• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Montresor

One thing I like about open world games is busy work and check lists. I.E. Find all these collectibles. Complete all these side quests. Etc... Like how Watch Dogs had all those different hacking puzzles, and like how Saints Row has all those assassination contracts, etc... Does Forza Horizon 2 have anything like that? I really loved the presentation, graphics, sound, music, and the car handling in the demo. But it felt like I was just moving around in the open world aimlessly looking for races. And I'm not that big of a racing fan (that's why I didn't get Forza 5), but I am interested big time in anything that calls itself "open world". I will give the demo another try when I get home from work tomorrow.

Hmmm...seems like Burnout but with much better graphics...

I haven't sunken in a whole lot of time in racer since the Burnout series...

Looks interesting, but dunno about replay value. When Burnout went open world instead of the mission based structure of the first initial titles, I got really overwhelmed and bored with it. I like to have structure and beat the best times/challenges etc...

Still looks like a very solid title from the demo vids I've watched.

VanWinkle

I really love how the open world is set up. I think it's the future of open world racing games.

I'm going to have to spend a good amount of time on this demo and a good amount of time on the PS+ version of the other racing game and try to decide which one to get! Going to be tough I think.

Fantastic game, exactly what I was hoping for. Definitely gonna get the Deluxe version so I can get the Tesla S 2014, trying to decide whether I should get Ultimate or not.

Is the Season Pass worth it for Forza games, how much have they been standalone in the past?

Evo X

Is the Season Pass worth it for Forza games, how much have they been standalone in the past?

The Season Pass is $20 if you go with the Ultimate Edition. They have 31 cars planned for the next 6 months. So that's about 65 cents per car.

Forza car packs usually have some pretty cool stuff in them, so go for it if you think you will still be playing the game 6 months from now. You don't get any bonus for pre-ordering the season pass other than the $5 discount, so you could always wait until the car packs are released to see if anything interests you.

Anion

One thing I like about open world games is busy work and check lists. I.E. Find all these collectibles. Complete all these side quests. Etc... Like how Watch Dogs had all those different hacking puzzles, and like how Saints Row has all those assassination contracts, etc... Does Forza Horizon 2 have anything like that? I really loved the presentation, graphics, sound, music, and the car handling in the demo. But it felt like I was just moving around in the open world aimlessly looking for races. And I'm not that big of a racing fan (that's why I didn't get Forza 5), but I am interested big time in anything that calls itself "open world". I will give the demo another try when I get home from work tomorrow.
You have a few barn find cars you have to find and probably a few hundred billboard/advertisements to smash if it's anything like FH1

The barn finds are what I like a lot though.

Haha wow

DocSeuss

I LOVE THIS GAME. WHY ARE GOTYS ALWAYS STUPID THIRD-PERSON ACTION TITLES? FORZA HORIZON SO GOOD MIGHT EVEN DESERVE GOTY

There is nothing--nothing that even manages to capture how how incredible the thrill of off-roading is in this game. Is it weird, though, that I want to compare it to Amped rather than PGR, though?

Now I know why that Driveclub guy sounded so hot and bothered over cars. I almost want to go buy a lottery ticket in the hopes I'll win so I can preorder every version of this game and get all the cars.

Minor complaints in spoilers to follow.

XP should be called rep.

Sticks are a tiny bit loose.

Forza Horizon's map design had other players constantly merging with the player as they all raced towards the festival. It gave a sense that this was a real thing that was really happening.

Alice Hart was cooler than Ben. He's stroking my ego. She was encouraging where all the other characters weren't.

The game's UI seemed buttoned down in contrast to the wilder, more festival-like Horizon UI and artwork. I kinda miss that.

Will Ali Howard or any other smack-talking racer show up? I hope so, but worry the drivatar system means I'll only ever see user names. It kinda ruins the immersion for me. I'd rather pretend I'm there.

You have a few barn find cars you have to find and probably a few hundred billboard/advertisements to smash if it's anything like FH1

Don't forget that FH2 is also adding stuff like those 'events' with the Agera.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

While i don't think you'll find much if anything hidden in the demo, they will have stuff hidden in the final game.

In the original game, you'd get a "tip" on the radio that something is hidden in an area and the game will highlight the area in a big circle and you have to drive around to find it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Spent another couple of hours in the demo, had a lot of fun just driving around, can't wait to have the full map to explore.

