• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Iknos

GSG Flash said:
in response to fortunateson saying that GT5:p physics being equal to F3 physics, when indications clearly tell us to wait until both games are out because PD are adding new features to the game everyday, and that is something that you do know about.

That's not a potshot. That's actual info from PD. They talked about dealing with tire temperature but made no mention of tire gas temperature and tire pressure.

Good to know, that still doesn't clear the fact that you are taking potshots and are being a catalyst for the Forza trolling by posting things like

Again I don't see how mentioning recent news that PD has stated as a potshot. It's the facts and I laid it out.

When it came to something a bit more subjective like the graphics I've stated in this thread that GT5's are better. Funny that you do not consider that a potshot against Forza.

And that statement was directed to the trolls not to GT at all. I would think that this is pretty clear.

Not necessarily a troll, but definitely not as objective, atleast in this thread, as he's making himself out to be. Just because one side is seemingly getting attacked more than the other, which I don't believe it is since both sides have an equal amount of idiots, doesn't mean you have to take a side.

There is no equality here at all. None at all. I've asked another poster to show me some equivalent posts against GT. Maybe you can help him out.

GSG Flash said:
Since when was I claiming that I was objective? In fact, I'm claiming the opposite. Obviously my post was meant for people like iknos and kharvey who are claiming to be objective, yet they've chosen a side.

The only side I've "chosen" is against stupidity.

Noshino said:
I wasn't exactly referring to criticism towards the game, but rather ...well, them :lol

All I can say is that if you don't think this is some sort of proxy war for the console war...you haven't been following the GT and FM threads closely enough. People in those threads were talking about consoles sales and were focused on having appealing Fall lineups more than about the merits of the games themselves.

Doc Evils said:
Probably to hide interior detail to get a decent framerate.

You can still see the detail it's just very dark. My theory is that the lighting engine considers the windows to be objects that would block the sun and so you have the ambient lighting values lighting up the inside of the car. The ambient light would be fairly dark of course and thus the interior is as well. Essentially meaning there is very basic lighting in the car. When you lower the angle a bit you can see through the windows fairly well.

Creamy said:
More like Just Turned 10, amirite?

:lol

Andronicus said:
according to some people we are crazy for seeing that.....:lol

One would have to be crazy if they didn't realize the tint of the windows has less to do with the dark interiors and more to do with the lighting engine. It's pretty obvious when you play the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMycehH0TE#t=0m07s

Of course you can not believe me and choose not to watch the vid and then call me biased because I'm pointing out something this obvious.

skybaby

shinnn said:
on-guard-rails :lol

2z6tkyp.gif
I REALLY hope the new physics model doesn't allow that to happen anymore. That and speeding and accelerating over grass

Woz

Cheeto said:
Did something change? There are all these "how-to win" videos on youtube that show people sliding into turns and hitting the opponents to avoid braking in the corner.

I don't know, I try to drive clean but when I touch too hard some opponent/guardrail, or cut too much the corner, I take a penalty that slow my car for x seconds. This in GT5P Spec III.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Woz said:
I don't know, I try to drive clean but when I touch too hard some opponent/guardrail, or cut too much the corner, I take a penalty that slow my car for x seconds. This in GT5P Spec III.

Indeed, a lot has changed in the various updates. Early GT5p though was full of lulz like the one posted. But thats 2 years ago now.

phil_t

Banned
equap said:
are you a Forza fanatic?

Well, I'm not having a meltdown, so no...

I like both games for different reasons, but I see lots of flaws in each, so prefer not to take any sides, and judge each game by what it does..

It's people's flawed logic in their arguments that necessitates a response, and unfortunately I'd say this thread is a haven for heavily GT biased people, so it's hard to not have to defend a lot of rubbish being spouted..

Someone once told me "There's no fanboy like a Sony fanboy", and I'm starting to understand what they meant...

Interfectum

phil_t said:
Well, I'm not having a meltdown, so no...

"There's no fanboy like a Sony fanboy"

Let's not play innocent.

Damage controlling the game across 3 different forums (GAF, GTPlanet and FM.net) qualifies you as a fanatic.

AMUSIX

Interfectum said:
Let's not play innocent.

Damage controlling the game across 3 different forums (GAF, GTPlanet and FM.net) qualifies you as a fanatic.
Ha...nice...

Still, the little line about the PS3 fanboy does ring true...especially reading through this thread.

phil_t

Banned
Interfectum said:
Let's not play innocent.

I think you will find positive posts for GT over on GT Planet, as well as plenty of retorts to blind lunatics.

