• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

squared

I wonder if I'm the minorty in that I could very well live without weather change, day/night racing, rallying or whatever, if I just got a deeper customizing/car building system..

frontieruk

everytime I see disk space being the limiting factor for night time racing I get a huge sense of loss I sold my Dreamcast and Metropolis Street Racer :(

saladine1

squared said:
I wonder if I'm the minorty in that I could very well live without weather change, day/night racing, rallying or whatever, if I just got a deeper customizing/car building system..
The fact of the matter is, bright sunshine happy go lucky spring time hold hands and sing kumbaya racing does get tiresome after a while. Adding some variation in the form of night ,weather,dirt or whatever can enhance the experience to no end. That and the fact that the casual market is a big thing in Turn 10's eyes so having shit like that can bring in those people and will also bring in the moola...

OrangeOak said:
but they have much bigger game with 4x more cars and 30+ environments(there were about 10 in PGR and only few had night)... Even if they can do it with two discs, what about people without hard drives?

The second disk of FM3 has less than 2GB of data, iirc. They have more than enough space to fill.

squared

saladine1 said:
The fact of the matter is, bright sunshine happy go lucky spring time hold hands and sing kumbaya racing does get tiresome after a while. Adding some variation in the form of night ,weather,dirt or whatever can enhance the experience to no end. That and the fact that the casual market is a big thing in Turn 10's eyes so having shit like that can bring in those people and will also bring in the moola...

I completely understand that, I was talking more about the real fans of the game, obviously most of them want more tracks, weather, day/night etc. While I've personally played all three previous games religiously, for hundreds of hours, I still feel that the car modifying aspect is too weak..

Also, another important thing - will the engine sound differ this time when you replace the exhaust? That was pretty shitty in FM3, no audible change to the actual engine sound, just a bit more popping and backfiring. The sound in FM2 was way better IMO. Carrera GT with the race exhaust in FM2.. That was sweet :D

JaggedSac

Good lord, how the hell can a journalist write what appears to be first hand experience with something said journalist never actually saw. This should be raising a stink. No accountability in gaming journalism.

saladine1

squared said:
I completely understand that, I was talking more about the real fans of the game, obviously most of them want more tracks, weather, day/night etc. While I've personally played all three previous games religiously, for hundreds of hours, I still feel that the car modifying aspect is too weak..

Also, another important thing - will the engine sound differ this time when you replace the exhaust? That was pretty shitty in FM3, no audible change to the actual engine sound, just a bit more popping and backfiring. The sound in FM2 was way better IMO. Carrera GT with the race exhaust in FM2.. That was sweet :D
I would love to see the upgrades/customization aspect enhanced for FM4. There's so much one can do to a car it's not funny. While Forza offers the most in terms of choice, there's still room for even more...

'Upgrade sound as you upgrade car', is one of the most requested features for FM4. I'm sure Turn 10 has heard our voices but will they finally go back to FM2's system..?...no one knows...

adelante

eso76 said:
this M5 model ? it certainly doesn't lack geometry.
if anything you can say it's the lighting in forza that's too harsh.
I don't get why people wanted even more contrast; yes, brighter reflections were needed, shadows on the other hand have always been too dark (often pitch black, actually).
Other game 5 went for a much softer look (in reality, in a bright day, open environment, you shouldn't get dark shadows anywhere, there will always be lots of fill light coming from every part of the sky).
To tell you the truth i am not really buying the IBL stuff completely. in fm4 there's still a strong light source and too little ambient light, which makes shadows on the cars a little too sharp. But i am not complaining, those bits with multiple cars on track from the b-roll video looked amazing, not to mention the full lod M5 replays on the nurburgring and hockenheim.
Yeah the M5 is definitely rich in polygon count but comparing the in-game model to photos of its real-life counterpart, the latter seems to have more refined contour lines that aren't as pronounced and seem softer than Forza's, whose curves and edges look razor sharp in comparison. But I'd be a damn liar too if I deny the love I have for the improvements that they've done. I would've preferred a softer lighting approach but the strong contrast look shown in the Hockenheim video reminded me of raw highdefinition camera footage so maybe that's the style they were going for. Either way the game really does look fuckin amazing in its current state

m5-1-1.jpg

m5-2-1.jpg

m5-3-1.jpg

eso76

Blimblim said:
Not really drifting, but some nice oversteering in the last video 720p 60 fps I've just uploaded:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gc_forza_4_gameplay_video-11681_en.html

