• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Cheeto

Well, that about wraps this argument up...FortunateSon drives a car himself...I think he knows what he's talking about.

Iknos

Arucardo said:
They can compare and troll all they want after Forza 3 is released and the rest of us will be playing it (oh no, I posted in this thread...I'm ashamed).

Too late. You have become interfectumed with dumbness.

Doc Evils

Interfectum said:
The gold standard in physics according to Forza fanatics in this thread

124c2v8.jpg

fm3235.gif

fm3dog438.gif

5b6650.gif

15ph936.jpg

It's obvious Forza 3's physics are nothing special but since it's been obliterated visually by GT5 it's all that they have left to cling to

:lol :lol :lol

Interfectum

jakonovski said:
I never said Forza3 is perfect. You on the other hand deliberately wanted to mislead people. Have you no shame?

You haven't but plenty of others are claiming it has the best physics evar when it clearly doesn't.

Not attempting to mislead anyone just setting the record straight.

Interfectum said:
You haven't but plenty of others are claiming it has the best physics evar when it clearly doesn't.

Not attempting to mislead anyone just setting the record straight.

You were not setting the record straight, you were posting pictures of clipping issues as evidence of bad physics. That's called lying.

jakonovski said:
You were not setting the record straight, you were posting pictures of clipping issues as evidence of bad physics. That's called lying.

Yup. I thought this thread was a comparison between GT5 and Forza 3. No one is assuming Forza 3 has the best physics engine of all time. It is better than GT5's physics engine, however, and this has already been proven. The damage model is better as well. The vehicle aesthetics.. not so much.

Arnie

mentalfloss said:
Yup. I thought this thread was a comparison between GT5 and Forza 3. No one is assuming Forza 3 has the best physics engine of all time. It is better than GT5's physics engine, however, and this has already been proven. The damage model is better as well. The vehicle aesthetics.. not so much.
This.

Iknos

jakonovski said:
I never said Forza3 is perfect. You on the other hand deliberately wanted to mislead people. Have you no shame?

Eh...go easy on them.

It's been really rough for these guys. Not only is their favorite console in 3rd place...but they are getting shafted with inferior looking versions of multiplatform games.

For a console warrior that ultimately means little reason to live...let alone crack a smile. It would be a pretty miserable life if you think about it.

So when they have a chance to give themselves at least a little bit of meaning to their lives who are we to take it away from them?

They now have a reason to get up in the morning. A reason to take a shower even. They glance at those rusty razor blades and think to themselves: "Not now. Maybe when the next generation comes out and Hirai is fired but dammit not now."

I've come to look at these posters in a different light. Perhaps it would be safe to say...I pity them.

Had they not had this opportunity...could you imagine the pent up rage and self frustration? Witnessing themselves at all the fun people are having with Forza the Xbox game. The critics praising the game. The millions of gamers playing it.

Can you imagine how mentally unstable they would be if they were not able to post gifs of game glitches? It would just be eating at them until they decide to do something very very bad to themselves.

And that is something we should all hope to avoid. We must hold all life as sacred and precious.

And so I say to them: "Post on. Don't let facts or information stop you. People demand of you intelligence? Nay! Show them that intelligence is no match for a laughing emoticon. Convert your emotional pain into trolling and you will be free of the heavy guilt you feel when you browse the NPD thread."

[Nintex]

Iknos said:
"Post on. Don't let facts or information stop you. People demand of you intelligence? Nay! Show them that intelligence is no match for a laughing emoticon. Convert your emotional pain into trolling and you will be free of the heavy guilt you feel when you browse the NPD thread."
30i7u3k.jpg

adelante

Iknos said:
And so I say to them: "Post on. Don't let facts or information stop you. People demand of you intelligence? Nay! Show them that intelligence is no match for a laughing emoticon. Convert your emotional pain into trolling and you will be free of the heavy guilt you feel when you browse the NPD thread."
AMEN BROTHA!!

Iknos said:
Eh...go easy on them.

It's been really rough for these guys. Not only is their favorite console in 3rd place...but they are getting shafted with inferior looking versions of multiplatform games.