I frequent GT Planet, because oddly, I'm quite looking forward to the game, I signed up as soon as there was a sniff it would be out this year, I try and contribute about GT in a positive way where I can, but the majority of threads on there are very much like this thread, a haven for illogical and heavily biased people.

To be a fanatic, I'd have to blindly make ridiculous out of context stuff up attacking a game I don't even like, now who would do such a thing? ;)

Interfectum said:
Let's not play innocent.

And you're not a fanatic ? That's right, you're just fucking pathetic.

shpankey

not an idiot
Interfectum said:
Let's not play innocent.

The fact that you know that, means you're at all three too, which means you're just a hypocritical ass.

edit: quoted wrong guy initially

Iknos

Interfectum said:
I'm just here defending GT from the Forza fanatics and their lies.

Am I doing it right Iknos?

Well you have to realize that I was not only setting the record straight...I also exposed the motivation behind your agenda.

Stuff like the fact that the past few years must have been very hard for yourself. How your sleeping and eating habits were negatively affected as each NPD thread popped up.

I mean that's something that I hope people take away from this thread moreso than my corrections to your attempts to use stupidity as a tool to prove your point.

Durante

Iknos said:
Well you have to realize that I was not only setting the record straight...I also exposed the motivation behind your agenda.

Stuff like the fact that the past few years must have been very hard for yourself. How your sleeping and eating habits were negatively affected as each NPD thread popped up.
And you're the one claiming to be an objective voice of reason and factual argument in this thread? Holy shit!

Iknos said:
One would have to be crazy if they didn't realize the tint of the windows has less to do with the dark interiors and more to do with the lighting engine. It's pretty obvious when you play the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMycehH0TE#t=0m07s

Of course you can not believe me and choose not to watch the vid and then call me biased because I'm pointing out something this obvious.

yeah not everyone in here is a signle console owner.....Andromatic is my xbl oOOOH SHIT WHAT IS THE LAST GAME I PLAYED?

soo the other cars look better while in cockpit view? seems like it, less polys being used for your car must free up resources?

the funny thing is that in replays there are no tints no matter the view.

only in third person driving, so why is it that the lighting engine shows interiors in first person? and they are dark as shit in third, the angle excuse doesn't really justify it. you can go up and down hill with the light source going through diff windows and you still get the same effect.

im just trying to figure this out, is it for better performance? explain it to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
shpankey said:
Reminds me of the 2010 Mazda 3's...

2010-mazda3_gw_004-2754.jpg

Someone quick do a Car's super-imposition. Put eyeballs on the windshield etc. :lol
Oh boy, that is one car that actually looks better with a front license plate. :p

chrislowe

Only played Forza 2, and wasnt impressed by its physics.
When people say its about gameplay, i wonder... what except getting first over the finish line is a driving-game about?

Oh boy, had to come and give quick first impressions. First and foremost, the graphics are perfectly awesome when in motion. There's no sign of the bad lighting some pointed out in the screenshots. I have to conclude that anyone who complains is either a pixel counter who never plays these games let alone enjoys them, or has his tv settings somewhere around the orbit of Jupiter.

Some pros & cons.

Pros:

- awesome replication of the "seat of the pants" feeling of driving. I don't know how they do it, but you can practically sense the road underneath.

- great physics. It's true, it's even better than I expected. An awesome thing stood out: when racing in a tight pack, physics really becomes important as different kinds of contact have different consequences. Crashes are also great to watch because the cars behave in a believable manner (what, me drive backwards just to see crashes? Never!).

- cars sound real. All the parts make the noises they're supposed to, and engine roar gives you an erection. This is for me the number one aesthetic in a racing game.

- replays are totally sweet, complete with environmental reflections on the car. One of the best things you can do is watch the suspension and tyres perform their beautiful dance. There's a wealth of different cameras to help you enjoy these things, which I appreciated.

- the driver's seat view is such a relief. A relatively small thing and as a result the game will hold my interest much longer.

- the menus are slick and the music is bearable. Good design here makes it a joy to browse the various menus.

Cons:

- the civilian cars of the demo must be equipped with racing tyres, because there's just too much grip. The race Porsche on the other hand is perfect and there's a definite learning curve.

- adjusting your view with the right stick needs a lot of work. I'd love to watch the side mirrors, but instead the view just snaps to a Forza2 style side view.

GT5 and PD have their work cut out for them. Besting Forza3 will be very, very difficult. I fully except GT5 to merely be a sidegrade to Forza3.

