• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Interfectum

Naughtboy said:
Thank you for bringing in some honesty into this thread, i know GT5 looks better than Forza 3 does, but people are making it seems as if both games are generations apart. Forza 3 looks amazing, its just that GT5 looks more real.

Finally some truth, these screens are excellent comparisons. The gap between both games isn't as big as some of you out there think it is. (Well in terms of graphics)

enzo_gt said:
I agree with this. Finally something without blind fanboys bitching over which game is better with pictures that aren't remotely similar. GT5 looks slightly better all things considered to me. But gameplay comes down to preference really. And damage, once they finally show that in GT5.

That's not GT5 that's GT5P :lol

Yoritomo

The main difference that I see is that reflections/lighting within GT5 have more of an impact on the color of the vehicle. This is why people say Forza looks "cartoony". It doesn't alter the color of the vehicle enough when playing the reflections across the surface of the car.

It's also why certain colors in Forza look really really good. (white, black, darker colors) and pure reds and blues give off a "plastic" look.

So, for example the overhead shots from GT5 give the cars a move towards blue where the sky is reflected. Forza doesn't have the same effect even though the reflections seem to be real time, high fidelity, and 60 fps.

All that being said, I'm a big fan of both and have a fanatec wheel on order so I can use it to play both.

Keikoku

Banned
Environnments looks better in Forza. It's odd because I always thought that GT (particulary 4) had the best tracks selections last gen. But now I prefer tracks visuals in Forza 3.

I just played GTHD for a bit, the handling in that game is so much different than the handling in Prologue, I cant believe the idiots claiming there is no "substantial gameplay difference" between GT5:p and earlier GT games.:lol
What bullshit, what FUD, it's so obvious that Prologue's Sim mode has completely different (and more accurate) driving physics, right off the bat I noticed that the cars in GTHD lack proper weight distribution.
What's more, GTHD vehicles, including the ones in the menu screen, look worse than the one's in Prologue, I don't know if it's lighting or shaders or a combination of both, but Prologue's cars look moderately better.

Interfectum

Naughtboy said:
...ok....because GT5:p is going to change radically from GT:5........

Yep PD have been sitting around for 2 years doing absolutely nothing whilst (Forza fanatics would have us believe) Turn 10 have managed to create a generational difference between Forza 2 and 3 in that same time :lol

Naughtboy

Banned
Interfectum said:
Yep PD have been sitting around for 2 years doing absolutely nothing whilst (Forza fanatics would have us believe) Turn 10 have managed to create a generational difference between Forza 2 and 3 in that same time :lol

Calm down, i know the game will look better, thats what happens when you work on a game for 5+years, however don't expect the difference to be night and day. Their engine has already been created etc etc, fining tuning the lighting, shadows etc etc will of course be done to make it look better.

I don't think the difference between Forza 3 and GT is night/day. Again, GT:p/5 does and will continue to look better than Forza in many departments, but lets not talk out of our asses.

Naughtboy said:
Calm down, i know the game will look better, thats what happens when you work on a game for 5+years, however don't expect the difference to be night and day. Their engine has already been created etc etc, fining tuning the lighting, shadows etc etc will of course be done to make it look better.

I don't think the difference between Forza 3 and GT is night/day. Again, GT:p/5 does and will continue to look better than Forza in many departments, but lets not talk out of our asses.
It's not even just looks, it's features. Cars, damage, weather, tracks... need to see Kaz's powerpoint?

lunlunqq

Naughtboy said:

you are the one who needs to calm down. we're not even talking about the difference between Forza 3 and GT here. You're sure your assumption of there being little difference between GT5p and GT5 is not pulled out of ass?

Naughtboy

Banned
bishoptl said:
prologue came out 2 years ago

I'm referring to the entire process or package of GT:5. Prologue is just a sample of GT:5, so i'm talking about the game even prior to Prologue.

But you all say what you want, the best phrase i can use here is: "It is what it is." I personally think both games look amazing its a treat that each console can have a good sim

Interfectum

Naughtboy said:
I'm referring to the entire process or package of GT:5.

You're looking at about 12 years and 50m copies then since the first GT.

Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Gran Turismo Concept: 2001 Tokyo
Gran Turismo Concept: 2002 Tokyo-Seoul
Gran Turismo Concept: 2002 Tokyo-Geneva
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
Gran Turismo 4
Gran Turismo 4 Online (test version)
Gran Turismo HD
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Every iteration has been a step towards GT5.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
theignoramus said:
What's more, GTHD vehicles, including the ones in the menu screen, look worse than the one's in Prologue, I don't know if it's lighting or shaders or a combination of both, but Prologue's cars look moderately better.

It's mostly because HD is GT4 + HD textures/models.

I said it in the GT:pSP thread and I'll say it here. I think PD's problem is spreading themselves too thin in releasing different versions of the same shit instead of focusing on one thing and releasing it. It's why Forza has had two games done while GT has released HD/Prologue/PSP (After four damn years), and soon 5. If they focused on GT:pSP or 5 only I think they would've came out a year or two ago. (Sure, they may not have ZOMG GRAPHICS like they do now, but still).

Also GT:pSP is a disappointment after the long wait. Mostly because of the stupid dealer mechanic.

Askia47

TheSeks said:

I said it in the GT:pSP thread and I'll say it here. I think PD's problem is spreading themselves too thin in releasing different versions of the same shit instead of focusing on one thing and releasing it. It's why Forza has had two games done while GT has released HD/Prologue/PSP (After four damn years), and soon 5. If they focused on GT:pSP or 5 only I think they would've came out a year or two ago. (Sure, they may not have ZOMG GRAPHICS like they do now, but still).