For a console warrior that ultimately means little reason to live...let alone crack a smile. It would be a pretty miserable life if you think about it.

So when they have a chance to give themselves at least a little bit of meaning to their lives who are we to take it away from them?

They now have a reason to get up in the morning. A reason to take a shower even. They glance at those rusty razor blades and think to themselves: "Not now. Maybe when the next generation comes out and Hirai is fired but dammit not now."

I've come to look at these posters in a different light. Perhaps it would be safe to say...I pity them.

Had they not had this opportunity...could you imagine the pent up rage and self frustration? Witnessing themselves at all the fun people are having with Forza the Xbox game. The critics praising the game. The millions of gamers playing it.

Can you imagine how mentally unstable they would be if they were not able to post gifs of game glitches? It would just be eating at them until they decide to do something very very bad to themselves.

And that is something we should all hope to avoid. We must hold all life as sacred and precious.

I applaud the effort, but in no way shape or form was the funny in the slightest.

Woz

Iknos said:
Eh...go easy on them.

Wow

Iknos

pseudocaesar said:
I applaud the effort, but in no way shape or form was the funny in the slightest.

I was being completely serious. This is serious business.

I will not tolerate laughing at the idea that these people are on the edge. People with little hope...little motivation to even go about their lives.

Can you imagine them playing their favorite game and thinking to themselves: "I should be having fun...but someone posted positive comments about the physics of an Xbox game on GAF".

It...it makes me teary eyed just thinking about it.

Life can be so cruel sometimes.

adelante

Iknos said:
I was being completely serious. This is serious business.

I will not tolerate laughing at the idea that these people are on the edge. People with little hope...little motivation to even go about their lives.

Can you imagine them playing their favorite game and thinking to themselves: "I should be having fun...but someone posted positive comments about the physics of an Xbox game on GAF".

It...it makes me teary eyed just thinking about it.

Life can be so cruel sometimes.
Well yeah... these people are already having a hard time as it is distinguishing glitches (usually something that can't be easily replicated in the game) from features that are fundamentally lacking (bumper car physics).

Cheeto

Interfectum said:
When is the full Forza 3 game out?

And can anyone recommend a good video -> gif editor?
I don't know...probably not for a long time considering all the glitches they need to fix

Well ,having finally played the Forza 3 demo at least I can say its going to be a great racing game.

As for the graphics/phisics fight you have ongoing in here ....

First ,the FM3 ingame graphics are not on the same level to what Turn 10 has been showing lately in "touched" shots.

Second ,they are still a large improvement over Forza 2 "meh" graphics.

Third ,the FM3 graphics are not on par with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue released 1.5 years ago.Gran Turismo 5 obliterates them ,with twice the cars on-screen,a lot more polygons and geometry in each car and apparently 1080p graphics versus FM3 720p.Theres no arguing about this.Still ,FM3 looks remarkably good and good enough for any racing fan to enjoy the ride....just not up to GT5 standars and not above GRID2 or even NFS:Shift.

Fourth,about phisics and such.FM3 doesn have some great phisics effects ....but that isnt to say they are realistic.They arent realistic ,but at least give you some feedback for your crashes and fast-speed handling.GT1 and 2 had that bumper effect ,GT3 was a definite improvement,didnt play GT4 ,but GT5P doesnt play at all as GT1-3 so the refinining continues and GT5 will play differently too.These are games ,the phisics wont be totally realistic ever....GT5 traditionally opted by the slowing you down and letting you reenter the race for yourself and FM for more drastic effects but at the end the result is unrealistic ....the minor flaw handling results in the rival cars being out of your reach for the remaining of the race and this doesnt happen in any of the games.The effect shown (slowing you down or more spectacular rollovers etc) because a crash of handling mistake is different buy both are unrealistic.

Fifth ,GT5 wont be out for 6 months more.I think its a bit to early to speak about its phisics or damage models.I think PD was to release it as it is right now (damage in some 250 cars or so) but the backlash about the limited damage and not being included in all the cars has forced PD to rethink again their strategy and opt for a full damage model for every car in the game and some reworking in the handling/collisions engine to reflect this,hence the extra developing time granted to them by Sony.I am sure Sony wanted to have this this winter ,but they just cant afford to have GT5 out with weak points for the internet fanboys to exploit so they have given Yamauchi the extra time.