Sweet Jesus, it only took 6 days for this thread to go over 3000 posts. I love you GAF.

I think they both look great but I still don't know which one I'll end grabbing.

Great thread!

Interfectum

FrostuTheNinja said:
Sweet Jesus, it only took 6 days for this thread to go over 3000 posts. I love you GAF.

I think they both look great but I still don't know which one I'll end grabbing.

Great thread!

The one where the developers don't lie to you for 2 years.

Or the one where the developers don't try and win online polls with bribery (and still lose).

Or the one where the developers don't troll forums like their fanatics.

Take your pick.

Cheeto

Interfectum said:

Or the one where the developers don't try and win online polls with bribery (and still lose).

Take your pick.
You tell um! This treachery mustn't stand!

KillerAJD

Interfectum said:

Take your pick.
Jesus christ dude 0_o

FrostuTheNinja said:

Great thread!
Why wouldn't you get BOTH? I mean, GT5 won't even be here until March, why would you need to chose one or the other? (monetary issues aside)

Interfectum said:

Take your pick.

You're buying games according to these criterias ? That some weird fanboy shit you've got there.

shuyin_

Banned
FrostuTheNinja said:

Great thread!
If you have both consoles (and that's what you seem to imply) and you can afford it, get both. After that tell us which one you like most :p

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
bishoptl said:
Insert obligatory "damn" gif/jpeg here.

Anyway, this above post proves some of these people are literally a slipped comment away from the dreaded bish, I love it.

Interfectum...wow.
Chrange said:
GT5's first release date - Christmas 2008.

GT5's actual release date* - Spring 2010.

* - so far :lol
Stop reminding me, I just want to bloody play the game and it seems to just slip me by. Ah well by the time GT5 does come out it will be epic. However we need to remind the guys at Polyphony that they can patch new features in post release, and thus they can continue coming up with new ideas while we play the game.

GSG Flash said:
Or you're just upset, as a Forza supporter, that I called out Forza supporters who claim to be objective and non biased (in their own words) when their posts in this thread show otherwise.

Anyone with a brain would realize that when I say that those two aren't objective, that I mean they are influenced by a bias, since I said as much in my previous posts. Don't know where you got this whole "not making final conclusions or judgments" schtick.

And I can't believe you're actually arguing the definition of the word "objective" and my use of it :lol

You know you have no credible argument when...

Yes, everyone who disagrees with you, especially if it is not even about these racing games, is a forza boogie man. It's ok friend, just put this nice white jacket on. The walls are padded, you'll be just fine here.

Interfectum said:

Take your pick.

I'll pick the one of those that has any effect on my enjoyment of the finished product. Oh wait, that's none of them.

You people who base your gaming decisions on what a dev said, or what kind of car they drive, or how cool or not cool their community manager is aren't actual gamers, you're corporate cheerleaders.

I'll play GT5 if its community manager starts clubbing baby seals, because none of that shit makes the game any better or worse. And online polls, forum trolls, and any of the other petty ass bullshit that you people are crying about makes any difference to the way the game plays.

Stop lying about being a racing fan and admit what you are at least: corporate schills.

Recoil

bishoptl said:

Damn, bish. Ikonos was one of the most level-headed people in this thread. D:

That means... oh no...

FFFFFUUUUUUUU-

Shitstorm's a comin'.

edit: In all seriousness, I'm not quite understanding that ban. Some rule about NPD discussion or ad hominem or something? Can anyone explain?

FrostuTheNinja said:

Great thread!

Both > one.

Interfectum said:

Take your pick.
You sound like a battered wife. It's ok Nancy, Che isn't going to hurt you anymore. Momma GT5 has got you.

Why do you even play games? Like to have fun right? right? So why the fuck does it matter if Che is a liar. Who cares? Just play games you like that's all that matters.

AndyD

aka andydumi
elrechazao said:
I'll pick the one of those that has any effect on my enjoyment of the finished product. Oh wait, that's none of them.

You people who base your gaming decisions on what a dev said, or what kind of car they drive, or how cool or not cool their community manager is aren't actual gamers, you're corporate cheerleaders.
I'll play GT5 if its community manager starts clubbing baby seals, because none of that shit makes the game any better or worse. And online polls, forum trolls, and any of the other petty ass bullshit that you people are crying about makes any difference to the way the game plays.

Stop lying about being a racing fan and admit what you are at least: corporate schills.

Corporate shills are the other way, when they accept anything a corporation does as OK. Defending it and excusing it and promoting it with 100% fervor and trust no matter what.