Thanks, you guys are amazing.
smoke def. is more abundant and stays onscreen longer, although this is smoke from having damaged your engine there is hope for drifting.
Great lighting inside the tunnel, but what's with drivers' helmet being immune to that and staying bright like it was self illuminated ? I know T10 wants helmets to be visible now that they're customizeable but this is wrong. Oh well, i'll just paint my helmet black.

Unrelated:
So according to the IGN guy who claimed he had raced in Hockenheim 'in the middle of the night', T10 said night is in for some tracks.
That's expected (that night racing would only possible in a few selected tracks) but i wonder how long it will be before the guy just admits he simply misunderstood.
Who knows, maybe that's what their big TGS reveal is.
After all, Badned did come here telling us not to expect a total of 11 new locations, but didn't say anything about night.
Anyway, disc space for textures is only a problem when you have to depict stuff that has to appear significantly different at night (billboards, buildings on which you'd expect windows to be lit etc) but racetracks wouldn't probably require different textures, just different lighting.

Majanew

Banned
How am I supposed to marvel at the IBL if these tards won't keep the cam behind the car so I can see it best? Geez. Tired of the constant dashboard and bonnet cam.

cbox

I say different times of day, and even moving clouds would be more important to me than night racing. I can't stand night racing in gt5 and I really don't see myself changing. Same goes for weather. Unless they can achieve pgr4 quality weather, I don't want it :(

Majanew

Banned
Looks better, but I guess the whole "10 times better" was just talking about while you're in Autovista?

It's nice they toned down the green-ness of the grass. Looks a little more realistic not being so bright.

benzy

eso76 said:
Anyway, disc space for textures is only a problem when you have to depict stuff that has to appear significantly different at night (billboards, buildings on which you'd expect windows to be lit etc) but racetracks wouldn't probably require different textures, just different lighting.

The lighting and shadows are pre-baked, so they'd have to switch in new textures for night racing. Otherwise you'll see day-time shadows during night races, and there's a bunch of pre-baked shadows on the racetracks, such as for buildings, road, mountains, etc.

benzy

shinnn said:
Anyone speak french?

Dan Interview talking about night racing, weather and Porsche
http://www.forzamotorsport.fr/news/gamescom-2011-parlons-de-forza-4-avec-dan-greenawalt-40124.html

The only thing for sure that I got is that will be 150 levels instead of 50.
Oh and no talk about Porsche hehe.

google translator:

Gamescom 2011 : Parlons de Forza 4 avec Dan Greenawalt

My little interview with Dan Greenawalt ended a few minutes and then I come back to you to share the highlights. For the record, I dug up a plan of hell to be quiet: a press room to myself ... there are indeed two press centers in Gamescom, but this close to the main entrance is obviously busy, wired connections are under attack and struggling to keep WiFi. The other is strangely empty, which allows me to do my review in silent wonder. I stop to tell my life, you are certainly more interested in my meeting with Dan. Know that I threatened and told that you torture me if I did not get all the answers, but he was ruthless ...

Forza Motorsport 4 offer he races at night? No communication is over for now Dan Greenawalt told me. However, the races will have lighting conditions pre-established, it will be possible to run in the morning, in full afternoon or dusk, as we have discovered the screenshots of the Hockenheim circuit. However, these conditions are not dynamic, thus understand they will not change in the race. Exit therefore hopes for day / night cycles for the endurance races.

I immediately diverted to the weather, but I had to answer simple, if they were to be four variables in Forza Motorsport, they would be in any case not being tested. As for the rain, I tried to cheat by asking if there would be various types of gum, including rain tires, but if Dan has confirmed that there would actually several types of gum, he immediately added that He would not release at this time on the weather.