Conclusion ,enjoy the great FM 3 now and in some months come back for the (hopefully )ultimate racing game in the form of Gran Turismo 5.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Iknos said:
Eh...go easy on them.

Post of the month really. Eloquent, insightful, empathic and magnanimous all in one post. Quite an achievement.
It can't be easy to support the underdog. Years of bad game ports and continual broken promises from their masters must in the end take their toll. I'm amazed some of them are as sane as they are considering.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
achilles140 said:
Well ,having finally played the Forza 3 demo at least I can say its going to be a great racing game.

As for the graphics/phisics fight you have ongoing in here ....

First ,the FM3 ingame graphics are not on the same level to what Turn 10 has been showing lately in "touched" shots.

Second ,they are still a large improvement over Forza 2 "meh" graphics.

Third ,the FM3 graphics are not on par with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue released 1.5 years ago.Gran Turismo 5 obliterates them ,with twice the cars on-screen,a lot more polygons and geometry in each car and apparently 1080p graphics versus FM3 720p.Theres no arguing about this.Still ,FM3 looks remarkably good and good enough for any racing fan to enjoy the ride....just not up to GT5 standars and not above GRID2 or even NFS:Shift.

Fourth,about phisics and such.FM3 doesn have some great phisics effects ....but that isnt to say they are realistic.They arent realistic ,but at least give you some feedback for your crashes and fast-speed handling.GT1 and 2 had that bumper effect ,GT3 was a definite improvement,didnt play GT4 ,but GT5P doesnt play at all as GT1-3 so the refinining continues and GT5 will play differently too.These are games ,the phisics wont be totally realistic ever....GT5 traditionally opted by the slowing you down and letting you reenter the race for yourself and FM for more drastic effects but at the end the result is unrealistic ....the minor flaw handling results in the rival cars being out of your reach for the remaining of the race and this doesnt happen in any of the games.The effect shown (slowing you down or more spectacular rollovers etc) because a crash of handling mistake is different buy both are unrealistic.

Fifth ,GT5 wont be out for 6 months more.I think its a bit to early to speak about its phisics or damage models.I think PD was to release it as it is right now (damage in some 250 cars or so) but the backlash about the limited damage and not being included in all the cars has forced PD to rethink again their strategy and opt for a full damage model for every car in the game and some reworking in the handling/collisions engine to reflect this,hence the extra developing time granted to them by Sony.I am sure Sony wanted to have this this winter ,but they just cant afford to have GT5 out with weak points for the internet fanboys to exploit so they have given Yamauchi the extra time.

Conclusion ,enjoy the great FM 3 now and in some months come back for the (hopefully )ultimate racing game in the form of Gran Turismo 5.

What a wonderfully balanced and reasoned response. Have you got lost and stumbled into this thread by accident...

cyberheater said:
Post of the month really. Eloquent, insightful, empathic and magnanimous all in one post. Quite an achievement.
It can't be easy to support the underdog. Years of bad game ports and continual broken promises from their masters must in the end take their toll. I'm amazed some of them are as sane as they are considering.

Its because despite all the retarded sales wars, PS3 only owners are still getting a fucking amazing gaming experience.

shuyin_

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
GT5= Better visuals
Forza 3 = Better gameplay

F3GT5...ftw
So you've played both retail versions of GT5 and F3 or do you really want to be called a troll? :p

mentalfloss said:
Are you stealth trolling as well? Who proved it? I want to ask him a few questions..like how come he had access to GT5's retail version?

I just remarked something: take for example an user like KHarvey16; he likes using expressions like "Sony/GT troll central" or "army of GT/PS3 fanboys" and yet, he never mentions some of you guys. Guys like F#A#Oo or guys like you mentalfloss and jakonovski, guys that state with absolute certainty, as an absolute fact, that F3 has better physics that GT5. Not to say you won't be right in the end (you may be right, but PD is still upgrading the physics in GT5), but how can you say that, now, without coming off as a troll?...how do u know?
Take a moment to consider this scenario: PD already stated they're still working on the physics engine of the game; what if come release they'll surprise everyone with a physics engine better than F3's? What would that say about your current statements?
So, did you guys play the retail version of GT5 to be able to make a valid and pertinent comparison? On that note, How many of you guys own a PS3?