Disagreeing with a corporate policy or its governance and thus not supporting it by not buying the products is not a bad thing in my opinion. Plenty of people boycott various products based on the real or perceived wrongdoings of the corporate entity behind the product.

Lots of people support "green" things, or "no child labor," or "not tested on animals" or dozens of other categories and claims for alternative products because they disagree with the practices of some corporation or another.

After all, everyone says vote with your wallet. And picking one product over the other based on its virtues along with your opinion of the company producing it is exactly that, expresing your views and opinions with your wallet through your buying habits.

So people can be racing fans, and still disagree with the developer methods in this case and pick an alternative product. It does not make them corporate shills, in fact, quite the opposite, it shows they pay attention to more than just the product, but to the company behind it as well.

GT5 and PD have their work cut out for them. Besting Forza3 will be very, very difficult. I fully except GT5 to merely be a sidegrade to Forza3.

Wtf? How so? All the pros you listed in your impressions, GT5 will have em' surpass em' or equal them if anything.

It's not something that "OMFG, it's so hard, PD can't do it"

Unless, you plan on pointing out how besting Forza 3 will be very very difficult, I suggest, you don't just come in here and say things like that.

Damn, bish. Ikonos was one of the most level-headed people in this thread. D:

Jesus, he sure got you people fooled. He is a level-headed poster? No, no way in hell.

I would choose Forza just based on the greater authenticity of vehicle collisions and physics and the 60fps gameplay.

Playing both demos, it's clear that these are definitive advantages that Forza has over GT. If PD can fix these issues by launch, that would be great!

Vehicle collisions, you haven't played GT5, so you don't really know anything about GT5 authenticity when it comes to damage. Physisc? Wtf, again, I played GT5:p and FM3 and the physics in FM3 are not better than GT5:p. How can you say that? Please, I'll be glad to hear your reasoning.

And then you go and say that Forza has these definitive advantages over GT5 such as? Most of of the features that FM3 has, GT5 will have it by the time it releases except for custom livery.

but I highly doubt GT will be able to match the gameplay realism

Lmao. That's retarded. You highly doubt it? It won't but neither does Forza 3, but I'm sure you didn't think about that one. My god, :lol :lol :lol You actually called FM3 a REALISTIC sim. Holy shit! :lol :lol

AndyD said:
Corporate shills are the other way, when they accept anything a corporation does as OK. Defending it and excusing it and promoting it with 100% fervor and trust no matter what.

Disagreeing with a corporate policy or its governance and thus not supporting it by not buying the products is not a bad thing in my opinion. Plenty of people boycott various products based on the real or perceived wrongdoings of the corporate entity behind the product.

Lots of people support "green" things, or "no child labor," or "not tested on animals" or dozens of other categories and claims for alternative products because they disagree with the practices of some corporation or another.

After all, everyone says vote with your wallet. And picking one product over the other based on its virtues along with your opinion of the company producing it is exactly that, expresing your views and opinions with your wallet through your buying habits.

So people can be racing fans, and still disagree with the developer methods in this case and pick an alternative product. It does not make them corporate shills, in fact, quite the opposite, it shows they pay attention to more than just the product, but to the company behind it as well.

If we were talking about funding the nazi regime, exploiting 4 year olds in coal mines, or some other issue of debateable import, you might have a point. But "dev 1 said his game is the best in his genre" hardly rises to that level, so no, they have no point.

FortunateSon said:
Wtf? How so? All the pros you listed in your impressions, GT5 will have em' surpass em' or equal them if anything.

It's not something that "OMFG, it's so hard, PD can't do it"

Unless, you plan on pointing out how besting Forza 3 will be very very difficult, I suggest, you don't just come in here and say things like that.

That's the weirdest post I've seen in a long time.

"I disagree with you, so don't come here and say things that I disagree with."

belvedere

Junior Butler
elrechazao said:
If we were talking about funding the nazi regime, exploiting 4 year olds in coal mines, or some other issue of debateable import, you might have a point. But "dev 1 said his game is the best in his genre" hardly rises to that level, so no, they have no point.

Surely you're not denying that the (at the very least) unprofessional things spewed by the Forza staff at e3 don't reflect poorly on the studio in any way? Also, as it's been brought up numerous times before, the people at PD are anal retentive, obsessed, passionate, driven, (no pun intended) car fanatics. This has been proven in their tiresome and loooooong development periods. This in no way takes from T10, but the authenticity and seriousness of the development efforts are never questioned. Nor is their professionalism.

Top Bottom