position to test out its claims because, unlike most people, I really have driven almost all of them in real life.

There are mistakes. The BMW M3 CSL, for instance, brakes much better on the road than it does on the screen. And there’s no way a Peugeot 106 could outdrag a Fiat Punto off the line. But other than this, I’m struggling: they’ve even managed to accurately reflect the differences between a Mercedes SL 600 and the Mercedes SL 55, which is hard enough to do in real life.

Of course GT5 will be even better thanks to the power of CELL.

skulpt

I think the tipping point for me came when Che took the instance of GT devs playing their game and taking notes, and then Che basically using it to rip GT. Didn't he basically say the GT team haven't done anything new in years? Most devs would make that a time to respect each other.

I really have no problems with devs saying something will be great, amazing, what ever... Something along the lines of:

"We think that we've created the dream driving experience for gamers. From our cutting edge visuals to the advanced physics engine and customization, we feel that gamers have the best overall driving experience in Forza 3."

But the tone this guy put things...

phil_t

Banned
Well, I've had a couple of days with the demo, and feel I have made my mind up about.

Graphics wise, I was initially a little disappointed, mainly by the replays of all things, the slight low poly LOD, the lack of anything but an unlit basic interior when viewed from outside, etc..

Whilst actually playing in chase-cam or when you get close to other cars in a race it's actually a big step up from FM2, not GT5 level of course, but actually I was more impressed as I put more time in that the models/reflections etc are all top notch.

So, initially disappointed that really GT5 fans have a lot of 'useless' ammunition now to fling at Forza, although reality dictates that graphics are only the tip of the iceberg in any game.

Now, what is defo on par, or better then all the other games is on Monserrat, the track, trackside and scenery are stunning. I run in bumpercam, so I have the best 'view' for racing, and quite frankly I am stunned that this lives upto and exceeds the hype that has led up to FM3. But it isn't just the scenery, the other main thing that stands out is the rear view mirror in bumper/hood view which is very highly detailed. You see the smoke from your tyres, you can even see awesome reflections in the bonnets of the AI cars behind you.

It's not fair to compare Monserrat to GT5p's London, the Draw distance is much lower, so you would expect it to be able to look good.

On to the Physics.. I'm only an pretty average driver, but was ranking in the top 50 in the GT3 RSR last night so I'd say that I'm driving that car very close to it's limit. The physics are pretty decent, the ability to feel and balance the car on the throttle, brakes is very involving indeed. Like FM2, the weight transfer and suspension loading is top notch, and you can really feel what the car is doing, it's probably the best console racer at the moment by a margin.

I know that a certain type of person that is concerned about graphics absolutes is going to be very happy in lauding GT5 screen shots over FM3 screenshots, but that's really being unfair to a game that probably is as good as the hype in everything but the car graphics themselves.

I think if FK and other tracks share the same sense of detail and draw distance as Monserrat, you really have to be very sad to start hating on the game that has only had 2 years development, yet is going to offer one of the best gaming and driving experiences on any console.

GT5 (also a game I'm so looking forward to), is not without lots of graphics faults while actually 'racing'.. it's capable of much higher LOD's which can give some awesome screenshots which will always be a degree better then FM3. However, just from the GDC Demo, there are some pretty sub-par elements that actually are very noticeable in actual gameplay, the one area most of us spend all our time. Things like
1. Some moveable track items don't show in the rear view mirror at times
2. Quite low detail in rear view mirror
3. Horrible low res shadows with weird aliasing effects that look poor
4. Very low LOD on wheels which are at odds with the car models

Having seen all the video footage so far, as impressed as I am with the odd car shot/headlamp shot from replays that looks realistic, when in-game, in-motion, because most other cars are a distance away, it actually looks no better then FM3 in the main.

I think people should just stick to the game they like, taking 'absolutes' of graphics to pronounce a game 'superior' is really not being fair at all, and it does tend to make people sound like graphic whores, which quite frankly is one of the explanations to their behaviour that fits quite nicely.

jaypah said:
again, you've lost me. i never said anything about the naked emperor. i was talking about your "definitive, definitive, definitive" post, which is what you yourself said spurred the Forza hate. i just pointed out that it was all stupid and the hate existed with Forza 2 and part 1 before it. "The Definitive Driving Game" seemed no different to me than "The Real Driving Simulator", just marketing jazz that fanboys take and run with on message boards. so i called trolling for either a jackass move, which it is.

and somehow that makes me a "goofball" with some fanboy mask on? this tread gets funnier by the day. those 3 boxes under my TV are for playing games. nothing more, nothing less. i love them about as much as i love a cigarette lighter, they're just a means to my habit.
My post was a reference to Greenawalt's PR, not the actual slogan (The definitive driving game) itself. During E3, the tone of his PR was antagonistic. I was not claiming that all of the flaming coming from the GT thread was attributable to one PR slogan, a large part of it was due to the blatant smack talk coming from Greenawalt.

Top Bottom