• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Truespeed

ShapeGSX said:
Forza 2 was only ever bundled with the $400 to $450 Elite in the US. It was the 2007 Elite holiday bundle along with Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

I've never really thought of the Elite as a great seller. Are you saying that it is?

360holidaybundles1.jpg

You sure about that?

Shurs

Truespeed said:
http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/08/360holidaybundles1.jpg/IMG]

You sure about that?[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for KHarvey16 to correct that, seeing as he's only in the thread to stop the spread of misinformation.

KHarvey16

TheFatOne said:
Can you tell me which month specifically? How was Forza 2 received in Europe?

August 19th, 2008. Che brought up the UK specifically a minute ago so I doubt European sales were insignificant.

Cat in the Hat said:
Maybe he meat the future market as well? I dunno

He said on the market. That means available to buy. If he said "forza 3 is the best racing game that will ever exist" I might have sympathy for all of the morons whining about that quote.

Guess what, he can say that because GT5 ISN'T OUT YET. Apparently a lot of people in this thread think screenshots are a game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
elrechazao said:
Name one on the market that's better?

I don't think you know what on the market means.

Hehe, technically his game isn't on the market either. And he said nothing comes within years of what they have, not that no game on the market lacks what his has.

KHarvey16

Shurs said:
I was waiting for KHarvey16 to correct that, seeing as he's only in the thread to stop the spread of misinformation.

I have the most posts in this thread thanks to defending against BS from one side. I do have to sleep some time. I think the army of GT/PS3 fanboys can handle the meager contribution from the other side.

elrechazao said:
He said on the market. That means available to buy. If he said "forza 3 is the best racing game that will ever exist" I might have sympathy for all of the morons whining about that quote.

Guess what, he can say that because GT5 ISN'T OUT YET. Apparently a lot of people in this thread think screenshots are a game.
I guess my sarcasm didn't register. I was agreeing with you Haas.

I bought Forza 2 from Argos for £10 about 5 months after it came out. My friend who paid £50 for the special edition wasn't happy.

Same thing happened with PGR4 too, actually.

Also I got a second copy of Forza 2 when I bought my Elite...

So yeah, we in the UK love Forza when it's bundled with the console we're buying or only costs 1/4 of the regular price.

Crap, I wasn't going to post in this thread... I'll pick up Forza 3 pretty close to day 1 and a PS3 when GT5 launches in the UK.

AndyD said:
Hehe, technically his game isn't on the market either. And he said nothing comes within years of what they have, not that no game on the market lacks what his has.

He didn't say it was. He said that the product they have in their hands right now, is better than what is on the market now. There's nothing contradictory about that whatsoever.

Cat in the Hat said:
I guess my sarcasm didn't register. I was agreeing with you Haas.

Sorry, the pure stupid in this thread (inorite? i totally am surprised given the thread title :lol :lol ) has destroyed my sarcasm detectors.

mujun

So this thread has degenerated even further into attacks on the people associated with one of the games? That shows exactly how desperate some people are to have a go at the competition. They might be dicks or whatever but at the end of the day I can't see how that affects the actual game experience whatsoever.

elrechazao said:
Sorry, the pure stupid in this thread (inorite? i totally am surprised given the thread title :lol :lol ) has destroyed my sarcasm detectors.
I truly don't blame you. This thread is well....well it's somethin else.

KHarvey16

TheFatOne said:
Che has to give us number for the U.K. because it didn't do anything in the U.S.

Only if "anything" is defined by making it onto the NPD chart. Look at the names on there. A lot of games apparently didn't do "anything" that month in your estimation.

TheFatOne

KHarvey16 said:
Only if "anything" is defined by making it onto the NPD chart. Look at the names on there. A lot of games apparently didn't do "anything" that month in your estimation.

How much do you think the game sold that month?

Interfectum

So we're supposed to believe it sold 1.3m in NA and 2.7m in Europe?

I doubt it sold more than Halo in Europe and I very much doubt it sold double in Europe than it did in NA.

I think it's pretty obvious why MS never crowed about Forza 2 sales as they have done with their other first party marquee titles like Halo and Gears.

It's just not a seller which is why Turn 10 is resorting to hyperbole in some misguided attempt to spur sales.