Also GT:pSP is a disappointment after the long wait. Mostly because of the stupid dealer mechanic.

i don't think GTHD was really close to GT4 at at all graphically. GTHD was very close to GT5:p.

TheSeks said:

So you're afraid all GT5 will have is pretty graphics and jazz music? It would not take PD five years just to make a prettier version of GT4.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TheSeks said:

You do realize that GT:pSP is on another system right? Nothing wrong with making games for different systems.

Goldrusher

TheSeks said:
Not 100% true.

The cancelled GTHD game would have so called "Classic" content, as well as "Premium" content.

Classic = GT4 quality tracks & cars, ported over.
Premium = GT5 quality.

GTHD was going to include 1 premium track and 30 premium cars. Everything else - new tracks (3 premium, 51 classic) and cars (30 premium, 770 classic) - was going to be paid DLC.

What Polyphony released, on Christmas eve, as "GTHD Concept" included only GT5 quality content.

eso76

So, was it ever clarified how will races with damageable and non-damageable cars work ?

I believe cars which show no visual damage will still get performance loss ?

-viper-

Banned
eso76 said:
So, was it ever clarified how will races with damageable and non-damageable cars work ?

I believe cars which show no visual damage will still get performance loss ?
I thought it was confirmed that all cars in GT5 will feature damage including deformation. Only that it would be more serious (visually) on the race cars.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-viper- said:
I thought it was confirmed that all cars in GT5 will feature damage including deformation. Only that it would be more serious (visually) on the race cars.

Serious deformation and falling parts only on race cars. But mechanical damage affecting performance on all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
To touch oin the visuals after seeing the comparison - GT5P looks really good. The lighting is what definitely separates both games but you have to be kidding yourself if you don't think GT5 looks better even regardless of lighting. As some have said though, Forza has made big steps forward in terms of some of their tech.

Doc Evils

let me show you what I mean:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taxigamerdotcom/3953594113/in/set-72157622453455960/

blurry blob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taxigamerdotcom/3954374728/in/set-72157622453455960/

detailed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taxigamerdotcom/3954377768/in/set-72157622453455960/

blurry blob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taxigamerdotcom/3954377504/in/set-72157622453455960/

detailed <---pay attention to the cars curve in the shadow

Look this this pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taxigamerdotcom/3954374502/in/set-72157622453455960/

The tree shadow suggests lighting is coming from the right side, but car is not projecting any shadows to the left.

The car in front is supposed to be blocked from the right light wise, yet the shadows suggests the light is coming from the front and not the left.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taxigamerdotcom/3954374728/in/set-72157622453455960/

In the track in GT5P before you enter the tunnel, light is coming from your right hand side since the hill is blocking your left, which is accurately present in this image.

In fact looking at all those pics, GT portrays all lighting correctly.

skyfinch

snapshot20090820141351.jpg

When the game's shadows look like this at the moment, I don't think you should be concerned about them being hard or soft.

Ploid 3.0

skyfinch said:
http://a.imagehost.org/0714/snapshot20090820141351.jpg

When the game's shadows look like this at the moment, I don't think you should be concerned about them being hard or soft.[/QUOTE]

You barely notice the detail in the tree shadows as the car pass under them. You can tell that spots of light are passing through the trees but it's past the car so fast that the illusion works. PD know what they're doing, I guess it's a low priority and saves processing for more important things. That's something PD seem to be good at, putting focus on things that matter. And who knows, maybe it'll be different later.

-viper-

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
You barely notice the detail in the tree shadows as the car pass under them. You can tell that spots of light are passing through the trees but it's past the car so fast that the illusion works. PD know what they're doing, I guess it's a low priority and saves processing for more important things. That's something PD seem to be good at, putting focus on things that matter. And who knows, maybe it'll be different later.
I dunno, I think the pixelated shadows are pretty noticable during replay mode.

I hope they fix that for the final game. They've got 6 months of extra dev time, so it should be fixed I think.

Ploid 3.0

Is that the only place this pixel light ray occurs? I looked around for more samples, is there a track in prologue with it?

It has to be something they're working on (w.i.p.) reflections look good in the game and shadows falling on the car does too -that one tree spot. It's not a problem.

Shoot wish I was as good as SSX or the comparison person. I can't find examples of shadows falling on the cars. It seem to only show the pixels for the tree section in the GT5 demo though. All of GT5:p shadows look normal.

1183o1i.jpg

jaypah

thread got boring once it became all GT all the time. GT fanboys clearly won this one hands down. constant trolling, beautiful pictures and laughing smileys as far as the eye can see. good job fellas, good job.

Dina

jaypah said:
thread got boring once it became all GT all the time. GT fanboys clearly won this one hands down. constant trolling, beautiful pictures and laughing smileys as far as the eye can see. good job fellas, good job.

Forza fans are playing the demo, buying steeringwheels, making wheelstands and even some gaffers are playing early forza copies.

jaypah

Dina said:
Forza fans are playing the demo, buying steeringwheels, making wheelstands and even some gaffers are playing early forza copies.

that demo is pretty sweet. plus i need something to wash the Shift out of my mouth. that game had some wonky ass game breaking physics. still pretty fun though.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, we're all waiting to see Jub3 and m0dus' liveries.

my brain isn't wired for art enough to even begin to understand how they do it. just awesome.

Firewire said:
I see over at Eurogamer that Turn 10 have been running their mouths off again. :lol

I searched their front page for like three minutes and then realized that if I to search that hard and if there isn't even an actual link worth providing, it must have been very hot news indeed.

;D

Top Bottom