• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 Demo |OT| "Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Oh, god. That intro is baddddd. I mean, sure, it's inoffensive and it looks nice, but it's pure lame, tropey cheese. I will never jive with the whole 'music fest/racing' mash-up, even if I do enjoy arcade racers with some great tunes.

saladine1

Did you have traction control and stability control on?
It's pretty arcadey with those on imo.

Just keep moving the dpad to either left or right and it will turn the radio off.

When shifting through radio stations while driving with left/right on d-pad one of the options is off :)

Press either left or right on the dpad and hold it for like a second. That turns the radio off.

Thank God for the internet!
Thanks fellas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As you can only drive one of the three starting vehicles or the lambo/bucket list car - does that mean all the other card you encounter in free roam are Drivatars? Are there any real people in there with you?

Having recently played PGR4, the handling isn't anything like that in PGR4. It's much closer to mainline (or sim) handling than anything. PGR and horizon 1 struck the perfect balance. Horizon 2 goes too far in the sim direction.

Too far is not how I would put it, as it would be a positive change, in my opinion, but I can see how it could put some people off. I remain unconvinced that there have been any big changes to the balance compared to the first Horizon (which I've been playing extensively over the past several weeks), however. My girlfriend, who is as casual a player as can be, but also a huge Horizon fan, had some difficulty with the Huracán and the RS3 at first, but that's probably because I tried turning off more assists for her initially. Having turned more assists on, she managed to win all the races, whilst having plenty of fun.

jesu

As you can only drive one of the three starting vehicles or the lambo/bucket list car - does that mean all the other card you encounter in free roam are Drivatars? Are there any real people in there with you?

You can press pause to see a list of who is real in the free roam world.

Squoig

Banned
Those rain effects! Absolutely staggering.

I won my first six online races all in a row and only lost the seventh when I stacked it into a bale of hay near the end.

That ultimate edition is looking more appealing now.

stupid question - how does one switch to photo mode in the demo ? i can see a control mapped to it (up on the d-pad, iirc) but i havent been able to use it. Is it disabled ?

On a side note - have you guys held down on the d-pad and looked at all the telemetry ? the g-force indicator is awesome. mind you i have no clue about a lot of the stuff there, its just neat to see presented as an overlay in realtime.

jem0208

No way is the handling too close to sim. I'd anything I'd say it's too arcadey, I'm sliding around so many corners and coming out fine. With all the assists off.

I'm even handbrake turning fine.

It's very fun though.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm finding the handling very arcady.
Car is sliding and skidding all over the place which was a bit off putting for me at first as I've been playing quite a bit of Forza 5 recently and found it difficult to adjust.
Need to spend more time with it to get used to the handling.

Are you using arcade or simulation steering?
I left it alone didnt touch it. Last forza horizon I didnt like it cause ir was arcadey. I thought it was supposed to be a sim racer open world and I turned the game down after a month. I made a promise to myself to just leave this one alone in settings. I turn everything offand set steering to simulation in Mainline forza titles, in Horizon i like it for what it is and I seem to be having so much more fun. I really didnt like how I turned everything off in Horizon 1 and it still felt arcadey.

saladine1

The handling is perfect for a game like this. Don't forget, the intention was always to have a the 'feel' of FM in an open world. They've done a great job with this.

I hate demo's like this because you always want more. Gonna have a ball with the full game.

Again, the Turn 10/ PG audio team has done a great job with the sounds!

Doffen

Oh, god. That intro is baddddd. I mean, sure, it's inoffensive and it looks nice, but it's pure lame, tropey cheese. I will never jive with the whole 'music fest/racing' mash-up, even if I do enjoy arcade racers with some great tunes.

tyoMZY7.gif

Brakara

Count me in as someone who thinks the handling is pretty much perfect for this kind of game, just like the first one was. It's definitely better than any other open world racer.

madp0k

Really enjoyed the demo, looks like there will be a load of content, might well buy it later on down the road
pun very much intended :)

RawNuts

No way is the handling too close to sim. I'd anything I'd say it's too arcadey, I'm sliding around so many corners and coming out fine. With all the assists off.

I'm even handbrake turning fine.

It's very fun though.
Agree.

I feel like the handling is further from Forza 5 than the first Forza Horizon was from Forza 4. I can definitely still feel Forza 5 aspects in the suspension, weight transfer under heavy acceleration and braking, and just how heavy the cars feel overall. However, I'm not having any of the difficulty I would with Forza 5; I never seem to fishtail, can disregard the braking line pretty often, and can start flamboyant turns with heavy handbrake use, something that would almost be an instant death sentence if you got too sideways in Motorsport. I'm also driving without any assists.

Forza Horizon 2 is certainly allowing for a lot more hero driving than the previous Horizon, though I have absolutely no quarrels with that as it leads to extremely fun and harrowing moments while still feeling grounded. I really enjoy what they've done with it.
While not the same as PGR, the handling characteristics still deliver on the same core aspect that I love about PGR, meaning that it allows you to straddle the fine line between what you would like the car to do in your wild fantasies and what the car should realistically do. Although some of this controlability can probably be attributed to every car in the demo being AWD with the exception of the Agera.

I also like the changes to the online collision. In every other Forza game, it has been really easy to accidentally tap someone slightly on the rear and send them spinning off the track; not so much anymore. It may not be accurate, but it's more fair in a game world.

p3tran

Banned
How do I take screenshots on Xbox One?

I really like the rain effect on glass.
the full game will have an elaborate photo mode, just like all forza games do.