It took a little while but I got better at driving through fields while in cockpit view. Having said that I tried a couple of races with the hood cam and I think I might actually prefer that for this game even though I never use that view with racers. The sense of speed is awesome with that camera.

Same question here, what are the VIP benefits?

Biggest benefit is double XP and credit. I know that I occasionally get free cars for Forza 5 still, and we even got the most expensive Lotus for free during all of the hoopla about the economy in the game.

No matter what, definitely sign up for Forza Rewards if you plan on picking up the game, because they give you extra credits for playing the game.

Multiple speed traps to race through, various XP and fast travel billboards that you get rewards for knocking over, there's something called bucket list challenges, where for example in this demo there's a super fast Koenigsegg parked and waiting for you to complete some speed challenge. There's all kinds of stuff to do. You even have stuff like rivals challenges, where you get matched up against another xbox one owner's drivatar in a one on the same track that you just got done completing a race on. You're free to take on the rival in a race, or you can just decline it.

Similar to games like Watch Dogs, there's any number of these things laying about the environment waiting for the player to interact with at their leisure. So even when you aren't racing, there's definitely a range of collectible type activities for people such as yourself. I was actually running around a bit just now doing a couple for fun. I would do even more of them if not for the fact that I know due to being in the demo I'm going to end up running into zones that I can't progress past.

The main menu music and presentation is pretty great. Loving the whole festival vibe.

Yep, they totally nailed the vision they were going for. Don't even get me started on that absolutely awesome intro. :)

Spent another couple of hours in the demo, had a lot of fun just driving around, can't wait to have the full map to explore.

It took a little while but I got better at driving through fields while in cockpit view. Having said that I tried a couple of races with the hood cam and I think I might actually prefer that for this game even though I never use that view with racers. The sense of speed is awesome with that camera.

The key in or out of cockpit view I realized is to just take your time and not be afraid to slow down sometimes, because the time you take to make sure your car isn't going out of control can be the difference between catching up with and passing a number of cars, to getting left in the dust. I've gotten a whole lot better at this.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, it's just a "buy when €15" for me at the moment but who knows, that could change if DC will fail to impress me.

I think the IQ is fantastic for a console game and it really adds to the visual experience as does the day-night cycle (haven't experienced the meteo change yet), too bad about the low quality trees (the angular cardboard pines are especially awful) but all in all the game looks really good.

Point is that the handling model feels like crap to me, full-assist, mid-assist or straight up no assists: at the end driving the car still feel like skating on ice. Forza 5's demo (free we) had such a straight up fun handling model, it was sooo satisfying playing with a controller even tho I'm used to play with wheels (G27 atm) and usually won't settle for anything less, I loved the arcadey-meets-sim model T10 adopted for F5.
I love everything racing, from F-Zero to MK8 to Burnout to Forza to GT to RFactor/iRacing but this game failed to impress me where it counts the most.
Of course, it's not my final impressions yet since, you know, this was just a demo with a handful of cars.

One last positive note: I think FH2 is the best implementation of 30fps (ugh) + motion blur in a racing game (or any game really) yet, kinda mindblowing. I hope DC will look as good.
Of course I'll always bitch at those missing 30 frames, but man this one kinda surprised me.

cool_dude

Banned
The animated gif in the OT first post needs to be swapped out! It's rather ugly compared to the new ones. Other posters in other threads are using it as an example of what the game looks like.

Montresor

While i don't think you'll find much if anything hidden in the demo, they will have stuff hidden in the final game.

In the original game, you'd get a "tip" on the radio that something is hidden in an area and the game will highlight the area in a big circle and you have to drive around to find it.

Multiple speed traps to race through, various XP and fast travel billboards that you get rewards for knocking over, there's something called bucket list challenges, where for example in this demo there's a super fast Koenigsegg parked and waiting for you to complete some speed challenge. There's all kinds of stuff to do. You even have stuff like rivals challenges, where you get matched up against another xbox one owner's drivatar in a one on the same track that you just got done completing a race on. You're free to take on the rival in a race, or you can just decline it.

Similar to games like Watch Dogs, there's any number of these things laying about the environment waiting for the player to interact with at their leisure. So even when you aren't racing, there's definitely a range of collectible type activities for people such as yourself. I was actually running around a bit just now doing a couple for fun. I would do even more of them if not for the fact that I know due to being in the demo I'm going to end up running into zones that I can't progress past.