Don't worry, i'll pretend i didn't notice your hypocrisy ;)

Iknos said:
Eh...go easy on them.

PS Fans 2002: Its the games, no the graphics!
PS Fans 2007: Forget the games, its the graphics!

The irony is lost on a lot of people. Xbox fan's aren't exactly any better, but for some reason, mainly 3 or 4 posters, Sony fans are especially obnoxious here.

What do you think would happen if Forza 3 was demonstrably the better looking game, but GT5 was out sooner, had better community features and a better physics engine? What would their arguments be then? They'd be downplaying the graphical edge and playing up the other features relevant to their system of choice.

Its just idiotic. This is meant to be the "premium" gaming forum and take a look at these arseholes. They want everyone who buys Forza 3 to be dissatisfied out of some misguided hatred of a consumer electronics device.
shuyin_ said:
Take a moment to consider this scenario: PD already stated they're still working on the physics engine of the game; what if come release they'll surprise everyone with a physics engine better than F3's? What would that say about your current statements?
So, did you guys play the retail version of GT5 to be able to make a valid and pertinent comparison? On that note, How many of you guys own a PS3?

Promises are easy to make, haven't we learnt this lesson with Turn 10? GT5 may be the definitive racing game of the generation, but we are only going on what we have to work with.

Senua

Gold Member
Lug nuts or not, Forza 3 just doesnt hold up to GT5 graphically, and remember the GT5 shot is a replay shot using in game car models, Forzas in game model wont look as good as this photomode shot

lugnuts.jpg

cyberheater

pseudocaesar said:
Its because despite all the retarded sales wars, PS3 only owners are still getting a fucking amazing gaming experience.

No doubt. The PS3 is a lovely gaming machine and it's the first machine I recommend to my friends if they ask weather they should get a PS3 or a 360.

I hope you're not taking this thread too seriously?

Cheeto

cyberheater said:
What a wonderfully balanced and reasoned response. Have you got lost and stumbled into this thread by accident...
Sarcasm? Is it balanced because the conclusion is inline with what you want to hear? Because all I read was terrible english, incoherent, and incomplete thoughts.
I mean, this is probably the best assessment of phisics I've ever read
GT5 traditionally opted by the slowing you down and letting you reenter the race for yourself and FM for more drastic effects but at the end the result is unrealistic ....the minor flaw handling results in the rival cars being out of your reach for the remaining of the race and this doesnt happen in any of the games.The effect shown (slowing you down or more spectacular rollovers etc) because a crash of handling mistake is different buy both are unrealistic.

F#A#Oo

Banned
shuyin_ said:
So you've played both retail versions of GT5 and F3 or do you really want to be called a troll? :p

Guys like F#A#Oo or guys like you mentalfloss and jakonovski, guys that state with absolute certainty, as an absolute fact, that F3 has better physics that GT5. Not to say you won't be right in the end (you may be right, but PD is still upgrading the physics in GT5), but how can you say that, now, without coming off as a troll?...how do u know?

Don't worry, i'll pretend i didn't notice your hypocrisy ;)

I own all the console's and my post reflected this. I will be buying GT5 AND Forza.

Having owned and completed GT5:p I can safely say PD are masters at making cars look awesome and detailed. But gameplay wise the Forza demo showed off Turn 10 have the simulation aspects down to a T. To th point it might be too realistic.

But whatever man...I'm not interested in this GT5 vs Forza...I will enjoy both. But GT fans are only fooling themselves if they think PD can out-do Turn 10 in the sim area of racing.

cyberheater

Fender_Uk said:
Lug nuts or not, Forza 3 just doesnt hold up to GT5 graphically, and remember the GT5 shot is a replay shot using in game car models, Forzas in game model wont look as good as this photomode shot

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1726/lugnuts.jpg[/img]

Bullshit. If you think that GT5 will actually look like that with that level of car details, reflections, anti aliasing etc... while you're actually playing the game then you're letting yourself in for a big disappointment when the game ships.

tirant

Fender_Uk said:
nope its the same model as in game just less aliasing

It will be the same case as Forza's. Applied LOD will reduce the number of polygons.