Regardless, the demo doesn't seem to allow suspend/resume when booting the console back up from sleep, so I doubt I'll put much more time into it. Seriously looking forward to the full, unlimited game in two weeks.
suspend/resume worked for me. last night I just pressed pause when starting a race and turned the machine off.
this morning "xbox on!" and game was right where I left it.

Having recently played PGR4, the handling isn't anything like that in PGR4. It's much closer to mainline (or sim) handling than anything. PGR and horizon 1 struck the perfect balance. Horizon 2 goes too far in the sim direction.

Something a friend of mine who played it at GC said at the time. Worth nothing he thought that DC was pretty much PGR handling but slightly heavier.
you cant call horizon2;s handling "sim". its just governed by correct physics (which is why people seem to like how it plays). but on top of that, there is serious computer help for the driver.

but then again,
if someone feels that the default aid settings are not ..aiding him enough,
you can always bring up SETTINGS/DIFFICULTY:

BRAKING: ASSISTED
STEERING: ASSISTED
on top of stability control and traction control.

by doing this, the game basically babysits you monitoring (and regulating) how much you turn, how much gas you press and how much -and when- to brake.
you can always bring up the menu and change the aids as you get more familiar with the game/handling.

bottom line is that the endgame this racing game offers is much deeper than other games not so ...rich in handling dynamics.
and that can only be good.

The handling is perfect for a game like this. Don't forget, the intention was always to have a the 'feel' of FM in an open world. They've done a great job with this.
agreed

I think there are good times to be had on horizon GAF club....

and last but not least, lol at this:
Yeah yeah whatever... No Bom Bom, no buy

tumblr_inline_mpme5eEIHX1qz4rgp.gif

If you show me a video of you with the game I'll vine a video of me doing what's in your gif shouting bom bom bom bom. I dare ya! ;)

Man! I didn't see your spoiler before I posted...

Helios, better get pumping my friend! :D

CanaryRob

I loved the introduction, possibly one of the best I've experienced for a long time. Don't know what it was what did it for me, normally I'd find the whole slow talking over an emotive video corny.

After playing it it's day 1 for me, there been any indication on how big the map is compared to 1?

jesu

guys!

settings/difficulty:

drivatar = Pro
braking = ABS off
steering = Simulation
traction control = Off
stability control = Off
shifting: do as you please
driving line = Off
damage & tire wear = On

I'm more like

drivatar = Average
braking = ABS On
steering = Normal
traction control = On
stability control = On
shifting: Automatic
driving line = Full
damage & tire wear = Cosmetic
rewind = Off

That's close enough to NFS for me!

Stig94

Neo Member
Finding the game so much more fun with simulation steering! Normally dont use it on Forza 5 as it isnt ideal if you're using a controller but in this it seems really usable

Possibly the worst time to have borrowed an Xbox One for a week, played the demo and now REALLY want to buy one just for this but was hoping to hold out a little bit longer.

p3tran

Banned
I'm more like

drivatar = Average
braking = ABS On
steering = Normal
traction control = On
stability control = On
shifting: Automatic
driving line = Full
damage & tire wear = Cosmetic
rewind = Off

That's close enough to NFS for me!

yes, of course, this is a more arcade setup.
and for people that may have some trouble even with these settings,
as I wrote above, you can always flip the "braking" and "steering" to the left side on the settings screen, and from "abs / normal" they both become "assisted", which helps even more.

I think inside GAFclub we will have racers that will go for the arcade-pure fun aspect of it, while others will maybe want to try their luck competing with damage on and no assists, driving or navigating.

I think the game can deliver to both of those categories, so, interesting times ahead :)

Fantastic demo. When the intro finished and I started playing my girlfriend asked 'are you playing that?' She thought I was watching TV.

I thought I wasn't going to buy this because of Destiny, but this is a far more impressive game. Amazing IQ, wonderful lighting, great controls and presentation.

Super impressed.

what view are you guys doing? im dont front of the car, no bonnet. I tried in the car but it looked too claustrophobic in there.

Cockpit for me although it took a little getting use to. I can't possibly use any other camera after seeing the gorgeousness of this game through that view.

saladine1

lol had to slip it in there.

Seriously though, watch Dan 'the beard' Greenawalt and Turn 10 announce that they are putting together another team to make a successor to RSC.

He did say, long ago, that he wanted to expand, grow..basically to take over the world with the Forza franchise. First there was Forza Motorsport, competitor to GT. Then we had Forza Horizon, spiritual successor to PGR. In the future, we will have Forza Rallisport too, the spiritual successor to Rallisport Challenge...

Helios, am i right?

Lucifon

Demo totally sold me on the game. Going to hop onto the HK store and purchase the Ultimate Edition tonight. Heard it comes out at roughly £52 which I can't say no to.

cockpit, I'm loving that view

I tried in-car view but when you start going off-road through bushes etc it's a huge hindrance - you really can't see where you're going!

lol had to slip it in there.

Seriously though, watch Dan 'the beard' Greenawalt and Turn 10 announce that they are putting together another team to make a successor to RSC.

He did say, long ago, that he wanted to expand, grow..basically to take over the world with the Forza franchise. First there was Forza Motorsport, competitor to GT. Then we had Forza Horizon, spiritual successor to PGR. In the future, we will have Forza Rallisport too, the spiritual successor to Rallisport Challenge...

Helios, am i right?

There was a 3 year cycle rumour too but I never found a source.

Daffy Duck

Just bought £65 worth of points from Tesco for £48.50 with code TDX-HWXT (10% off when you spend over £50 for new accounts) so I will be buying digital deluxe day one edition when they come.

Will be nice to have digital for this like Forza 5 as the instant switching is fantastic. Also getting VIP for £3.50 more than physical retail is a bonus.

Top Bottom