Alright this sounds really really good.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
More expansive than Horizon One, but take a look at the blacked out map area. It's not that big and from the videos I've seen doesn't feel varied. I think some people may have
franchise fanaticism for this game and are going to overlook the small map because it's Forza.. Remember, the lack of tracks in Forza is a chronic thing. There was also a hill I wanted to drive up and there was a wall preventing me from going further up to explore. I thought we could drive off road? I know, this is the demo but I'll wait and see what the full game is like before declaring this game "best racer ever OMFG".

Other than this, it's a good game. Hype is a very dangerous forum trick, folks.

its bigger then horizon 1, more open, and already feels at least as varied. location boredom wasnt an issue in the first, i doubt it will be here.

The demo is awesome. I was planning on getting the game when it was around $30 because I'm not the biggest racing fan, but I may have to buy it day 1 now because I need something to play until Sunset Overdrive, besides playing FIFA and I'm pretty much done with Destiny.

Why does this one seem so much smoother than the last game? I remember trying the demo of horizon 1 and hating the framerate. Is it the higher resolution that makes a difference?

panty

This game is the only reason to get an Xbox for me. And that's actually why I bought it, liked the demo, really solid. Image quality was great.

Cant wait to play Driveclub as well, it's going to blow me away graphically.

Well, it's just a "buy when €15" for me at the moment but who knows, that could change if DC will fail to impress me.

I think the IQ is fantastic for a console game and it really adds to the visual experience as does the day-night cycle (haven't experienced the meteo change yet), too bad about the low quality trees (the angular cardboard pines are especially awful) but all in all the game looks really good.

Point is that the handling model feels like crap to me, full-assist, mid-assist or straight up no assists: at the end driving the car still feel like skating on ice. Forza 5's demo (free we) had such a straight up fun handling model, it was sooo satisfying playing with a controller even tho I'm used to play with wheels (G27 atm) and usually won't settle for anything less, I loved the arcadey-meets-sim model T10 adopted for F5.
I love everything racing, from F-Zero to MK8 to Burnout to Forza to GT to RFactor/iRacing but this game failed to impress me where it counts the most.
Of course, it's not my final impressions yet since, you know, this was just a demo with a handful of cars.

One last positive note: I think FH2 is the best implementation of 30fps (ugh) + motion blur in a racing game (or any game really) yet, kinda mindblowing. I hope DC will look as good.
Of course I'll always bitch at those missing 30 frames, but man this one kinda surprised me.

Gotta disagree greatly on the handling model. It's one of the best I've experienced in a racer. You get punished for being too out of control, but you get rewarded for keeping the car under control in the right situations. If you overdo it either on the road or off-road, you will pay accordingly. It's definitely something that you constantly have to keep in mind between the road and other surfaces, and it really adds to the fun.

And maybe I'm wrong on this, but it feels pretty damn close to the Forza 5 model. I don't own Forza 5, but I have had time playing the game before I got my own Xbox One. This game doesn't have your typical arcade controls; that much is certain. It feels like they managed to get the motorsport model down pretty well in an openworld title.

The demo is gorgeous and really fun to play. It's reminding me of when I played PGR3 on my 360 when I first got it. The demo sold me on this game. It won't be a day one purchase, but I will buy Forza horizon 2 at some point because this demo impressed me so much.

]
iOv7z7rqJaeaq.PNG

Look past those trees. There is no detail there.

adelante

Just started the demo. Holy FUCK at that intro...the music...the sounds...the graphics...pure ecstasy.

That count-to-ten intro? That's probably the best trailer/intro to racing game I've ever seen. Nicely edited and reflects the game's personality/presentation extremely well.

bedlamite

For those who aren't feeling the controls, have you tried turning off the driving assists yet? Like, ALL of them. In FH1 there was a marked difference in car handling once you turned off all assists and I assume it's the same for 2.

splattered

The discount is for people who have Forza 5 VIP

I bought the Forza 5 Limited Edition and installed and played for a bit around launch... including the VIP membership.

Deleted the game some time ago but don't think I specified to remove VIP data from my system?

However when I checked out the VIP membership in the store this morning it was the full $20... I went ahead and bought it but I kinda feel ripped off a little.

:/

That count-to-ten intro? That's probably the best trailer/intro to racing game I've ever seen. Nicely edited and reflects the game's personality/presentation extremely well.

yep i loved it and didnt want to skip it.

BTW - anyone having problems playing their clips on smart glass? I just get this message "sorry, your video cant be played right now" - that's it. Anyone have a clue on how to fix this?

Top Bottom