The real graphical advantage GT has over Forza is Lightning, not polygon count.

adelante

Fender_Uk said:

*pics*
The light refraction in the lit-up tail light is just amazing. And the pic further proves that Polyphony emulates reflective tint FAR BETTER than the turn10 guys; you don't get a washed-out hue when you're reflecting the sky (if we're talking Photoshop Blending Modes analogy, its akin to using Screen instead of Soft light). Such a simple detail makes a whole world of graphical difference...

Iknos said:
Eh...go easy on them.

Xbox 360s die a lot.

-x.Red.x-

Iknos said:

this Sept. NPD?

have fun with that...

Cheeto said:
Sarcasm? Is it balanced because the conclusion is inline with what you want to hear? Because all I read was terrible english, incoherent, and incomplete thoughts.
I mean, this is probably the best assessment of phisics I've ever read

Well ,english isnt my native language and I have made some spelling errors because writing fast.But incoherent and incomplete thoughts ?Dont think so ,only ones you dont like.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Interfectum said:
Would be interesting to get some numbers from PD.

The cars look like they're pushing 2x the geometry of Forza 3 cars and there are 16 of them.

Simply incredible.

941103_20090928_screen003.jpg

Yea baby keep shown them bullshots.

adelante

Class_A_Ninja said:
Xbox 360s die a lot.
See that's the thing! You'd think that having to go through multiple RROD experiences would've have traumatized 360 owners and make them more rabid posters but as it turned out, it's the other way around!

PD simply doesn't have a history of knowing how to make good physics. Like a lot of Japanese devs, they're stuck in their rut (amazing car graphics in this case). I'll believe good physics in GT5 when I see it, and I'll be playing myself when it comes out, because I love the career mode. Until that I'll stick with the 360 because there's no sense in buying a second console until the god game you want comes out.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
adelante said:
See that's the thing! You'd think that having to go through multiple RROD experiences would've have traumatized 360 owners and make them more rabid posters but as it turned out, it's the other way around!

I certainly became rabid when my 360 RRODed for the second time. But now I'm mellow because MS sent me a brand new unit. :lol

adelante

jakonovski said:
PD simply doesn't have a history of knowing how to make good physics. Like a lot of Japanese devs, they're stuck in their rut (amazing car graphics in this case). I'll believe good physics in GT5 when I see it, and I'll be playing myself when it comes out, because I love the career mode. Until that I'll stick with the 360 because there's no sense in buying a second console until the god game you want comes out.
So true. PES vs FIFA immediately comes to mind...(too bad those games are not popular enough to warrant a thread like this! :lol )

skybaby

TheHeretic said:
PS Fans 2002: Its the games, no the graphics!
PS Fans 2007: Forget the games, its the graphics!
You don't have to go back that far. We're seeing it right now!
Pre-damage: damage sucks, it's about pristine car porn!
Post-damage: take that forza, our damage is much better haha!

:lol

Cheeto

spyshagg said:
Lets leave the crashes to motorstorm.

This, is what I'm talking about: Driving physics.

LX6 (caterham clone) high mechanical grip, zero aerodynamic grip.
Check the pedal work at the bottom right. Green is gas pedal, red is brakes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrCzqRmAY8Y

Real life video of similar car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkUvVV9lrw&feature=related

But because you kids cant drive at this level, I can understand why crashing physics is important. Its all you would do, really.
yes LFS is an awesome game...better than both Forza or GT...but I thought this thread was about GT and Forza. Also, nice no lift shifts in that video...that clutch must be made of kryptonite.

Cheeto

achilles140 said:
Well ,english isnt my native language and I have made some spelling errors because writing fast.But incoherent and incomplete thoughts ?Dont think so ,only ones you dont like.
Your physics assessment doesn't make sense, it doesn't make a clear point.

Top Bottom