Fender_Uk said:
a vs thread :O not used to these being a gametrailers forum user

This is a pretty special case, since somehow, Forza/xbots vs GT/Sonyfans fans are truly frightening in this forum, both games get a lot of trolling in their respective threads...

KHarvey16

H_Prestige said:
I'm surprised it took this long for the topic to turn into a sales war.

The worst part is it's not even a sales war. There is no argument from anyone regarding GT sales versus FM sales. The new thing is now that Forza 2 sold poorly or otherwise wasn't a hit on the 360.

KHarvey16

TheFatOne said:
How much do you think the game sold that month?

Less than 111.2K, more than 1. Your guess is as good as mine. The point was it contributed to the numbers and you weren't taking it into account.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
theignoramus said:
How do people find out the top 5 posters in a thread?

By clicking on the number that shows how many replies there are in the thread on the main page, here,

35cq6f6.jpg

And then this will pop up,

o5nigo.jpg

Interfectum

Another possible reason for Turn 10's hyperbole is this time Forza 3 is up against some strong competition for racing dollars on 360 from NFS and Dirt 2.

The climate is very different to when Forza 2 released when there were few quality alternatives to choose from.

I'd venture to guess than Forza 3 will sell less than Forza 2 when all is said and done.

Its first month's NPDs will be telling.

Shurs

KHarvey16 said:
The worst part is it's not even a sales war. There is no argument from anyone regarding GT sales versus FM sales. The new thing is now that Forza 2 sold poorly or otherwise wasn't a hit on the 360.

It sold over 220k in the US alone in its first month. It's certainly not a flop.

Interfectum said:
Another possible reason for Turn 10's hyperbole is this time Forza 3 is up against some strong competition for racing dollars on 360 from NFS and Dirt 2.

The climate is very different to when Forza 2 released when there were few quality alternatives to choose from.

I'd venture to guess than Forza 3 will sell less than Forza 2 when all is said and done.

They should no fear, Forza 3 looks better than Shift and Dirt2, 60fps>30fps.

And both of those games aren't exactly the same as Forza3, because they aren't full racing sims....

Relaxed Muscle said:
They should no fear, Forza 3 looks better than Shift and Dirt2, 60fps>30fps.

And both of those games aren't exactly the same as Forza3, because they aren't full racing sims....
But will it have a badass commercial like Shift did? Because that alone was enough for me to buy it. Bunch of my friends also picked it up because how cool it looked and they don't like sim racing games.

ShapeGSX

Interfectum said:

Yes, you are right. The climate is very different from May 2007. There are probably around 3x as many 360s in users hands now as opposed to back then.

Shurs

Cat in the Hat said:
But will it have a badass commercial like Shift did? Because that alone was enough for me to buy it. Bunch of my friends also picked it up because how cool it looked and they don't like sim racing games.

This. I didn't buy Shift but it does have a hell of a commercial. All games should show real gameplay and plaster "real gameplay footage" on the screen. I'm looking at you Killzone 2.

Interfectum

ShapeGSX said:
There are probably around 3x as many 360s in users hands as opposed to back then.

Sales-age 101: Games sales don't increase linearly with userbase.

As one example of many

- GT3 13m
- GT4 10m

chespace said:
Anyway, Forza 2 says were pretty good. We obviously want to do better with Forza 3. We'll see how it goes.

Can you tell us some projections or expectations for sales? Give us a range of at least.

Shurs

ShapeGSX said:
Yes, you are right. The climate is very different from May 2007. There are probably around 3x as many 360s in users hands now as opposed to back then.

So are you expecting three times the first month sales?

ShapeGSX

Interfectum said:
Sales-age 101: Games sales don't increase linearly with userbase.

As one example of many

- GT3 13m
- GT4 10m

Well duh. Did I say Forza 3 would sell 3x?

But having a larger userbase is hardly a hinderance.

Cat in the Hat said:

Well, let's see, it's clear the situation it's not the same, but Forza it's pretty stablished by now, and it's the only option for racing sim fans and even GT fans with both consoles, since GT5 has been delayed to 2010.

Forza3 will do fine.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Well, let's see, it's clear the situation it's not the same, but Forza it's pretty stablished by now, and it's the only option for racing sim fans and even GT fans with both consoles, since GT5 has been delayed to 2010.

Forza3 will do fine.
I think it'll do fine, but not great.

Top Bottom