As for the tires, it will not explode, but you can wear them threadbare. As levels of players also since it will no longer 50, but 150 levels to pass. Turn 10 has indeed seen his copy, and drew on data from the multiplayer mode to establish a new scale of progression. According to Dan, to reach level 150, it would take 18 months so intense. Nothing was said, however, on what these levels would bring more.

When I asked if it would be possible to paint the windows of cars for Forza 4, I was told that the mode of painting new album is very similar to the previous ... Dan still has confirmed that players could import the layer groups realized in the third part to put on cars, 4. Finally, there will always be impossible to use graphics from a PC for use in the game short, all this may well look like Forza 3, as the management of pit stops.

As for the presence or absence of Porsche, you can not learn, the development studio did not want to communicate on the subject for now. There is always some hope, although I admit it hard to understand why Turn 10 would like to keep the mystery. After all, he'll have to tell us one day. Discussions are perhaps still ongoing with the current holder of the license?

Here's what I learned. You should know that our time was short and Dan tried to do the same format as the videos you've ever seen. You can imagine that I took advantage of any opening to put a question. I did not get to interview face to face. Anyway, I certainly had exactly the same answers. Anyway, it made me severely pleasure of meeting him, I even got to shake his hand! Now, I rush to Microsoft event this evening, hoping to glean a few more juicy info!

G Rom

I'll read it and report back after that. ;)

Edit :
Basically, Dan said :
No comments on weather yet.
No comments on night racing yet.
No comments on Porsche yet.

150 levels = 18 months playing the game a lot
Alternate time of day aren't dynamic.

caramac

MikeDub said:
Do we know if silverstone has been given a new lick of paint to bring it up to date?

I was wondering this as well, hope they have the new layout with the new pit complex.

Edit, also Mugello has a new permanent Grandstand.

new+Mugello+grandstand.JPG

shinnn said:
Anyone speak french?

Dan Interview talking about night racing, weather and Porsche
http://www.forzamotorsport.fr/news/gamescom-2011-parlons-de-forza-4-avec-dan-greenawalt-40124.html

The only thing for sure that I got is that will be 150 levels instead of 50.
Oh and no talk about Porsche hehe.

It's just a big "no comment yet" on everything. For weather the interviewer tries to make Dan speak asking about tires and wet tires; Dan confirms that the game will have different types of tires (of course), but again, no comment on variable (or even static) weather conditions.

And it confirms different times of day, as we already know (no dynamic transitions here either).

Akira

I'm ready to be disappointed in the number of new tracks (looks like I can count them in one hand) but anyone else excited to see FM3 tracks such as Camino in different time/conditions rendered in new FM4 engine perfection? :D

G Rom

CaramaC said:
I was wondering this as well, hope they have the new layout with the new pit complex.

It still the same old version, same with Suzuka.
Hockenheim, Infineon and TGTT will be up to date at least...

Jamesways

Akira said:
I'm ready to be disappointed in the number of new tracks (looks like I can count them in one hand) but anyone else excited to see FM3 tracks such as Camino in different time/conditions rendered in new FM4 engine perfection? :D

Yes! Laguna, RA, the Ring, etc will be great to see in various light.

As miffed as I am about not having any new ALMS tracks, it'll be nice to race them in custom lobbies at dusk. At least it'll feel like it's getting late in an endurance race.

watership

It does my black heart good to see so many cynical and resolved posts here. At the very least, we're getting an upgraded Forza with better graphics, Top Gear, Autovista.

The small, teeny tiny part of my heart that's made of pure ultra-brite HYPE is still there.

Waiting.

jcutner

Akira said:

makes me think
after 2 years of incubation
we have the same game, but with better lighting and jeremy clarkson

eso76

flyinpiranha said:
Holy shit, at 0:35 you can REALLY see the difference in the lighting. And the grass looks so much more realistic.

AM HYPE!

and that's offscreen versus modded fm3 direct feed.

benzy

Akira said:

Who said that track will have alt. time of day though?

Dan said the game will only have a select number of tracks with different lighting conditions.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312666/forza-4-is-five-weeks-from-completion/

Top Bottom